Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2240859 - 03/03/14 06:16 PM Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret?
Dan1833 Offline

I moved to the states last summer from the UK and sadly I had to leave my gear behind. I had been borrowing an old yamaha keyboard while I looked for decent stage piano, and made the decision to order the Nord Piano 2.

Here's the thing, I really liked the tone when I listened to the examples on the nord website, but when I tried the Nord stage 2 in store I hated it because of the action and the sound wasn't great either. I'm hoping that I'll prefer the Nord piano action and it'll sound good through better speakers, but if not I'm thinking of either the Roland RD700NX or the Kawai MP11.

How do you think the Nord Piano 2 compares (tone and action) vs the Roland RD700NX with Ivory 2 software?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2240884 - 03/03/14 07:06 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Welcome to the expats club, Dan!

I have owned the Nord Piano (twice!). I never developed much love for that action. However, with the Fazioli, Bosendorfer and Yamaha Bright Grand loaded, it really sings. Top octave or so is a little weak, but those three sample sets are superlative otherwise.

The Rolands have a very well matched action and sound engine, plus the lack of stretching, full resonance, natural decay, and smooth layer transitions make for a well-rounded machine. They can get a little lost in a mix, due to the rather dark timbre. I don't know how it'd fare with Ivory 2, but can't imagine there would be an issue with a fast PC. The MP11 sounds like a winner - if you can manage 70lbs.

#2240897 - 03/03/14 07:35 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
In terms of sound quality, Nords are up there with the very best - largely due to their ability to download a large variety of different samples.

The control interface of Nord instruments is also excellent, especially for live use. And due to their compact size and relatively low weight, Nord instruments are very popular with gigging musicians.

However, if the instrument is to be kept in one place, and you're coming from an acoustic piano background, I would recommend a Roland, Yamaha, or Kawai instrument based on the quality of the keyboard action.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2241088 - 03/04/14 05:12 AM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
phunqe Offline

If you value action, I would also fully recommend the MP11.

#2241115 - 03/04/14 07:20 AM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
I have a Nord Stage 2, which has a very similar action to the Nord Piano. I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like the action on the Nord. The action is much lighter than my venerable Yamaha P250 and my folk's upright Gulbransen piano, so I actually had a period of adjustment for a couple of weeks where I had a bit of buyer's remorse. So my first impression of the action wasn't all that positive. But what I found as I continued playing it was that it really grew on me. It's fantastically responsive and connects to the sound very well. And the sounds are among the best that you can get on any DP. And it has the advantage that it can load in new samples as Clavia/Nord produces them. In fact, they just recently gave us a new lovely upright sample set, and a few really nice new EP's (I love the new Wurly, but haven't downloaded the others yet).

So, my advice is to give it a few weeks and see if it doesn't grow on you too. It just might. And if it doesn't, well if Ebay is any guide, nords keep their resale value pretty well. smile

Warm Regards

#2241238 - 03/04/14 12:01 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I think Nords are overhyped. They are red, designed in Sweden, not cheap, used by professionals all over the world, they are made with love and wisdom, etc. They must be pretty good! But each time I try a Nord piano I am very disappointed. There's something wrong with the keyboard, velocity mapping and the piano sound. I really want to like them... Even now that I am writing this, I think I may be missing something. I need to try again.

#2241327 - 03/04/14 02:50 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: fizikisto]
skantner Offline

I would agree with this sentiment too. I find I'm pretty fussy about the action, and prefer a good ole' acoustic grand (Bosendorfer) whenver possible, but I play a Nord Stage 2 every week in live performance, and I find it very pleasing.

//Scott

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
I have a Nord Stage 2, which has a very similar action to the Nord Piano. I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like the action on the Nord. The action is much lighter than my venerable Yamaha P250 and my folk's upright Gulbransen piano, so I actually had a period of adjustment for a couple of weeks where I had a bit of buyer's remorse. So my first impression of the action wasn't all that positive. But what I found as I continued playing it was that it really grew on me. It's fantastically responsive and connects to the sound very well. And the sounds are among the best that you can get on any DP. And it has the advantage that it can load in new samples as Clavia/Nord produces them. In fact, they just recently gave us a new lovely upright sample set, and a few really nice new EP's (I love the new Wurly, but haven't downloaded the others yet).

So, my advice is to give it a few weeks and see if it doesn't grow on you too. It just might. And if it doesn't, well if Ebay is any guide, nords keep their resale value pretty well. smile

Warm Regards

#2241564 - 03/04/14 11:11 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dan,

I have owned 2 Nord Pianos-the original NP88 and now the NP2. These keyboards are not the best choice IMHO for a stay-at-home acoustic piano replacement. They are, however, damn good gigging boards because of the size, weight, quality of samples, variety of samples, intuitive UI, flexible storage, and several other reasons. The samples Nord has also happen to record extremely well.

If you were not happy with the Stage 2 action, you probably won't be satisfied with the NP2 action either. They're the same Fatar action it's just the NS2 has aftertouch for synth work (nothing to do with piano playing) while the NP2 does not have aftertouch.

I have not played the MP11 but I have played the CP4, RD800, RD700NX, and all other top end DPs and I would most definitely go with the MP11 if the MP10 was anything to go by. By far the best action in a slab DP IMHO. What are your intentions?

Live use: Nord FTW.
Home use: MP11/VPC1/MP10 FTW.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2241576 - 03/04/14 11:32 PM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: PianoZac]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi, Zac:

It's been a while since I have seen your posts in the forum but am glad to see you are trying out some different digitals. The Nord Piano 2 has a lot of choices in their samples libraries.

The current DP's that I now own include:

1) Roland V-Piano
2) Clavinova CLP-480
3) Clavinova CLP-990*
4) Kawai EP3

*Extra note:

The CLP-990M (in Mahogany finish) was a difficult to locate discontinued model dating from 2001 and I was able to purchase it through a private seller located in New York and had it shipped over 750 miles to my house several states away.

Both Clavinova's are nice digitals due to their powerful speaker systems although I happen to like the authenticity of just the piano sounds in the older CLP-990 along with the decent weighted solid wooden keys.

And, the V-Piano has just about the best sustain, decay, and wide dynamic range in the keyboard response compared to any digital out there. It has a lot to offer the player.

#2242037 - 03/06/14 04:15 AM Re: Just ordered Nord Piano 2, should i regret? [Re: Dan1833]
Dan_Raven Offline

A problem of the Nord's hammer action is that they are supposed to be a compromise to play dynamic sounds like piano and non-dynamic sounds like organ. The fact is that I just recently played a Nord Electro 4 HP which is twice as expensive as my Kawai MP6, but wasn't satisfying for playing either organ or piano. I think it is more reasonable to buy a Nord with semi-weighted action and another board with a very good hammer action.

And by the way, except for the weight I wouldn't trade my MP6 for another DP. So you might consider waiting for the probably soon upcoming MP6 successor and buying it. It will save a lot of money :-)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, accordeur, adrpiano, aesop, 32 invisible), 1482 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318955 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission