2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2230214 02/12/14 10:04 AM
T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi and Hello,

I hope somebody out there is able to help me.

The final decision in our family has been made, a digi piano from Kawai shall be joining our family setting soon. The CS 10 both look and soundwise clearly is the preferred option. Moneywise though I suppose that we have to settle for the CS 7 though.

Now - here is the question: With the CS 9 being on the market with a major discount reaching CS 7 price levels, would it make sense to go for this slightly older technology instead? After all, being the predecessor of the CS 10 it carries some of its current virtues inside already.

And the problem - finding a CS 9 in store for a try out is almost impossible.

thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd rather have a brand new CS9 than a CS7, as the technology advancements are pretty minor, but having a soundboard is a major step up in sound. However I'd be suspicious of anywhere offering a "new" CS9 since it hasn't been made for a couple of years and you have to wonder where it's been.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi,

OK that is a thought worth bearing in mind. I am situated in Germany and a local online retailer (among others) is offering a few of them (http://www.bauer-music.de/digital-pianos/kawai/kawai-cs9-2.html?gclid=CLP_05byxrwCFeKWtAodoDMANw). Possibly, probably left-overs? But then I wouldn't really know.

As far as the technology differences go it looks like the CS7 has the "new grand feel" keys, different sounds, probably also new sampled sounds when it comes the grand piano feel etc. So on paper there seems to be quite a difference to the CS9.

But in the same way I really noticed quite a difference between the CS7 and the CS10 in real terms.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The CS9 uses the previous generation action (RM3); however, the new action isn't necessarily better. The GF (new) is lighter; though in my opinion not better. The Soundboard system on the CS9, and the real upright cabinet place this instrument above (subjective) the CS7. The so-called new features on the CS7 are mostly gimmicky, and as far as the sound goes, the new samples are not that much better.

T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Pete14

thanks for this insights. This also sounds like - lets go for the CS9 :-)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Deciding between the CS7 and CS9 is a tough call, especially if they're at approximately the same price.

It really comes down to personal opinion - which instrument 'speaks' to you more.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi James,

what benefit do you personally see in the CS7 vs. the CS9? The latter one obviously has the soundboard approach, but then as I said already a different key technology and I suppose the sounds have been up-dated.

Thanks/ Thom

Thomba, the CS7 utilises the latest 'Grand Feel' keyboard action (longer keys, longer pivot, triple sensor), HI-XL sampling (longer samples), and the new DSP (better reverb, effects, virtual technician, etc.)

It's quite a significant upgrade, however the CS9 looks (and sounds) lovely.

Cheers,
James
x

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I played a CS7 today. Very impressive instrument - but way beyond my budget, unfortunately.

T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Kawai James,

thanks for not making my life any easier :-) The final, ultimate final question: Is there a current Kawai product on the market (CS9 is rare to find) that I can try out in order to assess if the CS9 downsides in terms of keyboard action, possibly even sounds (whereby the DSP aspect is less of importance to me) are being outweighed by its soundboard set-up?

Thanks for your support. Thom

Hmm...

The CA93 shares the same keyboard action, tone generator, and soundboard speaker as the CS9.

Would that help, perhaps?

James
x

T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi James,

yes, in sofar as I can look around if that is somewhere to find.

Thanks again, very, much, :-)

T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi,

just letting you all know, the decision has been made.

I finally managed to find somebody who actually owns a CS9. It felt really nice to play the keys, but in the end just not as nice as playing the CS10. I hope this is not just imagination but a really "felt" experience.

Also went back to the stores and tested the Yamaha NU1. Lovely, lookwise, nice keys to play with, I can really sense and feel the concept behind it. But again, it just didn't feel absolutely right for me.

Saying that, the CS10 was ordered and should arrive this week.

Thanks for all your help.

Thom

M
M
Today I had the opportunity to compare side by side a CS7, then a CA 65 and finally the CA 95. Unfortunately the store didnt have the CS10, but CA95 is closer.

First thing to say, what an amazing action in all of them with the GF. First to try was the CS7. Once seated in front, I was really surprised by the quality of the sound and how the amplification is made. Also the PE finish gives a simple perfect look, except from the zone where the speakers are, but the piano worths every penny. So it was my favorite until the sales person corrupted my mind.

He showed me the CA95, and I started to play, I really noticed the difference in terms of the sound and feeling due to the soundboard. It really gives an close idea of what an analog piano is. Side by side compaarison between CA65 and Ca95, key by key, and you feel the difference mostly in the bass keys.

The vibration given by the transducer transfers the dynamic to the entire piano, and you feel the vibration even in the keyboard (like an acoustic piano). Breaking the keyboard in 2, on your left you will feel in your fingers the vibration of the low frequencies. On the right side, until your hand fingers is able to, you will feel also the vibration, but smaller due to higher frequencies involved. the result is the big difference in feeling is on the lower keys, while from a little from the middle of the right half of keyboard, sound and feeling are the same in both pianos.

It is worth to mention that in terms of volume, both at the same level, the ca65 sounds louder, so I had to reduce the volume on it to make a fair comparison. Also the vibration from the soundboard is able to sustain longer the notes when pressed with the same pressure. In other words, the transducer and the soundboard make piano to be alive, like a real piano. The feeling in a real piano is on both the ears and the tact. In all the Dp's the feeling is only in the ears, and unless you put a higher volume, the vibration felt will be from the lower notes, BUT in the objects around the piano but not in the piano itself. With the soundboard you get a simulation of the dynamic of a real piano in the same piano, where it should be, not outside of it.

Both models have excellent sound, but if you have the budget to afford the difference and want a close to real sound and feeling, the soundboard is the way to go. I have tried also NU1, N1, N2 and N3, and while the action of those is analog, only the n2 and n3 will give a better action than any of the GF pianos. But all the yamahas will fail to transfer totally the dynamic of the sound of a piano because they lack of soundboard (simulating the vibration of the strings of a piano)

I'm really surprised of what Kawai did in this price range.

Hope this helps to other to get the right decision

Last edited by Motorsto; 02/18/14 02:13 PM.
E
E
Hello Motorsto
What do you call 'CF action' ?
do you mean 'GF action' for 'Grand FeelAction' ?
by the way, the CS7 does not have a GF action but a RM3 action
how do you compare these two actions ?

Other points: you are talking about NU1, NU2 and NU3
Did you mean NU1, N2 and N3 ?
or N1, N2, N3 ?
I know very well the N2/N3 action as well as the action in Kawai
and the avantgrand action is in a complete different league, even if I admit the CA95 is a really great DP
everything is a matter of taste..

Last edited by enzo.sandrolini; 02/18/14 08:56 AM.

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
Originally Posted by enzo.sandrolini
What do you call 'CF action' ?
do you mean 'GF action' for 'Grand FeelAction' ?
by the way, the CS7 does not have a GF action but a RM3 action...

I expect Motorsto is indeed referring to the 'GF' ('Grand Feel') action. This action is used in the CA95/CA65, CS10/CS7, and MP11.

The RM3 Grand action was used in the CA93/CA63/CA13, CS9/CS6, and MP10.

Kind regards,
James
x

E
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James

I expect Motorsto is indeed referring to the 'GF' ('Grand Feel') action. This action is used in the CA95/CA65, CS10/CS7, and MP11.

The RM3 Grand action was used in the CA93/CA63/CA13, CS9/CS6, and MP10.

Kind regards,
James
x

Oups, my mistake
you are right...
sorry, I have confused CS7 and CS6...

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
T
thomba Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi,

to add to the above. When it comes to keyboard action I have now learned and experienced that it all comes down to personal taste.

In the same was as not every "real" piano has the same feel and you must almost find the one "made for you" I have no gathered the same is true when it comes to DP.

To me the NU1 feels close to an upright piano feeling that I am used to. The Kawai comes closer to a piano feeling. And the latter one I have preferred. Again - this is my personal taste.

By the way adding to this: the Kawai also has a proper set of sounds on board. Of course, Roland tends to be better on that front; of course that is not why I actually bought it. But still at times - with possibly children playing around with it - they are kind of nice to have.

M
M
yes I was referring to the GF, and also the names of the yamaha's dp's but now the post is corrected. this has been an acronym mess. Still for me the expressed opinions are there.

and agree N2 and N3 have better actions but also they are twice or 3 times the price, and only managing the sound (whih is really good) but not with the dynamic involved on the production of the sound (string vibrations in a real piano, which for the soundboard models (ca95 and CS10) is simulated with transducer converting from digital to analog waves by making vibrate the soundboard)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Last edited by Motorsto; 02/18/14 01:46 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission