2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
E
I wanted to make this a topic because on an earlier thread several of us were discussing whether the small amount of weight removed when shaping grooved hammers will be noticed when you play the piano.

Today I was re-pinning and shaping the hammers of a Korean "mystery" sluggish grand. When I have the hammer unscrewed I am removing the staple, (0.1gr) using a knife to pear up the shoulders, (0.2gr) deep needling the bass and tenor hammers, and re-pinning the hammer centers. After the hammers are all back on the frame I will even up the shape by gang filing, (0.1gr). I am limiting the narrowing of hammers on this piano to notes 52-88 to reduce the clients cost of the entire job.

When I play chromatic scales at what would be mezzo-piano, even with this small amount of weight change, the touch is easier to start moving and the key returns quicker. The change to down-weight is in the (2.0gr) range. I can more rapidly sense how fast the hammer is moving when I start the keystroke, and can relax sooner in the keystroke to let my finger carry the key to bottom. The quicker return lets me move to the next note with more time to sense how fast I am moving the next hammer.

Depending on the dynamic gradient a set of hammers possess, resetting the down-weight of an action often is needed to produce a secure range of dynamic control for a pianist when reshaping hammers. Altering the down-weight by 2 grams of an action by key-leads would not be noticed-but reducing the weight of a hammer by (0.5 to 0.7gr), which also reduces touch weight by 2.0gr will be readily noticed when playing.

Technicians need to develop a feel for this to be able to serve clients well. They need to discuss this change with the client when they propose shaping worn hammers, because it affects the cost.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Altering the down-weight by 2 grams of an action by key-leads would not be noticed-but reducing the weight of a hammer by (0.5 to 0.7gr), which also reduces touch weight by 2.0gr will be readily noticed when playing.

I'm think so need not do. Because any change a hammer ( the weight of a hammer by (0.5 to 0.7gr) is great not understanding for a client. Yes, a hammer should be is standart thing in a piano. I always make a deleting hammer's groove only. If we will do it's and a hammer will kick so earlier, I'm think so

To remove as low as possible felts with a hammer
http://youtu.be/sf1LHhRMwhg

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Absolutely, Ed. I encounter heavy actions all the time, and feel sorry for the kids trying to make music with them. Can you describe the best way to take a knife to a hammer?

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I would like to know that, too. I've never heard of taking a knife to a hammer for reshaping before.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
E
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
E
Once the staple is removed, you can cut from the shoulder down the hammer to the edge of the felt on the moulding. It pears up the shape quickly and with almost no dust. Then when you remove the string marks with sandpaper you are not "fighting" with the felt on the shoulder. You need to finish shaping with sandpaper strips and a short straight edge to guide uniformity.

Hammer makers use knifes to "skive" the felt when making hammers and they trim the shoulders after gluing the strip to the mouldings before separating each hammer.

I will have to travel, burn and space hammers on this action because I unscrewed them from the frame to re-pin.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I wanted to make this a topic because on an earlier thread several of us were discussing whether the small amount of weight removed when shaping grooved hammers will be noticed when you play the piano.

Today I was re-pinning and shaping the hammers of a Korean "mystery" sluggish grand. When I have the hammer unscrewed I am removing the staple, (0.1gr) using a knife to pear up the shoulders, (0.2gr) deep needling the bass and tenor hammers, and re-pinning the hammer centers. After the hammers are all back on the frame I will even up the shape by gang filing, (0.1gr). I am limiting the narrowing of hammers on this piano to notes 52-88 to reduce the clients cost of the entire job.

When I play chromatic scales at what would be mezzo-piano, even with this small amount of weight change, the touch is easier to start moving and the key returns quicker. The change to down-weight is in the (2.0gr) range. I can more rapidly sense how fast the hammer is moving when I start the keystroke, and can relax sooner in the keystroke to let my finger carry the key to bottom. The quicker return lets me move to the next note with more time to sense how fast I am moving the next hammer.

Depending on the dynamic gradient a set of hammers possess, resetting the down-weight of an action often is needed to produce a secure range of dynamic control for a pianist when reshaping hammers. Altering the down-weight by 2 grams of an action by key-leads would not be noticed-but reducing the weight of a hammer by (0.5 to 0.7gr), which also reduces touch weight by 2.0gr will be readily noticed when playing.

Technicians need to develop a feel for this to be able to serve clients well. They need to discuss this change with the client when they propose shaping worn hammers, because it affects the cost.

+1

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Deleted.

Last edited by Withindale; 02/28/14 05:09 AM. Reason: OT

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission