Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2231726 - 02/14/14 10:00 PM Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch)
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Another insightful column from Graham Fitch, here's a quote:

Healthy perfectionism drives us ever onwards and upwards, and is vital for stellar progress and excellence. ... Neurotic perfectionism cripples us because we forget we are human beings and not machines ...

As always, I have no commercial ties or affiliation. I am sharing what is timely topic on the forum, as the curtain goes up for the many perfectionists that participate in the ABF quarterly recital. Obviously, not all participants are perfectionists, but I'd guess that half are candidates for the label.

Read the entire article at:
http://practisingthepiano.com/myth-perfection/

As I have gotten older and hopefully wiser, I feel like I am getting better at dropping the obsessive, compulsive, neurotic forms of perfectionism. I credit a great deal of that to my years of volunteering in mental health. One phrase that is helpful "endorse for the effort, not the outcome." If I make a good effort, then I can learn to live with the result.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2231925 - 02/15/14 08:09 AM Re: Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch) [Re: Sand Tiger]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
That was a really good article, Sandtiger. Thanks for posting.

I need to keep this handy for my next neurotic episode.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2232083 - 02/15/14 02:01 PM Re: Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch) [Re: Sand Tiger]
1000 Post Club Member

Perfectionists often have the hardest time composing music or writing songs. The inner critic can be a dictator. I know one would-be prose writer that hated everything she wrote, so much so that it wasn't saved, any paper copies were shredded. How can anyone advance if their neurosis is like that?

I was reviewing some comments on the Coursera that I am taking on songwriting. One is along the lines of: "give yourself permission to write crap." Kenny Werner, in his book, Effortless Mastery, talks about the concept of "no wrong notes," when improvising.

Like I said in my opening, effort counts for a lot. Almost everyone accepts that when it comes to learning to play piano, but more than a few want to be able to write at high level without putting in much time or effort. Endorse for the effort, that and process are what a person controls, not the outcome, not the level of aptitude.

Edited by Sand Tiger (02/15/14 02:04 PM)

#2232168 - 02/15/14 05:04 PM Re: Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch) [Re: Sand Tiger]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Fortunately for the human race, babies are not perfectionists. They stand up, fall on their rears, stand up, take a few tottering steps, fall down again, then try again. And again.

Next thing you know, you're talking them down from the top of the bookcase.

One of my brothers is a perfectionist and it just sucks the joy out of most things. I am not a perfectionist, at the piano or in my daily life. I might aim for really, really good, but I will settle for pretty good. smile

#2232531 - 02/16/14 11:09 AM Re: Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch) [Re: Stubbie]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stubbie
Fortunately for the human race, babies are not perfectionists. They stand up, fall on their rears, stand up, take a few tottering steps, fall down again, then try again. And again.

Next thing you know, you're talking them down from the top of the bookcase.

One of my brothers is a perfectionist and it just sucks the joy out of most things. I am not a perfectionist, at the piano or in my daily life. I might aim for really, really good, but I will settle for pretty good. smile

Thanks for the reply Stubbie. I do think part of it is nature, because some babies are more fussy than others, some more easy going, some more likely to cry, some more likely to sleep through the night. I tend to believe that this gets reinforced by experiences (nurture).

I never thought of myself as a perfectionist until well into my adult life and someone tossed the word at me. It took me a while to understand why the adjective fit me. In the end, it isn't all a bad thing. However, like so many things for me, finding a balance is what tends to work.

While neurotic perfectionists may sometimes get more done. They almost certainly enjoy their achievements less. For the vast majority on the beginners forum, piano is a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. Keep it fun.

If any of the many perfectionists reading this want to add their comments please do so. Or perhaps you are like I was, "What? Me? Perfectionist? Not me?" Yes, you.

#2232616 - 02/16/14 02:28 PM Re: Perfectionism: healthy vs. neurotic (Graham Fitch) [Re: Sand Tiger]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
""endorse for the effort, not the outcome."

The effort has got to produce an outcome. A musical one, in this case; If a better outcome is achieved by dropping notes on complex pieces, I`ll do it. If I have time and skill levels to obviate the need to do this then I will do otherwise.

But a guy only has so much patience even if he`s got all the time in the world . . .Have fun!

""

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, 36251, adrpiano, aesop, 30 invisible), 1477 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318957 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission