2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2234229 02/19/14 01:59 PM
A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
What are some themes that are most dear to you? What themes do you find most beautiful, touching, and sweet? What themes are so touching for you, that they keep you rapt in awe when you hear them? Maybe the context in which you heard them for the first time made them very special for you.

My votes go toward:
- Theme from Beethoven's Waldstein 3rd mov
- Opening theme from Mozart's K331 1st mov
- Chopin Etude Op 25 no 1
- The sempre rubato; dolce con grazia section appearing about 1/4 through Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no 12
- And of course Chopin Etude Op 10 no 3, when played over zealously under-tempo laugh

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are many, but the one that stands out for me is Schubert late A-major sonata last movement main theme.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
What are some themes that are most dear to you? What themes do you find most beautiful, touching, and sweet?

Which question are you asking?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
What are some themes that are most dear to you? What themes do you find most beautiful, touching, and sweet?

+1

They are not the same thing.

A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Both.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Which one did you answer?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No individual theme is close to me. Entire works are.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, much of the greatness of a theme is dependent on the greatness of its development.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Which one did you answer?

For me, the themes that are most dear to me are the same themes that I find most touching; so I suppose I answered both since they yield the same set of themes (maybe the former question has one or two more legs up on the latter though).

Last edited by Atrys; 02/19/14 02:56 PM.

R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
They are definitely different questions. Look at the Arietta of the Beethoven 111 sonata. "Sweet" and "pretty" are not the first words that come to mind. Yet who can deny its greatness?

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by beet31425
There are many, but the one that stands out for me is Schubert late A-major sonata last movement main theme.

I'd rather credit the piece Schubert stole it from, Beethoven's Opus 26 sonata. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not sure if it classifies as a 'theme', but my favorite is the Cadenza from the 1st movement of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 3. Oh, how i wish that i had the technical abilities to play it...

Last edited by Svenno; 02/19/14 03:01 PM.
A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
They are definitely different questions.

beet31425 and svenno didn't have any problem interpreting the questions. You're overthinking it. Anyone is free to answer as they wish without degenerating this into a nit picking debate.

Last edited by Atrys; 02/19/14 03:01 PM.

R. W. Emerson
A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Svenno
I'm not sure if it classifies as a 'theme', but my favorite is the Cadenza from the 1st movement of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 3.

Sure! I suppose I'm not just asking for "themes", but any sequence of tones in general laugh

Also +1 for that cadenza.

R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
They are definitely different questions.

beet31425 and svenno didn't have any problem interpreting the questions. You're overthinking it. Anyone is free to answer as they wish without degenerating this into a nit picking debate.

I don't see it as nitpicking. To my mind, the questions are very distinct and it does not make sense to pretend that every great theme or work is "pretty."

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm not sure if it classifies as a 'theme', but my favorite is the Cadenza from the 1st movement of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 3.

Sure! I suppose I'm not just asking for "themes", but any sequence of tones in general laugh

Which part of the cadenza? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
Atrys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

To my mind, the questions are very distinct and it does not make sense to pretend that every great theme or work is "pretty."

That's fine...I'm not trying to impose some kind of interpretation of the questions on you...

R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

That's right. What is the "Ode to Joy" theme without the rest of the movement, or indeed the symphony? What is the Diabelli theme without the variations? It takes a master composer to extract every ounce of potential and more, even from a banal theme.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Which part of the cadenza? grin

The whole cadenza, for me, is probably the most beautiful and epic theme i've ever heard. But i especially love the part where it all leads up to - the 'a tempo' section with the 'fff' chords. Simply amazing, so powerful.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

That's right. What is the "Ode to Joy" theme without the rest of the movement, or indeed the symphony? What is the Diabelli theme without the variations? It takes a master composer to extract every ounce of potential and more, even from a banal theme.

Agreed. I wouldn't say that the end of Chopin Op. 62/1 is wonderful by itself. It's merely pretty. But when placed at the end of everything that came before it, it is one of the most profound things ever written.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission