2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 283 of 540 1 2 281 282 283 284 285 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats, Malkin. I'm sure you are going to get used to the Estonia very quickly....before too long you won't be able to even imagine playing on another instrument.

Is it a new 168 or "seasoned"? We want PICs!!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers … Malkin has a new piano … Carlos is going to be a TV star … adultpianist is making great progress with exam pieces … That’s why I love this thread: all sorts of exciting news. I don’t post here a lot but I do try to stop by every so often. It’s always good for a pick-me-up.

Today, I’ll join in with some good news: Yesterday, I surprised my teacher in the nicest possible way with the progress I’m making on Chopin’s Waltz in A Minor (posthumous)!

At our last lesson, two weeks ago, I’d told my teacher I wanted to play the waltz for her holiday “piano party” in December, and we both knew it would require a LOT of work. Considering my very inconsistent practice habits, the idea was a bit reckless – but, as I told my teacher, sometimes the best thing for me is a big challenge and a hard deadline. I was able to work up near all of the right hand for her yesterday. Not perfectly, of course – but we were both pretty darned thrilled with how much I’ve achieved so far. We spent the rest of the lesson sorting out few timing issues on the RH and then worked on the LH and discussed practicing, performance, etc.

FYI, the party will be a small affair as my teacher is semi-retired and teaches only a handful of students. She hosts a couple of lunches a year, and it’s about as low-pressure as any “public” performance can be.

Last edited by piano_deb; 11/20/13 02:13 PM.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano_deb
...At our last lesson, two weeks ago, I’d told my teacher I wanted to play the waltz for her holiday “piano party” in December, and we both knew it would require a LOT of work. Considering my very inconsistent practice habits, the idea was a bit reckless – but, as I told my teacher, sometimes the best thing for me is a big challenge and a hard deadline. I was able to work up near all of the right hand for her yesterday. Not perfectly, of course – but we were both pretty darned thrilled with how much I’ve achieved so far. We spent the rest of the lesson sorting out few timing issues on the RH and then worked on the LH and discussed practicing, performance, etc.

FYI, the party will be a small affair as my teacher is semi-retired and teaches only a handful of students. She hosts a couple of lunches a year, and it’s about as low-pressure as any “public” performance can be.

Congratulations on your progress with the Waltz. It is such a lovely piece. Piano parties are a great way to debut playing for others. I started piano parties for my teacher last year, and they have been a wonderful experience. The low key setting makes it a whole lot less intimidating that a formal recital. You meet other piano enthusiast and everyone is supportive. Like this forum!!

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday, piano_deb! Great news on your waltz.

I'm just the cheering section for the odd accomplishment here and there these days... I've got a lot of life to juggle these days and lack much of time or energy for accomplishments. But I can still say "Yay!" for my friends here.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I missed the birthday cake! Happy Birthday, indeed piano_deb!

E
E
happy birthday piano_deb! and also congrats on your progress with the waltz...I'm currently working on the same piece. I'm hoping to get it to a decent level by December as well although I don't have the pressure of getting it "performance" ready by then. Good luck with practice and pls post your version on the piano bar when it's ready. Looking forward to hearing your interpretation.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SwissMS and tangleweeds, thanks very much for the support and birthday wishes! My lesson yesterday was quite a nice gift to myself, I suppose. smile

ElleC, the great thing about piano parties is that a piece doesn't to be performance-ready, only "the thing I'm working on now." My teacher and I discussed a great many aspects yesterday, and I know that I won't be pedaling (hip problems and general lead-footedness), plus I'm only aiming for a tempo somewhere north of 50 bpm. While I have a ways to go, I will continue to prepare hard and do my best. I love the piece so much that I do intend to continue working on it well beyond December. It's the first piece I've worked on that I want to absolutely polish, and memorize, and make mine forever. smile

I want to hear yours also, so please post it when ready!

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
happy birthday piano_deb!!!! thumb
And congratulations for your achievement with the waltz, and enjoy your party!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers …

And the first went off into a ditch festooned with red flags the first 15 minutes. The guy was/is a real arrogant A$$hat. I'm surprised he can play piano what with those chip laden shoulders, to say nothing of teaching someone else. Not a chance!

Next one set for Saturday morning. smile

HAPPY BIRTHDAY piano_deb

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Half a kitchen, full grand piano - what more could you need?

So true!
Thanks everyone for the grand wishes.
I do love to read all the accomplishments too! And birthdays! I'm planning on birthday mileage for the rest of my life with this piano!

As we slowly put the house back together, it is interesting to hear how every change affects the sound of the piano. Moving a chair here or there or hanging a couple pictures on the wall make a noticeable difference. The room is still quite acoustically live; it is half empty as much of our stuff is in the basement, the door to which is blocked by the refrigerator, which won't be moved until the kitchen floor is finished, which won't happen until the tile arrives, which won't happen until whenever it happens. But who can complain when there is such a piano in the house?!

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers …

And the first went off into a ditch festooned with red flags the first 15 minutes. The guy was/is a real arrogant A$$hat. I'm surprised he can play piano what with those chip laden shoulders, to say nothing of teaching someone else. Not a chance!

Next one set for Saturday morning. smile
Oh no. But I laughed at your description. Better to know now, rather finding out after you sign up with him. Better luck with the next interview.

And happy birthday to piano_deb!

malkin - sounds like things are a mess in the house, but you're keeping a good attitude about it all.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll--I found looking for a teacher to be surprisingly awful and it took me the better part of a year!
I took a few lessons from a guy who was fine, but not a good fit for me. Several people didn't return calls, and a couple others stated that they had a waiting list, but didn't offer to put me on it (I can take a hint!)

All's well that ends well though, so hang in there with the teacher auditions and you'll end up with the right one for you.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, my! More happy birthday wishes from Carlos and Ragdoll ... and a yummy looking cake. Thanks, JimF! That was a total surprise. smile

----

Oops, missed some posts ... Ragdoll, at least that teacher showed his true colors fast. Good luck on the next.

Malkin, MaryBee, thanks for the well wishes. And Malkin be sure to post photos of your Estonia (wow!) soon.

That's the thing about this thread. It's hard to keep up with all the news and updates. But very fun when I get to.

Last edited by piano_deb; 11/21/13 01:38 AM.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Malkin - congrats on the new piano and I hope the kitchen work gets wrapped up soon! (But at least you have a lovely distraction from the chaos). Looking forward to seeing pics!

Piano-deb - belated happy birthday - hope your day was great! I love that Waltz! I've been puttering about with it on my own for a while and hope to be able to play it sometime this coming year. Even at my wobbly stage it makes me happy to play that piece.
Have fun at the piano party!

Ragdoll - yikes! That doesn't sound like a nice experience at all. At least you found out right away and didn't have to waste time with him. Better luck with the next try!

My ATOW is that I can really see how much better I'm playing with my teacher this year. I can feel a new level of being in control, being able to recover while being watched. I have also pulled out the Christmas carols and it is really nice to see how much easier they are to play than last year. This is the third year I've had the book and it has been a bit of a benchmark from the start.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by malkin
Ragdoll--I found looking for a teacher to be surprisingly awful and it took me the better part of a year!
I took a few lessons from a guy who was fine, but not a good fit for me. Several people didn't return calls, and a couple others stated that they had a waiting list, but didn't offer to put me on it (I can take a hint!)

You found the perfect teacher eventually though?

Don't be too hard on the ones with a waiting list. It's GOOD that they have a full schedule, and don't anticipate many of their current students leaving in the near future. Would you prefer one who said "You're #10 on the waiting list, that should mean 3 or 4 weeks..."?

But is it possible that you came across as fussy, knowing EXACTLY how you were prepared to be taught..? :-)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher is wonderful!

Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
But is it possible that you came across as fussy, knowing EXACTLY how you were prepared to be taught..? :-)

More likely that I came across as an adult student with a random mishmash of piano background. Hardly ideal fodder, I gather.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Thanks MaryBee. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

@malkin Well I hope it doesn't take that long but I do know what I need/want in a teacher so whatever it takes. grin
Ragdoll - yikes! That doesn't sound like a nice experience at all. At least you found out right away and didn't have to waste time with him. Better luck with the next try!

@cas Exactly I knew almost immediately. I've also received another potential candidate from my tech, so things are looking OK.

@EW to malkin wink You say that like it's a bad thing. It's only right to get what you pay for; if a person knows what they want then why settle for less?

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll

@EW to malkin wink You say that like it's a bad thing. It's only right to get what you pay for; if a person knows what they want then why settle for less?

Indeed.
I don't presume to tell my teacher what to teach me -but the "how" of teaching is certainly an important factor.

Sometimes a teacher's choice of method teaching doesn't match a student's method of learning. A good teacher will adapt to work with the student and approach the subject from different angles (in fact teachers are TAUGHT how to do just that). The thing is that many teachers get locked into their pattern and won't look at any divergence from their "norm" or "standard" regardless of how well it is (or isn't) working for the student.

I stopped working with an Italian teacher because her approach was completely unsuited to my learning style and she drove me crazy! She may have been a great teacher - but not for me!

Fortunately I haven't had this sort of problem with my piano teachers!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, several people here at the ABF have made me laugh this week, some in this thread and some in others. The ABF is great smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 283 of 540 1 2 281 282 283 284 285 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission