2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 310 of 540 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 539 540
Hey, does persuading your siblings to consider staying at a friends place during half-term, as opposed to having them staying at home all the time classed as an achievement? rather difficult to practice with so many in the house at once, especially when the bed has to come out in the room with my synth frown

I don't really have an A.O.T.W right now, but given that I now have a rather peaceful timeslot, I plan to sort out my practice schedule and get things running smoother. if all goes well I should have something to post about laugh (that is if they don't come back in the next couple of days).

Last edited by UKIkarus; 02/20/14 05:35 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've a few achievements to report this week, which feels great!
Firstly, I managed to record a piece and submit it to the quarterly ABF recital. I wasn't entirely happy with my performance, a few flubs and a couple of unscripted hesitations, but overall it was great to do it.
Secondly, I had the sense/discipline to properly structure my practice on the Bach Invention #8 - all the obvious things: lots of HS practice, work small sections then connect them, slow HT practice. Still a way to go on this, I'm finding it harder to bring together than I had anticipated, but the structured approach is delivering very tangible results.
Thirdly, I dusted off Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca which I was working on before Christmas and it's coming back pretty quickly. I'm not back to the level I was when I parked it but progress is good and I'm feeling enthusiastic about it again.

Cas, so nice to read that you had a lovely, anxiety free session!
Great reading everyone's achievements, but time to go and do some real work here!

[Linked Image]
B
B
Excited Im working on new material , including a couple of Bach inventions (first time to touch Bach thought it should be good for me although somewhat boring) but my concern is other pieces I thought I have sort of polished up are now back to fat-fingered and loss of technique play, since I have been concentrating on new material. Feels horrible.

How do you performers out there keep your whole repertoire polished and at your fingertips to play? Just trying to juggle 5 or six 'polished' pieces is like spinning plates to me.

Is it just continual practice and years of dedication and experience which allows one to keep a whole 30 or more pieces in repertoire at all times?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by briansaddleback
How do you performers out there keep your whole repertoire polished and at your fingertips to play? ...
Is it just continual practice and years of dedication and experience which allows one to keep a whole 30 or more pieces in repertoire at all times?

I do refresh them before a gig.

But the real trick, for me, is understanding them, and hearing them in my head. If I know the chord progressions and understand what they're doing then the piece "makes sense" and isn't just in memory. If I can hear it when I'm not playing, then when I'm at a gig I can just play along laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My achievement this week is getting a decent recording of Joplin's Chrsyanthemem. It has one major blooper, but at least no crash and burn. That puts me the the "now let's see what we can really do" mode, so I can relax and just try to play with feeling and record. It gives me hope I can get a good recording by the deadline! The section that has been giving fits flowed smoothly today for the first time. I guess I grew some new neurones overnight.

W
W
Hi,

Not sure one can really call it an achievement.. But this week I was able to play a real Steinway grand at the music academy where I take my lessons. A very enjoyable instrument to play.

Wouter.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Sorry all...I'm still reading notes from early February.

Silverkeys: congratulations on your new MH...she will be a friend for life.

Casinitaly: so sorry that your musical mind is being stressed by a person not wanting to share the air space. Apt. living certainly must mean compromise for her as well as you. Best of luck...sound like your playing is advancing admirably

SwissMS Happy Birthday (late). Mine was Feb 11. Such fun to celebrate.

Jotur: I can't imagine you playing slow...you just think with a lively beat

Farmgirl: I'm so impressed that you and your husband and playing instruments together. how fun.

I've been working hard on a Beethoven sonata movement (14/1) and of course it has consumed a lot of energy. We had our piano party Monday night and all of us played a Beethoven. Mine went pretty well...never perfect but I'm proud of my music. It is a great group and we cheer each other on.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Swiss MS. Sending you good energy for your Level 4 exam. I jumped in at Level 5 last year and found the exam more intimidating than I imagined ...after all I'm a big girl and have passed many life challenges. BUT my hands got shaky and I flubbed some scales and moments in my music. Still...I passed although I'd have loved a higher score. I don't NEED exams but wanted to do it as a milestone of some kind. I know you'll do great. I think if I'd do another one, I'd play the pieces and scales in front of as many groups as possible.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Swiss MS. Sending you good energy for your Level 4 exam. I jumped in at Level 5 last year and found the exam more intimidating than I imagined ...after all I'm a big girl and have passed many life challenges. BUT my hands got shaky and I flubbed some scales and moments in my music. Still...I passed although I'd have loved a higher score. I don't NEED exams but wanted to do it as a milestone of some kind. I know you'll do great. I think if I'd do another one, I'd play the pieces and scales in front of as many groups as possible.

Thanks WiseBuff! I think the grade 4 ABRSM is similar to the grade 5 RCM, since ABRSM only has 8 levels. I am also doing this as milestones, and to make sure that I do not have any holes in my foundation work. I am not to worried about the pieces (listed in my signature) but the sight reading is more challenging than I expected, and the aural will take a bit of work. They also added sight singing this year. I am less than thrilled about that! ABRSM does not give many choices on pieces, but fortunately I really like all three that I will be playing.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
SwissMS grade 4? I would have guessed a higher exam level for you after listening to your recordings. Perhaps I am underestimating the difficulty of exams, and you did mention the two different exam systems (one tops at 8, the other at 10). I'm sure you will prepare well and do fine on the exam.

Week 102: a quiet week. I continue to work on my Pancake song for the Berklee Coursera. The assignments are more derivative in nature and take less time (counting beats, highlighting stressed syllables). I am not sure how the song will come together. I am not looking forward to the weeks when voice recordings are mandatory.

I have music. I have lyrics. Both are in the sort of category, perhaps hoping for a genie (aka producer, if this were a commercial project) to bring it together in a good way. I am not much of a singer, and cobbling together a recording with voice can be a time intensive project. I can reassure myself that half of those taking the course have never written a song before. Many have never recorded their singing. Many don't have even basic equipment. For most, it will be a stretch of the comfort zone.

I talked to someone that I haven't seen in a while. I mentioned my adventures on piano. He said "I always wanted to learn to play piano." I told him about this forum, and that it is never too late even though he is well into his 80s. He used to ride bicycle quite a lot, but can no longer do that because of balance issues.

I encouraged him to try piano. I sent him an email detailing the two units I started with (Yamaha NP11 and Casio PX150), the likely cost of private lessons in his area, other possibilities for group lessons or self-teaching if the cost is prohibitive. We'll see.

In the other column, a neighbor recently gave away her digital piano. She didn't want to do Craigslist to sell it, and eventually decided just to donate it to a local church. Piano was much more difficult than she imagined. Again, giving up after a year or two years is average. So congrats to all that continue on their journey.

I often get discouraged by my limitations, my slow pace of learning, my difficulties with skills that many others learn in 1/4 the time or even quicker. And then there are times when I play and I get lost in the music.

It may be a small thing to some, but to write original music, to create, to perform live, these are magical things. Yes, for me progress feels inch worm in nature. However, many have never done, never will do, never believe they can do. So I can look at what talents and blessings I have, instead of the many limitations and difficulties.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
SwissMS grade 4? I would have guessed a higher exam level for you after listening to your recordings.

Thanks Sand Tiger. Grade 4 is probably conservative, but I wanted to start at a level that I could be very confident about doing well. The pieces and technical exercises are easy enough, but the sight reading and aural testing are more challenging than I had expected. One of the reasons I want to do exams was to be a well rounded musician. In December I will take grade 5, and then 6 next year. Grade 6 is probably where I play now, but I do not have the technical capability (scales in thirds??) to try that level yet. So this exam is to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
UKIkarus - hope your siblings leave you in peace! smile

Barbaram, getting your piece into the recital is an accomplishment! That red-dot syndrome can really do a number on our heads. Sounds like you're making great progress with your other pieces too!

Briansaddleback - Bach Inventions! wow.....Those are on my "yes, someday" list smile. I know what you mean about older pieces sounding awful now that you're not focusing on them. Be patient - stay with the new stuff and then be selective about which of the old stuff you want to keep. As you improve you'll be really (pleasantly) surprised at how quickly you can get them back under control.

Jotur/Cathy - I understand what you are talking about , and I've seen it in action with friends improvising (I even managed to take part a little...once...in the key of C smile ) But I find it hard to do. I think that being able to do it as well as you are doing really demonstrates the years of work you've put into your music and is an inspiration to those of us not as far along on the musical journey!

SwissMs - Glad you got a recording of Joplin's Chrysanthemum that you feel is decent - The themed recital is launching next month, right? That is going to be so much fun to listen to!

Wouter- playing a Steinway.... well, that must have been a joy! woohoo!

Wisebuff and SwissMS- I applaud you for your determination on the exams. That's something that I really wouldn't want to do for myself, though I do understand the motivation and appeal it holds for others. I feel it would just be an element of stress that would take away from the pleasure of playing - - to each her own! smile

SandTiger: If I may be permitted to cut and paste some quotes from your post..?

Originally Posted by Sandtiger
.....giving up after a year or two years is average. So congrats to all that continue on their journey.

I often get discouraged by my limitations, my slow pace of learning, my difficulties with skills that many others learn in 1/4 the time or even quicker. And then there are times when I play and I get lost in the music.

It may be a small thing to some, but to write original music, to create, to perform live, these are magical things. Yes, for me progress feels inch worm in nature. However, many have never done, never will do, never believe they can do. So I can look at what talents and blessings I have, instead of the many limitations and difficulties.

A wonderful perspective - and something we really need to keep in mind on those days when we're feeling frustrated.

My ATOW ..well, having talked to my teacher I feel refreshed in spirit and things have gone really well this week. I made progress on 2 little Gurlitt compositions, a Handel Gavotte and Variations, refreshing a few older pieces, and ......working on the primo part of a Diabelli duet I'm going to play with a very special friend smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
Not really an achievement but I've been looking for a used secondary piano for silent practice for a few days now. Specifically a Yamaha P85 since I did not want to spend more than 350 Euros on it but still have a decent key action. Just for fun I included the much pricier P155 and Roland FP-4 in my search.

To my astonishment, I found someone selling a P155 for 200 Euros (270 USD). I was skeptical of course but at that price I was ready to make the 3.5 hours trip. I asked the seller at least 3 times whether the price is correct. There must be a catch, right? Well, turns out that there wasn't and I'm now the proud owner of a Yamaha P155 in very good condition. The seller got it as a gift so maybe he simply didn't want to make money off it.

Since he lived near the coast of Normandy I stayed nearby for the weekend and visited the thermal baths with my girlfriend. A pianocentric, relaxing weekend was exactly what I needed, without knowing it. Now I'm ready to attack the Tchaikovsky themed recital...

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
W
W
Hi,

Tomorrow will be my first recital or whtever one wants to call it when you have to play for an audience. I have to play the sixth piece from Béla bartòk's First term at the piano. Although it's asimple piece and takes less than a minute to play i'm still quite nervous about it. I know I can do it and I master it well enough. But still..

I hope I can really call it an achievement tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Wouter.

M
M
Originally Posted by Wouter D'hoye

Wish me luck!

I wish you all the best for the recital. I cannot give any tips since I've rarely played in front of an audience. The only thing I know is that you should not forget to breathe during the performance.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wouter...I'm wishing you just the perfect amount of anxiety to perform beautifully. Your audience will love it.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck on your first recital Wouter. It IS an achievement, no matter how well you actually perform. Well done thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Mr. Pozor -congrats on your great find! Have lots of fun with it.

Wouter--- best wishes for your recital !

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry... Long time since I've been here...
Lots of achievements... I love to read all the news and stories.

Wouter - Can I give you an advice? The most important thing is: "HAVE FUN and ENJOY your playing". Do not get stressed with the audience; focus on you, and try to take out the best sound of the piano; listen each note as if you were playing for your own enjoyment; let the sound flow inside your head; feel the vibration of the chords. In fewer words: play FOR YOU. At least, this work for me smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Woter
A little bit of shakey fingers are good thing for performance. Also many people get shakey fingers and play through it.

Ask three questions to yourself
"Do I know those people?"
"Do they care if you do well or not?"
"Do you really care about them (your audience) after the recital?"
Answers to the above usually no.
Just enjoy playing for your captive audience.

Page 310 of 540 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission