Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
117 registered (Auver, Alux, ando, 36251, anamnesis, 27 invisible), 1511 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2246501 - 03/14/14 12:06 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Tomorrow`s the Day! Arte they in some logical order? Jus` wonderin` . . .

""

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2246504 - 03/14/14 12:09 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
The recital software posts them in the order they were submitted.

So I may be last laugh

This afternoon is do or do, no?

So Original Rags will be what it is. I have a lunch hour gig as a warm-up.

Cathy

#2246526 - 03/14/14 01:11 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

This afternoon is do or do, no?Cathy

Right... the recital will close in about 11 hours, at which point there is no way to accept new entries.

After that, I'll have a few hours of work--possibly more since I'm not a seasoned pro like Monica--and with any luck the recital will be live by tomorrow.

#2246532 - 03/14/14 01:29 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Whizbang

This afternoon is do or do, no?Cathy

Right... the recital will close in about 11 hours, at which point there is no way to accept new entries.

After that, I'll have a few hours of work--possibly more since I'm not a seasoned pro like Monica--and with any luck the recital will be live by tomorrow.

I'll check when I get up in the morning and sticky the thread/s so that the Joplin Recital gets "top billing" for a bit.
I am really looking forward to hearing all the submissions!

#2246586 - 03/14/14 03:33 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Working on getting a recording today. No use practicing . as practice for me only manifests in any results the next day at earliest.

Playing it faster or slower , trying all sorts of recordings. I might break it up into two or three parts. Hope that isnt considered cheating. Not going to edit anything as that defeats the point of a recital but hoefully stopping to record another part at a more prepared or time is not hurtful to the intent of the recital.

it is going to be whatever it is. just a submission of a work done.
I dont know what it is, but I had a huge mental block with this piece. Preparation for this piece was more than usual but never seen before where preparation did not produce any worked-on results. It is a big learning curve for me, and hopefully I can move past this and be able to take the next step at being a 'pianist' by overcoming these mental blocks on a more regular basis. thanks

Edited by briansaddleback (03/14/14 03:37 PM)

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2246588 - 03/14/14 03:37 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Playagain Offline

Thanks so much for all your work on this, Whizbang! I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's submissions. It's so nice your teacher contributed a piece, too.

This had been a great way to really work on a piece that I otherwise wouldn't have worked on, and a fun way to learn more about Scott Joplin's ragtime. I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

Thanks, Whizbang, and all the contributors!
Kathy

#2246592 - 03/14/14 03:43 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Woo hoo!!! I'm in!! Many thanks to SAM S and SwissMs for the help on figuring out my new Zoom Q2HD (I received the device on Tuesday, downloaded Audacity on Wednesday, spent yesterday trying to figure it out, and this morning getting 'takes'. The last take was the best, even with the occasional brain fart.

I'm really looking forward to becoming proficient with Audacity.

This recital is sort of like therapy for me... facing the fear of playing for others.

Really looking forward to hearing the submissions!

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2246600 - 03/14/14 03:55 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: briansaddleback]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Brian, a few other folks have recorded in sections and, given that that's the way most professional recordings are often done nowadays, I don't see any issue with it. It's not like any of us are likely to have a staff of audio engineers to fabricate a performance out of whole cloth.

Note that you'll have to stitch the sections yourself. If you update the recording, it replaces the current version, so you can't upload a section at a time.

#2246603 - 03/14/14 04:01 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
briansaddleback Offline

Brian, a few other folks have recorded in sections and, given that that's the way most professional recordings are often done nowadays, I don't see any issue with it. It's not like any of us are likely to have a staff of audio engineers to fabricate a performance out of whole cloth.

Note that you'll have to stitch the sections yourself. If you update the recording, it replaces the current version, so you can't upload a section at a time.

OK Thanks. I wasn't sure of the 'mission statement' of the recital, thought perhaps we were to treat it as a traditional recital where you record once through and there you have it.

Yes, I will be uploading one time, but will be recording parts ABCD all in four different sections on my software. Record, stop, take a breather, record , stop, etc. save it to mp3 and then upload.

Minstrels

#2246607 - 03/14/14 04:08 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Playagain]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Playagain
I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

"The Easy Winners" is a great piece.

#2246608 - 03/14/14 04:08 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: woodog]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: woodog
This recital is sort of like therapy for me... facing the fear of playing for others

I hear ya!

#2246610 - 03/14/14 04:10 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
briansaddleback Offline

Originally Posted By: Playagain
I'm already starting on my next Joplin piece--The Easy Winners. smile

"The Easy Winners" is a great piece.

Definitely a great piece. Not easy as it looks . Especially the C section which ,depending on how quick you want to play it, you need to have real experienced and nimble fingers to play , if using the original key for the piece.

Minstrels

#2246667 - 03/14/14 06:18 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: briansaddleback]
Playagain Offline

Thanks, Whizbang and Brianssaddleback!
Yes, it is a great piece. I know--these pieces seem to be harder than they look!

The D section is hard because the octaves-plus-note chords are a handful to play smoothly. It's slow going for now.

Also, I'm trying to make the thirds in the first section clearer. I think it's my 4th finger being weaker that I notice that it doesn't sound clear when I play it a little faster--working on that, or maybe it's my timing on those. smile But fun!

Maybe I'll try to record it for an upcoming recital. If I have a goal, I always seem to learn something better. smile

Kathy

#2246692 - 03/14/14 07:07 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AudreyJean Offline

Loc: Beaver island, Michigan
I'm getting excited about hearing everybody! The group project aspect added a big measure of enjoyment to learning my rag (searchlight). This will be a fun weekend.

#2246705 - 03/14/14 07:42 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
briansaddleback Offline

Got it in. whew. Feels like a big lead weight off my back literally. I will submit again I have to keep tackling this to overcome failures and become reasonably successful one day.

Minstrels

#2246717 - 03/14/14 08:37 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Original Rags is in smile

Any one else a contender for last place? laugh

Cathy

#2246725 - 03/14/14 08:59 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

And now I have both of the last places! I was so disgusted with my Bethena that I re-recorded. Take that, red dot! It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music. Shades of the first Joplin piece I submitted to the quarterly recitals. But I'll take it.

So now I'm going to go read a book, and see if I can keep my tongue from hanging out for this recital smile

Happy ragtime, everyone!

Cathy

#2246729 - 03/14/14 09:08 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
And now I have both of the last places! ...Happy ragtime, everyone!

Gee... I thought the computer the receiving software is on would be pretty hot by about now?

I really do wish I would have done a better job on my simple piece. I'm guessing everyone feels that way?
I should have started recording a month ago.
I still very much enjoyed it.
Already fooling around with Solace. ... Doh!... smile

#2246745 - 03/14/14 09:46 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: rnaple]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I really do wish I would have done a better job on my simple piece. I'm guessing everyone feels that way?

Why yes, yes they do smile

All Joplin is a work in progress, I think. I, too, am hoping there's a couple more out there, going down to the wire. No pressure! Really! But I want more Joplin!

Cathy

#2246764 - 03/14/14 10:20 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music.
Love that description!

Looking forward to hearing all these.

#2246795 - 03/15/14 12:09 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Yea AimeeO!

Cathy

#2246803 - 03/15/14 12:39 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am officially closing the recital and expect to have results for you tomorrow!

#2246805 - 03/15/14 01:01 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Ha! Most. Error-Filled. Recording. Ever. And the third section has me banging out of frustration! I forgot to not use this one!

#2246806 - 03/15/14 01:04 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Omg I just listened to it and the second half is completely wrecked - I wholly apologize to anyone who loves this piece. I might have to do a redemption recording for a quarterly recital.

Edited by AimeeO (03/15/14 01:04 AM)

#2246814 - 03/15/14 02:30 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: AimeeO]
briansaddleback Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Omg I just listened to it and the second half is completely wrecked - I wholly apologize to anyone who loves this piece. I might have to do a redemption recording for a quarterly recital.

No worries. We all succeeded in submitting something that we all worked on past few weeks months. Whatever we submitted including all errors and whatever wreckage (you should here mine) is all behind us and let us cheer on the success of not quitting and learning for the future recital. We only can get better and better. That is the celebration here.
I for one thought repeatedly about quitting and not submitting anything. That would have been the real wreckage..if we did. We fought and submitted something.

Minstrels

#2246815 - 03/15/14 02:45 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AudreyJean Offline

Loc: Beaver island, Michigan
Yes, what Brian said! We all did it. I will be listening with pleasure, not to criticize. We are a forum of adults either fairly new to the piano or picking up where we left off years ago, not professionals. There is much joy in what we are doing.

#2246828 - 03/15/14 04:35 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
This is gonna be a lot o` FUN!! Jopl;in`s fun to begin with; that`s why he was popular, and still is.

""

#2246836 - 03/15/14 05:42 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
All Joplin is a work in progress

True!

Quote:
It has some sloppier places than the first one, but it has a *lot* more music.

That was my dilemma - the recording I did yesterday was definitely more musical but sloppiness was too apparent so I stuck with an earlier one with fewer errors.

#2246851 - 03/15/14 06:51 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: dire tonic]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

I've enjoyed hearing you guys ham around about this event since it began and especially this last week ... really looking forward to listening to everybody play no matter what shape it's in ... reminds me a lot of team camaraderie.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2246855 - 03/15/14 07:34 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I just got up. Needing to get to work.
I see it is no easy task posting the recital. Appreciate your efforts Whizbang. Appreciate your putting on this recital.
Hopefully when I get home. Will be able to listen to everyone's work.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's recording. Mine is at the bottom, definitely. Everyone else. It all comes down to a reason to work on this music. It's always been good stuff. Ever since I was a kid and listened to Marvin Hamlish's work in The Sting. I still think he did a beautiful job. Joplin has had my interest ever since then. It's all about working on something that you love. That's where the motivation comes from to play piano well.

For me personally. This recital came along at a time when I was literally banging my head against the wall trying to play both hands. This piece helped me tremendously to break through that wall. Yes in all joking....it's all Whizbang's fault. I'm very thankful to Joplin and this recital.
Now my teacher tells me that difficulty will always be there. He plays at an extremely high level. Showed me something he plays now in left hand and has difficulty getting the right hand. This is a guy who threw several Rag's at me. Even played Maple Leaf too fast just for an example. Just off the top of his head! Geesh... It all comes down to what he advises me. The only reason you won't drop a piece is that you love it.

I hope those who didn't get their piece in by last night. That they would post them in the quarterly recital.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77390 Members
42 Forums
160046 Topics
2350299 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission