2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mine`s recorded, blunders and all. Out o` tune piano. You get to see the LH! (Another blunder-shrug)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I can consistently play mine through at 80% tempo error free, so there is hope. At tempo I still blunder a couple of spots, but I have hope that I'll get a good recording next week. Now it is starting to be fun!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Well, I can consistently play mine through at 80% tempo error free, so there is hope. At tempo I still blunder a couple of spots, but I have hope that I'll get a good recording next week. Now it is starting to be fun!

YAY! I'll bet you do a splendid job SwissMs. Can't wait to hear your piece.

I am so looking forward to this Joplin recital despite my not participating. I forget who proposed this but thanks for doing it.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Like the general recital, I'm gonna open up submissions on the 1st (if Sam s or Monica k helps me) with the recital going live on the 15th.

Kudos to those who've already got theirs recorded. I don't! (Had another run through with teach tonight--ugh!)

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Everything's up to target tempo - except - about 8 measures with right-hand octaves. Oh well laugh

This evening I worked on those 8 measures very slowly, mostly to pay attention to releasing the tension in my wrists and shoulders, playing relaxed, knowing exactly where I get confused so that I can correct that and let *that* tension go, et al. I felt terrific when I was done - no tension anywhere! But those measures are not at tempo laugh Still, the side effects of that practice were worthwhile. I think I won't try them at anything faster than I can do them without tempo from now on, until about a week before I submit. Then, if they're still not at tempo, I'll cut my losses and play them without the bottom of the octave. Practicality wins!

But you never know -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jotur
Everything's up to target tempo - except - about 8 measures with right-hand octaves. Oh well laugh

This evening I worked on those 8 measures very slowly, mostly to pay attention to releasing the tension in my wrists and shoulders, playing relaxed, knowing exactly where I get confused so that I can correct that and let *that* tension go, et al. I felt terrific when I was done - no tension anywhere! But those measures are not at tempo laugh Still, the side effects of that practice were worthwhile. I think I won't try them at anything faster than I can do them without tempo from now on, until about a week before I submit. Then, if they're still not at tempo, I'll cut my losses and play them without the bottom of the octave. Practicality wins!

But you never know -

Cathy

Which measures are giving you trouble? The opening double-hand octaves, or something later on?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Derulux
Which measures are giving you trouble? The opening double-hand octaves, or something later on?

The pick-up and last 4 measures of the A part, and measures 9-12 of the D (second-to-last) part. I have very small hands and can only reach an octave off the ends of the keys, and barely that. I've been playing octaves in my left hand long enough that they are now flexible enough to have a little more width, but for the right hand they're still a real stretch. So I get a lot of tension in my wrist, and I have a long ways to go from the black keys to the edge of the white laugh They are actually *much* better than I thought they'd be, but they're still so slow my metronome won't count them laugh

I actually think at some point they're doable. After all, the left hand's gotten there. I'm just not sure they're doable in the next month. The slow-paying-attention-to-releasing tension is quite helpful, and exaggerating loose wrists is helpful, including in helping release tension in my shoulders. And of course knowing exactly where I'm going helps a lot laugh

I'm not even trying the intro with octaves in both hands - just using 2 hands to do the higher octave smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah, if you have small hands that can't really reach an octave, that's really tough. My grandmother was a fabulous pianist, but her hands were very small. As a consequence, she could barely reach an octave when she was younger and her flexibility was good. By the time she hit her 70s, she had to have carpal tunnel surgery, and her hands really stiffened up. She can still play, but not nearly like she used to. (When I was a kid, she was in her early 50s, and I don't ever remember her making a single mistake at the keys for the first 15 years of my life.)

In the last 4 measures of the A-section, you don't have to worry about black-to-white keys, but if it's a stretch, obviously that presents its own challenges! smile Have you tried messing around with single-note leaps? (Meaning, when you have to jump a 4th, for example, you play that as a single note, but the major 2nds you play as an octave. This happens on the 2nd half of the first beat in the 3rd and 2nd measures before the Section A repeat.) Also, drop the major/minor 3rds if you can't reach them (or consider playing the top octave with the 3rd, while dropping the bottom octave note).

In mm 9-12 of the D-section, consider playing the B# with 4 (dropping the bottom note) so you can keep the octaves on the C# black keys. The jump to E is a little tricky, but you get the extra "half-beat" to adjust for the return to C# so an almost imperceptible delay there in striking the E might help. (Usually, jumping on the C# a hair early helps delay the E by a hair, leaving just enough room to make the leap.. kind of like swinging the notes.)

Same thing in mm10. Drop the lower A#, so your 4th finger plays the higher note.

Do little tricks like that help you out?

Also, for the octaves at the intro -- consider splitting the hands by an octave to round out the sound. Mess around with it, and see what sounds best. I've never done it that way, and don't have a keyboard handy to try it myself, but your ear will undoubtedly tell you what's best. smile

I do hope some of this is helpful! smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh, thanks! yes, those are some good ideas to try! That way I could still have some of that fuller sound with octaves, but not the all-stretch-all-the-time. I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks again smile

Cathy

PS - yes, in The Entertainer I turn many of the octaves with internal notes into 6ths. Works for me smile

Last edited by jotur; 02/18/14 02:14 AM. Reason: added PS

Cathy
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jotur
Oh, thanks! yes, those are some good ideas to try! That way I could still have some of that fuller sound with octaves, but not the all-stretch-all-the-time. I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks again smile

Cathy

PS - yes, in The Entertainer I turn many of the octaves with internal notes into 6ths. Works for me smile

Anytime! smile

And if you're used to adding 6ths, consider adding them where you're dropping the octave. Great little improv that works in most places (just double-check your harmonies). smile

B
B
I would love to sign up for this didn't see this till now. I know the deadline to signup is past but can I still submit? or is this like the DMV or IRS where the policies are strict? I kid

Looks like all the ones I can play have been taken. meaning that I can play half or quarter decently.

I can do Easy winners though not sure how good I can get it by March but can I just submit one not in there , Eugenia?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I had Country Club for a while but was too pressed to continue with it - I'm fairly sure that's still free....join the party!

B
B
Thanks but the only problem is coincidentally Country Club is my least favorite Joplin rag , no kidding. Not that I can play it well or anything, just can't stay focused on it long enough to make a decent practice towards learning it.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by briansaddleback
Thanks but the only problem is coincidentally Country Club is my least favorite Joplin rag , no kidding. Not that I can play it well or anything, just can't stay focused on it long enough to make a decent practice towards learning it.

Ah!, maybe you've just diagnosed the problem I had with it - not that I know many rags that I can discriminate but I was finding it hard to concentrate.

If you take a look through the thread and do a page by page text search to see if any that take your fancy remain untaken that should be quicker than reading everything. Or Whizbang will be along later to let you know.

I have the music to country club. Love it, but haven`t tried it yet. I`ll gi it a go tonight and grab it if everything goes ok . . . ! Not much time is there?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
I would love to sign up for this didn't see this till now. I know the deadline to signup is past but can I still submit? or is this like the DMV or IRS where the policies are strict? I kid

Looks like all the ones I can play have been taken. meaning that I can play half or quarter decently.

I can do Easy winners though not sure how good I can get it by March but can I just submit one not in there , Eugenia?

Of course, would love to hear "Eugenia"!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
B
B
Ok thank you. Please sign me up for Eugenia.

W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dire tonic

Ah!, maybe you've just diagnosed the problem I had with it - not that I know many rags that I can discriminate but I was finding it hard to concentrate.

If you take a look through the thread and do a page by page text search to see if any that take your fancy remain untaken that should be quicker than reading everything. Or Whizbang will be along later to let you know.

Sorry for the extensive quote... Selective quoting from mobile phone is a pain. Folks who wonder what rags are taken don't need to look through all the posts. I keep the signup sheet edited, and it's the second post in the full thread.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Aha! I just played my 8 measures of octaves using Derulux's hints as a guide and immediately noticed less tenseness smile they are certainly not up to speed, because doing them this way is still new, but I think it's going to be a big help! Woot!

Cathy

Cathy
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Great! I'm glad to hear it's working out! smile

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission