Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223264 - 02/19/05 05:17 AM Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
William W Offline

Loc: Capital of Canada
According to their website:

http://steinway.com/noteworthy/news/model_a_reintro.shtml

Full Text

STEINWAY REINTRODUCES LEGENDARY MODEL A GRAND PIANO
AND THREE NEW ART CASE PIANOS

JANUARY 19, 2005 — BEVERLY HILLS, CA — For the first time since 1914, Steinway & Sons will build and market its Model A grand piano in the United States.

That announcement came today when the new, 6-foot-2-inch Model A was unveiled to U.S. Steinway dealers during a ceremony at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, a day before the start of the National Association of Music Merchants annual trade show in Anaheim, Calif.

Designed by C.F. Theodore Steinway, the Model A "Parlor" Grand Piano, as it was known, is credited with revolutionizing modern grand-piano design when it was offered for the first time in 1878, just 25 years after Steinway & Sons was founded in New York City.

Steinway's Model A was the first piano to feature solid spruce radial bracing, which reinforces the structure to accommodate 35,000 lbs of string tension and the use of longer strings that greatly increase volume and tone. Another feature of the Model A was its one-piece unified rim-case construction, which transfers vibrations efficiently to the entire soundboard. Moreover, because of Steinway's innovations, the piano delivered the power and volume of concert grands in small homes and apartments, where space was at a premium.

And while the modern Model A retains many elements of the original, it incorporates Steinway's design and technical innovations developed during the last century... as well as a touch or two that are distinctively its own. One of these is a slightly squared back that adds, as Frank Mazurco puts it, "a touch of elegance to a truly remarkable piano design."

Also introduced at the same time as the Model A were three new Steinway artcase designs including the arts-and-crafts-inspired Grove Park grand piano, designed by Joe Sidorowicz, as well as the Satin Rose and Serenity grand pianos, designed by Jeffrey Alan Nelson.

For more information, call 1-800-STEINWAY for your nearest authorized Steinway dealer.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#223265 - 02/19/05 09:07 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Anyone has any idea WHEN these new NY Model A pianos will ship? Any info on design changes and/or spec. changes when compared to the old Model A would also be greatly appreciated. \:\)

It used to be that we hear lots of rumors about the M&H AA and the M&H CC before the prototype is even shown. We've seen the mention of a smaller Walter grand for a long time now and the prototype is not yet shown in public. The 7' Estonia has been mentioned and I'm keeping a clock on it to see how long before that baby actually shows up.

Just wondering if we should also expect Steinway NY to also take that long to go from press release to product shipment.

Favorite new piano model introduction joke: Will it ship before Microsoft's next version of Windows?[/b]

#223266 - 02/19/05 09:34 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

ax, i played one of these at steinway hall last november. really nice piano. puts the rest of the pianos in steinway hall to complete shame.

however, i've been told by one dealer that the piano is made by hamburg, not new york, steinway. i thought they were making the A all along.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#223267 - 02/19/05 09:46 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
From the press release:

"For the first time since 1914, Steinway & Sons will build[/b] and market its Model A grand piano in the United States."
Thank you for your comment, piqué. It is also my understanding that Hamburg Steinway has been building the model A all along. The way I read the press release, it looks like Steinway wants to start building[/b] the Model A in the US, so I am curious when the US-built Steinway Model A will ship. Thanks. \:\)

#223268 - 02/19/05 09:54 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
 Quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
ax, i played one of these at steinway hall last november. really nice piano. puts the rest of the pianos in steinway hall to complete shame.

however, i've been told by one dealer that the piano is made by hamburg, not new york, steinway. i thought they were making the A all along. [/b]
Pique,

Was it a Dakota Jackson art case? Was it in a polished finish?
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#223269 - 02/19/05 12:17 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
enlitened Offline

Pique,the "tricentenial" is a hybrid NY/Hamburg model A, with a modern artcase designed by Dakota Jackson. That A has been around for a few years. Was that the model you played?

#223270 - 02/19/05 12:20 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grane Offline

Loc: Greater Miami
They are making the A's here in NY. They made the Karl Lagerman (A size) before which had the rim done by Germany and the insides by NY.

Now the new A is all NY -- per Steinway.

I traded in an heirloom 1910 A for my B and loved the A however it just doesn't compare to a great B - how can it?

Guess in piano terms size does count, although some believe the B to be a better piano than the D unless you are concertizing.

Ed

#223271 - 02/19/05 12:24 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grane Offline

Woops, Axtremus -- the A is now in at least some showrooms here in NY area.

My understanding is a dealer has to order one and then they build it -- so it could take a month or three before some dealers have one.

Not sure where you live so it could be a while.

If someone "has" to have or try one -- the NY showrooms as mentioned do have at least one.

Hope this helps.

Ed

#223272 - 02/19/05 03:13 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
"Moreover, because of Steinway's innovations, the piano delivered the power and volume of concert grands in small homes and apartments, where space was at a premium."

Thanks, but I really don't want the power and volume of a concert grand in my home.

#223273 - 02/19/05 03:32 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grane, thank you for the follow-up info. \:\)

(p.s. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that they press the rims of the Karl Lagerman and the Dakota Jackson in Hamburg but do other works in NY -- they might not have had a working model A rim press in NY at the time!)

#223274 - 02/19/05 04:41 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
To me it looks like Lagerman needs more than his *rims* pressed.....

norbert

#223275 - 02/19/05 06:25 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Jim Lob Offline

Loc: Maryland
Does anyone here wonder if the "reintroduction" of the Steinway A has anything to do with the new Mason and Hamlin AA?

#223276 - 02/19/05 06:37 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Lob:
Does anyone here wonder if the "reintroduction" of the Steinway A has anything to do with the new Mason and Hamlin AA? [/b]
Yes.

#223277 - 02/19/05 07:00 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Cork Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
The A's I've played have been quite nice, but I'll really be excited when NY starts making the C again.

#223278 - 02/19/05 08:19 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
thecoldeye Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
I saw a new A in J Kitts Vienna store today - -just one in satin ebony.

thecoldeye

#223279 - 02/19/05 10:18 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

the one i played in nyc in november at steinway hall i was told was a limited edition tricentennial. i was told they only made 300 of them. however, it isn't the dakota jackson model--i played that one in portland, or., in oct. 2000 at the steinway dealership there.

this one is ebony polish with ice cream cone legs and a decorative music desk, a throwback to the classic victorian design. i thought it looked kind of large for an A. maybe it was a B?

in any event, whether new york plans to build the As in Queens or not, at the moment, i'm told, they are built in hamburg.

this is all getting rather confusing. maybe someone can sort out for us definitively which models are which and where they are produced.

now in paperback:

#223280 - 02/20/05 04:07 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grane Offline

From pique -- "this is all getting rather confusing. maybe someone can sort out for us definitively which models are which and where they are produced"

My understanding is NY now makes the S, M, L, A and D. Hamburg makes the S, M, O, A, C and D. Not clear on special models.

So now the only "model" differences are the O vs. L and the C in Hamburg. Of course the Hamburg D has a knob on the side and the finishes are different there.

Apparently Hamburg kept the O as it apparently sounds nicer than the L which was changed to produce more sound. The same change was made to the A in going from AI to AII in the 19th century (rounded tail vs. more squared off).

Also, there were othere differences in how they were made and I've been told the two factories are much more alike now than before. I believe the U.S. has picked up some of the German aspects. Also, the audiences/customers apparently are somewhat different.

Ed

#223281 - 02/20/05 08:23 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:
To me it looks like Lagerman needs more than his *rims* pressed.....

norbert [/b]
Norbert:

You slay me.

Hahhahahahha ha aha hahaha

Thank you for providing the comic relief!!!

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#223282 - 02/20/05 05:00 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Mat D. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cork:
I'll really be excited when NY starts making the C again. [/b]
First of all...hi there Cork!

I agree, the "C" is kind of a dream piano for me...not to sound spoiled; my BB is serving my just fine. Maybe it's the exclusivety (sp) factor, but it seems the 2 "C"s I've played were special.

Mat D.

#223283 - 02/20/05 08:13 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Cork Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hi, Mat! So glad to read that the BB is still wonderful for you. A C would make a nice second instrument for either of us, don't you think?

#223284 - 02/20/05 09:16 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

grane,
you forgot about the Bs! \:\)

actually it was the dakota jackson v. the victorian case v. the tricentennial v. the new A that i wanted to get sorted out.

i'm now actually wondering if maybe it was a tricentennial B that i played in steinway hall, if the tricentennial As are all dakota jacksons.

if so, then how come it's new if i played one in 2000?

jeanne, i share your appreciation of norbert's sense of humor. isn't he a hoot?

\:\)

now in paperback:

#223285 - 02/21/05 10:29 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grane Offline

Yes, pique -- what a miss!!!! Thank you.

Let's see, NY: S, M, L, A, B & D.
Hamburgh S, M, O, A, C & D

Of course not counting uprights -- sorry.

Thanks again pique.

Ed

#223286 - 02/21/05 10:29 AM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grane Offline

P.S. What did I miss?

#223287 - 02/21/05 07:07 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Duo Secundus Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Grane:
P.S. What did I miss? [/b]
Hamburg also manufactures the B, don't they?

pd

#223288 - 02/21/05 07:22 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

yes, they do.

now in paperback:

#223289 - 02/27/05 02:34 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NM, GE & Wash. DC
I got a call from a Steinway salesman last week. Two three-year-old Steinway Bs were being rotated out of the NPR studio in area and were available for audition.

I went by the store today and they had one of the Bs available (the other was at another location). It was a nice piano. It had a comfortable touch that allowed good dynamic control. It had a powerful bass ... in fact almost too powerful. The mid-treble sang nicely but playing higher up the treble I felt I had to make a conscious effort to lighten up on the left hand to keep from overwhelming the treble. The case was in decent condition for a studio piano.

The only other piano I played was a new Steinway model A. This was the store's second model A. Their first one, from the NAMM show, had sold. So I don't know if the one thecoldeye saw a week ago was the same piano I played today.

Regardless, it was a very nice piano. Excellent touch: uniform touch weight progression, controllable, predictable. The only thing unusual about the touch was the keys felt like they "gave way" at the end of the downstroke. Almost like you could feel the knuckle fly off the repetition lever. The keys had a good solid feel when you bottomed them out.

The piano was well balanced and had a very pleasing voice. The tenor was bell-like and penetrating but not overblown. The mid-treble sang nicely and allowed me to effect different tonal colors (and I'm no pro by any means). The bass while powerful, was not nearly as "big" as the B's, but it was better matched to the rest of the piano's compass.

I played it about 30-45 minutes -- some Chopin, Schumann, Scriabin (early preludes), Brahms op. 118/2, and some light new age stuff. I liked how Brahms sounded on this piano. I felt like the piano was helping me, not fighting me.

I did not ask the salesman if this piano was produced entirely at the NY factory. If it was, and if the factory maintains good quality control, I believe they have a winner. Great piano for a medium-sized room. Flat matte ebony runs $60K new.

If I were ding the piano, it would be an observation that applies to NY Steinways in general and one that I've mentioned before. The NY factory's attention to detail in terms of fit and finish, compared to comparable European makes and the Hamburg pianos, has a long way to go. I prefer polished ebony to flat matte. A one-piece fallboard is classier looking than the design the NY factory presently uses.

JP

#223290 - 02/27/05 02:44 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

JPM,

Thanks for the review.

I look forward to trying out a new NY Steinway Model A myself one of these days.

FWIW, your comment on the Model B tracks quite closely to my own experience with most Model B's I've come across. \:\)

#223291 - 02/27/05 06:54 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
Grotriman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I played both the Dakota Jackson and the Lagerman. Evidently Jackson is a superior scale designer. The Jackson far outplayed the Lagerman!

My understanding is that both are manufactured in Hamburg.

I did play a plain vanilla A in Duesseldorf Steinway Hall. It was a recent return from an 70 some year old who bought it then died. I thought it was a real dud. Each model has its good and bad realizations.

BTW - every rebuilt B that I try has a really bad break between the bass and the tenor. Like a really different volume over the break. Is there some "trick" that they know to do when building a new one that rebuilders don't know? Or do other people find this in new Bs also?

Grotriman

#223292 - 02/27/05 07:13 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
curry Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamilton Twp, NJ
G, Jackson designed the case not the scale. As for the B, this is common symptom that occurs in new as well as rebuilt. Try one of Del's killer B rebuilds. His rescale of the B puts a few wound bi-chords on the treble bridge to even out the break.

#223293 - 02/27/05 08:19 PM Re: Steinway Reintroduce Model A in the United States
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I posted last week about going to Reifsnyder's in Lancaster, PA and playing a new NY S&S "A". I thought it was a really great piano. More depth than the "L" and a more practical size for a home with moderate space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, ajames, AndreiN, ando, Alex1, 40 invisible), 1808 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156284 Topics
2295252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
07/30/14 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
07/30/14 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission