2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl

"Or should I say that I have realized that I don't have experience of bringing anything to performance level. . ."

You could be your own worst critic here. I think the same about myself often; there are so many talented people out there. But I don`t reckon I concern myself overmuch. Mistakes are like hitting a hedge and driving through it . . .without slowing down . . .What fun!

Your work sounds lovely.

Last edited by peterws; 02/02/14 05:59 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Inlanding

Didn`t think it was Chopin. Yes, it was a tad sad but very tuneful particularly in the bass. Seems to me you play most things and you play `em well too. Have fun!

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kenjazz; I really loved your Morning Dance rendition.. Thanks for reminding me of this great jazz tune! thumb

Here's a tune written by Hoagy Carmichael and made famous by Ray Charles:

GEORGIA ON MY MIND

Last edited by Elssa; 02/03/14 04:00 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Inlanding

Jazzwee~ the interplay between you and your players is fantastic! Your bass player's got some serious chops. The accompaniment and solo you put forth sounds very second-nature to you - it's been very interesting and inspiring to me following your development over the past few years. Your musical vocabulary has grown exponentially! The folks in the club are really tuned in to your music.

Glen

Thanks so much Glen. Someone recently made a comment that I had no vocabulary so you have no idea how your comment is appreciated smile Now if I can only have your chops I'll be in good shape.

BTW this is really a trio (vocalist's guitar is only rhythm) so I have to carry the load now.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Blimey, this place is frenetic at the moment! Everything`s happening; Can`t keep up . . . Here`s an old `un . . .Poor old Roberta must be turning in her grave. If she`s dead that is . . . .

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=izA6htJVWYg[/video]

What a fantastic rendition here Peter! You make it sound so easy. Nice video as well. Very ghostly smile But don't kill Roberta Flack yet. LOL. She's still around.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you, Peterws, for your kind comment. I am with jazzwee on your Roberta Flack tune. I think it's one of your best arrangements, so very well-played. The visual effects add a nice touch to how well you play.

jazzwee~ I call 'em like I see 'em about your meteoric development as a professional player - I am a huge fan.

Elssa~ Georgia is a great tune, played by so many folks. In addition to Ray Charles being the original to bringing the tune to the top, Willie Nelson put it number one on the country music charts for a few months, too. You are in good company with your arrangement. Good work, indeed.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Inlanding
To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen

Heavenly Glen! Such a beautiful touch my friend. Lend me some of those chops on my gigs.

My Jazz Blog

Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin

Last edited by peterws; 02/03/14 02:00 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi, this is a famous Japanese piece originally composed for Koto (Japanese harp which also takes two hands ) transcribed for piano and flute. I am planning to do this in November this year for my company's Asian fair this year or next year. It could be too demanding considering that I already committed to forum recital and have several assigned pieces. What do you think? Isn't it very different?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
FarmGirl, that was great! I went to a koto concert at the Museum of International Folk Art a couple of years ago and still listen to the cds. Wonderful.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin

Thanks, Peter, for your kind words. smile I just noticed on Craig's List that a local place is looking for a pianist for their Happy Hour: www.VinumCafe.com They have a new baby grand, so I'd love to play there if they're interested. Right now, snowed in solid, though, so probably won't get there til spring. Your "Killing Me Softly" was just gorgeous.. You really are talented. How did you make that cool video? Do you still play out?

Last edited by Elssa; 02/04/14 01:31 AM.
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I don't know if I'm up to playing anywhere now either, but I talked to the owner/chef of this place over the river, and he said the last pianist didn't work out because he played mostly "today's music". Apparently the owner is looking for more of a mix of musical styles, which maybe I could do. I've never played in a piano bar before, though. Geez, I think if people kept throwing song requests at me I'd just panic and freeze up like a deer in the headlights. LOL! I can play pretty well by ear/lead sheets, as well as sight read anything, but don't know if I could handle all that. :p

The owner/chef of the restaurant said the baby grand he just bought is a player piano, which he runs sometimes, but he would much prefer a real pianist, so he sounds nice and like a real music lover. smile

kenjazz Offline OP
OP Offline
Peterws - Killing Me Softly was really well imagined! I have this song printed off and it has been on my to-do list for a long time. I could never think of an arrangement that was interesting enough to make it worthwhile. You certainly did that. I love how you changed up the rhythm on that quirky little instrumental turnaround that she has. Very special.

Inlanding - As always I'm so jealous of how you can play a Chopin prelude with sensitivity one minute and them swing out with the best the next. Wonderful sound

Elssa - All of those perfect runs at the end! The perfect fingerings... This is why I would never video myself playing - it would look like somebody chopping hamburger meat by comparison smile

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Kenjazz smile I have to confess a lot of times I'm just using chord "hand-shapes", so not even really thinking about the fingering. BTW,I forgot to mention before that in addition to your music, I really enjoyed the cute video that went along with it! grin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Very nice playing by everyone. Boy, what a fast start for the Feb. bar. thumb

Glen - Hey, I don't think I've ever heard you submit a classical piece before...very nice!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am going to "redo" some videos I posted earlier but deleted. Poor video quality .

Last edited by pianonewbie1; 02/08/14 01:21 AM. Reason: repost later

Originally Posted by Elssa

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission