2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello all,

I'm a 25 year acoustic piano veteran but new to the world of virtual instrument software.

Purchased Ivory II (Grand Pianos) yesterday, loaded it to my 2013 Retina Macbook Pro (2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory) and connected to a 88 weighted key controller.

Loving it so far! smile

My primary use of the software will be for daily pleasure playing & for midi/audio recording using Logic X. Achieving impeccable sound quality of the software through a mixed monitor system and/or headphones, is a priority for me.

What are the justifiable advantages of using an audio interface in my current set up? Audio interface recommendations? Open/closed ear headphone recommendations?

Thank you in advanced for your replies,

Norm

Treat yourself right, you're worth it!
Brodmann 187, Kawai VPC-1, Roland RD-2000
Open headphones for me all the way. For example Sennheiser 5xx range. Are you unhappy with your current sound card ? Poor sound or bad latency ?

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a Komplete Audio 6 audio interface box in my setup. It simplifies a number of things.

1) It's set up for multiple inputs/outputs.
2) I can plug in both headphones and studio monitors to the box. And each has its own volume control knob.
3) I understand that it is like a sound-card of its own, with its own software drivers. Thus you bypass the internal sound card of the computer.

You could also record a signal from the output end of the audio box.

I am no expert but these stuck out for me.

Good luck with your setup.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Normangh
Achieving impeccable sound quality of the software through a mixed monitor system and/or headphones, is a priority for me.

I've added an Audioquest DragonFly* USB DAC stick to my Mac Mini for headphone listening. Much improved sound thru any headphone - including Sennheiser 598's - I've connected. I'm anxious to hook up the DragonFly to my Mac laptop and see what improvements I hear in software piano sound (Pianoteq at the moment, Ravenscroft to come).

*The original DragonFly (which I'm using) is now only $99. A new version has been introduced at $149. Check listenup.com for the newest version or Amazon for the original.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I don't have experience with it myself. Might be worth a look at the Babyface. People on Gearslutz speak highly of it.

I"m happy with my AKG K240 headphones. Not the MkII. They are accurate. Comfortable.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
True. It is really worth considering the RME Babyface. Extremely low latency, very high quality dac's and rock solid drivers and control panel.

Also, consider testing Pianoteq virtual instrument. This program doesn't work with samples, but with modelling. It takes only 20MB on your ssd and it is easier on your cpu.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tom620

Also, consider testing Pianoteq virtual instrument. This program doesn't work with samples, but with modelling. It takes only 20MB on your ssd and it is easier on your cpu.

Not exact concerning CPU. If you don't use sympathetic resonance in Ivory II (in my opinion the sound is extremely good and definitely more realistic than in pianoteq even without SR) you can run it virtually in any pc. I tested both in my 2 atom tablets (not the recent Baytrail, but the old and slower Clovertrail Atom tablets, like Acer W510), using an audio interface and an external USB 2.0 drive. Well, pianoteq doesn't work (CPU load), the only 2 software that work well (out of the ones you can see in my signature) are Ivory and Vintage D, both with factory settings, which in addition are probably the 2 best sample based piano software today...

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
A little surprising, though perhaps only a very little.
Playing samples takes little more CPU power than retrieving data from storage (HDD or SDD) and sending it out to DACs, i.e. file handling.

Pianoteq is REPUTED to be very low in its resource requirements, both memory and CPU and of course once loaded it doesn't have to access storage.
Despite the claims I suspect that the actual CALCULATIONS performed in real time are quite low, at least it appears to be so on what I have run.

I can only go back as far (& as slow) as a dual core AMD laptop with 4 Gig here and it works well enough on that.

B
B
I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 AI. The sound card on my Windows laptop made Galaxy Vintage D sound horrible. The driver from Focusrite now handles all sound and now sounds beautiful thru my powered monitors. Another benefit is that I can play music (from Google Play Music All Access) and totally bypass the laptop's crappy speakers instead using my monitors.

Totally worth getting in my case. Not sure how the Mac driver compares, but has to be better than on my Acer laptop.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission