Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2233184 - 02/17/14 01:50 PM Piano Summer Programs
pianoman87 Offline

Hi everyone, I am looking for a good Summer Piano Program and a friend of mine recommended PianTexas International Academy & Festival. I just looked at their website and their program looks pretty good however I am not sure if I should apply for it or not. Have any of you attended that festival before or is planning to attend it this year? I would like to have some feedback about the program.

This is the program I am thinking on applying: http://www.pianotexas.org/young.asp

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2233769 - 02/18/14 02:07 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: pianoman87]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
I attended Piano Texas last year and had a fabulous time. I'm planning to go back this June. 10 days of piano! We attended the finals of the Van Cliburn piano competition (this option won't be available this summer),had masterclasses, recitals, and a very busy schedule. I lived in the dorm and the practice rooms in the basement of the dorm were open 24/7. I'd get back from the evening recital and dinner, take a shower, and go down to practice at 11 or so. Absolute heaven.

The Texas Christian campus is lovely. We had an option to pay for the food service at $10 a day which was worth it even tho I usually didn't eat dinner on campus. They have an excellent salad bar and food selection. (I would advise taking a large coffee cup as the food service does not have "take out" cups.)

Let me know if you have any questions. If I can't answer one, a member of our piano society here has attended for eight years running and probably can.

By the by, I intend to buy a tablet with internet access before I go this year. So many people were following the scores during the master classes last summer and I told my husband when I came home that I definitely needed one.

#2233788 - 02/18/14 02:52 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: pianoman87]
pianoman87 Offline

Hello Agilita, thank you very much for your reply! Based on what you are saying the program sounds really good. I have a couple of questions for you, I hope you don't mind. I see that the faculty is great, are you able to pick the teachers you want to study with? I really would love to have a lesson with Paul Badura-Skoda.

I am glad to hear that we will have plenty of time for practice (I attended some festivals before in which practicing was a difficult thing to do). Are the pianos good?

Thank you again!

#2233845 - 02/18/14 04:59 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: Agilita]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Agilita

By the by, I intend to buy a tablet with internet access before I go this year. So many people were following the scores during the master classes last summer and I told my husband when I came home that I definitely needed one.

This isn't at all specific to summer programs, but I wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE doing this. I often get the scores ready to go on my ipad when I go to any given concert, and I have a program that runs on my ipad that makes the screen super dark so it's no more obtrusive than the program notes themselves. I have an ipad mini, so it's even basically the same size. You can still read the score as it's black and white and doesn't need much, if any, backlight.

Our seats this year have been in a box, with nobody in front or in back of us, so I could do even more, but I don't.

I don't always look at the score, but sometimes it adds to my enjoyment.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2233851 - 02/18/14 05:16 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

This isn't at all specific to summer programs, but I wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE doing this. I often get the scores ready to go on my ipad when I go to any given concert, and I have a program that runs on my ipad that makes the screen super dark so it's no more obtrusive than the program notes themselves. I have an ipad mini, so it's even basically the same size. You can still read the score as it's black and white and doesn't need much, if any, backlight.

Our seats this year have been in a box, with nobody in front or in back of us, so I could do even more, but I don't.

I love this idea--hadn't thought of it, will have to check it out. Thanks for the good digression!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2234209 - 02/19/14 12:00 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: pianoman87]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
Last year I went as a General Observer and had to arrange my own lessons. I asked several people who had been there multiple years for recommendations and, because they felt that I wanted to work on technical issues, Igor Resnianski was recommended. He is terrific and I highly recommend him.

This year I will go as an Active Observer and will have two piano lessons. Tamas Unger assigns the teachers for these. You can arrange additional lessons with a teacher of your choice but do have to pay them individually (as I did Igor last year.) I think that you can request a certain teacher but Dr. Unger makes the final decisions.

I'm not sure about the assignment of teachers for those going as a performer (applying for a masterclass). If you are considering that, the deadline is March 3.

#2234238 - 02/19/14 01:13 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

I think I would not only be distracted but highly annoyed if the person next to me were following a score on an electronic device in a concert venue, no matter how "dark" the screen. In a master class situation that would be an entirely different matter, but in a concert venue it seems to me to be a lack of consideration for those sitting nearby.

Regards,

#2234257 - 02/19/14 01:49 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: Agilita]
pianoman87 Offline

Thank you very much for the information. I think I will apply very soon. I hope to see you there in June.

#2234284 - 02/19/14 02:15 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: BruceD]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: BruceD

I think I would not only be distracted but highly annoyed if the person next to me were following a score on an electronic device in a concert venue, no matter how "dark" the screen. In a master class situation that would be an entirely different matter, but in a concert venue it seems to me to be a lack of consideration for those sitting nearby.

Regards,

Gee, it wouldn't have occurred to me that this would bother other people. Do you feel the same way about the pocket paper scores that zealous music students used to take to concerts? (Though how they had enough light to see them by, I don't know)
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2235057 - 02/20/14 06:33 PM Re: Piano Summer Programs [Re: Agilita]
pianogranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I attended Piano Texas last year and had a fabulous time. I'm planning to go back this June. 10 days of piano! We attended the finals of the Van Cliburn piano competition (this option won't be available this summer),had masterclasses, recitals, and a very busy schedule. I lived in the dorm and the practice rooms in the basement of the dorm were open 24/7. I'd get back from the evening recital and dinner, take a shower, and go down to practice at 11 or so. Absolute heaven.

The Texas Christian campus is lovely. We had an option to pay for the food service at $10 a day which was worth it even tho I usually didn't eat dinner on campus. They have an excellent salad bar and food selection. (I would advise taking a large coffee cup as the food service does not have "take out" cups.)

Let me know if you have any questions. If I can't answer one, a member of our piano society here has attended for eight years running and probably can.

This sounds like so much fun! When I get myself back in the groove again, I will definitely consider this program!
Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Today at 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
Today at 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
Today at 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
Today at 02:28 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ajames, 36 invisible), 1350 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission