2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
"Perfect" means there is no major or minor state. The 4th, 5th and 8th (octave) all retain the same quality whether in a major or minor scale, or chord.

This seems incomplete to me. The 2nd from the tonic also stays the same whether in a major or minor scale, but we speak of major and minor seconds, not perfect seconds. This is one of the reasons why I prefer my method of looking at counting up or down from the tonic in a major scale and comparing the results, for motivating the distinction between major/minor vs. perfect.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Boots
I'm gonna move this thread over to the Adult Beginners, its just more appropriate there, look for a copy paste. (if I can)...

You can't copy-paste a thread between forums. Once it's posted here, it's here to stay unless a moderator moves it.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Boots, all your examples are exactly correct.

Except for one.

B -> D = Minor 3rd from B Minor Chord B/D/G

B/D/G is a G major chord - B/D/F# is a B minor chord, and if you wanted to continue the pattern on white notes it would be B/D/F, B diminished.

Polyphonist, thanks for that catch.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Meaning, I tell the child this a C, play the C, the child plays it. IN an adult, I say, this is a C, play the C, the adult processes the information, decides on pressure, tension, which finger, which angle, which muscles, and so on. One of the biggest challenges for adult learners, is to maybe turn off, the thought process, and just do!

This is extremely wise, and too many people don't get this. Adults tend to think about what they are told, and essentially they end up interpreting it; what they end up doing is no longer the instruction - it has vanished. If you can turn this around deliberately, you can work miracles.

Unfortunately some modes of teaching want to cater to "adult nature". Since adults "conceptualize", the teaching is abstract and idea-heavy. I believe that adult beginners need to be very heavy in simple, direct experience - they may have to relearn this child-side.
but, I can see, what I want to play (lets say phrase A), I can see it in my mind, i can hear it in my head without even touching the keys, and when I go to physically play it, it all comes out WRONG. And the student says, but I am an intelligent smart person, why can I not simply play this? the resulting frustrating can boggle the mind.

Absolutely. This is where I came in with "strategy" - where the task is broken down into smaller tasks, which the student CAN handle. Over days, as you layer in each thing, you end up with a beautiful piece of music. There are teachers who understand this. Here you come to your "Just Do" --- if a teacher gives "simple activity 1", then "simple activity 2", but the student insists on doing the complicated full picture he sees, then the student simply won't experience this.

B
Boots Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here's a piece i learnt a few years ago, and I'm re-viving it, because I LOVE the piece. Maybe Merodiene or someone can flag it on grade, I'm thinking 3 - 4.

The piece is called Cristofori's Dream composed by David Lanz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mgrcULIbs

Before this piece as an example, I had never done arpeggios. But there are 2 very very brief passages in the later half of the piece that uses them, so I learnt them. Its kinda like learning on demand. Its only a 2 octave C Maj. and 2 octave D Maj. When I played this for my teacher at the time, she exclaimed..."excellent", but her outburst, made me loose my concentration LOLOL. I didn't know it was anything special or important. I learned it as notes on a page.

So...do you need arpeggios for the piece, sure, did I practice them specifically for the piece...yes. because my fingers had to move like that handn't before.

I dunno if that makes sense.

I swam the sea of negativity,
I've crossed the bridges of despair;
I built an island of hope,
And I breathed the fresh air.
- Martin Dan (2010)
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I'm gonna move this thread over to the Adult Beginners, its just more appropriate there, look for a copy paste. (if I can)...

You can't copy-paste a thread between forums. Once it's posted here, it's here to stay unless a moderator moves it.

Just start a topic in the ABF and/or hitchhike an existing thread that talks about one of your concerns. You can link to this thread in case anyone wants to read what's here. But with mostly new people, maybe fresh input from scratch would be good.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The theory discussion has moved to the ABF: Here

M
M
Morodiene:

IN which case would you favor notating one over the other. If the net result is the same tone, the key signature remains true at C Maj. Is there a more correct answer between the two, and why? Perhaps its dependent on the composer's mood at that moment? Just a thought..?

It usually depends on the notes around it. If you are in the key of E-flat major where you have a B-flat occurring in the key signature, and in that measure or the note previous to the C-Cb or C-B interval, you may want to choose Cb over B natural to avoid confusion. Also, since you are going from Bb to Cb/Bnatural, the sound goes up melodically, so you want the notation to reflect an upward motion of notes. So the notes and key signature come into consideration. However, there is no right or wrong I think. It's only wrong if you call C-Cb a major 7th.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission