Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2235761 - 02/22/14 12:29 AM Question for the Rebuilders.....
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

The owner of a M&H that I'm looking at claims this partial rebuild was done for about $8000:

" Piano has had the Soundboard refinished, refinished plate, replaced felt and buffing hardware. Replace strings, replace pinstock, replace tuning pins, replace dampers, replace hammers replaced keytops, check action. Replace caster wheels. Finished November 2005. RESTORED BY RENNER PIANO Service in Houston Texas."

I believe "pinstock" was meant to be "pinblock".

The piano looks and plays like a new one, except for the
cracked, original soundboard.

Does $8000 seem like a correct figure for this amount of work?

Thanks in advance.....

Edited by Paul678 (02/22/14 12:32 AM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2235765 - 02/22/14 12:36 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Seems about right.

#2235778 - 02/22/14 01:53 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: BDB]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
Seems about right.

Ok, thanks.

The owner is asking $4,500. So for certain he's
going to take a loss on this one. He already
rejected my offer of $4,000 so he's just trying
to get what he can.

The cracked soundboard doesn't seem to affect the tone,
which was great when I tried the piano, but I will try
it once more to make sure I wasn't imagining things....

#2235835 - 02/22/14 07:04 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Jon Page Offline

Loc: Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massac...
You're asking the wrong people. Contact a qualified tech in the area and have them evaluate the piano.

Edited by Jon Page (02/22/14 07:05 AM)

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com

#2235847 - 02/22/14 08:08 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
I'd take that job for $8k

#2235903 - 02/22/14 10:49 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Jon Page]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Jon Page
You're asking the wrong people. Contact a qualified tech in the area and have them evaluate the piano.

+1

#2235929 - 02/22/14 11:33 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Jon Page]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Jon Page

That would be the case if he were asking about doing the job, but he is not. He is inquiring about a job done years ago.

#2235950 - 02/22/14 12:19 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Unless it's a top-tier grand, anyone will lose money selling a piano they had rebuilt. IMO, that shouldn't matter, because a piano is not a financial instrument. I really wish we would stop looking at them that way.

Monetary return on investment and musical appreciation are not relevant to each other.

#2235952 - 02/22/14 12:23 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: BDB]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

The job was done back in 2005.

I just wanted to know if the figure he gave me for the work was
realistic. I've looked at the piano, and it looks like
everything he stated was indeed done.

But I will likely have a tech look at the piano anyways.

If about $8,000 was really what he paid for the partial re-build, then it's truly a buyer's market at the moment, and he's going to lose quite a bit on this deal.

I should buy this piano really.....

Thanks.

#2235956 - 02/22/14 12:33 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Paul678

realistic.

Yeah. That sounds about right.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2235959 - 02/22/14 12:35 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: OperaTenor]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
Unless it's a top-tier grand, anyone will lose money selling a piano they had rebuilt. IMO, that shouldn't matter, because a piano is not a financial instrument. I really wish we would stop looking at them that way.

Monetary return on investment and musical appreciation are not relevant to each other.

You're right, Jim. I shouldn't always think
about things in terms of money, but that's very
easy to do.

If a piano speaks to me personally, and I can
reasonably afford it, I should buy it.

But I do want to test the seller's honesty,
because $4,500 plus about $200 to move the piano
is quite a chunk of change for most people.

Not to be taken lightly in my situation.

#2236046 - 02/22/14 04:03 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: beethoven986]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986

realistic.

Yeah. That sounds about right.

Yes, for what was done, that's correct.

#2236048 - 02/22/14 04:06 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You're right, Jim. I shouldn't always think
about things in terms of money, but that's very
easy to do.

If a piano speaks to me personally, and I can
reasonably afford it, I should buy it.

But I do want to test the seller's honesty,
because $4,500 plus about $200 to move the piano
is quite a chunk of change for most people.

Not to be taken lightly in my situation.

Thanks. My mini-rant was more broadly directed than the question at hand. It seems like almost every time I see the subject of a rebuild come up, it focuses on the question of return on investment in terms of dollars spent, and I feel that's an obtuse point of reference.

But, I understand you wanting a little backup on whether what you're hearing is accurate. That's a sensible question to ask, IMO.

#2236268 - 02/23/14 09:03 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Ed Sutton Offline

If you get the piano for $4000 or $4500, you are the high bidder, and should not assume you can resell for more. In a buyers' market, your purchase establishes the going price. A high quality, fully rebuilt M & H A would sell in the $20,000s, and it should play "like new." That is not what you are buying, and if you like the piano, $4000 is a low price for a piano you will enjoy.

#2236292 - 02/23/14 10:16 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Ed Sutton]
Chuck Behm Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA

Paul - What Ed is saying about the going price is the key to whether you're doing okay with a deal or not. Going by what I've seen, this sounds like a fair deal. A summer ago we sold a Conover grand with a similar amount of work done for $4500 here in rural Iowa. Judging by the fact that I made one phone call to a prospective buyer, offered him the price and had a check for the amount in my hand a half hour later, I'm thinking I could have gone higher. A Mason and Hamlin is (in my experience) a better made piano than a Conover, so I would say if the restoration work was well done (hire a reputable technician to ascertain that), and you really like the piano, you're golden.

Here's the Conover we sold for the price you're talking about:

[img:center][/img]

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#2236324 - 02/23/14 11:12 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
$4500 for that is a steal! Related to another topic, who would recomend a new, low end asian piano over something like that?!?!

Edited by Monaco (02/23/14 11:12 AM)

#2236326 - 02/23/14 11:23 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Yep some see the used Roll Royce or Jaguar as the better drive.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2236396 - 02/23/14 02:05 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Chuck Behm]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Wow, that Conover even looks like the M&H!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drslick/sets/72157638568484836/

Same beautiful finish.

Again, this M&H played and felt like a new piano, and even looked new except for the cracked soundboard.

In regards to Rolls Royces and Jags, would the M&H be
considered the Jaguar?

Haha!

#2236407 - 02/23/14 02:29 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow. Too bad about those cracks.

Have you gotten under it and knocked on the ribs in the vicinity of the cracks? That's one way of checking for buzzes and rattles from them; it's checking to see if the ribs have come unglued.

#2236435 - 02/23/14 04:04 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: OperaTenor]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Wow. Too bad about those cracks.

Have you gotten under it and knocked on the ribs in the vicinity of the cracks? That's one way of checking for buzzes and rattles from them; it's checking to see if the ribs have come unglued.

Yeah, it's a bit too late to replace the soundboard now,
right? It really should have been done during the rebuild (as per the other thread about newer soundboards being better). My guess is that the cracks in the soundboard are quite possibly the main reason the seller has not been able to sell this piano.

However, the tone was still fantastic, so it doesn't seem like this will matter to me. Other people are more concerned about cosmetics, but I'm more about tone and feel.

I didn't notice any buzzes or rattles, but when I look at the piano again, I will definitely check the ribs.

Thanks for the tip....

Edited by Paul678 (02/23/14 04:06 PM)

#2236572 - 02/23/14 10:26 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Are the cracks wide open or are they just a dark line or two along the grain? It is dry indoors this time of year so they are likely to be open to the maximum for your climate right now.

#2236605 - 02/23/14 11:58 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Wow, that Conover even looks like the M&H! - Paul

Hi Paul - It didn't look like much when it was delivered to the shop. It was a freebie, so we had no initial investment in it. Here it was when it was dropped off:

[img:center][/img]

As far as crack in the soundboard, many older pianos have them, oftentimes without noticeable effect on the tone or volume of the piano. If the piano plays and sounds like a dream, figure that the crack is probably saving you several thousands of dollars.

I bought a Jet band saw once that was a floor model. It had a little ding in one corner, and they took off $200. It still is a great saw, and I've never once been bothered by the dented corner! Chuck

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#2236648 - 02/24/14 05:08 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
Are the cracks wide open or are they just a dark line or two along the grain? It is dry indoors this time of year so they are likely to be open to the maximum for your climate right now.

The pics were taken around December of last year, which was fairly high humidity for Tucson. It's driest around May and June.

You could not see through the cracks, and they are with the grain, as you see in the pics, and there are more than one of them. Several actually. I will take a second look soon....

#2236650 - 02/24/14 05:22 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Chuck Behm]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

In response to Chuck: Yes, even true professional or serious semi-pro musicians will be concerned with cosmetics, just for aesthetics, even if it's just for their personal use.

Here's what the seller claims:

"This piano first home was in astabula Ohio from the early 1900 to 1998. Was then moved to southern California, from 1998-2004. Then moved and restored in Houston TX, in 2004. Shipped in early part of 2006 to Tucson AZ to present time."

I'm wondering why the soundboard was either not replaced, or at least the cracks not cosmetically treated, during the re-build. Is it possible the cracks were not there at the time, and only formed here in Tucson, starting in 2006? Is it possible cracks of that nature could form in the 8 years the piano has been in dry Tucson?

I know my Martin guitar did not have significant cracks until I moved from California to Tucson. It's very dry out here in the desert.....

#2236681 - 02/24/14 08:14 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
500 Post Club Member

Paul - If the piano was built in 1900, and it still has the original soundboard, it would be very unusual (in my opinion) for there not to be any cracks. The soundboard is in essence a wooden membrane just a little more than 1/4" thick made of spruce planks merely butt-jointed together. When it gets dry, the wood naturally loses some of its moisture content, and cracks open up. These will either be absolutely straight, indicating a butt joint opening, or will follow a grain line. In humid weather, they will become less obvious as the wood swells - sometimes to the point where they can't be seen at all. Then, when a dry season has its effect, they will open up again.

Look and see if you see evidence of shims in the soundboard, which would indicate that the rebuilder attempted to fix any crack which were showing. It is very possible that the when the piano was worked on, it wasn't as dry in the rebuilder's shop as it is in its present home.

Take a look at this picture of the soundboard of a piano which we had in our shop. When I looked at the instrument in the client's home it was summer and the air was hot and humid. I saw a few hairline cracks, but nothing else. When the piano was brought to the shop, and I worked on it over the following winter, the cracks started opening up. And opening up. And opening up! I believe I installed 24 shims:

[img:center]http://[/img]

My guess is that the rebuilder fixed what he saw, but the piano is now considerably drier than it was. Chuck

#2236710 - 02/24/14 09:56 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Paul, what Chuck said.

Also, since the cracks have that black grit/oxidation in them, I have to think they predate the rebuild.

#2236734 - 02/24/14 10:54 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Chuck Behm]
Paul678 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Chuck, I assume your technique is similar to this:

http://www.jonespianohouse.com/JPH_Gallery_Soundboard.htm

Although your shims appear to be thinner. So your point is that the cracking can re-occur, even after a shimming repair has been done, right?

I didn't notice any evidence of shimming, and I still don't see any in the pictures. I seems to me that they would still be obvious, even though you attempt to stain blend the woods.

If these cracks did predate the rebuild, perhaps the re-builder decided not to shim them, in order to preserve the original tone as much as possible?

In what way can the shimming process alter the tone? Isn't degradation of the tone a risk?

#2236763 - 02/24/14 11:59 AM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Chuck, I assume your technique is similar to this:

http://www.jonespianohouse.com/JPH_Gallery_Soundboard.htm

Although your shims appear to be thinner. So your point is that the cracking can re-occur, even after a shimming repair has been done, right?

That's how it's done, yeah.

I didn't notice any evidence of shimming, and I still don't see any in the pictures. I seems to me that they would still be obvious, even though you attempt to stain blend the woods.

Some shops are really good at hiding them, but most of the pianos I see with shims are obviously shimmed.

If these cracks did predate the rebuild, perhaps the re-builder decided not to shim them, in order to preserve the original tone as much as possible?

No. What "original tone"? The stiffness of a soundboard changes over time, which alters the impedence of the soundboard. An 80 year old soundboard, while still possibly useable, is not going to sound the same as it did when it was new.

In what way can the shimming process alter the tone? Isn't degradation of the tone a risk?

No.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2236976 - 02/24/14 06:56 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
500 Post Club Member

Hi Paul - Actually, the techniques used in the link you posted are a bit more advanced than my methods. I'm still using hand tools to fit the shims - not a better method by any means than what you get with someone using power equipment - just what I'm used to and comfortable with. My only tool for cutting out the cracks in preparation for a shim is a hand-drawn gouging tool, as shown here:

[img:center]/[/img]

#2236990 - 02/24/14 07:23 PM Re: Question for the Rebuilders..... [Re: Paul678]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Chuck does it 'old school'; the way i was taught. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (A Guy, accordeur, Almaviva, alfredo capurso, 38 invisible), 1825 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326096 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission