2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 241 of 540 1 2 239 240 241 242 243 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Sam, that sounds like a wonderful moment - both for you and the lady who was listening to you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sand Tiger, sounds like you continue on your journey with consistency and achievements. I'm sure that you'll find a good title for your new piece - and as for the singing...well, one step at a time eh?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC -Congratulations on you performance in the first round! It sounds like you really impressed them. Good luck in the final round!

Sam Rose - What a sweet experience! You must have really communicated with that lady with your playing!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Greetings PW friends. Hope the face is healing Earlofmar...not fun but glad you got the antibiotics. Casinitaly I'm so glad you reached that spiritual "high" of the free and relaxed moment in playing...it inspires for a long time. FarmGirl I'm so impressed that you find a piano to play when you're out of town (very cool) and that you're safely home. CarlosCC what an experience for THEM to hear you play and share your love of the piano.

I'm at the bottom of the mountain learning some new pieces. It's always a particular challenge to be moving on to new music. This morning though I think I'll just go play pieces I've played before...who knows there could be that relaxed moment.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sam Rose - Wow, that's amazing. I've received some compliments, but never a hug!

Sand Tiger - Looking forward to hear your composition!

FarmGirl - Thank you, but, sincerely, I think it's a bit exaggerated to apply words like "star"...

earlofmar and SwissMS- Thanks. It was a good moment, yes.

WiseBuff - Hahaha, good point. I never thought about the experience that THEY had hearing me play. Thanks and enjoy your new piece.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC - You have a great attitude to go along with talent and dedication. Whether you advance in the competition or not, you are already a winner in my mind. thumb

Farmgirl- Welcome back traveler. You are the poster-girl of piano dedication. McDowell's Wild Rose will be sight reading fodder for you. smile

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
... Casinitaly I'm so glad you reached that spiritual "high" of the free and relaxed moment in playing...it inspires for a long time. ... CarlosCC what an experience for THEM to hear you play and share your love of the piano.
... This morning though I think I'll just go play pieces I've played before...who knows there could be that relaxed moment.

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Sam Rose - What a sweet experience! You must have really communicated with that lady with your playing!

Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that. They might not even realize it! Even the example of mine in my lesson last week. I don't have diddily of technical expertise. I ain't no great player. I just took one hand of only 6 bars that wasn't complicated. I played music. I applied what is implied and not written there. It comes from the heart.

All of these examples shows you people know what I'm talking about. You can obtain this mental state. It isn't about any kind of religious mysticism or anything like that. It's about doing away with the false things we use psychologically to make us feel good. Make us feel falsely adequate. Those psychological things also try to stop us in trying to make us depressed when we do away with them. Society is always trying to train us to keep this false state of mind. They are destroying. When, we need to live in our hearts to play really really well.

Good on everybody for experiences, accomplishments, that have shown this recently. Keep at it. It isn't a mistake. It isn't something to stumble upon.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by rnaple
Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that.

Well... they can find it difficult to hear your feelings UNTIL you're hitting the vast majority of keys in the right order! An odd wrong one played with conviction doesn't hurt the audience nearly as much as it does you. But fluff too many, nice people will make encouraging noises but YOU know they're worthless. Sorry, but it's the truth.

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
...Well... Sorry, but it's the truth.

Oh Wombat... More dog chasing his tail mentality? Why do you have to take a discussion that is taking something as a given already. A statement that is trying to build on higher learning. Pointing out the obvious. And bringing it down to where you try to appear as if you're informing me of something new? Ain't nothing new to that. You didn't say anything constructive there.
Yes, you might find it surprising how easy it is to hit all the right keys at the right time when you apply your heart.

To be constructive. I view written music much like the Japanese language versus the English language. In Japanese, you are expected to insert. Example: English....John went to the store. Japanese...John went store. A Japanese person would look at you humbly and say you're expected to insert the: "to the". I view the writing of music much the same way. There isn't enough room on the page to try to include everything. You must apply your heart to make it music.
I also view music versus english in that all the little details we include in the english language. We still fail to communicate comprehension too often. To try to write music like that might just be micro managing and confusing. When either you got the heart or you don't.
If anyone doubts me on the Japanese. You are invited to go to the DP forum and ask Kawai James. He is a translator. In fact. He could explain better than I can.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by rnaple
Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that.

Well... they can find it difficult to hear your feelings UNTIL you're hitting the vast majority of keys in the right order! An odd wrong one played with conviction doesn't hurt the audience nearly as much as it does you. But fluff too many, nice people will make encouraging noises but YOU know they're worthless. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Well, the stories indicate that they must be getting it right, So all's well.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll.....Hope your teacher choses something you want.

Oh me2, I guess I'll find out Tuesday. It's gloomy and raining here again BOOOOOO! frown Now I have to stay in all day and play piano `til I'm tired of it. wink

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I survived my NY trip! Yay! I'm on my way back home. My piano, puppies and hubby are waiting for me:) I have a week until my next trip to UK. Ok now I have to turn it off. Flying soon.

Glad you're home safe FarmGirl. If your pups are anything like mine, I imagine they greeted you as if you were gone for 6 months heh heh. Hopefully hubby as well grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - glad your teacher is working with you now. There is so much material available, it is great she is opening up to new stuff!

Yes she gets aggravated at my stubbornness at times and I to hers but I'm glad we have come to a resolution as I value her as my teacher despite being ready to look for another a few months ago. She has few adult students and I've always been a tough horse to ride in all things I deem worthy of my effort. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ATOW this week was just to get through it and still keep practicing piano. Week before last I bumped my head and didn't notice I had broken the skin (it was in my eyebrow) which became infected and started to worry me.

OUCH! get well soon. Do you look extremely debonair with just one eyebrow? (assuming they shaved it to clean/stitch you up) whome

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Carlos, that so great for you, Best of luck in getting to the finals. wow

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
E
E
totally not piano related. my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby. i'm just so excited and couldn't be any happier. coincidentally, my piano teacher is also pregnant and is only a month ahead of me. i guess we will be on maternity leave from piano for about the same time.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Elle, that was most convenient! Are you sure there wasn`t an element of "unfamily planning" involved here?

My achievement of the week is . . . .managing to hack out Grieg 47-6 almost to speed. . . . one or two (slight understatement) notes were deliberately dropped to enable this . . .(Gallic Shrug) but Hey! It worked!

Last edited by peterws; 06/17/13 01:03 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
ElleC -- well, congratulations! That is wonderfully exciting! I'm happy for you! When is the baby due?

Peter - I'm listening to a recording of your piece now "Leaping Dance" -- wow -- That's a dynamic piece (and I watched part of the video too - your hands really do have to leap about the keyboard, don't they!)
Good for you!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
ElleC - congratulations! That's better than almost anything in the world.

My AToW is definately finding a piano in Brighton UK. I received a really kind email from the hotel. I post a copy of the Email in my thread. I'm elated. Happy.

B
B
Managed to play Mikrokosmos - Counterpoint and Imitation.

A small achievement but an achievement none the less. Took days to get it right.

E
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly
ElleC -- well, congratulations! That is wonderfully exciting! I'm happy for you! When is the baby due?

Thank you Peter, Casinitaly and Farmgirl! I'm this excited just finding out, can't imagine what kind of excitement i'd feel when he/she arrives =) speaking of arrival, if all goes well...i'm due on valentine's day next year.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
Page 241 of 540 1 2 239 240 241 242 243 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission