2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Another insightful column from Graham Fitch, here's a quote:

Healthy perfectionism drives us ever onwards and upwards, and is vital for stellar progress and excellence. ... Neurotic perfectionism cripples us because we forget we are human beings and not machines ...

As always, I have no commercial ties or affiliation. I am sharing what is timely topic on the forum, as the curtain goes up for the many perfectionists that participate in the ABF quarterly recital. Obviously, not all participants are perfectionists, but I'd guess that half are candidates for the label.

Read the entire article at:
http://practisingthepiano.com/myth-perfection/

As I have gotten older and hopefully wiser, I feel like I am getting better at dropping the obsessive, compulsive, neurotic forms of perfectionism. I credit a great deal of that to my years of volunteering in mental health. One phrase that is helpful "endorse for the effort, not the outcome." If I make a good effort, then I can learn to live with the result.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That was a really good article, Sandtiger. Thanks for posting.

I need to keep this handy for my next neurotic episode.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Perfectionists often have the hardest time composing music or writing songs. The inner critic can be a dictator. I know one would-be prose writer that hated everything she wrote, so much so that it wasn't saved, any paper copies were shredded. How can anyone advance if their neurosis is like that?

I was reviewing some comments on the Coursera that I am taking on songwriting. One is along the lines of: "give yourself permission to write crap." Kenny Werner, in his book, Effortless Mastery, talks about the concept of "no wrong notes," when improvising.

Like I said in my opening, effort counts for a lot. Almost everyone accepts that when it comes to learning to play piano, but more than a few want to be able to write at high level without putting in much time or effort. Endorse for the effort, that and process are what a person controls, not the outcome, not the level of aptitude.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 02/15/14 03:04 PM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Fortunately for the human race, babies are not perfectionists. They stand up, fall on their rears, stand up, take a few tottering steps, fall down again, then try again. And again.

Next thing you know, you're talking them down from the top of the bookcase.

One of my brothers is a perfectionist and it just sucks the joy out of most things. I am not a perfectionist, at the piano or in my daily life. I might aim for really, really good, but I will settle for pretty good. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Fortunately for the human race, babies are not perfectionists. They stand up, fall on their rears, stand up, take a few tottering steps, fall down again, then try again. And again.

Next thing you know, you're talking them down from the top of the bookcase.

One of my brothers is a perfectionist and it just sucks the joy out of most things. I am not a perfectionist, at the piano or in my daily life. I might aim for really, really good, but I will settle for pretty good. smile

Thanks for the reply Stubbie. I do think part of it is nature, because some babies are more fussy than others, some more easy going, some more likely to cry, some more likely to sleep through the night. I tend to believe that this gets reinforced by experiences (nurture).

I never thought of myself as a perfectionist until well into my adult life and someone tossed the word at me. It took me a while to understand why the adjective fit me. In the end, it isn't all a bad thing. However, like so many things for me, finding a balance is what tends to work.

While neurotic perfectionists may sometimes get more done. They almost certainly enjoy their achievements less. For the vast majority on the beginners forum, piano is a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. Keep it fun.

If any of the many perfectionists reading this want to add their comments please do so. Or perhaps you are like I was, "What? Me? Perfectionist? Not me?" Yes, you.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
""endorse for the effort, not the outcome."

The effort has got to produce an outcome. A musical one, in this case; If a better outcome is achieved by dropping notes on complex pieces, I`ll do it. If I have time and skill levels to obviate the need to do this then I will do otherwise.

But a guy only has so much patience even if he`s got all the time in the world . . .Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission