Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2243456 - 03/09/14 05:11 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

I crashed my car into a bridge. And I don`t care . . .I love it

""

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2243463 - 03/09/14 05:35 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: peterws]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: peterws
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

Peter, that's quite inspiration to a gal who takes her flubs all too seriously. Wise words - you are having GREAT fun - I can't wait to hear your piece!

#2243541 - 03/09/14 10:54 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: peterws]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? ...

Practice grin

#2243615 - 03/09/14 01:06 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: peterws]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains

Gee... I hope that everybody will turn out music. Yes, there are those who will listen and think this or that on technical viewpoints. Making music is what it's all about. I know you're good at doing that. Know I'll enjoy what you do.

Strange how those bridges jump out in front of cars. Darn things can't sit still!

Even though there is no way I could do the original of my piece. I was taking it above my simplified version. I got cut back by my teacher. This is not good for my development physiologically. Need to take that incrementally. Everything from my coach verifies this. So I'll be turning out my simplified version that is on the side of musical. Trying to capture the intent, the "stop and smell the roses" of the melody. Trying to make it enjoyable. Not just another bland copy that you people have to tolerate listening to. Hope to get it out sometime today.

#2244242 - 03/10/14 12:31 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Gladiolus Rag is fine (~10 mins a day since 12/1!). I just received my video Recorder Zoom Q2HD

Here's my question... will the instructions in the thread for the Zoom H4 work with this?

Is there a better thread to look at. I have done NOTHING with the recorder at this point.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2244504 - 03/10/14 11:05 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm in!

#2244827 - 03/11/14 04:28 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
S.K. Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Whew, I am in too. With Whizbang and Sam S' help I succeeded
in submitting "The Cascades A Rag". Thanks!

#2244923 - 03/11/14 07:45 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AudreyJean Offline

Loc: Beaver island, Michigan
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

#2244927 - 03/11/14 07:51 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: AudreyJean]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AudreyJean
I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world.

That's great news! I have to say I'm going to enjoy listening a recording with imperfect audio quality a hundred times more than not being able to listen to a performance at all. Looking forward to it.

Check that you're going to be able to get the audio off your iPad and that the format is .mp3 or can be converted to .mp3.

Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

The first time I tried to record a video, something about the audio encoding meant that it wouldn't line up with the video I took. For something that's supposed to be easy, technology companies sure can make it difficult.

EDIT: ...aaand I should learn to read.
It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files.

Edited by Whizbang (03/11/14 07:53 PM)

#2244939 - 03/11/14 08:12 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AudreyJean Offline

Thanks, Whizbang!

#2244981 - 03/11/14 09:08 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
So...I thought I would have time to get this done, except we found our dream house and my piano has been in storage for a few weeks while we move! I will have my done, but not by the deadline at all. I hope it's okay if I can put them up afterwards! I'm really upset about not making the deadline since I've had so much fun and absolutely fallen in love with Joplin as a result of this.

#2244998 - 03/11/14 09:57 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's a promise, Anne. Hope to see Bink's up on the piano bar or at an ABF general recital soon!

#2245164 - 03/12/14 02:54 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: AudreyJean]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works!

And Apple came to the rescue smile

Yes the sound quality of the iPad recording is not great but not too bad either. I use it all the time for my acoustic. To record my (very basic) digital piano I use a simple USB cable to connect it to my computer.

#2245167 - 03/12/14 03:12 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Today`s the day . . .bit o` outdoor painting to do (sunny at the moment, right time of year) and then, well, keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

""

#2245172 - 03/12/14 03:52 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: peterws]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

Under no circumstances keep your fingers crossed while playing ragtime.

#2245353 - 03/12/14 01:02 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.

#2245375 - 03/12/14 01:53 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.

Read this:

Crush, Texas
Exercises

#2245379 - 03/12/14 02:00 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Both my pieces are in and a quick glance at the list of players already up tells me I'm really going to enjoy this.

Thank you so much, Whizbang, for all you've done for us on this. I've had a real blast working up these pieces.

#2245511 - 03/12/14 05:57 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My second is in too; It`ll have to do, I ain`t doin` it again, not yet anyway. Needs a bit of tweaking now . . .but I like to think I`m getting there. . . my thanks to the organizer(s) without which I probably wouldn`t even be bothered playing again . .

""

#2245545 - 03/12/14 07:15 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AudreyJean Offline

yea, hooray, huzzah, ecstasy and joy, I am in. Am listening (and occasionally wincing) to my submission as I type. This was such fun. I've never done anything like this before. What a pleasure it will be to listen to everybody's submissions and know that we were all working on our pieces for the past few months, and all devoting our time and energies to Scott Joplin. Oh oh, think I'm speeding up towards the end. Probably am so excited at finally getting through a recording with only a few clinkers that I am hurrying to get it over with before a big mistake can catch up with me.

#2245574 - 03/12/14 08:27 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Quote:

Yep, just listened to it ... I could easily turn the intro into a train wreck cry ... glad your teacher is taking it on.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2245599 - 03/12/14 09:09 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I just noticed the midnight eastern turn in time..whew!!

Not that it'll make this sound better hehehe

#2245629 - 03/12/14 09:55 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
rnaple Offline

I got it up.
Not too crazy about it. Might very well redo it. Went through so much to get it converted and available for upload. Actually rerecorded it in another DAW. I just had to get it done.

Edited by rnaple (03/13/14 01:12 AM)
Edit Reason: success

#2245714 - 03/13/14 01:32 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: AudreyJean]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.
First time for me to record anything using midi and computer and had the most difficult time in the world.

I also have a midi to USB converter. Plugged properly into piano and into computer.
Downloaded Audacity.

For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

So I downloaded Red Dot Forever. It took whatever I played into MIDI format but the software doesnt interpret a lot of things so different dynamics doesnt register so everything sounds like I spike the keys instead of a nice flowing legato or something.

Now I have to figure out how to convert the MIDI file into MP3 and then from there..
how to upload the MP3 to the site.

Hope those latter steps are not as hard as the first step.

I am not even ready to record my piece either.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2245717 - 03/13/14 01:43 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: briansaddleback]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: briansaddleback
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. ... Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.

You people should ask in the Digital Piano Forum. Lots of great experience there to help.

#2246068 - 03/13/14 05:17 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

Having the same issue.
For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

#2246078 - 03/13/14 05:49 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Greener]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Originally Posted By: Greener

Having the same issue.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

Thanks I tried all sorts of stuff to get audacity to recognize the usb/midi driver from the drop downs and from preferences. Tried reloading a new driver from device manager and s o forth.

I actually downloaded another program which is Anvil and it works great.
It is more robust than the red dot forever and recognizes nuances of the note played so I will be using this

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2246150 - 03/13/14 07:55 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: briansaddleback]
AudreyJean Offline

Thanks Ron and Greener.

#2246318 - 03/14/14 02:43 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
dpaws Offline

"Something Doing" is submitted. Nothing like the last minute. I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. If by a miracle I pull off a better recording tomorrow, I might replace it, but it'd take a miracle. Anyway, it's 2:45am right now and I need to go to bed... tired

XXXV

#2246324 - 03/14/14 03:12 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. "

And so say all of us . . .That`s life!

""

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai KG-2e
by Jennymomofboys
39 seconds ago
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 07:21 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (anotherscott, angga888, AmateurBob, 25 invisible), 1203 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158394 Topics
2325911 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission