Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, ando, 42 invisible), 1583 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2238433 - 02/27/14 11:54 AM Are all piano keys the same size?
corysold Offline

I see many videos of people playing with what appears to be their fingers between the black keys, playing the whites. For the first time this week, I had a sequence that would have required such a technique, but my fingers don't fit between the keys!

I had somewhat large hands, but I don't think abnormally so. It didn't work on my teachers Kawai grand or my Kawai digital. So are all keys roughly the same size, or would this technique work on a different piano? I could press the key between, but I'd have to turn my finger sideways in an awkward way, which is less efficient than just using a different fingering.

So are players really playing between the black keys or is it just an illusion?

What impact would not being able to do this really have on playing various pieces?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2238436 - 02/27/14 12:21 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
They are not all the same size.

#2238443 - 02/27/14 12:31 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No keys are different. Not even on 1 piano. There is some pattern in it.

Between brands it's also different.

I have pretty thin fingers. I had one piece where I could not get one note played. I just dumped that note.

#2238464 - 02/27/14 01:18 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nope. I can manage to play the white keys between the blacks because my fingers are thin. My teacher has larger hands and bigger fingers (his hands can open up to intervals of 10th!). He manages it mostly by playing the white key at the edge of the black ones instead of going further into the black keys.

#2238471 - 02/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
No, all the keys are not the same on a piano and also a little different from brand to brand. I would say since you and your teacher have Kawai, each brand tend to stick to the same standard more or less, so it is best to try your best to cope because you'll have to play your teacher's piano to get proper lesson on technique, so there is no real benefit in getting a piano with slightly bigger gap between black keys even if you find one.

Yes, playing between the black keys is necessary, not an illusion. You may need to figure out how to turn your hand a little. Some people play so close to the fallboard that their fallboards are all filled with scratch marks, but I think it's actually better if you stay as far away as possible since the closer you are to the fallboard, the less leverage and control you have.

#2238472 - 02/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: corysold
I see many videos of people playing with what appears to be their fingers between the black keys, playing the whites. For the first time this week, I had a sequence that would have required such a technique, but my fingers don't fit between the keys!

I had somewhat large hands, but I don't think abnormally so. It didn't work on my teachers Kawai grand or my Kawai digital. So are all keys roughly the same size, or would this technique work on a different piano? I could press the key between, but I'd have to turn my finger sideways in an awkward way, which is less efficient than just using a different fingering.

So are players really playing between the black keys or is it just an illusion?

What impact would not being able to do this really have on playing various pieces?

Whilst the key widths overall are similar, the black key thickness will vary. Amongst digitals, Kawai seem to have most room between the black keys; definitely an advantage for me although I don`t have one. So if you struggle with a Kawai, you certainly will with anything else.

Bluthner acoustics have even thinner black keys . . .!

""

#2238528 - 02/27/14 02:45 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
I can use my fingers between black keys in my Kawai CA65, it was one of the reasons I got it. Even the thumb! I can't really remember if I had a problem with a CN24, but that should mean that I didn't find it too difficult or I would remember. I think I have "normal" width fingers, but a bit short for somebody playing the piano as I can only do an 8th comfortably.

As others have said it would be easier to try to play the whites right under the black keys, also because you won't need as much strength as you do at the top of the keys. I was told that this is the best place to start, as you can mentally visualise the position of your hands on the keys without looking at the keyboard because the black keys help knowing where you are.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2238752 - 02/27/14 09:54 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
My fingers are fairly large and I was constantly getting 'stuck' between the black keys due to lack of white key space.

So what I did is paint the sides of the black keys white [using whiteout] and now my fingers fit much better.

Works for me smile

#2238841 - 02/28/14 02:59 AM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
DavidGR Offline

Loc: Greece
Hi corysold!

I also had this problem when I first encountered passages that required me to play white keys between the black keys. It turned out that my fingers actually fit, but not when then hand is too flat. So after a lot of very slow practice with fingers curved enough and maybe a tiny bit "sideways" I can play between the black keys and nowadays (around a year later) I don't think about this problem anymore.

Today when I thought about it again after reading your post, I noticed that I can actually feel the adjacent black keys on my finger but as long as I hit the key precisely in the center then they stay up. So, I would suggest that you work on this with you're teacher and you might find a way to make your fingers fit too. Good luck!

#2239389 - 03/01/14 07:26 AM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
kaanguner Offline

I would like to ask a question slightly different.

Are playability in different brands and models of piano different, to what degree?

I have a m-audio keystation 61. It's not ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE. It helps me learn the piano. But at school once in a while I get the chance to play the pianos in music section. I was always playing at this one piano which it's keys were pretty hard, heavy. Then two days earlier i sat two different one and it felt weird. Like my keyboard and the other piano was two intruments and this new piano added as a third to this list.

And, after being played for a long time do the action of the keys change? As in they get heavier or lighter? There is a chance one of the pianos there might be older than the other.

#2239645 - 03/01/14 04:37 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: corysold]
Sweet06 Offline

no, the chance is that those are real pianos and you are learning on a toy with spring loaded keys. Im not familiar with your model, but chances are its spring loaded keys not weighted like they should be to learn piano.

#2239653 - 03/01/14 05:05 PM Re: Are all piano keys the same size? [Re: kaanguner]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: kaanguner
I would like to ask a question slightly different.

Are playability in different brands and models of piano different, to what degree?

I have a m-audio keystation 61. It's not ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE. It helps me learn the piano. But at school once in a while I get the chance to play the pianos in music section. I was always playing at this one piano which it's keys were pretty hard, heavy. Then two days earlier i sat two different one and it felt weird. Like my keyboard and the other piano was two intruments and this new piano added as a third to this list.

And, after being played for a long time do the action of the keys change? As in they get heavier or lighter? There is a chance one of the pianos there might be older than the other.

Yes there will be a large difference between pianos. Pianos need a regular service particularly for tuning, but they also reach a point where they need a major service. As they age wood dries out, springs become less effective and the result becomes noticeable. Here is an interesting post on how many parts are in a piano. All of these parts should be in good condition, but particularly the moving parts are going to effect key weight.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
1 minute 39 seconds ago
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
Today at 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
Today at 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
Today at 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
Today at 07:54 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159984 Topics
2349388 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission