2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2233791 02/18/14 03:53 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W
My tech adjusted the dampers and when I now slowly release the dampers, some notes dampen earlier than others. Particularly, the middle area seems to dampen, then the bass, and then the treble. Is that ok (so I need to release quicker?) or should they start to dampen all exactly at the same point?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
That does not sound right to me.
I'm only a DIYer, but on my own and my daughter's uprights I try to make all notes damp at the same point of pedal release - it does take some time to regulate this.
Further more I have a "one time concert pianist" as a friend and he has told me that one can use partial damping for good effect. This means that all dampers would be only exerting a portion of their maximum pressure - thus the pianist would have the sustain only partially depressed.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The short answer is that correctly regulated dampers should all lift together when the sustaining pedal is used. Only when this is precisely done, can partial pedalling be achieved.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Some like the bass to lift early and some like the bass to dampen early. For the most part I would think the majority of technicians would like to see them lift simultaneously or there is the possibility of that whoosh sound when the pedal is used on soft passages.

There is also the advantage of having the front of the damper lift earlier that the rear.

M
Online Blank
M
What condition were the dampers in before the tech adjusted them ? If they were in quite bad shape he may have made a few adjustments to greatly improve them within the time allotted to him. A full damper regulation takes time and may not be the best idea on some lesser pianos or due to economic and time constraints.
Quite often a tuner alots 2 hours for tuning, if he gets done in 1hr40 he may decide on some small regulation adjustments to improve things
Having said that Ideally they should lift pretty much at the same time.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Wouter79
If it is important for you to have all dampers damp all of the strings at exactly the same time when you release the sustain pedal you need to tell your technician.
Whenever I regulate an action I will always do it this way unless someone specifically asks for different.
Ideally if they all lift simultaneous, they all damp simultaneous but not necessarily.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I am assuming you have a grand piano.

If your key end felts are worn-the damper lift with the pedal can be even-but the key lift timing will be later on the keys with more worn felt. Most pianist would want the pedal lift to be a priority over key lift timing. Installing new key felts is not a big ticket item. Most techs would need the action to go to their shop-so there is down time.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
W
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks !

Yes this is a grand piano (Grotrian 189)

I'm pretty sure the felt is not worn. They all had been replaced when I bought the piano about 5 years ago

He found a piece of felt was missing in the damper mechanism. Inserting a piece changed the overall damper setting. The overall lever could not be adjusted so he fixed all individual dampers instead.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Sounds like the person who did the work needs to read this.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Grotrians usually have the type of damper under-lever that has a bendable metal spoon that engages the key-end felt. These can be adjusted individually for damper-lift-timing-by-the-key adjustments.

Regulating dampers requires the proper tools and jigs to get everything even and precise. Not all technicians are good at it because they get little practice at it.

Talk to your technician about your concerns. Give him/her the chance to get it right for you unless you have lost confidence in them.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
W
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks for all the feedback. The tech is coming tomorrow to fix this. He said it was like this before. I don't really think so :-/

W
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W
He fixed it, no extra charge smile

Yes he showed me the levers, it's basically just turning the knobs there.

Actually it still took him quite some time to get it all right. Apparently it's all very sensitive to get 100% I wonder how much time it would cost without those levers, it's hard to imagine how you would stuggle if these were plain rod-through-hole things as apparently are on most pianos.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission