Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2236076 - 02/22/14 05:15 PM Software X
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Like many others here, I have tons of piano score sheets. I like to automatically convert some of them to lead sheets and corresponding MIDI files in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

Probably, that means scanning the piano score sheets to pdf and feeding them to software X. I need some basic editing capabilities of the automatically converted files, such as substitution of a chord in both the lead sheet and the corresponding MIDI file.

What software X do you recommend?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2236091 - 02/22/14 05:45 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
There was a discussion about PDF to MIDI software not so long ago. ShiroKuro and Tangleweeds mentioned something, a search of the forums should find this thread and others like it.

I'd say the process should be to convert the PDF to MIDI, make the necessary corrections (depends on how good the software is how much is needed) and then run the chord finder feature on the resulting MIDI file. Most notation programs have a chord assignment feature, at least the better ones.

Edit: Here's the thread I was talking about.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2217027/Software_for_creating_sheet_mu.html

Edited by TheodorN (02/22/14 05:49 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2236110 - 02/22/14 06:38 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: doremi

What software X do you recommend?

I own Photoscore Ultimate and it does a decent job. According to forums and reviews, the Ultimate version (not the Lite one) of Photoscore is superior to competitors like Smartscore and is probably the state of the art.
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2236114 - 02/22/14 06:56 PM Re: Software X [Re: TheodorN]
Dan Clark Offline

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA
I tried several scan-to-score apps. I found the best accuracy is with: https://www.musitek.com/smartscore-pro.html.

I have a Brother auto-feed all-in-one. By limiting the number of pages to something like 3-4 at a time, I can accurately scan printed sheet music directly into SmartScore. Accuracy is something like 95%. The touch-up process is fairly straight-forward.

After touchup, the music is exported into MusicXML and then imported into Sibelius 7 (7.1.3). There may be a better workflow, but I merge multiple "chunks" of a piece in Sibelius and then make necessary changes, including cleanup and assigning instruments. Finally, scores are exported to MIDI or printed.

I own both Sibelius and Finale. I prefer Sibelius over Finale. OTOH... Sibelius included a light version of PhotoScore and Finale a light version of SmartScore. In side by side testing, PhotoScore's accuracy was relatively poor at maybe 70-80%. As I mentioned above, SmartScore's accuracy was much higher.

I got the competitive upgrade price so it was $299. Still pricey, worth it IMO.

Regards,

Dan.

Edited by Dan Clark (02/22/14 07:07 PM)

#2236141 - 02/22/14 08:26 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

I too own both Finale and Sybellius (both full versions), and Photoscore ultimate, as I said (I don't own Smartscore pro). So I decided to do a test. I took the first page of River flows in you and scanned it with Smartscore lite (inside Finale) and in Photoscore ultimate. Photoscore did much better (virtually perfect actually). I don't know if (and how) to post midi files in this forum otherwise I would attach the midi exports. So Photoscore Ultimate is much more accurate than Smartscore lite (in addition, Smartscore lite has several limitation and only gave me the notes, Photoscore gave me everything that was on the page, and accurately).
My 2 cents....
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2236173 - 02/22/14 10:55 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Folks, I don't want to get in the middle of this, but can you (and others) please comment on the accuracy of the automatic chord recognition feature of PhotoScore, SmartScore, and similar apps? Thanks!

#2236240 - 02/23/14 06:02 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

Folks, I don't want to get in the middle of this, but can you (and others) please comment on the accuracy of the automatic chord recognition feature of PhotoScore, SmartScore, and similar apps? Thanks!

I am not sure of what you mean. Do you mean, in scores where there are chord symbols, if the symbols are in the results?
There are in Photoscore, not in Finale (smartscore lite). Now if you also mean if you can playback the chords or add them to the midi file, as far I know you need (to export to) Sibelius for that. You need to use the option realize chord symbols (In v.7, it's under text, plugins).
You can have a look here
http://tomrudolph.berkleemusicblogs.com/2012/08/31/realizing-chord-symbols-in-sibelius/

#2236253 - 02/23/14 07:55 AM Re: Software X [Re: Digitalguy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Full piano scores typically have no chord symbols. I like to convert them to lead sheets with chord symbols (like in fakebooks) I thought software can be (easily?) programmed to recognize the chords from the full score and add the missing chord symbols, perhaps after reducing the recognized chords to a simpler subset. No?

#2236257 - 02/23/14 08:05 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

Full piano scores typically have no chord symbols. I like to convert them to lead sheets with chord symbols (like in fakebooks) I thought software can be (easily?) programmed to recognize the chords from the full score and add the missing chord symbols, perhaps after reducing the recognized chords to a simpler subset. No?

So you mean translating the left hand into chord symbols? Not sure it's what you mean but if you mean this, I am not aware of a way to do this. However this is a task for a notation software (such as Sibelius or Finale) not a music scanning software (as far as I know at least...)

#2236259 - 02/23/14 08:16 AM Re: Software X [Re: Digitalguy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
So you mean translating the left hand into chord symbols?

I think that the answer to the question is basically yes. The broader question is what do fakebook publishers do to arrive at their lead sheets.

I take it that fakebook publishers use Finale or Sibelius for this purpose, what is the workflow, in a nutshell?

#2236263 - 02/23/14 08:25 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy
So you mean translating the left hand into chord symbols?

I think that the answer to the question is basically yes. The broader question is what do fakebook publishers do to arrive at their lead sheets.

I take it that fakebook publishers use Finale or Sibelius for this purpose, what is the workflow, in a nutshell?

I imagine they use one of the 2 leading software but I don't know the exact process they go through.... Maybe some professionals could reply here but you should probably change the title of the thread as this one does not tell much about the subject....

#2236266 - 02/23/14 08:49 AM Re: Software X [Re: Digitalguy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Agree, and I will start a new thread with a better title. The reason I used 'Software X' was that I did not even know what exactly it was that I was after. Your comments have clarified that, thanks!

#2236273 - 02/23/14 09:14 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline

Agree, and I will start a new thread with a better title. The reason I used 'Software X' was that I did not even know what exactly it was that I was after. Your comments have clarified that, thanks!

Yes, good idea, and maybe link this thread in the new one, so that people can see the comments already made.

#2236276 - 02/23/14 09:26 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Posted a sanitized question to the ABF forum in case someone is interested.

#2236304 - 02/23/14 10:39 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but this question is interesting to me; and it may or may not expose the extent of my ignorance. It is this:

If you want notation symbols, then presumably, you can read them. Otherwise, what's the use of them? So if you can make sense of them (ie play a chord from a given symbol), then wouldn't it be easy enough to write the symbols out yourself in the first place?

And, furthermore, wouldn't it be better than letting a machine make 'blind' judgements? Much in the way that human translation is, for the most part, better than relying on Google Translate.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2236315 - 02/23/14 10:49 AM Re: Software X [Re: toddy]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
@Toddy

I play in church and the hymn book has melody only.
I cannot read music, or should say, cannot read/play music in real time.

I input melody from hymn book into notation program and let the program insert chord symbols ... make my own lead sheet.

Notation program speeds up the process for me.
If I do not like a chord it comes up with, I simply change it.

Edited by dannac (02/23/14 10:51 AM)

#2236322 - 02/23/14 11:09 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, I understand. So it's really a tool to speed the process up - that's what I'd do to - including using Google Translate from time to time smile

But you say you 'input the melody from the hymn book into the notation program and let the program insert the chord symbols'.

Does this mean the computer actually works out the chord progression from the melody only? If so, it's a great deal more sophisticated than I thought could be. If it merely worked out the most probable chord from a bunch of notes, that is a simple thing (f#gbd = GMaj7, for example).

But if it works out the chords just from the melodic pattern, then it must have all the rules and conventions for writing part harmonies programmed into it: intricate! Not to mention the fact that Bach would have very different ideas from Britten or Bert Bacharach on how to go about it.

#2236758 - 02/24/14 11:47 AM Re: Software X [Re: toddy]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Quote:
But you say you 'input the melody from the hymn book into the notation program and let the program insert the chord symbols'.

Does this mean the computer actually works out the chord progression from the melody only? If so, it's a great deal more sophisticated than I thought could be.
But if it works out the chords just from the melodic pattern, then it must have all the rules and conventions for writing part harmonies programmed into it: intricate! Not to mention the fact that Bach would have very different ideas from Britten or Bert Bacharach on how to go about it.

Yes, you can see examples in this thread.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2236274

#2236778 - 02/24/14 12:29 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Well, if you want Bach, you play Bach. wink Otherwise, there are conventional chord progressions that match with melodies rather well.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2236801 - 02/24/14 01:52 PM Re: Software X [Re: Morodiene]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Well, if you want Bach, you play Bach. wink Otherwise, there are conventional chord progressions that match with melodies rather well.

True, there is no greater way to spend your time on this earth than playing Bach, but you might want to do something in the style of Bach, mightn't you? But then, I really think it would be time to start working out your own chords. Although I suppose harmonizing in the style of Bach would be something computers would be rather good at, given a clever programmer.

But it would always be second rate Bach.

#2236806 - 02/24/14 02:07 PM Re: Software X [Re: toddy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy

not necessarily

#2236817 - 02/24/14 02:30 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

No, I meant a machine would be second rate. The fact that someone like Nicole Pesce can do 'first rate' Bach is fine. But the idea of a machine doing it makes me nervous....but it might happen, I suppose. A computer could conceivably come up with a decent fugue, but it would never be able to do a Mass in B Minor, would it?

#2236833 - 02/24/14 02:50 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

All of us here will always be second rate Bach, with or without the help of a machine. There is no good reason for refusing the help of the machine on that basis.

#2237028 - 02/24/14 08:17 PM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm interested in Photoscore vs Smartscore. I've downloaded both demos and from what I've seen Photoscore is doing a better job of recognizing and converting than Smartscore.

But #1, I want to edit the results (fix problems and ultimately make other changes) and Smartscore seems to have more editing features.

But #2, Smartscore seems really buggy and some rather simple editing functions either don't work at all or only work sometimes (can't figure out how that can be but the same keypresses are ignored sometimes and work other times).

Personally, I find Photoscore editing interface more logical and like I said above it always seems to work. But it is limited.

So my question is - is anyone happy with Smartscore for editing, or do you see bugs like I do. Do I really need to use Finale or Sibelius for editing? I don't mind paying for Smartscore or Photoscore but I would like to avoid further expense just for editing the scores and ultimately converting them back to pdfs for my iPad.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2237039 - 02/24/14 08:37 PM Re: Software X [Re: Macy]
Digitalguy Offline

Originally Posted By: Macy
I'm interested in Photoscore vs Smartscore. I've downloaded both demos and from what I've seen Photoscore is doing a better job of recognizing and converting than Smartscore.

But #1, I want to edit the results (fix problems and ultimately make other changes) and Smartscore seems to have more editing features.

But #2, Smartscore seems really buggy and some rather simple editing functions either don't work at all or only work sometimes (can't figure out how that can be but the same keypresses are ignored sometimes and work other times).

Personally, I find Photoscore editing interface more logical and like I said above it always seems to work. But it is limited.

So my question is - is anyone happy with Smartscore for editing, or do you see bugs like I do. Do I really need to use Finale or Sibelius for editing? I don't mind paying for Smartscore or Photoscore but I would like to avoid further expense just for editing the scores and ultimately converting them back to pdfs for my iPad.

I agree, Photoscore is limited for editing, you can always export as midi and edit in a good freeware like Musescore, but you will lose all the info that is in the page and is not on the midi files (chord symbols, text, etc.). The perfect solution is indeed Sibelius (not Finale for Photoscore), maybe you could go with Sibelius First...

Edit: I have just realized you can export virtually everything as xml, and then use the free Musescore for editing.

Edited by Digitalguy (02/24/14 08:45 PM)

#2237142 - 02/24/14 11:25 PM Re: Software X [Re: Macy]
Dan Clark Offline

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA

Macy,

My experience with SmartScore is similar to yours. I don't particularly like the SmartScore interface and some of the features seem buggy. That said, the only thing I use it for is to edit the few mistakes that SmartScore makes when it converts a scanned script. The rest of my editing is in Sibelius 7.

Which brings me to my primary criteria - accuracy. I first started looking for other options when my initial scans with PhotoScore lite required a lot of editing just to clean them up and make them exactly like the original sheet music. It's a waste of time editing just to clean up scan/conversion mistakes. All the great editing features won't make up for poor scans.

Regarding comparing a lite version of a product to a full production version of another product and drawing any conclusions, is not a reasonable test. My initial test before buying SmartScore was Lite to Lite. SmartScore was more accurate.

To double-check my original test results, I downloaded the latest demo version of the PhotoScore Pro Ultimate, chose another printed score, scanned it directly from my scanner, and reviewed the results. Then, using my copy of SmartScoreX2 Pro, I repeated the test. Again, SmartScore was more accurate. (From the Neuratron website, it appears the demo version of PhotoScore is EXACTLY like the purchased version except that you can't print or save the converted file.)

If someone can find a public domain score that I can use, I'll repeat my test using that score and post the results. (Since my scores are copyrighted scores that I purchased, I don't feel comfortable posting the results publicly using those scores.) The only caveat is that the score must be a clean, commercially printed score - no handwritten scores.

Regarding editing, I understand that you don't want to buy more software for editing. However, I don't recommend either SmartScore or PhotoScore for editing the score. Both are scanner/conversion tools with some editing added in. Both will frustrate you because sooner or later you will run into "the wall" - you need to accomplish something, and those software packages don't support the feature you need, the feature is poorly implemented, and/or the feature is buggy.

You will get better results from purpose-specific editing tools. Although I also own Finale, I strongly recommend Sibelius 7 for editing scores.

For detailed MIDI editing, try Reaper or FL Studio. I have both, but much prefer Reaper even though FL Studio has the better reputation as a MIDI editor. As hard as I try, I just can't get used to FL Studio. Reaper seems more consistent, stable, and easier to use. And for $60, Reaper is great value for the buck

Right now I own no less than five commercial score editors and three DAWs. I've wasted a lot of money trying to get editors work before finding decent quality software for editing. Sibelius and Reaper are my recommendations for editing.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I've not used MuseScore, but since it's free it's a good place to start.

Edited by Dan Clark (02/25/14 12:18 AM)

#2237216 - 02/25/14 03:10 AM Re: Software X [Re: Dan Clark]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dan Clark

Macy,

My experience with SmartScore is similar to yours. I don't particularly like the SmartScore interface and some of the features seem buggy. That said, the only thing I use it for is to edit the few mistakes that SmartScore makes when it converts a scanned script. The rest of my editing is in Sibelius 7.

Which brings me to my primary criteria - accuracy. I first started looking for other options when my initial scans with PhotoScore lite required a lot of editing just to clean them up and make them exactly like the original sheet music. It's a waste of time editing just to clean up scan/conversion mistakes. All the great editing features won't make up for poor scans.

Regarding comparing a lite version of a product to a full production version of another product and drawing any conclusions, is not a reasonable test. My initial test before buying SmartScore was Lite to Lite. SmartScore was more accurate.

To double-check my original test results, I downloaded the latest demo version of the PhotoScore Pro Ultimate, chose another printed score, scanned it directly from my scanner, and reviewed the results. Then, using my copy of SmartScoreX2 Pro, I repeated the test. Again, SmartScore was more accurate. (From the Neuratron website, it appears the demo version of PhotoScore is EXACTLY like the purchased version except that you can't print or save the converted file.)

If someone can find a public domain score that I can use, I'll repeat my test using that score and post the results. (Since my scores are copyrighted scores that I purchased, I don't feel comfortable posting the results publicly using those scores.) The only caveat is that the score must be a clean, commercially printed score - no handwritten scores.

Regarding editing, I understand that you don't want to buy more software for editing. However, I don't recommend either SmartScore or PhotoScore for editing the score. Both are scanner/conversion tools with some editing added in. Both will frustrate you because sooner or later you will run into "the wall" - you need to accomplish something, and those software packages don't support the feature you need, the feature is poorly implemented, and/or the feature is buggy.

You will get better results from purpose-specific editing tools. Although I also own Finale, I strongly recommend Sibelius 7 for editing scores.

For detailed MIDI editing, try Reaper or FL Studio. I have both, but much prefer Reaper even though FL Studio has the better reputation as a MIDI editor. As hard as I try, I just can't get used to FL Studio. Reaper seems more consistent, stable, and easier to use. And for $60, Reaper is great value for the buck

Right now I own no less than five commercial score editors and three DAWs. I've wasted a lot of money trying to get editors work before finding decent quality software for editing. Sibelius and Reaper are my recommendations for editing.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I've not used MuseScore, but since it's free it's a good place to start.

Thanks for your comments. Good to know you've found SmartScore a bit buggy too. And I am worried that I wouldn't find either of them completely adequate for future editing feature-wise. Hence I'm looking into the other options. But I'm getting contrary results when doing recognition.

I downloaded the demo's of both SmartScore and PhotoScore Pro Ultimate and tried them the last several days with pdf scores that I have previously scanned and use on my iPad now. In every case PhotoScore has done a significantly better job of Recognizing with fewer recognition errors to correct. Note that I haven't used either to actually scan. So it may be (???) that SmartScore is somehow smarter in setting up your scanner (and may be for mine?) than PhotoScore. I'll have to try actually scanning from inside these programs to see if I get a different result. But I've got hundreds of scores already scanned that I wouldn't want to do over, so that is the most important accuracy comparison for me.

Tonight I've downloaded demo's of Finale Print Music (2011 is latest version) and Sibelius First to try as editors. Both are smaller versions of their $600 programs at about $120. (I won't spend $600 for just editing). I'll be trying them in the next few days. I also tried MuseScore today and I found it really bad and lacking features. Keep in mind that I want to correct and edit (add to) scanned scores and not create scores from scratch, which is a different application than mine. And of course other people could disagree if their application is different and human interfaces are obviously at least somewhat subjective anyway.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2237272 - 02/25/14 09:03 AM Re: Software X [Re: Macy]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

....But I'm getting contrary results when doing recognition.

What exactly does 'recognition' encompass?

#2237296 - 02/25/14 10:10 AM Re: Software X [Re: toddy]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: toddy
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

True, there is no greater way to spend your time on this earth than playing Bach, but you might want to do something in the style of Bach, mightn't you? But then, I really think it would be time to start working out your own chords. Although I suppose harmonizing in the style of Bach would be something computers would be rather good at, given a clever programmer.

Bach didn't do chords, he made individual melodic lines. So software that is chord-based will always fall short somehow. It would have to be programmed in a more linear way, creating counter-melodies to the main melody.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2237331 - 02/25/14 11:08 AM Re: Software X [Re: doremi]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

True, he wrote harmonic counterpoint of one sort or another which is not chordal as such. But he would always have a chord progression in mind. In fact, I think he sometimes would not bother to write parts out at all and just write figured bases, which, in harmonic terms, is a precise indication of the intended chords.

And, in any case, if you think about it, he did write lots of chords. Don't the chorales count as chord writing? He wrote hundreds of those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
09/22/14 06:37 AM
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
09/22/14 06:01 AM
Piece ID
by IstvánE
09/21/14 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
09/21/14 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
09/21/14 09:28 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (Baroque Style, barbaram, beeboss, accordeur, 20 invisible), 916 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157683 Topics
2316095 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission