Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2238905 - 02/28/14 07:51 AM KawaiMP.com now online!
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good evening folks,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that MP11 content has been uploaded to www.KawaiMP.com - meaning that the site is now officially online! wink

Please take time to explore the new site - I will be grateful to receive your feedback regarding the content, design, navigation, loading time etc.

And of course, if you have any further queries regarding the MP11 that are not addressed by the website, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

Finally, if you're an active user of Soundcloud, YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter, you can connect with the Kawai MP Series at the following addresses:

www.soundcloud.com/kawaimpseries
www.youtube.com/kawaimpseries
www.facebook.com/kawaimpseries
www.twitter.com/kawaimpseries

That's all for now - have a great weekend!

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2238909 - 02/28/14 07:58 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
And I was just thinking this forum needed something new to kick around.

Neat website. And the board looks awesome! Thanks James.

#2238932 - 02/28/14 08:43 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
It's a beautiful sight, James. Very nicely done. I especially enjoyed reading about and seeing the evolution of the MP stage piano.

Now, let's hope that the MP7 appears soon, and brings with it the same commitment to design and performance as its predecessors!

Play On!
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

#2238934 - 02/28/14 08:51 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Hookxs Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
I like it. I am looking forward to listening to all the demos. By the way, I don't see the demos when going to soundcloud directly, only on your website. This should be fixed I guess.
Off the top of my head I think you might have emphasized these two piano-related features of MP11 which most stage DPs don't have:
- compatible music rest included
- note-off velocity detection (some software pianos take this into account, like Pianoteq or TrueKeys. So when paired with a software instrument, this is where MP11 would have a slight edge over, say, CP4). I realize it's a minor point.

#2238949 - 02/28/14 09:23 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Marcos Daniel Online   content

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
James, excuse me because of my ignorance, but reading the R&D section I noticed that every member of the development team has the word "san" after his name. It is some kind of title in Japanesse? (like master, sir, PhD, or whatever in English)

#2238950 - 02/28/14 09:26 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
QNCLM Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
Is that you in the Wallpaper section, James?

#2238958 - 02/28/14 09:48 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Without his gloves ??? Can't be James then smile

Great site James !!

Edited by Phlox (02/28/14 09:50 AM)

#2238959 - 02/28/14 09:54 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Great site, I put a thumbs up icon to the posting. I would put 10 thumbs up icons inside the posting, but I have just discovered that that icon is broken.

Since you asked for feedback, I find the URL unfortunate for English speakers. The URL is meant to read 'Kawai MP' but the small letters in the URL read 'kawa imp' shocked There are URL redirect techniques, ask your webmaster. A better URL may be 'Kawai Piano MP' and redirect.

Edited by doremi (02/28/14 01:00 PM)

#2238974 - 02/28/14 10:11 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Smaug Online   content

Loc: Zurich
Very nice indeed!

One comment - I'm finding the sound file playback very hit or miss (Windows 7, Chrome and Forefox). Some play, but many just don't start.

#2238978 - 02/28/14 10:26 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Nice. The DP and the site. Very clean and clear.

Yet, again, no digital out or audio over USB. Wonder why this is being ignored by all the major companies.

@KJ: There is a type-o here.. Down by the SKILFUL VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN under key-off noise. "...that is heard when heard...". I don't mean to be picky, but such a nice site deserves the best. smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2238987 - 02/28/14 10:59 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Composer135 Offline

While reading the information about the triple sensor technology, the following question occurred to me: Does the MP11 transmit a note-off velocity according to the readings from the 3 sensors? I.E can one take advantage of the 3 sensors on software sounds via midi? If so, will it improve all the 3 aspects (repetition, legato, release time) as shown on the site on software sounds as well? That is of course given the software piano is designed to handle note-off velocity.

#2239027 - 02/28/14 12:35 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I take it "Stunning Acoustic Pianos" means the MP-11 has simulations thereof. At first I thought it was a link to other Kawai products.

#2239056 - 02/28/14 01:46 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Cool ; nicely done ! Now , take a rest and get yourself a raise ;-)

Makes us wonder what the MP7 introduction will be like. Tease us ! (like with the VPC)

#2239090 - 02/28/14 02:51 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
PianoJames Offline

Loc: Tilburg, Netherlands
Hey KawaiJames,

I really like the 'Kawai MPII: Concert grand - dynamic muse" audio demo.
Do you have the sheets by any chance? I know that it's a original composition.
I am saving money for a MP11!!!

Thank you

, JK

#2239106 - 02/28/14 03:44 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
KawaiJames,
How did you did it, that you are on the wallpaper photos? smile

#2239162 - 02/28/14 05:35 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
KawaiJames
Congratulations on the new site. It looks nice! I have one minor suggestion. On the specifications page, there's an image showing the back of the unit (With the inputs) and an image showing the front/top of it. The images are too small to really see anything other than the dimensions (and I get that that's the point of those images). It would be really nice if those images were zoomable, or if clicking on them let you expand them so that you could easily see what the inputs on the back are (I was able to make them all out, but I had to squint) and see all the parameters on the front/top of the instrument in one go.

Warm Regards.

#2239174 - 02/28/14 06:12 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Good job, very nice site.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2239186 - 02/28/14 06:50 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: PianoJames]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: PianoJames
I am saving money for a MP11!!

You could check out the sheet music to Glassworks - Opening since it sounds very similar.

#2239190 - 02/28/14 06:57 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: HisKidd]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
+1
Originally Posted By: HisKidd
It's a beautiful sight, James. Very nicely done. I especially enjoyed reading about and seeing the evolution of the MP stage piano.

Now, let's hope that the MP7 appears soon, and brings with it the same commitment to design and performance as its predecessors!

Play On!
H.K.

#2239192 - 02/28/14 07:02 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Marcos Daniel]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
I believe it is an honorary suffix akin to "Mr." or "sir".
Originally Posted By: Marcos Daniel
James, excuse me because of my ignorance, but reading the R&D section I noticed that every member of the development team has the word "san" after his name. It is some kind of title in Japanesse? (like master, sir, PhD, or whatever in English)

#2239216 - 02/28/14 08:05 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Great job on the MP site! Is the goal that Kawai will make a hub site for Kawai pianos and then have links to the specific product sites?

I enjoyed hearing what the R&D people had to say about the process.

A quick question although it's slightly OT: what should I use to clean the keys with since the Ivory Touch absorbs moisture? I'm thinking for when I'm using this at the school with kids, it will need to be cleaned often.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2239265 - 02/28/14 09:41 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
9000 Post Club Member

Good morning folks,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback! My colleagues and I worked very hard preparing content for the site, and our web design agency did an excellent job of getting these ideas online.

Please allow me to respond to some of your comments and queries:

Originally Posted By: Hookxs
By the way, I don't see the demos when going to soundcloud directly, only on your website.

Yes, sorry about that. The clips were set to private during the development stage, however they should all be public now, and therefore available directly from the Soundcloud page.

Originally Posted By: Hookxs
Off the top of my head I think you might have emphasized these two piano-related features of MP11 which most stage DPs don't have:
- compatible music rest included
- note-off velocity detection (some software pianos take this into account, like Pianoteq or TrueKeys. So when paired with a software instrument, this is where MP11 would have a slight edge over, say, CP4). I realize it's a minor point.

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree, we ought to explain the music rest in greater detail than just at the bottom of the specs page. I hope to add this in the future. Regarding the note-off velocity detection, that's also a good point, and one I will try to emphasise in the triple-sensor explanation on the 'Touch' page.

Originally Posted By: Marcos Daniel
I noticed that every member of the development team has the word "san" after his name. It is some kind of title in Japanesse? (like master, sir, PhD, or whatever in English)

Good question! Yes, as Jeffrey notes, the -san suffix (or -sama if you're very polite) is a gender-neutral way of addressing or referring to a person, similar to Mr/Mrs. In addition, there is also -kun and -chan, used as an informal suffix to refer to younger males and females respectively (e.g. James-kun or Julie-chan).

Originally Posted By: QNCLM
Is that you in the Wallpaper section, James?
Originally Posted By: Phlox
Without his gloves ??? Can't be James then smile

No comment. wink

Originally Posted By: doremi
I find the URL unfortunate for English speakers. The URL is meant to read 'Kawai MP' but the small letters in the URL read 'kawa imp' shocked

I tried to emphasise the separate 'Kawai' and 'MP' in my initial post, to make the URL easier to 'read'. I hope that the majority of visitors will read the URL as 'kawai mp' not 'kawa imp' (does the latter mean something unpleasant in your area?)

There are URL redirect techniques, ask your webmaster.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't fully understand what you are referring to.

A better URL may be 'Kawai Piano MP' and redirect.

So www.kawaipianomp.com instead of www.kawaimp.com ?

Originally Posted By: Smaug
I'm finding the sound file playback very hit or miss (Windows 7, Chrome and Forefox). Some play, but many just don't start.

Thank you Smaug. We've tested the site on a number of platforms and browsers, and have found that the individual sound file playback works correctly most of the time. The non-playing seems a little random, but usually clicking/touching the icon again starts the sound clip. That being said, I just tried the 'Sound' page on my iPad and all 10 of the Virtual Technician examples played first time, without any problems.

I expect this behaviour may be Flash-related, as a small applet is used just for the sample player. We strived to avoid using any Flash on the website, however for these individual samples, it was considered the most compatible option. I will continue to research HTML5 sample playback, and perhaps switch over in the future.

Ah, the player is indeed HTML5 based, but uses a Flash file as a fall-back for older browsers.

May I ask if anyone else has experienced issues with the individual sample clips?

Originally Posted By: Cmin
@KJ: There is a type-o here.. Down by the SKILFUL VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN under key-off noise. "...that is heard when heard...". I don't mean to be picky, but such a nice site deserves the best. smile

Ah, well-spotted - thank you! I will add it to my list of other fixes (thank you voxpops!)

Originally Posted By: Composer135
Does the MP11 transmit a note-off velocity according to the readings from the 3 sensors?

Yes, I believe all Kawai DPs with triple-sensor keyboard actions send note-off velocity information.

Originally Posted By: Composer135
I.E can one take advantage of the 3 sensors on software sounds via midi? If so, will it improve all the 3 aspects (repetition, legato, release time) as shown on the site on software sounds as well? That is of course given the software piano is designed to handle note-off velocity.

Yes, I believe both Pianoteq and TrueKeys (and maybe others?) take advantage of note-off velocity information. The repetition/legato will improve regardless of the tone generator (hardware or software based), because keys can be re-triggered without the note being released.

Originally Posted By: JFP
Now , take a rest and get yourself a raise ;-)

Yes, a rest would be nice, but I need to continue working on the other half (?) of the site. wink

Originally Posted By: PianoJames

This demo is performed by Ingo Wolfgarten, and I expect it is an original, most likely unscored. However, I will ask my colleagues at Kawai Europe if they can double-check with Ingo himself.

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
I have one minor suggestion. On the specifications page, there's an image showing the back of the unit (With the inputs) and an image showing the front/top of it....It would be really nice if those images were zoomable, or if clicking on them let you expand them so that you could easily see what the inputs on the back are.

That's a great suggestion, thank you fizikisto. I should be able to add a clickable high-resolution pop-out. However, the real-time zoom is beyond my coding ability. I will certainly add this feature to the list for future development, however.

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Is the goal that Kawai will make a hub site for Kawai pianos and then have links to the specific product sites?

I'm reluctant to go into too much detail regarding our future web plans. However, as Kawai transitions away from print-based marketing towards a more modern online/digital approach, I am hopeful that these specific product sites will continue to grow.

The VPC website demonstrated the importance of a strong online presence, especially for relatively niche models that may be difficult to find in dealers' stores. While the MP models arguably appeal to a broader range of players, they are still less commonly stocked than the home-oriented CA/CN models. Therefore it's even more important to provide a strong MP website, with the most detailed information possible.

I enjoyed hearing what the R&D people had to say about the process.

I'm glad! There are some incredibly talented guys working at Kawai, and the interviews page provides a rare opportunity for them to talk openly about their work. I hope to add more interviews with the keyboard/action, sound, and overseas product development guys in the future. It would be nice to add some photos of the team members to this page too...

A quick question although it's slightly OT: what should I use to clean the keys with since the Ivory Touch absorbs moisture? I'm thinking for when I'm using this at the school with kids, it will need to be cleaned often.

A soft cloth, dampened with water, should be fine. Please do not use anything abrasive or any chemical-based cleaners.

Well, I believe that's everything for now!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Cheers,
James
x

#2239285 - 02/28/14 10:29 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Yes, in a nutshell, the former imp-free URL is published on piano forums etc. and clicking on it redirects automatically to the latter URL. This URL redirect takes about 2 to 3 days until the former URL has been propagated to all Internet domain name servers around the world. Thereafter, migrate to the former URL altogether. As to imp

BTW, did you have a chance to ask the project leader where the rubber feet of the MP11 are positioned?

#2239289 - 02/28/14 10:51 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: doremi]
9000 Post Club Member

doremi, thank you for your additional suggestions regarding the website URL.

BTW, did you have a chance to ask the project leader where the rubber feet of the MP11 are positioned?

Ah, yes I did. However I cannot view my office emails at home, unfortunately.
I'll send a message to myself, reminding me to pass this info onto you on Monday.

James
x

#2239307 - 02/28/14 11:30 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, looking forward to Monday!

(Did I really say that, Monday? shocked )

#2239482 - 03/01/14 10:43 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Congrats on the slick website, James.

Is there any particular reason that the MP-5 was omitted from the history page?

Just curious.

#2239486 - 03/01/14 10:48 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: R0B]
9000 Post Club Member

Thank you R0B!

Originally Posted By: R0B

The models shown on the MP11 history page all feature wooden keys, whereas the MP4, MP5, and MP6 utilise plastic keys. They're important instruments too though, so we will certainly be adding those in due course.

Cheers,
James
x

#2239487 - 03/01/14 10:49 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: R0B]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: R0B
Congrats on the slick website, James.

Just curious.

We don't speak of the MP-* . Move along, there is nothing to see here.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2239493 - 03/01/14 11:02 AM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Ah! That makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation, James smile

#2239538 - 03/01/14 01:01 PM Re: KawaiMP.com now online! [Re: Kawai James]
Dwscamel Offline

I am very impressed with the site itself and with the MP11 -- it's the most ambitious board I've seen in a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
10/01/14 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
10/01/14 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
10/01/14 07:38 AM
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
10/01/14 07:07 AM
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
Who's Online
128 registered (anamnesis, ajames, AndresD, amt976, 40 invisible), 1371 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157917 Topics
2319194 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission