Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
107 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, Anita Potter, allakart, A Guy, 27 invisible), 1374 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2235905 - 02/22/14 10:50 AM new puppy!
Sweet06 Offline

Hey guys! I used to be so active here but recently rescued a puppy from a shelter! She's my first dog I've owned as an adult. I love her!!

On to the relevant point haha.

I CANNOT believe how much work she is! Especially with an older dog in the house I had to really watch them together! Suffice to say my piano learning took a dive for a solid month. I've been working on the same stuff for a month! I've finally got back into the routine and I'm glad to find I haven't lost much. Boy learning new stuff, i really have to force myself to get into it. Starting is the hardest part, once I've started its not to bad smile. My poor teacher tho I don't want him to feel like he's a bad teacher! I had to cancel this week due to a car accident I was in and my left hand wasn't up to par and probably still isn't but I'm eager to continue my progress. Any advice for getting back in? Just jump in and continue? It's nice to finally have a set routine to get settled into smile

Anyone have any similar stories they want to share?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2235909 - 02/22/14 11:03 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Piano RX Offline

Sweet06,

You have done a wonderful thing in saving a life. In return for your good deed and all the work and expense associated with your new puppy you will receive years of unconditional love and companionship. I would say that is a good deal.

Now that you're back to the piano your little guy/girl can begin music appreciation lessons. laugh

We have 5 dogs and they all lie around the piano as I play. They have truly mastered the art of sucking up!

#2235926 - 02/22/14 11:28 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

hahahah awesome!! Whats cool is my teacher loves dogs and encourages me to bring her to lessons so i totally do! She sits and lies down next to the piano patiently during the lesson! its totally the best thing ever and im very grateful i have such a great dog and such a great piano teacher smile

#2235934 - 02/22/14 11:45 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Go to your lesson and talk to your teacher about how your injured hand feels.

#2235944 - 02/22/14 12:04 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This thread is worthless without pictures!

I want a cuteness factor! laugh

Sweet06 - how wonderful. And how terrific is it that you can take your friend to piano lessons!

I'm so sorry to hear about the car wreck! I was in last summer and while there were no physical injuries to me (the other guy ended up in the hospital) I was still spooked 6 months later. And I'm with malkin - see if your piano teacher has any insight into your hand.

But I love the puppy report smile

Cathy

#2235946 - 02/22/14 12:14 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

http://imgur.com/hl6Cpf8

Thread is no longer worthless!

#2235951 - 02/22/14 12:21 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh, what a wonderful puppy! And just the right expression to steal your heart laugh Those puppies are good at that. Thanks so much for brightening my day.

Cathy

#2235958 - 02/22/14 12:35 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Piano RX Offline

Puppie's name?

#2235962 - 02/22/14 12:47 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Read the collar?

#2235965 - 02/22/14 12:53 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

It's Athena smile

#2235970 - 02/22/14 01:06 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Sweet, what a lovely dog! Re: the hand, definitely talk to your teacher. I had 2 episodes with my RH about a year after I started playing - first surgery, then a cracked elbow 5 months later. It was only a couple of weeks each time that I couldn't play, & at that early stage it din't seem to make much difference.

#2235973 - 02/22/14 01:26 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

Yea, its a little odd. I have full functionality in my left hand, but the feeling is off and on. the doctors said its swollen and cutting off some feeling nerves and once the swelling comes down it should be normal. So like i can still grip things fine, but the feeling comes and goes which is odd playing the piano for sure.

#2236002 - 02/22/14 02:25 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Piano RX]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano RX
We have 5 dogs and they all lie around the piano as I play. They have truly mastered the art of sucking up!
I have fond memories as a kid and young adult of my dog lying by the piano as I played and practiced. From you describing your lesson, I think once the puppy energy wears off, she'll love the piano.

I rescued a kitten 2 years ago. She hasn't quite gotten the sucking up part. For some reason practice time seems like play time to her and she runs around like crazy whenever I play or sing. I'm hoping she grows out of that and it's not that she's a music snob. smile

Definitely talk over your hand with your doctor and teacher. If it's swelling around the nerves, your best bet would be to rest it. The analogy I'm thinking of is carpal tunnel, which I dealt with when I was younger. Once the nerves start to get pinched, you can't really "Play through it". It gets worse if you do. I had to retrain and do some therapy, but from what you describe, the on and off nature of the feeling, I'm hoping it's just the swelling and full feeling will return with a little more rest.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2236319 - 02/23/14 10:57 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Aww! What a pretty baby and a great name. Shelter dogs are the best; they seem to remember their past and are all the more loving for your choosing them to take home.

I hope your hand is on the mend, being injured is no fun.

#2236336 - 02/23/14 11:33 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Piano RX Offline

Originally Posted By: Sweet06
It's Athena smile

Duhh... the name is clearly visible on her tag. Sorry for the redundnant question.

My attention was rivited on that adorable face so I missed the tree in the forest and the name on her tag. Having trained working dogs for decades, including police dogs, SAR, etc, I have learned to look into the face of a dog to read them, just as they do to read what we are thinking. Without a doubt, over the years, dogs have taught me more than I have taught them.

BTW, some of the brightest and best dogs I have encountered (and that is in the 4 digit range over 4 decades) have been shelter dogs.

#2236337 - 02/23/14 11:42 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Regarding your hand, the other poster who said you should rest it is right, if you have swelling, you need to let that swelling go down. If your doctor thinks it's ok for you to play (did you ask?) I would still recommend shorter practice sessions than usual. Did the doctor talk about icing? Because if you do have swelling, that might help. And if you do play the piano, you might consider icing, or even just putting your hand/arm in cold water for 10-20 minutes afterwards.

Don't push yourself, I suspect you'll heal better and faster if you really take it easy in the early stages of the injury.

And congrats on your (very cute) puppy!

Good luck with the hand recovery!

#2236341 - 02/23/14 11:51 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
Music Me Online   content

Loc: New York
Congratulations on Athena. She is beautiful.

I have always wanted a dog but was born and raised in New York in apartments that don't allow dogs. I live in Westchester now and unfortunately there is no dog paragraph in my lease.

I will be retiring in three years and leaving New York. I will do three things in this order:

1) buy a place

2) rescue a dog

3) order my Grand Piano

Enough said.

#2236355 - 02/23/14 12:23 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Music Me]
Piano RX Offline

Originally Posted By: Music Me

I will be retiring in three years and leaving New York. I will do three things in this order:

1) buy a place

2) rescue a dog

3) order my Grand Piano

Enough said.

You have an outstanding retirement plan!

#2236361 - 02/23/14 12:40 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Brian Lucas]
Piano RX Offline

Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Originally Posted By: Piano RX
I have fond memories as a kid and young adult of my dog lying by the piano as I played and practiced. From you describing your lesson, I think once the puppy energy wears off, she'll love the piano.

I rescued a kitten 2 years ago. She hasn't quite gotten the sucking up part. For some reason practice time seems like play time to her and she runs around like crazy whenever I play or sing. I'm hoping she grows out of that and it's not that she's a music snob. smile

One of our 5 is a little guy, a Pomeranian named Louie. He was rescued from a puppy mill many years ago and is deaf due to an untreated simple ear infection during that sad part of his life. Now he is also blind since he is about 15. Somehow, he finds his way to the piano when I play and falls asleep under the bench. He probably feels the vibrations as he knows when I stop and leave. Sometimes, he will go to that spot right around the time I usually practice and wait for me to show up. I leave the bench out for him all the time as he depends on things being in the same place due to his blindness.

Animals and music... two gifts that nourish the human soul. I can't imagine a world without either.

#2236428 - 02/23/14 03:32 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Piano RX]
Music Me Online   content

Loc: New York
Animals and music... two gifts that nourish the human soul. I can't imagine a world without either.

Amen, my friend, Amen! You "got" me.

#2236436 - 02/23/14 04:06 PM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
congratulations on rescuing from a shelter, the best decision a responsible pet owner can make. Unregulated puppy farms are a scourge that need to be stamped out.

#2236669 - 02/24/14 07:37 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Congratulations on your new family member and music lover. Athena suits her and I wish you many fine years together.

My life has always enjoyed the companionship of dogs and cats (and an occasional bird). We have three German Shepherds and they are funny, smart, and loyal. However, they would rather my hand be on their head petting them than on the piano keys...it always seems like it is the time I'm playing so smoothly that Sherman knocks my hand off with his big head. We are very active with our dogs in conformation, obedience, rally, herding and some agility.

Many fine companions can be found in shelters and I join all of you in being appalled about puppy mills. Reputable breeders, are not at all to be confused with puppy mills. The intent, the ethic of care and the love for the breed differentiate us. We are members of the German Shepherd Dog Club of America and uphold the breeder's standard of ethics. Our investment is in insuring the healthy future of our breed.

Love to learn

#2236686 - 02/24/14 08:26 AM Re: new puppy! [Re: Sweet06]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
aaaaawww, what a cutie! But yes, she looks like trouble! heart

Congrats on your new family member and thanks for having adopted a rescued little puppy. Sometimes -well, most times!- I simply cannot understand people!

Take care with that hand!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
33 minutes 44 seconds ago
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
Today at 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
Today at 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
Today at 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
Today at 03:49 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159406 Topics
2341623 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission