2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ok I'm a dummy with this stuff so I'm hoping you guys can help.

So I'm going to get a midi cable, pc to musical keyboard so I can start recording to my laptop, but after that I'm a bit clueless what I need on the PC side of things, what software etc... to make things a little more interesting, or annoying, possibly more complicated or maybe easier; I don't have Windows, I have Linux Zoren as my operating system, any help with software to use and configeration etc would be amazing! Bearing in mind my first sentence, if you reply with computer jargon I'm probably not going to understand much of it, sorry! =]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You may try asking the digital forum, also for feedback. What you need is a software that produces piano sounds when it receives keyboard instructions through the MIDI cable. Pianoteq has a Linux version in addition to Windows/Mac.
https://www.pianoteq.com/try?file=pianoteq_linux_trial_v454.7z

A bit of warning. If you are not an absolute geek, then you may find dealing with these kind of setup a bit daunting especially for Linux. Do you feel comfortable installing drivers in Linux? Do you use the command line often? Are you comfortable with using vi to edit conf files?

Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thank you. 4evrBeginR!

Not a clue about installing drivers, or using the command line.

I'll take a look at the software link after the good nights sleep I'm about to have, and will likely be back with questions!

& sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I'm assuming that when you say "keyboard", you mean some kind of digital piano, or synth, not a "MIDI controller" keyboard.

. . . what keyboard do you have?

You have to be clear about:

. . . Are you recording the _sound_ of your instrument?

That audio signal _may_ be available via USB, or not.

If it's not available over USB, you will need an _audio_ cable from the digital piano's "Line Out" or "Headphone" output, to the computer's "Line In" or "Microphone" input.

You can record the audio signal, on the PC, using "Audacity" (freeware which runs under Linux). You should be able to get a free download easily.

. . . Or are you recording your _keystrokes_ ?

If so, you're recording MIDI information. That will almost certainly come into the computer over USB. REcording MIDI is outside my area of expertise -- go to the "Digital Pianos" forum.

. Charles

PS -- if you check the DP forum, you'll find lots of recording threads.

PPS -- there may be other recording software for Linux. But Audacity works well, and it's not awfully complicated.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ZeeZero, check out the pianoclues website for a very user-friendly and thorough description of recording a digital piano. While there are many sophisticated programs out there, Audacity will do the trick--and it's free. grin

Recording with a digital -- Part 1

Recording with a digital -- Part 2

Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I'm assuming that when you say "keyboard", you mean some kind of digital piano, or synth, not a "MIDI controller" keyboard.

. . . what keyboard do you have?

You have to be clear about:

. . . Are you recording the _sound_ of your instrument?

That audio signal _may_ be available via USB, or not.

If it's not available over USB, you will need an _audio_ cable from the digital piano's "Line Out" or "Headphone" output, to the computer's "Line In" or "Microphone" input.

You can record the audio signal, on the PC, using "Audacity" (freeware which runs under Linux). You should be able to get a free download easily.

. . . Or are you recording your _keystrokes_ ?

If so, you're recording MIDI information. That will almost certainly come into the computer over USB. REcording MIDI is outside my area of expertise -- go to the "Digital Pianos" forum.

. Charles

PS -- if you check the DP forum, you'll find lots of recording threads.

PPS -- there may be other recording software for Linux. But Audacity works well, and it's not awfully complicated.

I have a digital piano, a Yamaha Piaggero NP-31.

Ah, I'd prefer to record the actual audio, I didn't know I could do that without like proper mics set up etc, thank you!

And no USB on the digital piano, so an audio cable from the headphone output into the latop Mic input it is then!

I will check audacity out. My only concern about the software was that I started doing a little reading, and it all got pretty complicated pretty quick, including some programme called JACK which I still don't think I understand properly, but it sounded like some kind of gobetween for different programmes, but anyway hopefully it'll all be nice and simples! =]

Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Monica K.
ZeeZero, check out the pianoclues website for a very user-friendly and thorough description of recording a digital piano. While there are many sophisticated programs out there, Audacity will do the trick--and it's free. grin

Recording with a digital -- Part 1

Recording with a digital -- Part 2

Awesome, having a look now.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . And no USB on the digital piano, so an audio cable from the headphone output into the latop Mic input it is then!

I will check audacity out. My only concern about the software was that I started doing a little reading, and it all got pretty complicated pretty quick, including some programme called JACK which I still don't think I understand properly, but it sounded like some kind of gobetween for different programmes, but anyway hopefully it'll all be nice and simples!

Forget JACK (whatever it is).

Just get a cable from the piano's "Line out" or "headphone" jack, to the PC's "mic" or "Line In" jack.

Audacity is pretty simple to use, and give you good editing features. There may be even simpler Mac-specific software.

. CHarles

PS -- using microphones is a really bad idea. The Piaggero has small, limited-range loudspeakers. You won't be happy with the results. "Direct wiring" is much better.

. Charles
Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ok I've piano connected to laptop, I look in my sound settings under input settings, which is set to internal mic, I'm assuming this is the correct setting as when on it I get what is labeled 'input level' which reacts to my pressing of piano keys, so I'm pretty sure the connection to record is set up, the only thing is I can't hear my piano now. I have no extra headphone line in the piano, plugging headphones into the laptop and setting it to play out of the headphones doesn't work either. So I'm a bit stuck on that really.

I'm try recording anyway without being to hear it as I play, just to see if its actually working in that respect.

EDIT: Recording is working!! I just need to find a way to hear myself playing in the moment.

Last edited by ZeeZero; 03/08/14 07:14 PM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Obvious solution:

. . . Get a "stereo Y-cable" for the piano.

One plug, two jacks. It should cost less than $10 -- try a music store first. Radio Shack probably has them, but they'll be overpriced.

Put the plug into the piano's "Headphone" jack.

Plug the computer "Line In" into one jack, plug headphones into the other jack.

There are other ways (there's probably a "Monitor" setting in Audacity or any other recording software), but that's the easiest way to get started.

. Charles

PS -- I never thought about it, but this is a good reason to have _two_ headphone jacks on a digital piano!<g>

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/09/14 03:35 AM.

. Charles
Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
THANK YOU CHARLES!

I think I will do this, & yeah, when I eventually upgrade my piano, I will be keeping in mind exactly what I want plugged in & the pluggs I'm going to need!

Last edited by ZeeZero; 03/09/14 01:26 PM.
Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Right, I've got my head round audacity, well the basics of recording and the noise removal feature anyway, which seems to work really well!

But I am left with some annoying noise, it's not constant, it follows the notes, but can't be heard on the quieter key strokes, can anyone suggest how to get rid of this aswell? It's not over powering the playing, but I'd like to know how to remove it if I can. Thanks!

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Can you put up a recording on SoundCloud.com ?

It's hard to guess what's wrong, without hearing the sound.

. Charles

. Charles
Z
ZeeZero Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ah it's okay I gave up! I've recorded it & am going post it, weird background noise and all! I don't like it very much, or think it's very good, but I can see playing piano as something I will continue, I really really enjoy it! =]

Now I just gotta find where to post it!

C
C
Here's what you could try: agree

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission