2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
ece9600 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello

I'd welcome any advice. I started the piano in January, having previously played classical guitar as a child/teenager. I am really enjoying it and am preparing for grade 1.

I've also started playing a few pieces that are probably too hard for me, given that I've only been playing a month, eg Bach's Prelude No 1 from the WTC which I can play well enough to actually enjoy playing, if that makes any sense, and bits of the Chopin A Minor waltz (post.) which I can play the easy bits of at a snail's pace.

In your opinion, is it a bad idea to attempt things you're not really ready for? If I could, I'd far rather learn the piano by playing the music I love, not the stuff that's written for beginners. I realise that beginner's things often have a learning objective so I'm not neglecting them and am also working on exercises and scales etc. But is there a risk of developing bad habits if I try to run before I can walk?

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Do you have a teacher? Can you read music well? Are you using a method book or collection of beginner level pieces?

Generally, *far* too hard is a bad idea.

Yes, it's normal to want to play the things you like, but at one month into piano--a little more time getting some basics in would serve you much better in the long run.

Patience, grasshopper.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think you know the answers to your questions. You do what you have to do. Some people has to learn it the hard way. At least you are still learning. Let us know how you go in a year's time.

Good luck!

Be yourself

E
ece9600 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks, both of you. I do have a teacher and we're doing the Carol Barratt course books. I can read treble clef but find that bass clef is an effort- my brain goes through a process of thinking "that looks like a C to me so it's really an E" which makes sight reading quite hard.

At the moment I'm trying to do 10 mins exercises, 10 mins scales, 20 mins on my assigned pieces and 20 mins on whatever I want (the harder stuff), aiming for 7 days a week but it tends to be more like 5 given work and children. I should probably spend longer on what I'm supposed to be playing, I think. I shall try to channel David Carradine ;-)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The harder stuff is great as long as it's stretching you and you're enjoying it. If you're getting stalled/frustrated then put it on the shelf for a while and visit it again later. It definitely is good to also have some pieces you can play beautifully and with confidence.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
S
S
What Stubbie and hreichgott said.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I self confess to being very similar in that I want to play the hard stuff but after playing for just over a year a couple of things have been learned. Firstly if you stretch too far then the piece begins to feel like a weight and you never finish it because of that one little thing (or several) you can't get right. If you stretch just enough then you feel a real breakthrough and some of the things you thought hard before seem easier. However attempting a piece you are not quite ready for generally means you will need to spend a lot more time on the piece to iron out one or more new technical requirements. If you have the time then fine but if you are time poor this needs to be re-thought.

After I read a post in which a teacher recommended learning up to 40 new pieces per year I did a bit more reading on the subject and had a change of heart in the direction I was going ie only learning a much smaller amount. I found I was constantly trying to force improvement by taking on harder and harder pieces to the point I was bogged down in technical challenges only getting a few of the pieces finished and having to call a halt on most of them. So now I am taking a different approach in that I am attempting to learn a few hard pieces, a few at what I consider my level and a lot more at a level below that. The reasoning is obvious, filling in missing technical gaps, satisfaction in learning a piece in under a week (and recording it), improvement to sight reading, as well as improving the way I learn which is a skill in itself and like everything in piano is leaned by repetition.

So my advice: yes take on a harder piece to stretch yourself and to find out what awaits you at higher levels, but keep a rein on ambition for the fundamentals you are learning now are very important. It is also a bit like the tortoise and the hare story, rushing too fast burns you out while a slow and steady pace gets you to the same place in better shape.

A final thought, for I remember well how difficult the first few (the first six for me) months are. It will get better and soon enough you will be attempting more interesting pieces. The Bach Prelude in C is a great piece and I have seen it rated as anything from grade 2 to 5. I recorded it for a recital here after five and a half months learning and I am not sorry I did as it was a much need confidence booster. I have the rest of my life to get it right lol

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
thumb for what earlofmar said. Taking on pieces that are too far above your abilities can actually slow down your development of skills.

When I first returned to piano as an adult (I had a couple of years of lesson as a pre teenager) I jumped into advanced material very quickly. My teacher assigned Chopin nocturnes, Mozart K545, etc. I played them, but very poorly, and I worked on them for months. I realised I had big holes in my foundation and lacked the technical skill to do the pieces justice.

My second return to lessons as an adult was in Jan. 2011. This time I worked through the basics with a teacher, and built up my technique through scales and pieces at my level. Progress was much steadier, and now I can play the more advanced pieces much more effectively. I still learn a mix of easy pieces and a couple that are a grade or two higher than what is currently comfortable. We pick those pieces to address a specific technique that I need to acquire. Now I feel like I have a sold foundation and can progress correctly. So, at least for me, stretching a little, but not a lot, is the way to improve the quickest.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
So, at least for me, stretching a little, but not a lot, is the way to improve the quickest.

Agree, no point in getting stuck and frustrated, you need to see some improving. Pick one piece over your current level -not a virtuoso one!- and continue with the graded pieces. Once that one is done, pick another.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by ece9600
At the moment I'm trying to do 10 mins exercises, 10 mins scales, 20 mins on my assigned pieces and 20 mins on whatever I want
Have you been playing for a month or just taken lessons for a month but have played longer? Did your teacher assign the scales and exercises? What exercises?

Playing harder pieces is fine if they're just a part of what you do at the piano. Playing scales with less than a year's experience I'd be more concerned about. The exercises? That depends on the exercises.

Richard
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

In your opinion, is it a bad idea to attempt things you're not really ready for?

Hi, Ece. For my part, I think that it's a good thing. I've always done it, and I've always had the impression that this is an important part of my progress. Never with the idea of really being able to play these pieces but just to read them if you like, to get to know them. It is fascinating to see how is constructed music that you listen to, it greatly deepens your appreciation of the music and of the genius of its author.

As for developing bad habits, could be, but having a good time on the piano is a good habit, definitely to be cultivated.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano

In your opinion, is it a bad idea to attempt things you're not really ready for?

Hi, Ece. For my part, I think that it's a good thing. I've always done it, and I've always had the impression that this is an important part of my progress. Never with the idea of really being able to play these pieces but just to read them if you like, to get to know them. It is fascinating to see how is constructed music that you listen to, it greatly deepens your appreciation of the music and of the genius of its author.

As for developing bad habits, could be, but having a good time on the piano is a good habit, definitely to be cultivated.

I agree with this for the most part, but not for someone one month into piano. What you describe above is reasonable for someone with good sightreading and listening skills and some knowledge of how pieces are constructed, but not for someone still in the early stages of reading notes on both staffs.

Thanks, both of you. I do have a teacher and we're doing the Carol Barratt course books. I can read treble clef but find that bass clef is an effort- my brain goes through a process of thinking "that looks like a C to me so it's really an E" which makes sight reading quite hard.

At the moment I'm trying to do 10 mins exercises, 10 mins scales, 20 mins on my assigned pieces and 20 mins on whatever I want (the harder stuff), aiming for 7 days a week but it tends to be more like 5 given work and children. I should probably spend longer on what I'm supposed to be playing, I think. I shall try to channel David Carradine ;-)

Underlining mine.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Stubbie

I agree with this for the most part, but not for someone one month into piano.

Hi Stubbie. You may be right. Maybe you is, maybe you ain't ... but if someone had told me that back when I was a month into piano I sure wouldn't have listened to them !!! No regrets!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have my own golden rule of attainable difficulties... a given piece you should be able to read and play it reasonably well at the pace of one page per week, if it's repertoire. Exercises and etudes are different and takes more time because they need to be beyond your reach and might even take 2 to 4 time as much... meaning.. even a month for the first page while you're tackling the technical difficulties.

from that 1 page per week, to "ready for performance" is a totally different story.

there is no shame on dropping one piece that is too hard to allow your growth and than go back and pick it up again after some time, sometimes months, sometimes years... I found out that if you spent enough quality time with a given piece, it will come back in a matter of hours at most.

For me is also true that you can make the opposite mistake... spend too much time on repertoire that is not too challenging for you and you won't develop technically... but you might develop musicality from an increased knowledge of the repertoire.

As practical suggestion, especially as beginner, aim to grow technically as fast as you can until you get beyond the level of pieces that you'd love to perform... the better you're, the easier becomes to accumulate repertoire and the amount of material that you can learn in a short amount of time becomes incredibly vast.

E
ece9600 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you, everyone.

I was interested to see someone saying playing scales this early was concerning. Is that right? Scales are unavoidable if you want to do grades, surely?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Yeah, I really believe scales are bad with less than a year's experience and especially so without a teacher and/or beginning with C major.

But if you're going the exam route the Grade 1 syllabus shouldn't begin without a year's foundation first and you should be with a teacher anyway, if you're going that route, who may (or may not) begin with B major so that you can work up to C, G, D and F (ABRSM Grade I scales).

I would also advise an adult to start at a higher grade if grades are going to be taken. There's less need for token markers of progress for an adult and a good teacher would ensure exam requirements are met well enough that fear of failure shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I don't even know anyone who's failed an exam below grade 6.

There are people who've posted here doing 30 minutes of scales every day as soon as they get their first piano. That is so dangerous as well as being a complete waste of time!

That's why I asked if it was your teacher who assigned the scales.

Richard
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I would second the delay in playing scales. At just fourteen months in to my journey I am better prepared to do scales today than I was in my first few months. After playing quite a bit of repertoire in my first year I think it prepared me for scales, particularity the fingering which makes more sense, intuitive actually, now I have some experience. I did start scales with my teacher in the first few months but dropped them until fairly recently. Now I see that not doing scales have not hampered my playing I am only doing them now to get used to the scale itself and not as a blind exercise.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by SwissMS
thumb for what earlofmar said. Taking on pieces that are too far above your abilities can actually slow down your development of skills.

When I first returned to piano as an adult (I had a couple of years of lesson as a pre teenager) I jumped into advanced material very quickly. My teacher assigned Chopin nocturnes, Mozart K545, etc. I played them, but very poorly, and I worked on them for months. I realised I had big holes in my foundation and lacked the technical skill to do the pieces justice.

My second return to lessons as an adult was in Jan. 2011. This time I worked through the basics with a teacher, and built up my technique through scales and pieces at my level. Progress was much steadier, and now I can play the more advanced pieces much more effectively. I still learn a mix of easy pieces and a couple that are a grade or two higher than what is currently comfortable. We pick those pieces to address a specific technique that I need to acquire. Now I feel like I have a sold foundation and can progress correctly. So, at least for me, stretching a little, but not a lot, is the way to improve the quickest.

+1
This my second time around as an adult returner as well. It's funny I did almost exactly what you did, SwissMS. I did 7 years as a child. My last piece as a child was Chopin's raindrop prelude. So I did not like to go back to "baby" pieces. Big mistake. I too took on Moz 545. Ahhh I still remember the tormentingly uneven scale. The more I play the worse it sounded. I thought I had never heard anything as horrible as this. I came back to piano 2009. This time I too took a step back. Did scales, arpeggio, exercises and went back to manageable pieces. It was much better.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Yeah, I really believe scales are bad with less than a year's experience and especially so without a teacher and/or beginning with C major.

Originally Posted by earlofmar
I would second the delay in playing scales.

I take the opposite point of view, I believe that scales are really good, from day one. Better with a teacher, even better with a good teacher, and even better with a real good teacher, but that's so with pretty much anything.

And beginning with C-major. Parallel motion, contrary motion, one two three four octaves. All tonalities, it needn't take a long time. An adult, if he's got a little free time, can get to doing all tonalities in a couple of weeks, even in a day or two.

It's a great way for you and your piano to get to know each other, with possibilty for stable relationship if affinities! Better than spending weeks and months and years just hopscotching around middle C. I mean, you've paid for 88 keys: use 'em !!!

Plus, lt's a great musical exercise, and an excellent help with reading.

S
S
I find that my main reason for taking on pieces beyond me is that the boiled down 'easy piano' versions often are unrecognizable. I'd rather fight for a week or two and play the song as it was intended than poke through some of the modified versions.
I have a truly horrible adaptation of In The Mood by Joe Garland that I would rather use to light a campfire than play.

Yamaha LU101, Casio CDP220R. 1968 Mason & Risch 'frankenpiano' only the cat plays. It's where our musical journey began though so I refuse to get rid of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission