2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 312 of 540 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
AOTW is that my teacher has blessed me starting Liebesträume No. 3. Gulp! This will definitely be the hardest piece technically I'll have done. Not the main theme - that will be "new" for me keeping a melody shared between the left and right hands. But voicing won't be much different from the Tchaikovsky October.
But those Cadenzas? Yikes!

:-) that is a VERY nice piece. the cadenzas are indeed way easier than what they look and sound like... the central part, where you have the melody in octaves and the ornamentation in the middle... that is another story.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Briansaddleback- I know what you're talking about with having to sustain a note while you play Others...(I had to read the paragraph twice before it sunk in, but hey, it is early here smile ) I find that as I progress I notice more and more detail quicker - it is a comforting sign of progress!

JimF - that's a very nifty accomplishment! Good luck with taking it farther!

Jonathan D - Good beginning!

Andy I had to look up Love's Dream -wow. That's a gorgeous piece! I can't wait to hear you play it!

N17 - getting set up with a new teacher is indeed an achievement - a building block for the ones to come! Sounds like you're off to a very good start!

I had a good lesson this week too - nothing spectacular but I feel back on track. I'm having fun Learning my part of a Diabelli duet and I hope that next week I'll be ready to play it with my teacher, and hear what the whole thing sounds like together!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
My Hungarian Period

LOL Andy, that cracked me up. laugh

Can't wait to hear your Liebestraum 3. Another piece that has been on my "please, please, someday" list since day one. Great fun as always watching your rapid ascent through the literature.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Today is my PW anniversary smile lol - 4 years of membership and fellowship!

[Linked Image]

W
W
congrats casinitaly!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Happy Anniversary CasinItaly

Welcome to the new people to the thread.

Week 103: The songwriting Coursera ramps up to swallow up most of the week. The lectures double in length. The quizzes are twice as hard. The assignment is four times as much work. After four weeks of focusing on the beginning of a song, the assignment is to start a new song from scratch. We are asked to find a new song idea, develop a story, write the full song lyrics, compose matching music (or use one of the music loops provided), record the song with music and vocals. Turn in the storyboard, a rhyme scheme worksheet, and upload the recording with vocals.

My song about pancakes was coming along nicely, but goes to the back burner. Someone on the Coursera songwriting forum suggests using book titles for song titles. Using that process, I find the book Looking for Alaska, which I twist to Looking to Alaska. The new song is moving along quickly, but the list of tasks to complete is daunting. I have no idea how any of the true beginners (which is probably more than half the participants) are going to get it all done. I can see how Berklee music students do it, because unlike the Coursera participants, most Berklee students are pretty good musicians and singers.

I attend the church coffee house night. One of the performers cancels because of blocked roads due to rain. I volunteer to be a last minute fill in. Yikes. I spend a few minutes warming up on whistle and flute to get my set together. I don't have that luxury with the piano. I open with my Pancake song on the Kimball grand piano. Bad idea. I haven't finished writing it yet, much less having it performance ready. I choose it because I have spent more hours on that than anything else for the past month.

The train comes off the rails, but the cars don't flip over. I manage to get to the end after a lot of missed notes. I keep going despite some horrible sounding wrong notes. The audience doesn't know for sure that those are the wrong notes, perhaps dissonance is the effect I am after. But I know they are mistakes. I keep going, wanting to hide, but thinking to find a way to the end. I redeem myself with two tunes on whistle and one on Irish flute.

Despite maybe one hour of practice on wind instruments in the past month, the performances are pretty good. The sound man gets some credit. No, I am not that good on those instruments, but I have a couple of goto tunes that I can rattle off when there is a need.

For the Coursera I will do what I always tell others to do. I will follow the process, make a good effort and let the chips fall where they may. I am Looking to Alaska.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@casinitaly, aren't you a week early? Wasn't there to witness of course but the forum says registered since march 3. wink
Congratulations anyway!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano
@casinitaly, aren't you a week early? Wasn't there to witness of course but the forum says registered since march 3. wink
Congratulations anyway!

Hey wim-
When would I celebrate my registration?

Learner

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Congratulations anyway!

Thanks - and no, I'm not early smile Maybe you haveprofile set to show American style and numbers only ?- my set up shows very clearly "registered Monday March 01 2010". smile

Malkin - just look at any post you make and under your name and avatar you can see the date you registered.

[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations casinitaly - four candles on the cake - your just a kid

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
In terms of internet forums, that is a long time! congratulations casinitaly.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cas- I was just pointing out that if you registered on March 3 then I must have registered on the 4th day of the 18th month--whatever that would be!

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher asked if I was teaching anyone piano. I said no. He said I am ready to teach. I won't but I'll take that as an achievement of the week :-)

Be yourself

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Tubbie good for you! I think piano comes to you easier since you are already accomplished string player in addition to your natural talent.

I'm here sipping wine and basically celebrating today. Yes! My recital is just over and I played my pieces well (for me). I was not concerned about Bach because its my strength. But I played the nocturne much better than I played for lesson, studio class or at home. I knew it was only half way cooked product. Honestly I am still learning how to play this. Because of the forum recital I picked to the piece in January. I picked the easiest nocturne of all the nocturnes Chopin composed and still had the trouble trying to make it sound good. Today I just decided to forget all about it and focus on playing as musical as I can. The sight of audiences helped. I get super excited when I see people watching me. I totally got into the piece. Enjoyed playing through it rocking with the emotion contained in the piece. After the recital I was ready to celebrate but it was too late so I just came home. Wine tastes super good tonight.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Malkin---sorry, I didn't get the joke! A belated chuckle !
EarlofMar: Imagine how well I'll play when I'm a "teenager" smile
Briansaddlepack : actually folks really do stick around here - there are some like MonicaK and Mr. Superhunky who have been around since 2005!

Tubbie- that's a wonderful compliment from your teacher!

FarmGirl - that's one of the best accomplishments you could hope for! Being in that "zone" in front of an audience and keeping the nerves under control. CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy that wine!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Tubbie good for you! I think piano comes to you easier since you are already accomplished string player in addition to your natural talent.

Actually it was 5 years after I dropped out of piano classes when I studied the violin. So it's really piano that helped me with my violin. Then when I studied the piano again, the violin helped my piano back :-) I know I am not ready to teach anyone really... well maybe beginners?

Congrats on your recital. It is nerve wrecking playing in front of people. And to do that while you can still focus on the music and enjoy it is really really hard! An accomplishment indeed :-)

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats to you all! Anniversary, compliment from the teacher, recital, improving... Well done!

For me my main achievement is getting a bit more comfortable with the red dot. I'm following your advise and recording my practices so there is no pressure. I make a lot of mistakes, of course, but knowing that I can just delete the recording without the pressure of a deadline makes it much easier.

I'm also going to start keeping the pieces when I am happy enough with them and start making my own cd compilations. It will be good to see my improvement when I play them again in a couple years time.

I bought a couple of easy piano books from the 80's! Funny to play hits from my teenager years grin

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My AOTW is completing the tough week end. During the spring season, my music calendar is crazy for weekend usually starting from Thursday on top of my regular busy work days. I performed Bach f minor prelude from the book I of WTC and Chopin Nocturne Op 15 #3 for the Phoenix piano club on Thursday (well… it went just oookay) , for my community college recital (went well) on Saturday night (which I talked about on Sat while drinking wine). I went to Opera (season ticket) on Friday night and monthly Sunday classic meeting (local chamber music and other ensemble group) on Sunday after I sang two services for my church on Sunday. Glad completing every thing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"I bought a couple of easy piano books from the 80's! Funny to play hits from my teenager years grin"

The 80`s imo had the finest popular music ever written. Classical pop I`d call it; the musicianship was exceptional. SO much good stuff to get your hands on, here. It was a bit after my time though. Well, maybe a lot after my . . . . cool

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I"m writing this to possibly help others.
It's to let you know that you can have your cake and eat it too. I'm very excited!

I sadly left my old local teacher. I loved her. I couldn't take that music store environment. Someone too often paying close attention to what we were doing. At the very least, distracting to me. Was a major distraction to her also.

I went looking for a teacher online. Found some that I really liked. Still felt a little like Goldilocks. Just not quite right.

Then, on Saturday I had a free introductory lesson with a man. I was overwhelmed. I won't go into details. Lets just say I now Have my Cake and am Eating it Too. This is possible if you look hard enough.

Last edited by rnaple; 03/03/14 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 312 of 540 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission