2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 270 of 540 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger - I well know the two steps back, one step forward feeling! Hang in there.

Rmaple - That sounds terrible! Wasp stings can be nasty.

torquenale - That is a great story! I admire your courage to play in such a public place. Way to go!

I am not sure this is an AOTW, only a realization. In working on the Kuhlau Sonatina today, my teacher made it clear that I am still not playing with as good of physical balance and arm weight as I could. How can she tell? Some involuntary motion happens somewhere else, such as my leg, when I get to a tricky spot. This Sonatina is fast and transparent, and shows all the faults. I can't hide behind the pedal wink. So, it is forcing me to face my weaknesses. It is teaching me a lot. It is humbling to see that I still have a looooong way to go!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SwissMs your teacher is amazing. We all have a long way to go (some - like me smile a bit farther than others smile ) but she certainly is helping you to make your journey a smoother one. How wonderful.

I have my first lesson after 3 months tomorrow. ack!!!!

I hope to delight my teacher with my Grieg Watchman, and Rebikov's Evening in the Meadow.
Heck, I will be pleased if I get through them smoothly - I am bound to be nervous on day 1 back to school!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMs, that "physical balance and arm weigh" observation is very interesting. Can you tell more details about it?

Casinintaly, I wish you a pleasant school year!

Last edited by CarlosCC; 09/17/13 07:08 AM.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
SwissMs, that "physical balance and arm weigh" observation is very interesting. Can you tell more details about it?

As I understand it, any lack of balance in the body position inhibits the touch on the piano and affects accuracy and tone. Body weight should be centered low in the pelvis and slightly forward. This frees up the shoulders, allowing the arm weight to be transferred from the shoulders to the keys. Even if I am playing at the extremities of the keyboard, or crossing over in front of me, I try to keep my weight centered on my seat bones, and not collapse side to side or forward or back.

When I have noticeable involuntary leg movement or my playing seems out of balance, my teacher has had me stand up, and keeping my back straight, do a knee bend of 20 degrees or so, and then play. This completely isolates the arms from the rest of the body. I am able to transfer more weight to the keys and get the feel of playing with arm weight instead of holding at the wrist.

It is difficult to describe, but I am beginning so "sink" into the keys better and I am producing a better tone as a result. I hope that makes sense!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, SwissMS - I've never really understood the weight thing, so this sounds like a good way to experience it - maybe it will help my forte!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, thanks SwissM, for the nice clear description. What you're talking about fits in nicely with the kind of weight and movement explorations that I've been working on.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
My lesson went well - I wasn't too nervous.

I played my Fughetta, Evening in the Meadow, and the Grieg Watchman piece.

Fughetta I stumbled where I thought I would but recovered.
Evening in the Meadow went reasonably well, though the pedal on the school's piano is MUCH different than mine and it threw me off a bit. T suggested I play it even slower, which suits me as I think it sound better slower, but had thought it was meant to be faster. I was glad to be wrong.

Grieg was going fine until my teacher stopped me pointing out that I was playing a B instead of an A in the last sets of chords throughout the intermezzo!!!!! ack. I managed to learn it incorrectly.

I was a bit distressed with the error in the Grieg piece and a few other small things I hadn't got quite right, (mostly connected to pedalling) but he was very encouraging and said these things happen during periods of independent study and it isn't a big deal to fix them. Of course I know that, but it was nice to have him say it specifically.

Overall, it was a good lesson and we went over things for me to work on to improve these three pieces. We didn't get to the other 3 which was fine with me as they were weaker.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice to hear you had a good return to lessons, C. Today I had a decent one too, following what was probably my worst ever last week. Sigh....and so it goes. We have reinstituted an easier weekly throw-away again in addition to the more challenging stuff. I have to say that is so much fun after working exclusively at the bleeding edge of my ability for quite a long time. Bless my teacher for sensing when I need some fluff to wipe that overly-determined look off my face.

Oh, before I forget. Can you point me to where I pick up one of those sig thingies for the quarterly recitals?

SwissMs, your teacher sounds like she really knows how to stretch your technique as the repertoire advances. She must have had some fantastic teachers herself.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My achievement of the week: I made an appointment for my first lesson with a real teacher! I am very excited. My plan all along was to start lessons this month, so I am on schedule.

Funny story, when the secretary asked about my piano experience I mentioned that I played on my own for eight months. She paused, then said I better assign you to a teacher that is good at breaking bad habits. blush

I am already nervous... the stress I put myself through...

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
My AOTW was, after being away from the piano for 2+ weeks while on vacation, playing the day after we got home for someone other than Mr. Stubbie. Okay, it was my sister, who was visiting, but I was acutely aware of being rusty and having someone else listening in. My playing wasn't good, but I didn't keel over in a dead faint or anything, for which I am thankful (and somewhat surprised). smile

Torquenale, congrats on playing the public piano at the airport. I encountered only one piano on our trip. It was an old upright in the lodge on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It was closed up and had a "Do Not Play" sign taped to it. Sheesh!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
scorpio: good luck with your new phase of study! Let us know how it goes.

Stubbie: it is always a challenge to play for someone "live" no matter how sympathetic an audience they might be!

Jim - glad you're teacher has been sensitive to your state of mind. I bet your new "throw away" pieces are going to be at a significantly different level than they were a year ago! smile

To get the recital thingy in your signature put the following link inside img brackets.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ABF_Medals/1medal.jpg

After the next recital change it to 2medals
After the 10th change it to 10xmedals smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ron, I hope you are feeling better now.

Scorpio, sounds like a big step, and a wise secretary. smile Best of luck. I wish I had time and cash for a teacher.

Cas, sounds like you are off to a good start, and it's good to have you back.

My daughter and I got to meet dynamobt at the Mason & Hamlin factory tour, which was a lot of fun. From the tour thread...

I put together a little slideshow:
[video:youtube]9Uvx388KcCE[/video]

Sadly, this is not me playing. It is a stock audio clip from YouTube's Video Editor, called "Talkies" -- it seemed to fit well for the feel of an old fashioned factory.

I played what I know of Clair de Lune (a little more than half, "the easy parts" as I say) on a model CC, their 9' concert grand. Most everyone was gone by then, except Frank & Kathy and the M&H West Coast Sales Manager. Even so, I was extremely amped up with a lot of adrenaline, I think because I was looking forward to it for so long, and my hands shook a lot. I did well enough to be pleased given the circumstances -- even measure #17, which is my toughest one -- and Kathy clapped at the end, which was very kind of her.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
AOTW - I received those much longed for words from my teacher "You have really improved!" at my lesson today. Like JimF, I have returned to easier pieces so I can focus on technique. My teacher calls it "filling in the gaps". It is good to know it is starting to work!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SwissMS -- ah magic words indeed! It is funny how we know in our own hearts and minds that we have improved, and yet, when the teacher says it--- it seems more real!
Congratulations.

TallGuy - that tour looks like good fun - and your daughter is a sweetie-pie!

Another ATOW...or maybe of the decade - not piano related.... Mr. Casinitaly and I are signed up for ballroom dancing lessons ! woohoo!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Poor poor Mr. Casinitaly. I've felt his pain before. Tell him not to worry, it will be over soon enough. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's a week that I'm back home (after 15 days without practicing) and I don't have any piano - related achievement to mention. I'm just trying to complete my homework for the summer (partially self-inflicted) and, as usual, I find that it was too much.
I'm waiting for my first lesson to give me more motivation, but it will be in 10-15 days (children's activity weekly planning to be completed before I can think about mine) and I know that the teacher will find in my playing many flaws that I'm not able to hear by myself...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The story that Carlos told of sharing his music with his mother inspired me. For my mom's birthday last week, I put together two CDs of my ABF recital performances, including liner notes. She loved them.

My mom was the one who sat down with me when I was little and showed me how to play my first song -- "Do, a Deer". And she gave me one of her old books to learn with -- John Thompson's Grade 1. With six small children to take care of, that's about all she had time for, but it was a wonderful start. So this was a thank you for that gift she gave me long ago.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
P
P
That's great MaryBee!!

Working on RCM Grade 9
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Scorpio....That's a good one! Great you're getting a teacher.

TallGuy... Must have been great to play a piano like that.

MaryBee... Such a nice gift to be able to give mom. Something like that is worth more than diamonds.

Oh Cas... I bet your husband is really looking forward to the dancing. Probably with a modest attitude. I know I'd like to be able to ballroom dance. Just to be able to. Please mention to him a Russian saying I know: Life is movement, and movement is life, and dance is a celebration of life.

If you all noticed the Joplin thread. I'm actually gonna participate in my first recital! I think it's funny. The music itself. I keep telling Whizbang that it's all her fault I stumbled into Joplin at this time. smile I somehow take to it. I think it's all the rhythm in it. It is helping me to learn. Making it easier. Getting my two hands to play at the same time is a major problem for me. My teacher says I'm going good. She always points out that I play my chords without looking at my hands. That's real good? (at this point?) Put that together with Joplin's original work. Kinda like a duck taking to water. I'm flirting with the original. Even though I only signed up for the easiest "A" part only.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
So much moving and inspirational stuff going on here at the moment.

I'm just ambling along as usual, nothing much to report. Soon I will be going to hear some more advanced students play again. I could play something there myself, but I think I'd rather wait until I'm at a higher level. It's something to aim towards I guess, though I don't have much desire to perform anyway. I would rather do it when I have something to actually show off. Another reason is that I am centre of attention a lot in my job, so when I'm not at work I prefer to be one of the onlookers. I have analysed it a lot, and concluded that I'm not scared of performing; I just don't like to perform something that isn't up to my own high standards. Perfectionism strikes again. There - I have successfully talked myself out of it for a few more years, job done.

Last edited by Toastie; 09/21/13 07:02 AM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
Page 270 of 540 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission