2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
45. Pathbreaker- Wow!!! Great playing. I like the slower pacing. I'm not much of a Brahms fan but your playing and being able to follow the music made for a new appreciation of his music.

43. Gandalf- Another "Wow!!". A little Rachmaninoff, maybe a little Gershwin? Just a really interesting piece and so well played.

Congratulations everyone! Exceptional talent on display once again. A couple of comments....

11. Jazzwee - Wave
Oh, now you’ve done it. You put one of those Jobim ear worms in my head. Wave is a particularly infectious one. Kudos for doing this in the original key of D. As a hack, I find this to be a really hard key for jazz players (except guitarists). You’d have to be woodshedding in it regularly because there are so few jazz tunes written in this key. Better you than me smile It sounded smooth as silk anyway!

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell
A beautiful song and video tribute for sure. With each song, I’m gaining more understanding of the Jazztpt composition style. I see that you use a major 4th chord of some variety after you’ve resolved to the root a lot, which just sounds so elegant. Just a tremendous overall sound.

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez
Ed, “Concierto”, by Jim Hall featuring Sir Roland Hanna on Piano, Paul Desmond on Sax, Chet Baker on Trumpet, Steve Gadd on Drums and Ron Carter on Bass is one of my all time favorites. I wore out the grooves on the album, and then when albums were passé, had to get it on CD. Many argue that it is the best ensemble jazz recording ever made. I might have to agree. What an undertaking for solo piano! And what a great job you did capturing the spirit and the relentless driving flow. Wonderful!!

23. ajames - Laura
Nice job after such a short time playing! Have you listened to many other recording of this song? Keep listening to how other people play it slow, and as you get more and more comfortable you’ll start taking one or two little things that you’ve heard and work them in to your own playing.

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves
This is really a brilliantly full arrangement. You are able to give it so much movement without a walking bass line. It is hard to parse out all of things that you are doing in there. That is what makes it a fun listen. I love the touch of echo that you put in the post recording too.

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads
My son has been asking me about Pythagorean tuning (A=432), and I had to admit that I didn’t know anything about it. Looking into it a little, and listening to the four beautiful mood pieces that you created, got me thinking that these would be the perfect resonance for A=432 if anything would. Hmmm. Also really loves those tasty blues licks in there

49. Ken. - Monk's Dream
Keep the flame alive baby! This was your most Monk-ish one yet. I was waiting for the horns to come in on that next verse. Darn.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Firstly thanks so much to Monica for managing such a marvellous recital, and to everyone who has taken the time to listen and comment.

My headphones have just conked out so here is my batch for today and hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with more. I've listed to 1-3 and 39-end so far - the Box uploads were presented in reverse order so it was easier to go that way!

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2
Lovely & flowing. I particularly enjoyed the minuet movement

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart
Oooh. What an atmospheric opening. Beautiful chill out piece, really enjoyed it

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8
I love Bach. I’m working on the Invention #8 at the moment myself, I’d underestimated the challenge involved as it looks deceptively simple on the page. With a bit of discipline it’s all coming together but I’m a long way away from playing it as well as this

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix
I was halfway through this when my headphones ran out of charge! I was really enjoying it, so will be back to relisten later/tomorrow. Disappointed not to have made it as far as the “sausage fingers remix” :-)

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega
Another original composition, fantastic! A lovely piece, I really enjoyed it

41. jotur/Cathy turner - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet
Lovely old timey feel, I bet this makes your assisted living audience feel really nostalgic

42. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - Locke'd Out Again
Super impressive after only 2 months! Confidently played and it really conveyed the mood, great job

43. Ganddalf - A piece for me to play
Bored!? No chance! Very impressive composition, thoroughly enjoyable. I for one would love to hear more of your own pieces in future recitals!

44. TrapperJohn - Beauty and the Beast (from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast")
This is a lovely song, and with 3 young kids it’s one I’m very familiar with. This was a beautiful rendition.

45. Pathbreaker - Capriccio in F-sharp minor, Op. 76 no. 1
Wow! Beautiful piece, really well played. I was just thinking as I set this up to play that I didn’t have much of an idea what to expect - even though Brahms is such a familiar name, I can’t back that up with any knowledge of the music. That’s something I’ll have to remedy as I enjoyed this very much.

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads
Very nice, evocative

47. (Was)TrueBeginner - Purity
I’m so impressed with the original compositions in this recital. This flows really nicely and is very enjoyable to listen to

48. joangolfing - Gavotte and Variations (Suite No. 14)
Very good, seemed very precise and true to the style of the era

49. Ken. - Monk's Dream

I really enjoyed this. I want to expand my own jazz repertoire, so I’ll check out “Thelonious Monk Easy Piano Solos” – sounds like a good source of material!

50. Mar_red - Theme from Schindler's List
I love the original, it’s nice to hear another version of it.

51. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories
Lovely piece. Really nice voicing I thought, the melody stood out so nicely over the LH flowing accompaniment. It’s something I don’t always succeed in myself!

53. Ohio_Mark - Red Rose Rendezvous
Really conveys the mood well and flows with a lovely rhythm.

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941
Great job, particularly for only 2 years playing! As I’ve said elsewhere here, I’m currently working on Invention #8 so I know *exactly* what you mean about it being far more challenging that it looks on paper.

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne in C-Minor, No 21 (Posthumous)
Gorgeous. You are WAY too hard on yourself. I plan to tackle a Chopin Nocturne this year. I got the sheet music for one a couple of months ago but decided it was a bit too daunting and should wait 4-6 months. I’m inspired again after listening to your performance.

56. carlos88 - Bach's Italian Concerto, First Movement
I’m a big Bach fan and really enjoyed this

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Another great recital - so far everybody sounds great! Here's my fir st 10 comments:

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 I tried the other op 49 sonata (the one in the minor key) a few months ago and gave up in disgust at my own ineptitude. So I know the challenges that you faced. You did a great job - yeah there was some unevenness, but more often than not it was very good.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart Another outstanding performance Monica - just what we have come to expect from you. And you did it from memory too!

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 So smooth! I love the way that the sinfonia flows along. The invention is a nice contrast, since it has more energy. Well done.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 Outstanding work - I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. Hinson ranks this as moderately difficult in his guide to the repertoire, his next to the highest level.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major I admire your creative approach to combining the sheet music. I'm willing to bet the composer would approve. Well done.

06. George Schiro - Heartache I always admire the performers who can sit down and improvise something and have it sound great! Thanks...

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 It's funny how what we think we are playing doesn't always mach the recording. We hear it the way we want it to sound, whether we are actually playing it that way or not. You're right, this take sounds great - clear melody.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette Love your recording method. I don't know the original, so your take on it sounds professional to me!

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 Short and sweet - I loved it!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 I've played this too - which reminds me, I need to play some more Mendelssohn! Loved your dynamics. And the trill was great, much better than I ever played it.

More later...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Well, we have raised the bar again it seems;
A testament to accomplishment, from dedication and practice.
Originally Posted by zrft90

Thanks again to those responsible for this very beneficial opportunity to interact with, contribute to and enjoy the variety of music from fellow travellers on this long, difficult and often lonely road.

Nicely said Richard. A great idea this recital venue is. Thank you to those who's efforts make it work so well.

Tremendous appreciation for all the performances.

lyricmudra
This connected with me immediately. I was familiar with it, but from a far distance. What a gorgeous nocturne and particularly so being played at this caliber. You still have it, or it is coming back in spades. I really liked this, and an excellent recording to boot. Very good performance.

Mr. Super Hunky
(Beyond Violette)
… started with a tune by Stephen Moccio called 'Violette' and re-noodled it by adding my own sections and improvisations. I'm not exactly sure at what point a 'cover' becomes an entirely new piece but I'm just about at that point.

This is very clever arrangement Mr. SH. It has resemblances of familiarity, but that is about all. I really like the flow of it and the evolving theme. The LH accompaniment blends very nicely to RH. Well played. A very pleasant listen.

Jazztpt
And a terrific composition indeed, Russ. This is very gentle listen and portrays a very nice family feeling about it. Great series, and very well done.

A quick acknowledgement and kind thank you for listening and generous comments directed my way. I am not at capacity to offer technical help for others, unfortunately, accept at most basic level, but am very appreciative to those that can offer same for me ...
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

I love this piece ... The quality of the recording is a bit muddled (not sure why; …)

Yeah, darn it. I thought it was OK in isolation, but as soon as I began hearing the other performances I knew I was in trouble. The raw version was too noisy to me, and I ended up over treating it with the high and low pass filters I guess. I think this may have been the problem. I've had better and will be more careful in the future.
Originally Posted by zrtf90

I know you've read it correctly in M1-6 but you introduce a semiquaver (sixteenth) instead of a quaver (eighth) in M7 that continues through the piece and I don't know if it's a deliberate interpretive idea or something that's developed below your conscious hearing but there are places, in particular M12, M20 and the penultimate measure, where it stands out more and might just detract a little or come over perhaps as an affectation in such a well known piece.

This is an issue I am having with current method of learning these pieces that are way beyond my reading. I've tried to learn the notes, put them straight to memory, but then quickly rely more on how I remember hearing it, it seems. I did not go back and QA this one well enough when getting it ready for the recital. Also, had you not pointed it out here it would never get fixed of course.
Originally Posted by zrtf90

I don't know how well it might work but I'd prefer to hear all the notes under control. What do you think?

Yep, sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for taking the time to point out this out, Richard and provide this valuable critique.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Latest batch:

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano): I actually liked this piece “at first listen” more than I do most classical, perhaps because it was more romantic/jazzy in tone (although, as you note, there is an anguished/stormy aspect to it, which you bring out well). You had wonderful mastery of the dynamics; I especially liked the dramatic progression from about 0:35-0:41.

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon: Congratulations on your first submission to the recital! With a gorgeous piece like that, I hope it is only the first of many. I am a big fan of Brickman but have not had much luck trying to play any of his pieces; I’ve discovered to my dismay that he’s more complicated rhythmically than the music sounds. Nice job!

23. ajames - Laura: This is such a pretty melody. smile The pedal didn’t sound too muddled to me, but then again, I’m the worst offender of the pedal, so I’m not a good one to ask. ha Extremely impressive performance for somebody who’s only been playing 7 months!!

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse: Oh, I was so looking forward to hear this! And your rendition is simply gorgeous. I’ve fooled around with that piece several times and got absolutely nowhere with it; I found it impossible to make all those off-beat rhythms sound anything other than clunky and awkward. But you capture Einaudi’s spirit wonderfully, and it comes across as haunting and mysterious, as it is supposed to. I really like that Grand Piano 2 sound on your Yamaha, as well. Those deep bass notes really resonate. smile

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves: As I noted on your YouTube video, music is rarely meant to be tackled “logically.” I think your ‘top o’ the head’ improvising was highly successful; the result was a smooth, flowing performance with just the right amount of delicate ornamentations.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3: I kinda liked that first part and didn’t find it boring at all; it had a happy, jaunty feel. You play this with admirable precision. I can see why you got an A in the class!

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt: One take on a nine and a half minute piece?! wow You just earned the “Bravest Tackling of the Red Dot” award for the recital. I can tell this is a piece you’ve put serious bench time into; your trills and ornamentations flow so smoothly and delicately.

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor: You do a great job of recreating the somber mood of this piece. Nice job!

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423: Scarlatti is one of my favorite classical composers, and I really liked this sonata. You do a great job of communicating the poignancy of the piece.

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves: Congratulations on your first ever recital submission! I hope you will continue to play and participate. smile And I have to say that your playing is *extremely* impressive for only having been at the bench 3.5 weeks. Half notes? Chords in the bass? wow Greensleeves is such a pretty melody, too, so this is something you can keep in your repertoire to play for friends and family.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Second round:

11. Jazzwee - Wave You mean you have to put up with a singer? I'm so sorry. (just kidding). Would love to hear you in person some time, but I guess you are way over on the other coast. Sounds great!

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 Beats me how you can do those runs - your fingers just seem to float and they effortlessly come out. Not to mention the polyrhythm. I'm impressed.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 This was very well done - very sensitive touch.

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 Very impressive - very cohesive and well put together.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro Very creative - loved the video. The only thing that would make it better is to actually wear the goggles while you play!

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 Loved the different types of touch that you used. It made it very interesting.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell Wonderful slideshow - cure grandkid - and the music is nice too!

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez Yes, I've heard this before, in some other form, and always wondered what it was. Great playing - thanks for sharing.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major Excellent job with the runs, ornaments, and polyrhythm. Loved it!

More to come...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I am basking in the glow of comments for my Bach, for which, much thanks. It's uplifting to hear other views on what we ourselves may undervalue seeing only the flaws that separate the realisation from the idea in the mind.

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4
Great idea to play something you're already familiar with! wink

This is a wonderful rendition with a very personal and individual interpretation built up over time. You've added a good deal of yourself in this without forsaking Chopin and you've also maintained the free spirit of the mazurka. I really enjoyed this. Keep listening to Artur for inspiration but don't forget who's gonna be playing. Really enjoyable, Peyton, thanks.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart
From that first, rich, sonorous chord I was held spellbound by the layers of sound and timbres from your instrument, the sentiment of the music and your wonderful command of both. I needed several listens to satiate myself. I'm going to need several more.

And I've given in to the urge and ordered George Winston's Solos to catch a bit of this new age malarkey for myself.

You're an inspiration, Monika. Fabulous performance!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6
This was such a tender interpretation it's like you inhaled the score and breathed it gently over the piano and captured the magic of Mendelssohn effortlessly.

You have combined your exceptional accuracy with a remarkable control of dynamics to bring out the cantabile without forcing the tone even in the climax nor ghosting a note in the luxurious, soft accompaniment.

Superb!

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix
Your performance:
After your posts in the call for submissions thread I didn't know what to expect from this but I would never have expected what I got. For the first 2:15 smile there were no obvious wrong notes, no jarring forte's, no serious breach of tempo...nothing to disturb the mood of the piece. You have a very sensitive touch, a fondness of the piece and a promising future at the piano. You need no excuses for your playing. Write a bit about your piece next time and leave the criticism to us!

Your piano:
I have the CA95 which has the extra volume and the soundboard. Still the CA65 is capable of delivering more volume than many of its rivals. This is a superb instrument for practising on and developing a touch suitable for any acoustic instrument from the finest grands to worn out old uprights. The default settings are not the best for recording (either PM me or start a thread in the main ABF forum and we can discuss the settings) but you don't need Audacity to increase the volume. When you plug in the USB stick for recording, press the F2 key and increase the Gain setting, F3 to go back and then hit record. You can use Audacity to delete excess lead in time - and excise sausage finger remixes at the end!

This is an excellent first submission and if it were my remit I'd insist it wasn't your last. Your natural sensitivity for the instrument takes many people years to develop. Well done.

Richard
Thanks for the commentsm so far, guys! Greatly appreciated. Here`s some more o` mine . . .

36 CasinItaly Very frustrating situation you find yourself in. And having to record something you know can be improved, if only . . . .She might have to move, you know . . . happened to me once with a troublesome neighbor! (spelt thsat wrong didn`t I?)
Darned good attempt at this if I may say so. Very tricky stuff in there to trip over. But from what we hear, it`s all there working. Well done!

37 Copper Super melody, sweetly played! Not too sure how it relates to childhood mind! Great job.

38 Lyricmudra Your piano sings beautifully, the playing flows in what I think is one of Chopin`s best. Not being a Chopin lover, I`m glad others have agreed with me. Wonderful!

39 evamar You`ve done so well with so little time under your belt . . No compromising on those notes! Well Done!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
40 Benpiano Love itman; great interaction and fluidity on a lovely piano. Keep `em comin` .

41 Jotur I don`t remember this . . .must be older than me . . .good ole War Time stuff very pleasantly played and totally enjoyable. "When your old wedding ring was new* There`s one I do know . . . .

42 Jayden This is NOT a simple song; you have NO RIGHT to play this at only 2 months . . . .Seriously, excellent. Great job. Loved it.

43 Ganddalf This 100% your own work. It`s complex, there`s nothing lame about anything here; the modulations between keys etc are magnificent. Top Notch stuff.

I think we`ll all want more
Out of that top drawer. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart - lovely piece - reminds of David Lanz standard fare - nicely & effortlessly (at least you make it seem so) played - I've sometimes wondered, given your sensitive approach, what you could do with some of the more beautiful and extended Broadway pieces, say those from Phantom or Les Mis - worth a try as a change of pace in an upcoming Recital?

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette - delightful effort Hunky - you always intrigue and often surprise - really enjoyable and completely listenable!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 - great job on a gorgeous little classical work - enjoyed this immensely!

More to come...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Firstly many thanks to Sam Rose,TheodorN,SwissMS,Monica K,casinitaly,Peterws ,CarlosCC ,Mr Super-Hunky,Jotur ,Jazzwee ,evamar, Kenjazz, Greener & Sam S for listening and for your kind comments, they are really much appreciate.

Jazzwee - It's not written out as yet, I have some scibbled notes for the middle section because I couldn't ever remember it lol.
Your very kind about my playing but my admiration goes to you for actually getting out there and playing, you are way ahead of me.

Kenjazz - now you know all my tricks I will have to learn some new ones :-) Seriously though , thanks for that.

I have only just got started with listening to the recital so hope to give some feedback shortly.I must admit I didn't get to complete my comments last recital and I feel bad about that.

Russ

Jazztpt

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My first batch:

[01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 – I am continually impressed how well you play with only a few years of lessons. From my own Beethoven submission this recital, I know how difficult these pieces are. I don’t think there is such a thing as an “easy” one. I also know how easy it is to miss that peak performance window by letting recording go a bit late. But, besides all this, your playing is improving by leaps and bounds. You should be very proud of yourself!

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart – This is quite beautiful. And nicely played. I’m generally not a fan of this “new age” stuff. But, I can appreciate all the work that went into this to make it sound effortless. You make it really flow quite lovely.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 – I’m not as familiar with the Sinfonia as I should be. But I love Bach and I really like your playing of him. I know the Invention well. Many little places to screw up! And you move it right along too. Very enjoyable to listen to!

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 – Brahms is not easy. So I know that this was quite the undertaking. Your playing is confident and musical. I’m unfamiliar with this piece. Your piano is sounding very nice with a lovely clear bell quality to it. Quite beautiful.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major – Another piece I’ve never heard before. It’s very pretty. You play it quite well. I’m not familiar with the Bosendorfer sound so this was a treat too. It’s “different” but quite beautiful.

06. George Schiro – Heartache – As usual, I’m in awe of you composers! I’ve been asked why I don’t compose. Well, my knowledge of theory is not what it should be! This may be just a “feeling” but it’s really beautiful and heartfelt.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 – Well, you’re right in that you’ve brought out the melody beautifully. You’ve created a very nice balance between accompaniment and melody. This is another piece I have not heard. Your playing is quite sensitive and conveys the intensity in the music quite well.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette – You “doodlers” are impressive!!! I can’t tell where the original lets off and you begin. So, you’ve created a seamless musical event. As for your digital, no offense, but bring back the BB!!!!!!!!

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 - Very mature playing after only 2 years! Yes, once you get a little taste of Bach it’s hard to let go. Very nice job!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 - Your playing is improving each recital. You play more musically and with confidence. Quite lovely. I really enjoyed this.

11. Jazzwee – Wave – Huh, really sounds like we are in a café full of people! Kind of an interesting effect. Wish the piano was a little louder because you play this with quite the beat and enthusiasm. You got my toe tapping with this one. Very nice.

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 - I too look to Rubinstein for Chopin interpretation. I thought your tempo was fine in this. Your playing is very crisp and clear. All the ornamentations come through quite nicely. A very nice performance.

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin - I’ve so often wanted to learn this. Debussy just scares the heck out of me!!! The music is so “open” and left to the poor pianist to figure it out. Well, you figured it all out quite nicely!! You too are improving with each recital. I think Summerkeys agrees with you. The key signature is too scary!!

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 - Ahh, something I have played. Your first attempt at the pedal goes very well. You too are improving like crazy!!!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 – The quality of playing continues!! This is getting ridiculous. We’re getting good folks. I mean it. Your playing is very musical and mature. I can’t get over how improved people are sounding! OK, you have some experience under your belt. But, I don’t care. You sound great in this!

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro – Very familiar aria. Never heard it played on piano before. Too bad your digital doesn’t have the sustain of an acoustic. Your playing would sound even better. A very measured, contained performance. But just what was called for.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 – Love me some Scarlatti!!! I think the tempo is just fine. You do a very nice job with this. You attack everything with just the right finesse. Sounds great!

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell - I really can’t get over you composers!! This flows very nicely with very melodic modulations. If you told me some professional wrote this, I’d believe you! This is some good stuff!!

19. Riddler (Ed) – Aranjuez – I am familiar with the guitar orchestra composition. Very hard to get that orchestral effect on piano. Still, I think you do convey some of the intensity in the original version. The full chords underneath the melody plus your added runs “flesh” this out nicely. Played on guitar this will bring tears to your eyes.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major – A not so easy Nocturne as it’s so easy to have the left hand lead where the right should lead and the left follow. I think you do a fairly good job overcoming that pitfall. I take this just slightly slower. You might try that. Your playing just has a bit of a sense of rushing. Take your time and enjoy this! You play quite well. Enjoy yourself a little more! Nice job on the ending. Faster than I can play those repeated notes!!!!

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano)- Debussy is not for the faint hearted with its open to interpretation style. This may be a reach for you. But you have certainly risen to the challenge. Your playing is musical and evocative. Just as Debussy should be. Well done! This is by far the best I have heard you play. Really well done!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
55. Sam Rose Shmuel R -
piece: Chopin, Nocturne in C-Minor, No 21 Posthumous
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: very little. Some sharp metallic rings on the first few notes and at few places. Some noise like sliding feet over the ground. Cracking newspaper at the end. Sharp sound like plates being stacked, someone at work in the kitchen I guess :-)
bass: nice
depth of field: ok
piano sound: very nice

musical:
overall impression, like: lovely playing Sam! You can make this music really sing. We hear a lot of Chopin from you , are you going to record the complete works :-)
Just a bit of nitpicking:
The last note of the upward run at 1:35 sounds a bit clipped timewise.
At 2:40 the run up is bit weird the LH suddenly needs to double the speed. Guess this is the 'wonky rythm at places' ?
Phrasing: good
rubato, speed changes: Yes there is rubato and it works fine. But I feel the RH is having the lead in the rubato, breaking the flow of the left hand. Did you try what happens if the LH is taking the lead instead if you want rubato? I hope this makes sense :-)
Dynamics: nice
articulation: mostly pedal. Works fine for this.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

Don't those voices get even harder to do when you're recording yourself? It's so hard! Keep up the good work, and thanks for reminding me I should play more Bach.

Yes, recording really creates a lot of pressure. A few days after the recording I played through the piece perfectly and wished that this had been my recording. Despite all the repetitions I'm still fond of the piece though, which is a good sign.

Originally Posted by evamar

Personally I don't believe that any of Bach's pieces is actually easy, not on paper nor in reality. But you do make it sound easy, your 10 fingers are completely independent and create gorgeous music. I hope I'll be able to learn this one in a couple years.

Thank you very much. I'm sure you can play the prelude as well. I put a lot of effort in it and at time thought that I will not be able to do it. I think even my teacher was relieved when it suddenly made "click". Btw, I played a lot with Synthesia as well. It is what made me finally start playing the piano.

Originally Posted by JimF

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941 Boy are you tough on yourself, MrPozor. I thought that was a terrific Bach performance.... both voices coming through clearly articulated and with nice balance. Very, very well done. 3hearts

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like the performance. I AM happy with the result but there is still a lot of room for improvement. But that's true for everything in life.

Originally Posted by casinitaly

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941 Oh, you can make yourself crazy doing multiple takes! This one was an elegant rendition. I know what you mean about even the simplest of Bach pieces being tricky - those voices! They are a puzzle to work out indeed. The only problem with your performance was that it was too short! I was just starting to get into it and it was done! Well done!

I always wonder how many takes others do. Is 30 takes excessive? I'm not counting full runs but also aborted trials. And you're right about the length of the piece. I don't realize it while I'm playing but seeing the final recording time of less than a minute is always a bit shocking. I guess endurance and keeping playing accurate over a longer time is something that I will learn in the future.

Originally Posted by SwissMS

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941 I really like this Prelude. You played it very well, with good voicing. Each voice was shaped well.

Thank you SwissMS. I was very moved by your piece btw. A very powerful and emotional performance!

Originally Posted by barbaram

Great job, particularly for only 2 years playing! As I’ve said elsewhere here, I’m currently working on Invention #8 so I know *exactly* what you mean about it being far more challenging that it looks on paper.

Thank you for the kind words. I've heard of the Bach Inventions but never listened to them so far. Will do so immediately.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And now the final batch...the early-birds at the front of the list..... probably an indication that they are well prepared with their pieces.

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 As usual I love your work Andy. The beautiful tone in your runs is so clear and even, and the phrases always nicely shaped. Any minor slips just make you human. A submission fit for starting off the recital.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart Yikes, Monica, has Einaudi run out of music? laugh (ducking, running, and just kidding....really blush )I Never heard of Wesley before this... but you seem to play it like it was written for you...so expressive and musical...very nice,very pretty, sort of haunting melody. Thanks for sharing it with us.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 This sounds just so solid under your fingers Richard, sounds like you are in that comfort zone where you can devote most of your attention to the nuances of interpretation. Really nice to hear what this sounds like under experienced fingers. thumb

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 I don't really know how to comment on a piece this densely difficult. The tone was extra beautiful in the melodic section...the Grotrian sounds wonderful. You have obviously put a lot of hours into this virtuoso piece. Nice job.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major Oh my, what a lovely nocturne...made even sweeter by the Bosi. When I shopped pianos the only thing I like better than the Estonias was the Bosi's...and buttery smooth action was exactly my description too. Not being too familiar with this work...your amalgam works just fine for me.

06. George Schiro - Heartache Your improv reminds me of Granados in the beginning, almost a guitarlike sound to it. I liked it a lot and could picture it being played somewhere like Spain or Argentina.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 Mel, you always come up with the most interesting music. Thanks for introducing me to another composer that I should know. Such a beautiful piece....you seem to have a great feel for it...I found the music very emotional, and your playing to match. So nice. 3hearts

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette I always enjoy your submissions, Mr SH. You have given us so many images to work with over the years...from your little paradise homestead, roadbuilding on the lower 40, the llamas...and now...probiotics coming out the nose...? cry No wait, that doesn't go with this pretty music you have created. I liked it a bunch.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 Good for you that you are willing to keep coming Bach (groan sick ) for more... it is apparent you are getting better at these, Diana. You can almost see the developing hand independence, plus you seem nicely relaxed. Really good work here.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 Melody really sings out beautifully with a nice quiet left underneath it. Beautiful legato. All that work on technique is paying off in spades, Doris. Even more amazing for having just started it in December. 3hearts

11. Jazzwee - Wave I should have saved this for when I was home and could enjoy it with a cocktail...Always enjoy your live submissions Jazzwee. You have come so far in such a short time. Barkeep, another round on me!

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 I'm so accustomed to hearing your originals that it was quite a delight to hear you playing Chopin. I'm glad you put your own interpretation on it, because the result is very easy on the ears. Sometimes I lose interest halfway through one of the mazurkas, but you kept it moving in a way that held my attention throughout. Sweet.

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin Loved this beautiful Debussy that I'd never heard before....now on my "please, someday, please list". Played so sensitively and cleanly....which must be very hard with it being so quiet in character. Just wonderful playing.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 loved the intro screen humor..LOL.. You are obviously musical and have a nice feel for the phrases. Can't call yourself a pedal-noob after playing this so well. Great work. thumb

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 I have been thinking of taking on this piece in the future, so it is nice to see one of our most experienced members put it up in the recital. I love the way you sustain the energy throughout the piece, something I have trouble with. And your pace just sounds so relaxed and introspective. Thank you, I enjoyed it very much.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro As you can see I have had this beautiful aria in my working sig line for a long time. A different arrangement, so it will be fun to put it up some day if I ever feel that I play it as well as you do your version. Loved your steady pace and expressive playing. I wish more people would play the Puccini arrangements that are available. O Mio is my fourth one and it will not be my last. Thanks for sharing.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 It is great that you stayed with this after the difficulty of the recital. Shows your determination. This performance came off beautifully. Scarlatti leaves you so exposed but you handled it like a pro. Nice job.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell Russ, I'm so glad I saved one of my favorite PW jazzers and your wonderful composition for last. Your playing perfectly expresses the love, joy, and wonder of this new addition to your family. Thank you for putting so much into your music and then graciously sharing it with us. wow

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
36. Casinitaly- Nice going. It sounds like a tough little piece but you are really starting to get it.

35. JimF- What a nice choice to play. I have never heard this piece before and it's quite lovely. Well done.

27. dynamobt- Wow, what an undertaking! I'm really impressed by your playing. That's a lot to get under your fingers and you do an admirable job in not only just getting through it but putting some great feeling into what you are playing. I really enjoyed listening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9
Glad you played this one. I haven't really listened to the Bagatelle's at all (feels like a confession). You've done great work on this, especially for starting it only 8 months in!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1
Wow, this is nice! It really sings and your phrasing is great at creating a narrative. Dynamics are also very classy. Very well played, thanks for sharing. Can't believe the SWW recital was deprived of this performance. Not sure how I've gone this long and still haven't played any Mendelssohn because I love his music so much.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro
Most entertaining video yet! Well you really had me going there with the piano label but you are kind enough to spoil it in the description (the sound gave it away just a bit ha ha). What a great selection and I enjoyed your playing.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78
Ah, Scarlatti! I don't know this one but thanks for sharing it and bringing it to my attention. I always like Scarlatti but almost never hear his music. Seems that you are making good progress on this one, I'm sure it will only get better in time.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Next round of amazing performances:

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano) This is a great melodic piece. You performed it with much care and introduced every new chord in a soft, controlled manner. Nicely done.

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon I enjoyed this tune and your performance of it very much. I am a Brickman fan and as such am familiar with his music. You really did a nice job with this one.

23. ajames - Laura You have a delicate touch which further enhances a piece like this. Your doing great, keep up with it.

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse Carlos, I get it. The word you are looking for is 'immersion'. complete and total immersion. It can include some or all of the senses, depending on your focus. This was a fantastic piece and performance in which to implement this total immersion. Great job as always.

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves Peter, I'm going to be honest. It's almost scary watching and listening to you play. I am pre-thinking the melodies along with what you are playing....and we are BOTH going to the same musical place. I'm not kidding. It's like thinking what I would do next, and then just watch you do it. You obviously 'get it'. Another recital favorite of mine.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3 Yes, I enjoyed your performance very much. Very 'poppy' and alive. Your playing is so crisp and played with clarity. Well done.

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvtA 9 minute piece performed on a Mason BB....I've got all day to listen as what could sound better? Great playing, great sound, even great recording. That's a trifecta if I've ever seen one! Really, this was top notch at all levels.

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor This certainly was gentle, dramatic, moody and broody all at the same time. What I'd expect from a Chopin performance. Very nicely performed by you Jake.

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423 Well this certainly was a top notch sounding recording. You made a good choice. I especially liked the subtle fade at the ending. Nice touch.

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves Congratulations on your first ABF recital participation. After just a few weeks, you're already on your way to creating your own musical performances. Keep up the good work as we all would like to hear more from you in the future.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I listened to a few more, I am really enjoying everyone's performances!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 very nice, thanks for sharing this recording!

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro I am not familiar with this piece, but your performance brings out its lyrical quality quite nicely!

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 Great job! I've only attempted on piece by Scarlatti and found it much too difficult!

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell that was lovely! I really like the musical color your playing created!

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez I've never here this piece before, but I really enjoyed it! I thought it sounded very melodramatic, which is something I often like in music! smile

And with that, you have all inspired me and I am off to pick out which piece to start next!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission