2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#55. Sam Rose- I greatly enjoyed listening to your Chopin. I think you have a great feel for the piece, especially the slower careful parts (the quicker runs seem a bit stilted like you just don't yet have them comfortably under your fingers). I had to listen twice... and if this keeps happening I will never get through over 50 works... smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Next Batch:

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks This seems like such a poignant, searching sort of piece. Your slow, measured tempo really brought out this character. Nice job.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2 Wow! Absolutely gorgeous playing. This is such an exquisite nocturne and you just make it sing. Lovely.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Really nice job for such a short time playing. You have a good feeling for the music. I like you addition of “sausage fingers”. It makes it real!

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega Wonderful composition and a very interesting story to go with it. Very enjoyable listening.

41. jotur/Cathy turner - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet Really nice little waltz dance number, well played! It sounds like fun and you had me swaying with the music.

42. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - Locke'd Out Again This is a very interesting, New Age type piece. You do an excellent job with it for only 2 months experience! Well done!

43. Ganddalf - A piece for me to play This a beautiful piece, Gandalf! You have impressive composition skills. Very enjoyable listening.

44. TrapperJohn - Beauty and the Beast (from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast") I completely agree with you on the Disney songs. They are beautiful and timeless. The book you listed as the source of this piece is one of my “sit down in the evening and just Play” books. Such a joy! You do a wonderful job with this one, expressing the joy and determination of the theme. Nice job!

45. Pathbreaker - Capriccio in F-sharp minor, Op. 76 no. 1 This definitely has a restlessness about it. I like the tempo that you chose. I would think it would sound frenzied at a faster tempo. It is such a complex piece, and the tempo you chose allows the listener to experience it all. Very nicely played!

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads I love your soft, pensive improvisations. This is quite an interesting mix of different thoughts and feelings. Very nice!

47. (Was)TrueBeginner - Purity Very nice composition! It has a very uplifting character, full of hope. Good listening!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So much good work in this recital....another batch in the middle.

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez Loved it, Ed. I was flooded with images of struggle and hope so beautifully expressed in you playing.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major Great job on this nocturne. Your ornamentation was fantastic, particularly the long trill at the end leading into that descending run. So sweet. thumb

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano) I listened with great interest because my teacher has hinted that a Debussy will be on my plate soon. You handled those big chords beautifully, and I loved your decrescendos, they are so smooth and expressive. Really wonderful work here.

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon Nice steady rhythm, good balance of the hands and a nice musical feel to the phrases. Not a fan of the music either, but very well played.

23. ajames - Laura Ah, an old favorite. You keep it moving along and I thought your pedaling was nicely done. As you keep playing this it will mature under your fingers. thumb

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse Not much of a Einaudi fan but I knew our resident tv star would bring something special to the party. You are just plain musical, CarlosCC, and I think you could make anything sound interesting. I wasn't disappointed. thumb

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves Really admire your nice relaxed touch and little stylistic transitions in this submission. I love the spontaneity.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3 I like the way you clearly and evenly enunciate all the notey right hand runs. You just keep getting better and better each recital. Nice job on this one.

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt I have never played anything nine minutes long, but when I do I hope it is half as good as this submission. Very expressive playing. I especially loved the middle section where you have a very nice touch with the underlying left hand. And the great, powerful ending.... wow

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor Like your interpretation, Jake. At two years you are doing very well with this beautiful Chopin prelude.

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423 Congrats on the new piano....it sounds great with this Scarlatti. I loved the harmonies here and you managed the little ornamental elements nicely. thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Oh Lord this came so quickly, and I already have reviews!
Thank you so much SwissMS, Sam Rose, Monica K., TheodorN, Mr. Super-Hunky, Amaruk, Casinitaly, and peterws for listening and commenting. I enjoy your kind words even if I know it's more than I deserve. And thank you for putting up with my slow tempos. I really need to improve my speed but my brain is already full with all the other things that need to be taken care of.

I see there are so many beginners of only a few months or even weeks this time! I'm in awe of these performances. I have a lot to learn from you all.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I didn't fully cover the last recital and won't do this one in its entirety either but I do want to congratulate everyone on their submissions. It's great to see, and hear, so many new additions, not just to the recital but to the piano as well. It's a very brave thing to do with such a short career behind you but you can look back at this later and if you're still playing there WILL be improvement.

Good to see regular friends again and the return of recent absentees, too, as well as those from as long ago as Recital IV!!

Thanks again to those responsible for this very beneficial opportunity to interact with, contribute to and enjoy the variety of music from fellow travellers on this long, difficult and often lonely road.

I have listened to and enjoyed all submissions and will again, I'm sure, but my comments I'll restrict to a few pieces, though not necessarily a few words, for those that I hope know me well enough now that they won't be alarmed!

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2
Good job, Andy. Nice control of dynamics and careful observance of the articulation marks. The hours of work come through in it.

I don't want to detract from the performance because you've done well here and either four or eight minutes is hard enough with only as many years behind you and I know this isn't fresh fare for you but if you were thinking of improving this in the near future I'd prefer to hear a little more contrast between the Pianos and Fortes that Herr B. is quite fussy about. In the Minuetto particularly I'd like to hear more of a difference between the Forte of M19, the Piano of M21 and the cresc. of M27. Dynamics aren't easy to remember when a piece has been dropped from daily exercise and recalling the notes themselves is often hard enough.

There's a tricky section from M36-M47 that's a touchstone of timing. This may well be the result of it not being in your daily practise for a little while so you may choose to ignore it but the quavers into triplets into dotted notes work better, I think, if the bar's metre is brought out more. You might discuss this with your teacher. And I would try and separate the last two chords if I were doing this myself.

Overall a fine job and I gave it several listens. You only have to listen to the first few bars of this and compare it with any passage you've submitted in the last year, I went back to Invention 4, to see just how much you've developed in the last quarter.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939
I'm so glad I decided to watch the video before I posted my comment! This is a really disciplined performance and I enjoyed it very much. The dynamics are much better on the video than the mp3.

I know you have a digital and the bass dies quickly but nothing Bach would have used except a church organ would have sustained that opening chord for three measures. I've not actually played a clavichord either so I don't know how that would respond and I don't know whether your Casio has 'string resonance' but the initial chord is held more to bring out the sympathetic resonance from the RH than with the expectation of sustaining the sound for that time so a loud bash at the beginning isn't needed.

In fact a softer strike would give the impression of lasting longer than a loud note because the fading away would be less distinct but loud notes fade very quickly from audibility. This would allow you to build up to a forte in M4. I wonder if a more obvious crescendo might work well through M8-12? Certainly I can feel increasing tension in the mp3 version where it seems you're straining to bring out more volume as you move along and the instrument isn't responding well enough - I enjoyed that. I don't get that from the video as clearly but it might be easier to pull off if you start with a softer tone. Just an idea.

It's as an afterthought, after re-reading your notes, that I thought I'd mention your tempo. What you're doing is fine. I never even noticed the tempo! Bach's preludes aren't awfully reliant on tempo so 'slower than required' is a lot slower than this! If you continue to play this piece it will grow with you and the tempo pick up from familiarity. If you always aim to play it at this speed it will always sound as in control as this even though you'll be playing it faster.

The pencil and eraser is a good idea but I'd lift the page off the music rack to erase and brush the rubbings on the floor rather than risk them getting between keys. I used to take the piano apart every year or two and vacuum under the keys and elsewhere when I had acoustics - my wife wishes I'd think about doing the house that often smile . It's surprising how much the dust accumulates and insulates the sound. I have a desk next to the piano now and use that or my knee as support for erasure.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major
This is good, Jeff, and it's great that you can put yourself into it and make it your own. A lot of players just can't do that. And it's fabulous how much you've improved your reading ability.

I know you've read it correctly in M1-6 but you introduce a semiquaver (sixteenth) instead of a quaver (eighth) in M7 that continues through the piece and I don't know if it's a deliberate interpretive idea or something that's developed below your conscious hearing but there are places, in particular M12, M20 and the penultimate measure, where it stands out more and might just detract a little or come over perhaps as an affectation in such a well known piece.

Your trill at the end is well controlled and as you can play so well you might consider slowing down deliberately just for the fioriture in in M16, M24 and elsewhere without compromising your preferred tempo too much. I don't know how well it might work but I'd prefer to hear all the notes under control. What do you think?

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement
Cheryl, it's been very distressing reading about your recent neighbour issues and I know you're a little disappointed with this submission yourself but in all honesty you do have reason to cheer. I know you like to hear your progresss and this Allegro is a very good example of how your tone, discipline and control have grown under your new tutelage and it's a difficult piece to articulate well. There's a sureness in your touch that's not been present since your Sneakin' Round, a while back, but it's now accompanied by a depth of tone and deliberate articulation you've not had before and this is a much harder piece. And all this amid a troublesome period with less opportunity to practise and record than you'd have liked.

You've observed the phrase marks well and made a good distinction between legato, non legato and staccato even if you've overlapped the legato here and there (e.g. the start of M3, I know I'm nit-picking) and maintained a good tempo, certainly fast enough to bring out the spirit of the piece and you've added a nice piano for M41 and following (though you might try and reduce the LH a little if you get the chance), which gives a nice contrast, and got some lovely ritards in there too showing your true command of the piece.

This is really a sound addition to your stable of submissions. Well done or brava e complimenti as you'd prefer!

Oh, and thank you for your thought at Christmas wink it was very much appreciated despite my negligence to respond.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 - Sweet, well played, very accurate and very musical. Well done!

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart - Thanks for bringing this piece to us. The 1st minute reminds me a well known piece of the portuguese composer Rodrigo Leao. And then, all the arrangement has many conincident sounds with Mr Super Hunky's work. So, here are two artist I admire. Well done!

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 - Richard, I think you did a clever choise. You gave me an excelent example about playing in a relaxed way. I'm not a Bach admirer, but I think you did o very good work!

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 - Nice ballade.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major - A unique nocture played in a unique way. This is real, real good. Thanks for sharing.

06. George Schiro - Heartache - George, I love original compositions. This one reminds me some spanish music sounds which I'm familiar with. Good job!

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 - I loved the echo work you did in the LH. Beautifull!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette - My friend, this piece has all the qualities I've come to expect from your playing. It's a delightful work, and I can immediately realize it's you because your playing style is unique. Very good!

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 - Diana, although I’m not really into the Bach style of composing, I think you did a solid job on this piece. Congratulations!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 - Doris, what a surprise. This Mendelssohn piece is beautifull and I can see why you love it. Very, very good. Looking forward to hearing you live in Lisbon!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
My third batch.....

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks Schummann's works are so lovely. This piece suits its title - it is poetic, as is your performance. Your dynamics and phrasing are beautifully done.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2 Ah....more Chopin. Thank you for the backgroun notes - I love this sort of info - both on you as the performer and on the piece! This is the perfect music for a grey Sunday afternoon - soothing to the soul, calming for the spirit. Your performance is rich, graceful, elegant - your piano singing under your fingertips is a real delight to listen to (and the video was great- loved the spotlight! ). Complimenti!

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Sounds like you're meeting and overcoming some significant challenges with music reading - good for you. This is a wonderul piece of music - I saw the film but it was a while ago and I don't recal hearing this piece. I think you've given a splendid performance. The Saussage Fingers Remix was entertaining smile

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega What a splendid orgininal composition! I enjoyed reading your background info...I had heard about the Trail of Tears but had no idea it was connected to a gold rush! I love the drama in your piece, it calls up the imagery of mist laden hills, and sadness, there is a melancholy undertone and yet as the finale comes up I feel that the message is one of optimism and hope. Beautiful music indeed.

41. jotur/Cathy turner - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet What a delightful period piece! You've definitely got the feel for this type of music and your piano voice really suits the music. Did you use a particular setting? I love that people sing along with you when you play ...if I knew the words I'd sing too! Absolutely charming!

42. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - Locke'd Out Again Welcome to the recital ! I like this piece - It makes me think of the raindrop scene in an old Disney Film - (Fantasia or Bambi..I'm not sure which) - for someone with only 2 months under their belt you've got really good control over your dynamics! Nice work!

43. Ganddalf - A piece for me to play Inge, you are too modest! This is a really beautiful piece of music! I can't imagine being able to play so well, nevermind being able to compose something this beautiful. Bored???? Please - if this is boring, feel free to bore me as often as you like. I thoroughly enjoyed this - I hope you'll play it for us live at the EPP!

44. TrapperJohn - Beauty and the Beast (from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast") TJ - I just love this theme of music from films and stageshows you've been delighting us with these past several recitals! This was one of my favourites from the moment I first heard it. You have really found "your" style - this is a simple tune, but oh, it does speak to the heart - and so does your performance. You've really let the music swell richly with power and emotion and I'm listening with a huge smile and a feeling of peace in my heart. I'm charmed.
(I haven't seen Saving Mr. Banks yet, but I can't wait. It will be released here this month) I particularly love the opening of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. When I get up early to take the train to the "big city" , I have to walk through our little town, technically a city, but with the soul of a village....and I see, and greet, the shopkeepers sweeping the sidewalks in front of their storefronts, rolling up the blinds and letting down the awnings, the waiters setting out the tables in front of the cafés....I often feel I'm living in Belle's world...though I think I'm more content that she!

45. Pathbreaker - Capriccio in F-sharp minor, Op. 76 no. 1 Well, it is an undisputable fact that I know very little of Brahms work. I was surprised at how modern this sounds. I was also interested to note your tempo while looking at the score. I would never have imagined that tempo with those 16th notes, but in my (uneducated, I confess) opinion - it works very well! There's a lot of drama and I love the rich bass thorughout the piece. You've worked the magic of making it sound effortless - which we all knows means you've worked very very hard on the piece. Bravo indeed!

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads Glen - I always love hearing your music. You have such a distinct style - and your piano has one of the most beautiful sounds we hear in these recitals. There is a quality to your music that immediately cuts through stress and anxieties and creates a sense of well being - I am unfailingly willing to just sit back and lose myself in your music. Wonderful, wonderful stuff!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
11. Jazzwee - Wave - I'm Portuguese so I've solid connections to Brazilian culture and I'm an admirer of their style of music. So, I'm in a good position to say that you kept that "Brazilian" spirit and soul with this work. Your improvisation is awesome. I love the background sound btw. Thanks!

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 - Ah... Peyton. What to say? Your tempo is just right and your playing is wonderful, as usual. Great job!

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin - Sam, thanks for bringing this Debussy piece. I love peaceful music and I love this one. I was very calm after listening it. Thanks for sharing.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 - Wow earlofmar, Beethoven..? I think this is brilliantly played for someone with 14 months of experience. Good, good job!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 - timmyab, this is so, so beautiful! I am amazed. Thanks for sharing.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro - Great job making it sing. I love it!

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 - Alessandra, I really like your Scarlatti. I think your tempo is perfect. Looking forward to hearing you live in Lisbon!

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell - Jazztpt, my friend... I feel fortunate to be able to hear your music and to know you. The rest of the world should also be able to say the same.

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez - Ed, you captured the mood of the piece perfectly. Very good!

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major - Ah, Chopin! I love Chopin and I never get tired of hearing it. Good job!

edit: wrong piece number/comment

Last edited by CarlosCC; 02/17/14 11:22 AM.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Originally Posted by Amaruk

06. George Schiro - Heartache
What a great original! Well played! Did you write it down or is this all from memory?

Thank you Amaruk. To answer your question, neither actually. I remember the main phrase and then the rest flows from there. If I had the ability to write it down, I might. But for now it's all just in the fingers. I'm not even sure how they do it.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Richard, thank you for taking the time to comment my piece in depth. I will definitely try different dynamics. The music says forte all the way through but the climaxes sort of came out by themselves without me really thinking about it - and yes there was no more "loudness available" for me at one point. I want to start working on preludes 999 and 941 soon but I will keep trying to improve on this one for a long time.

The sustain on my piano is actually much better than I thought it would be on an upright, and that first chord can be heard for its full duration, although not so much in the recording. A note in the middle of the keyboard goes on for well over 20 seconds even if it's not very loud to begin with.

I won't say anything on your sinfonia and invention, except that I loved them and your piano sounds so much like an acoustic one. A delightful listen!

Last edited by sinophilia; 02/17/14 03:39 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wonderful recital! Still a few more to listen.

Another batch

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2
Lovely sonata, happy that it didn't get lost! Very cheerful and enjoyable first part and I have to confess that I was singing to the second part as it was the theme used for the French cartoon series "Once Upon a Time... Life, Human Body", etc, which I watched when I was an "old" kid. Both lovely played, very nice contrast.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart
Gosh, Monika! Thank you so much for this piece, it is really flooded with feelings! In just 2 seconds it got me completely hooked. Your playing is so emotive and expressive, it really touched my heart. And then you said "please don't be too hard!" That IS hard! Not only technically, it is very hard being able to transmit all those feelings and you made it so effortlessly, every single phrase is so passionate. I want to play like that!!!!

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8
Fantastic clear rendition, both hands and all fingers do their job in perfect flow. Lovely to hear, particularly the Invention.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3
Very hard and complex piece! I like the different moods in it, lovely softer part and a huge contrast with the strong parts. Really enjoyed listening to it.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major
Absolutely gorgeous piece and what a fantastic version of yours. And played on a Bosendorfer, not less. I can imagine all mouths open in the music shop!

06. George Schiro - Heartache
Very expressive, with lots of passion. Hot blooded Spanish touches and a very dark sad part still with a rebellious feeling, loved it. Gorgeous composition and rendition.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2
Another surprise as I hadn't heard this before. Fantastic playing, very clear melody and great control of the left hand heavy chords. I really enjoyed it and will put it in my list to learn... maybe in 10 years or so...

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette
Out of curiosity I have listened to the original version too. Really lovely piece and what a great cover/version/new piano solo of yours! But PLEASE get the sound right, I feel that I might have lost a lot by your choice of recording, it does sound tinned. Many thanks for introducing this composer btw, I'll keep an eye on his work.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939
Lovely Bach little piece, by no means easy. Very well played with lots of confidence.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6
Another new piece to me (I'm very ignorant!). Simply beautiful piece, lovey flow and great playing.

11. Jazzwee - Wave
Just want to get a martini and relax with this one! How easy you make it sound! Love live improvisations when everybody complements and support each other like this. Let's make it 2 martinis...

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4
Another completely new piece to me. Sounds extremely difficult, exactly how many fingers do you have? Really enjoyed this one, but not a clue how to dance it, though!

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin
What a lovely piece - again completely unknown by me, I really should make an effort as I'm missing a lot of great pieces. I had a look at your video... I couldn't fix my eyes on the notes, they were far too many of them, moving and flying around like crazy! How easy you make it sound, and what a difficult piece it really is! Loved it. As it has an Oriental touch I was curious enough as to google it a bit, so I learned a lot thanks to your entry, thanks.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9
Lovely piece, really well played. Wish it were longer!

Last edited by evamar; 02/17/14 04:12 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I should be practicing but can't stop going back for more... think I'll listen to end of the list before turning to the eager-beavers at the front.

41. jotur/Cathy turner - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet I liked it, Cathy, and I did feel like waltzing. You have great rhythm...so steady throughout. Nice job.

42. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - Locke'd Out Again Very interesting and quite nice, especially for the short time you have been playing. Some elements of this piece would normally be very challenging for a beginner, but you handled them beautifully.

43. Ganddalf - A piece for me to play I figured this would be a treat and I figured right. Your playing is always beautiful, but this time we get treated to your lovely composition. Reminds me in parts of Ravel or Debussy, and could be part of a movie score. If this is crap, I'll carry your bucket any time grin

44. TrapperJohn - Beauty and the Beast (from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast") That was quite a performance TrapperJohn. Your love of the music comes through loud and clear. Thank you for sharing it with us. thumb

45. Pathbreaker - Capriccio in F-sharp minor, Op. 76 no. 1 I wouldn't know where to begin describing my reactions to a work of this difficulty. Just following your beautiful playing with the score was as much as I can manage. I enjoyed it very much.

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads Glen-fans like me have come to expect smooth jazz stylings whenever you put something up...no disappointment here. As usual the S&S sounds fantastic too. thumb

47. (Was)TrueBeginner - Purity Amazing what a talented person can do with a few simple broken chords and a nice little melody. Really nice work, especially if you just knocked it out a day before the recital.

48. joangolfing - Gavotte and Variations (Suite No. 14) I like it. Great job bring out the countermelody in the left hand. It would sound even better on your grand. Very nice.

49. Ken. - Monk's Dream I find it difficult to get a good feel for Monk's music, but you seem to have no problem with it. Yes it really does swing. Nice job thumb

50. Mar_red - Theme from Schindler's List Really admire your ability to take a lead sheet and make a full sounding arrangement out of it. Very lovely music and so well played.

51. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories Wasn't familiar with this song before. Has a new-agey kind of sound and feel. You play very expressively.

52. barbaram - Tequila Sunrise Don't look now but your teen years are showing, barbaram. Loved the smooth legato left hand under the right hand melody. With just nine months back at the bench this is really good work. thumb

53. Ohio_Mark - Red Rose Rendezvous For some reason when I read the title I pictured something from a John Wayne western, so that was the images that came to me when I listened. Horses and sunsets and yippeeeiokayay, ride-um coyboy. Nice playing.

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941 Boy are you tough on yourself, MrPozor. I thought that was a terrific Bach performance.... both voices coming through clearly articulated and with nice balance. Very, very well done. 3hearts

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne in C-Minor, No 21 (Posthumous) Any of you first timers listening should know that Sam is the one in a million guy who can take up piano and start playing advanced literature right from the start. This has your usual great ear for a good phrase, Sam. You are just so talented it defies description. Very nice indeed.

56. carlos88 - Bach's Italian Concerto, First Movement I don't remember hearing this work before....very charming. Three voices? Sounds very difficult. Your work on the ornaments and phrase endings comes through loud and clear. Just the thought of playing Bach at this tempo exhausts me, yet you make it sound easy. Very fitting that I be completely blown away by the last submission for this recital. wow

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow! My internet's been up all day today! So here's a few more:

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves I've tried several times to put this into my repertoire, but it doesn't lend itself to the dance beat I play smile You did a great job with it as a ballad, as it should be. Nice.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbing Caro This was truly lovely. You did justice to Puccini's melody. Wonderful.

27. dynamobt/Marilyn - Piano Sonata What a great piece! I love the way the left hand comes out in those deep sonorities. Well done.

23. ajames - Laura Yea! Johnny Mercer! This had a nice kind of wistful feeling to it. I like the tempo, and the balance between the hands.

32. StevenB - Old German Dance This made me tap my foot, which is good, since it's a dance! Your musicality is transferring from your guitar playing. Well done.

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega Thanks for the history. I grew up in OK so I was aware of the Trail of Tears. But one's knowledge of history expands as one grows/ages, eh? This was nice.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
26. ladyaugustina -
piece: Clementi,Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: yes a little low frequency noise
bass: fair, low notes could sound a bit fuller but sufficient for this piece
depth of field: ok
piano sound: fair

musical:
overall impression, like: Nice. Good speed and overall the runs are flowing pretty good. Nice job for two allegro parts of a long sonata.
Here are some detail remarks. Trills need a little faster IMHO, you play them now like melody notes which sounds weird. You miss or add a beat sometimes, eg around 0:43 and in a similar place at 2:15 or so. You might want to check it.
End is a bit abrupt. Maybe little slowdown?
I missed the adagio part, and because you stop so briefly only between the 1 and 3 part, it all sounds now like 1 big piece which is a bit confusing. Funny that you couldn't get the rythm right, as this should be the easy part of the piece smile
Phrasing: ok
rubato, speed changes: mostly pretty constant. in a few places speed drops down unexpectedly, particularly in 3:50.
Dynamics: Overall fine. The melody needs to stick out a bit, so maybe you can try to make the LH softer than the RH overall. For example right at the start, try playing the LH mf or even p and only the RH f. I find the cadence at 2:50 too heavy but the score says f there. Weird, not sure if I would follow that
In the allegro part, you could do more with the fz/p. Stay p also after the fz/p
You make very nice p sound just after 2:30, I would like to hear this p at the other p places as well.
Note that after 3:55 the section is marked pp and p. fz is only an accent for 1 note.
articulation: I like it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for listening and for commenting. The piece is a bit out there and sometimes (e.g. the introduction) there isn't even any tune at all, just an energy. For a bit more context, on my first attempt at appreciating Brahms solo piano I purchased a double CD set of all his late piano solo pieces. I don't know how else to put it but I did NOT like any of it at all. I didn't really bother with Brahms after that until my teacher assigned me a piece. Everything changed after this.

The complex relationship between Brahms and Clara Schumann is often referred to in profiles of Brahms. For an interesting story involving the F-sharp minor Capriccio and the Op. 76, read here: Yale University Library

From the link:
Originally Posted by Yale University Library
Scholars have devoted a great deal of attention to the relationship between Johannes Brahms and Clara Schumann. The two first met in 1853, when Brahms visited the Schumanns in Düsseldorf and played many of his compositions for them, eliciting Robert Schumann’s famous article “Neue Bahnen,” which is also on display in this exhibit. After Robert was hospitalized in 1854, Brahms took over many of his responsibilities in the Schumann household, helping with the family and managing their business affairs. (He also regularly visited Robert in the hospital; the doctors did not permit Clara to do so.) Brahms was certainly in love with her, and she may have reciprocated his feelings, but after Robert’s death made it possible for them to marry, they chose not to do so, perhaps because of Brahms’s concern about maintaining his independence. Over the course of the ensuing forty years, they remained close friends and musical collabora­tors, but their relationship was never simple, and they had several quarrels.

One such dispute occurred in the late 1860s, and Brahms’s gift of the manuscript displayed here may have been part of their reconciliation. It is written on paper with a printed decorative border, and bears the inscription “Cl. Sch.” as well as the date “12. Sept. 71.” Sep­tember 12, 1871 was the 31st anniversary of Clara’s marriage, and September 13 was her 52nd birthday. For most of the decade, the piece seems to have been known only to her, but in 1879, Brahms published a revised version, without a dedication and now bearing the title “Capriccio,” as the first in a set of Klavier­stücke, Op. 76. Clara, who may have had proprietary feelings about the original, complained that the new version was marred by hidden parallel octaves.

I think it would be possible to consider that this Capriccio (and the set) refers to their relationship in some way.

I hope to record a final (for now) version which has a much more rapid tempo. I did a check yesterday and recorded one at a 3:16 duration. I didn't mean to play it that fast and it's anything but clean. I was going to put it in the piano bar but I'm going to give it another day or two and try one more. The introduction or recapitulation ruin most of my attempts! mad

In case you're curious, my favorite versions are by Dinorah Varsi and Julius Katchen. Much faster tempo especially for Varsi. But Pogorelich still has his version at over 6 minutes out there. Makes me feel better even if it's kind of eccentric.

Originally Posted by Sam Rose
I've never heard this before, so I can't really say anything about the tempo. But I like how you've played it, if that counts for anything. It sounds quite difficult!

Originally Posted by TheodorN
Nice work on this piece.

Originally Posted by evamar
What a contrast from the previous entry! Very agitated and restless piece, but brilliant too and obviously so hard to play. Amazing work. I had not heard it before and it put me to the edge.

Originally Posted by SwissMS
This definitely has a restlessness about it. I like the tempo that you chose. I would think it would sound frenzied at a faster tempo. It is such a complex piece, and the tempo you chose allows the listener to experience it all. Very nicely played!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well, it is an undisputable fact that I know very little of Brahms work. I was surprised at how modern this sounds. I was also interested to note your tempo while looking at the score. I would never have imagined that tempo with those 16th notes, but in my (uneducated, I confess) opinion - it works very well! There's a lot of drama and I love the rich bass thorughout the piece. You've worked the magic of making it sound effortless - which we all knows means you've worked very very hard on the piece. Bravo indeed!

Originally Posted by JimF
I wouldn't know where to begin describing my reactions to a work of this difficulty. Just following your beautiful playing with the score was as much as I can manage. I enjoyed it very much.

I have more feedback coming a bit later.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
47. (Was)TrueBeginner - Purity Ah nothing like a freshly tuned piano! I really enjoyed your composition. It was very peaceful and I think the title you chose suits it very well.

48. joangolfing - Gavotte and Variations (Suite No. 14) I love this type of music - and very much enjoyed your performance. Your non-legato is quite appropriate and gives just the right sound to the works. Most enjoyable!

49. Ken. - Monk's Dream I am never sure what to expect when I see "Monk". There have been a few pieces that I just couldn't get my head around. This one, however, was easy to sit back and groove with! Nicely done - I especially liked the finale!

50. Mar_red - Theme from Schindler's List This is a piece I never tire of hearing. I loved the film and this music stirs up so much emotion. The recording seems to have a bit of a buzz in it - but it is still pretty and you've played it with the emotional overtones that it needs. Bravo!

51. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories Welcome back! I'm not familiar with this composer but always enjoy being introduced to someone new. I liked this - a lovely gentle beginning - that upper register is sweet and delicate. Your digital is very impressive. I like the crispness of the sound. The first part seemed to me to be open rolling fields of pristine snow, the second part I felt I was in a wood with tree trunks dark with winter wet, - the whole piece was very evocative. A very pleasant listen. I look forward to hearning more from you !

52. barbaram - Tequila Sunrise Sounds pretty jazzy to me...with a Spanish flair - good fun! I enjoyed it.

53. Ohio_Mark - Red Rose Rendezvous I have this book ! I really like Martha Mier materials. Your tempo certainly does change the feel of the piece, but that's not a bad thing. I like the upbeat feel you've given it. Nice performance!

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941 Oh, you can make yourself crazy doing multiple takes! This one was an elegant rendition. I know what you mean about even the simplest of Bach pieces being tricky - those voices! They are a puzzle to work out indeed. The only problem with your performance was that it was too short! I was just starting to get into it and it was done! Well done!

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne in C-Minor, No 21 (Posthumous) Hi Sam, nice to see you back! It is easy to see that you've developed a real affinity for Chopin- this was really a delight to hear - your technique seems to be improving in leaps and bounds. I hear more control in this piece- both for tempo and dynamics. Good for you!

56. carlos88 - Bach's Italian Concerto, First Movement What a pleasure to wrap up the recital with Bach! I really enjoyed listening to your performance, you really had super balance between the left and right hands - and the intermingling of the voices was just great - your trills and gracenotes were very pretty indeed, and your timing was a treat indeed. Complimenti!!!

Thanks again to everyone for dedicating the time and energy necessary to present such a feast of audible delights!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2
Wow, thank you for introducing me to this composer! A really beautiful piece and your playing is very sensitive and lyrical. I will have to take a look at this composer when I get the chance. Great choice!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette
Your recording method is definitely unorthodox but I think it worked out okay. Honestly it sounded better than ok but maybe I just don't have an ear for this type of thing. I would definitely like to hear you on the MH sometime so that I can see the difference in your playing.

Another great piece that I've never heard. It's even better because you added your own material. I think this is always good to hear and you've done a great job. I can't say I know where the original ends and your noodling begins but the performance was great.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
The internet demons are still holding off, so here's some more:

36. casinitaly - Sonatina Love this. I like the way you kept in moving, and the trill! Delightful. I can imagine passing by outside your window and hearing this and going on with a smile on my face smile

44. Trapper John - Beauty and the Beast Oh, this was wonderful. Your piano touch is so lyrical. Bravo!

51. Shiro Kuro - Midwinter Memories Very nice! Like water rippling in a brook, and someone sitting beside it just being in the moment. Not a very winter-like vision, I'll admit, which just goes to show that interpretations are often in the ears of the listener. But this is lovely.

1. Andy Platt - Sonata Wow! Well done! This sounds like one of those pieces for which I'd see the sheet music and immediately move on, but you obviously see and hear music, and play it with such musicality. Really nice.

9. sinophilia/Diana - Little PreludeI love it! I'm a Bach fan, and you did this so well. You had the bass/treble interplay down pat.

55. Sam Rose - Nocturne A charming and lyrical piece as you have played it. I think you put your heart in this.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
28 JakeS Enjoyed your harmonious music which also displayed 2 years productive work; sympathetically played. Great, mate!

29 ColdSalmon Nicely tuned piano with a good ring to it. Steady as she goes, so to speak, with precision which shows you aren`t about to cut corners. It`d sound good on a harpsichord, too. Nice, nice!

31 Sand Tiger Lovely composition for your dad. I did one for mine (passed on 3 years ago) . . poignant moments,but in a sense, therapeutic too.Excellent for someone so new to the business!

30 CorySold This was clearly played; a simple arrangement of Greensleeves which will enable you to go on to greater things. 3 and a half weeks? Wow!! Keep `em comin`

32 Steven B That really sound like an acoustic. More than just about any other software I`ve heard. Wonderful coordination for someone so new. Bach is NOT far away . . . . at all at all .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
33 Mike White Does anyone get a better piano sound than this? What on earth did you do to that P80? Sounds fantastic.. . . .A hard piece o` music with some difficult complex chords which you handled with ease . . Well executed!

34 Paul 1971 Wonderful playing! Always enjoy listening to beginners; they display their own style before the teaching has somewhat formalized things . . unavoidable when you learn. There`s plenty of development taking place here.

35 Jim F McDowell`s stuff is very appealing. "To a Wild Rose" is one I used on occasions. It`s strong on appeal and pleasant on the ear. A great job!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission