Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2235954 - 02/22/14 12:30 PM Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do?
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Sometimes I'm sitting at the piano and I sort of go into third person mode and look at my hands flying across the keys and wonder "how am I doing that?".

I've been playing for about 15 years now and I've tackled a lot of pieces. I know everyone here has done their share of work learning, performing or attempting plenty of pieces of varying complexity. However, even at this stage of experience, does anyone wonder how they're able to navigate across 88 similarly shaped keys at varying speeds? I sit here astounded and still perplexed by my own capability.

Edited by ChopinLives81 (02/22/14 12:31 PM)

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2235960 - 02/22/14 12:41 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
It´s kind of the opposite for me. On rare occasions I do feel satisfied with my accomplishments but more often I'm amazed by the knowledge and skill gap. Glass half empty I guess.

#2235966 - 02/22/14 12:54 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I have this feeling often--not that my skills are all that stunning! smile But especially after doing lots of slow work with a piece, at some point it will start to move at speed, and I'll think, gee, who knew I could do that? (Plus I could never explain how it is that I'm doing it.)
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2235983 - 02/22/14 01:56 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

N.B. Those of a squeamish disposition - please don't read this post!

Having just watched (on TV) the dissection of a (fairly fresh) human hand and forearm, which reminded me of the year I spent doing the same on a cadaver learning anatomy many, many years ago, I'm again in awe of how we pianists manage to hit all the right keys, in the right order. Or at least, some of the time. Well, maybe most of the time. grin

After all, it's all just a series of mechanical linkages - muscles (attached to bones) turning into tendons enclosed within sheaths, culminating in insertions onto other bones.....

Not sure if this link works outside the UK, but be warned - it contains 'graphic medical scenes':
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01mv2md/Dissected_The_Incredible_Human_Hand

#2236022 - 02/22/14 03:04 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: Pathbreaker]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker
It´s kind of the opposite for me. On rare occasions I do feel satisfied with my accomplishments but more often I'm amazed by the knowledge and skill gap. Glass half empty I guess.

Me too, my incredible ability to take a piece of music by any composer and completely muck it up has never failed to disappoint me. I don't see that ever changing. Playing the piano for me is simply a prolonged series of massive failure. It reminds me of that famous old saying, "One door closes, and the corridor gets darker!" Glass Half-empty? Doesn't begin to define the bleak and comfortless desolation of the piano. Only rivalled by a Jack Benny Birthday Party, I would guess.

#2236025 - 02/22/14 03:09 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I think about it constantly. Trying to understand the brain and how it works.....

#2236028 - 02/22/14 03:14 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
More incredible to me - since I rarely get everything right when I'm playing - is the fact that we can be trained and can learn to look at lines, dots, squiggles and a few foreign language words on a piece of paper and transform them into sounds that can range from the ethereally sublime and evocative, to the tender and loving to the passionate and outright aggressive. That is amazing!

Regards,

#2236038 - 02/22/14 03:44 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I experience those feelings when I hear recordings of my own playing or seeing vids of my playing. It is then that I am amazed, and baffled, by the ability to play.

I except that others can do it, but I'm surprised that I have the ability, also.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2236040 - 02/22/14 03:52 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm no more baffled by skill at piano than I am with skill at chess, speed skating, auto racing, figure skating, Rubik's cube, or anything else requiring enormous amounts of training and practice.

I have a little bias toward piano of course, but most other things are equally amazing.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2236043 - 02/22/14 03:59 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I'll take it a step further: I am always baffled and amazed, when I consider it, that I can give a mental command to raise my arm, and then the arm just... raises. One thinks of the mental world and the physical world as being separate, but here I am, just... willing things to happen. I'm quite serious, this amazes me.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow...

-J

#2236050 - 02/22/14 04:10 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Not really with myself, because I'm too aware of my own flaws for that, but I am always amazed at beginner students smile It's just incredible how they become able to make music! I think this is why I love teaching beginners...
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2236053 - 02/22/14 04:14 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: beet31425]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
I'll take it a step further: I am always baffled and amazed, when I consider it, that I can give a mental command to raise my arm, and then the arm just... raises. One thinks of the mental world and the physical world as being separate, but here I am, just... willing things to happen. I'm quite serious, this amazes me.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow...

-J

Wait, so you're saying you can move your arms just by using your thoughts!? I knew telekinesis was real!

Check my videos @:

#2236119 - 02/22/14 07:16 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: slipperykeys]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys
Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker

Me too, my incredible ability to take a piece of music by any composer and completely muck it up has never failed to disappoint me. I don't see that ever changing. Playing the piano for me is simply a prolonged series of massive failure. It reminds me of that famous old saying, "One door closes, and the corridor gets darker!" Glass Half-empty? Doesn't begin to define the bleak and comfortless desolation of the piano. Only rivalled by a Jack Benny Birthday Party, I would guess.

Maybe you should re-evaluate your goals at playing the piano. Are you trying to impress the world? You will likely always be disappointed.
Are you trying to play beautiful music? That may be a goal you've already reached.

#2236124 - 02/22/14 07:25 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

If one looked at what the average pianist could do after one month most wouldn't find it amazing. Then just multiply that by the rest of the time you spent reaching your present level.

What is amazing is the level reached by the top .01% of pianists.

#2236130 - 02/22/14 07:38 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: pianoloverus]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
If one looked at what the average pianist could do after one month most wouldn't find it amazing. Then just multiply that by the rest of the time you spent reaching your present level.

What is amazing is the level reached by the top .01% of pianists.

Heh, reminds me of a quote I read,

"I do not consider myself a virtuoso. I do not find the things I do difficult." --Arcadi Volodos

#2236187 - 02/22/14 11:45 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think the discussion is going slightly off my intended track. I'm really just pointing out the fact that we are capable of playing the piano at all. The thought that we can put our hands to the keys and execute complex movement is astonishing to me. Regardless of the fact that I'm self aware and I know whats going on between my brain, hands, fingers etc,... I still cannot comprehend how it's possible.

Check my videos @:

#2236208 - 02/23/14 01:58 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Dwscamel Offline

My experience chimes with this thread (except for the "when I play very advanced..." parts).

Even if it's only a small piece, hearing the piano sound and knowing that your fingers made that is one of the best parts of life. You only get frustrated by what you CAN'T make!

#2236214 - 02/23/14 02:26 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
It seems... very usual and not original at all to me.

On the other hand seeing someone running 100 meters in less than 8 secs, or seeing someone RUN 44 klm in a few hours is just stunning! These are super humans!

#2236218 - 02/23/14 02:43 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: Nikolas]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
It seems... very usual and not original at all to me.

On the other hand seeing someone running 100 meters in less than 8 secs, or seeing someone RUN 44 klm in a few hours is just stunning! These are super humans!

Oh, check out the Badwater Ultramarathon sometime

#2236227 - 02/23/14 04:06 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: Nikolas]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I can't run 100m in less than 8 sec (I might just scrape in under 16 sec....), but I've run 44km non-stop in a few hours several times.

But I don't think Superman has much to fear from me, either as a competitor or as an adversary grin. And I've definitely spent more hours tinkling the plastics (a.k.a. 'ivories') to get to a decent (i.e. mediocre) standard than I have pounding the pavements (a.k.a. sidewalks) and trails to enable me to run 44km in less than 3 1/2 hr.

#2236247 - 02/23/14 07:06 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This thread reminded me of a book that was written pretty much because the author had this same question. It's The Hand: How its use shapes the brain, language, and human culture by Frank R. Wilson. I read it some years ago but really only remember this paragraph, from the prologue -

Quote:
Like most people, I have spent the better part of my life oblivious to the workings of my own hands. My first extended attempt to master a specific manual skill for its own sake took place at the piano. I was in my early forties at the time and in my dual role as parent and neurologist had become enchanted by the pianistic flights of my twelve-year-old daughter, Suzanna. 'How does she make her fingers go so fast?' was the question that occurred to me when I interrupted my listening long enough to watch her play. I read everything I could about the subject and finally realized I would never find the answer until I took myself to the piano to find out.

(And, speaking "how do we do stuff with our hands" it surprised me that I could type that paragraph with only a couple of errors and fairly quickly.)

Now that I've pulled the book off the shelf, I'm thinking I should reread it and see if I get more from it the second time around. I won't recommend it, because my remembered impression is that it had disappointed me, but the reviews on Amazon seem mostly positive, so maybe it was just me.

#2237052 - 02/24/14 09:03 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I'm not so fascinated by the mechanical side of the instrument. My amazement is more so at the fact that when we learn music, or at least when I learn music, no matter how many times the piece has been played, by myself or someone else, it's always different.

#2237135 - 02/24/14 11:03 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: bennevis]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: bennevis

I can't run 100m in less than 8 sec (I might just scrape in under 16 sec....), but I've run 44km non-stop in a few hours several times.

But I don't think Superman has much to fear from me, either as a competitor or as an adversary grin. And I've definitely spent more hours tinkling the plastics (a.k.a. 'ivories') to get to a decent (i.e. mediocre) standard than I have pounding the pavements (a.k.a. sidewalks) and trails to enable me to run 44km in less than 3 1/2 hr.
Well perhaps my example was poorly set. I'll try again.

The feat that the Olympic athlets do are simply stunning for me! To be able and jump some 8.95 meters long, without touching the ground seems insane to me! Playing the piano doesn't! :-/

But your feat at doing a marathon at 3 and half hours or less is simply stunning as well! My respect to you sir!

#2237239 - 02/25/14 06:39 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
joonsang Offline

Every time I think I know a lot about piano, I am always amazed by the endless "freshness" and complexity gained from playing new pieces.

#2237467 - 02/25/14 02:07 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes it's all miraculous. We hardly understand anything of all of the body, brain and world, yet we can make it work.

The perception process (seeing and hearing) is even more miraculous. If you have done even a little bit of image or audio processing, you know that what we think as 'the usual percepts' is really a huge mess, and somehow we make sense of it. Those olympics are nothing compared to that

#2237882 - 02/26/14 10:30 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Byudzai Offline

See: the cerebellum.

Kind of a sub-brain that does a LOT of stuff, but one major task is to manage our motor output.

When you "get that piece in your fingers" or "get the muscle memory down" for a piece, what you've really done is trained your cerebellum how to play it. Now you can set your "mind" to other tasks, like interpretation etc, while your little minion brain churns out all the fine motor stuff needed to hit the notes at the time with the right speed.

"This Is Your Brain On Music" speaks to this point. Fun book.
Wish list: Beethoven var's c minor, Brahms Rhapsody 2, Schubert Klavierstucke #2

#2238243 - 02/27/14 12:47 AM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't think about it too hard.

The centipede's dilemma:
A centipede was happy – quite!
Until a toad in fun
Said, "Pray, which leg moves after which?"
This raised her doubts to such a pitch,
She fell exhausted in the ditch
Not knowing how to run. -- Katherine Craster

#2238452 - 02/27/14 12:53 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: ChopinLives81]
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I often wondered what natural skills a person would have are necessary for successful piano playing. Keyboard instruments have only been around for a fraction of human existence, yet it is doubtless that the skillset required to play a keyboard instrument existed before their invention. I believe that the most important things are hand eye coordination, dexterity, rhythmic sense and determination. I'm not sure these things can be taught, but Elsie Segar, the creator of Pop-Eye the sailor, said that someone with less talent but who works harder can eclipse one with more talent, who does not work as hard.
Exercises

#2238468 - 02/27/14 01:33 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: Nikolas]
Svenno Offline

Loc: Estonia

seeing someone running 100 meters in less than 8 secs, or seeing someone RUN 44 klm in a few hours is just stunning!

The feat that the Olympic athlets do are simply stunning for me! To be able and jump some 8.95 meters long, without touching the ground seems insane to me! Playing the piano doesn't! :-/

Well, isn't that how it should be? you're a pianist, you're used to playing the piano, it normal that it doesn't seem that that difficult to you anymore. I bet if those olympic athletes who jump 8.95 metres watch you play the piano, they would be as stunned as you are when you're watching them... i mean, you could play "Für elise" to a non-musician, and they'd go all "oh my that's AMAZING!!! how can you do that"?

Edited by Svenno (02/27/14 01:36 PM)

― Plato

#2238490 - 02/27/14 02:04 PM Re: Anyone else still not understand how we do what we do? [Re: Svenno]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Svenno

seeing someone running 100 meters in less than 8 secs, or seeing someone RUN 44 klm in a few hours is just stunning!

Well, isn't that how it should be? you're a pianist, you're used to playing the piano, it normal that it doesn't seem that that difficult to you anymore. I bet if those olympic athletes who jump 8.95 metres watch you play the piano, they would be as stunned as you are when you're watching them... i mean, you could play "Für elise" to a non-musician, and they'd go all "oh my that's AMAZING!!! how can you do that"?

Even though I hold a music performance degree and teach music, I still find jumping 8.95 metres more comprehensible than how we play piano! I know what can be done to increase skills and understanding and make a better musician, but it's still an extraordinary confluence of so many factors - many of which we can't be aware of while we are doing it. Jumping a long distance is not nearly so sophisticated a proposition - incredible athleticism and technique notwithstanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
57 registered (bhmpower, aesop, beet31425, 15 invisible), 892 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315757 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission