Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2239481 - 03/01/14 10:43 AM ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Adult Beginners and Beyond Scott Joplin-themed recital is now open for submissions!

The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of March, which means that the submissions must be in by midnight Eastern Standard Time, March 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

Unlike the Adult Beginners and Beyond Quarterly recitals, which showcase a variety of composers, this recital showcases just the piano works of Scott Joplin. All are welcome to submit a piece by consulting the signup thread here and putting in a request to play an otherwise unclaimed Joplin piece (even if it is not yet explicitly listed).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is midnight US EASTERN TIME on March 14, 2014.

Did I mention that the midnight deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete."

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2239657 - 03/01/14 05:16 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
In Italian we say "Via il dente, via il dolore" (get rid of the tooth and you'll get rid of the pain), so I figured I should go first to stop your suffering and mine grin

Can't wait to listen to this great recital!

#2239696 - 03/01/14 06:56 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Whizbang, I just have two things to tell you...

1. I'm guessing I'll be able to record somewhere around March 11-14. I'm hoping not to have to pull a last-minute recording like I did with the Chopin Mazurkas.

2. Challenge accepted. Had a chance to run through it today, and yes, I will do the Entertainer.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's performance! smile

#2239699 - 03/01/14 07:01 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
In Italian we say "Via il dente, via il dolore" (get rid of the tooth and you'll get rid of the pain), so I figured I should go first to stop your suffering and mine grin

Can't wait to listen to this great recital!

I can't agree more. It feels like a couple of days before finals in college again for me. I am stressing out!

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2239834 - 03/01/14 11:43 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Mine's uploaded! Thanks for arranging all this Whizbang. I don't think I would have ever played Joplin without this recital to encourage me.

#2239857 - 03/02/14 12:32 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Derulux]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
1. I'm guessing I'll be able to record somewhere around March 11-14. I'm hoping not to have to pull a last-minute recording like I did with the Chopin Mazurkas.

I won't be recording for at least a week. After about two months of trying, I finally got my tech to set a date, so that I'll have a freshly tuned piano for the recital.

Originally Posted By: Derulux

Looking forward to hearing everyone's performance! smile

Me, too!

#2239976 - 03/02/14 08:09 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Another one in . . Mag Rag!

""

#2240261 - 03/02/14 04:31 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Tried and failed today to get a recording - just too many errors. I still have 13 days to smooth things out...

Sam

#2240297 - 03/02/14 05:37 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Sam S]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Tried and failed today to get a recording - just too many errors. I still have 13 days to smooth things out...

Sam

i know what you mean.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2240470 - 03/02/14 11:40 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Sam S]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Sam S

Sam
Wait until you hear the errors in mine. But I'm not going to get a better recording at this point.

#2240684 - 03/03/14 01:11 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: MaryBee]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Ah, I was so close today. Then- one major blooper. This Joplin piece has been the most difficult yet for me to get a good recording. Maybe tomorrow!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2240717 - 03/03/14 02:21 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
dpaws Offline

Uh oh! I recorded mine at 128 Kbps and the recommendation is 192 Kbps. Oh well, I wanted to pull off a better recording anyway. We still have 11 days.

peterws - Magnetic Rag is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording.

XXXV

#2240720 - 03/03/14 02:26 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: dpaws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

peterws - Magnetic Rag is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording.
[/quote]

I tried to follow the Bill Westcott model, tempo, state of piano detune (or rather, neglect to tune) and his relaxed style. If I appear relaxed, then you`ve been fooled . . .

""

#2240751 - 03/03/14 03:29 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I have been trying daily to get a recording for at least a week. Very challenging indeed!

#2240991 - 03/03/14 11:02 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Playagain Offline

Mine is submitted--Weeping Willow! I can't wait to hear everyone's performances!

Thank you, Whizbang, and everyone. I've really enjoyed learning my Scott Joplin piece and taking part in the recital. Please forgive the mistakes! smile

This is the first piece I've memorized in many years, and this has been lots of fun! I'm so glad I took part in the recital, and I can't wait to hear all the Joplin rags!

I wasn't very familiar with Weeping Willow when I chose it--I think I had heard the first part of it, and I ended up really liking it. I definitely want to learn more ragtime pieces!

Thanks,everyone!

Edited by Playagain (03/03/14 11:06 PM)

#2241005 - 03/03/14 11:43 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Playagain]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Playagain
I wasn't very familiar with Weeping Willow when I chose it--I think I had heard the first part of it, and I ended up really liking it. I definitely want to learn more ragtime pieces!

I'm a terrible memorizer, but Weeping Willow is one of the four rags I took the trouble to memorize. Of course, I've forgotten it now, but I think it's a great rag.

I, too, am looking forward to hearing the recital!

#2241015 - 03/04/14 12:09 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Playagain Offline

HI, Whizbang,
Yes, I've had so much trouble memorizing, too. This piece is easier than classical pieces to memorize for me, and it helped that we had months to learn it. I learned the first two sections and a bit of the 3rd and 4th, and then got so busy and put it aside. When I came back to it, it wasn't as daunting since I had pretty well learned about half of it.

When I take lessons, we're always onto the next piece so quickly, and I have to take so much time to memorize that I never can accomplish it in the time frame.

So, thanks for having this recital! It's been really fun!

#2241078 - 03/04/14 04:41 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Of course, I've forgotten it now, but I think it's a great rag."

Doesn`t take long does it? grin

I`ve still got one to record before I forget it. AQnd I haven`t yet learned it . . . eek

Edited by peterws (03/04/14 04:42 AM)

""

#2241096 - 03/04/14 06:01 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: peterws]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Well, I am in! It is not perfect, but it is my best effort at this point. This has been a great learning experience. Thanks for organising all of this Whizbang! It has been both fun, and at times, torture (in front to the red dot)!! But I have to think I am a better player for it. I cannot wait to listen to everyone's submissions!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2241116 - 03/04/14 07:22 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: SwissMS]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
I've had time to record "Pleasant Moments" twice in the last week, but still have to try to get it a bit better ... wish I had the red dot in my corner, but he's on the other side of the ring in his corner. It's easier to swing the tune than playing it straight up. grin

Edited by Rerun (03/04/14 07:29 AM)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2241182 - 03/04/14 09:53 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

#2241259 - 03/04/14 12:49 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: jotur
I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

I think I'll swing some on the fly, this tune has "Go ahead, improvise me" written all over it. grin

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2241460 - 03/04/14 08:03 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I tried recording new rag tonight but I'm having problems getting a clean recording because the left hand goes pretty low and I can't play the right notes without looking at my left hand and then I'm not looking at the music and the whole thing stops up. I occasionally have wrong notes for other reasons also. It's obvious I'll have to memorize it so I've decided to work on that instead of doing more recordings right now.
Exercises

#2242423 - 03/06/14 10:37 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bethena is sounding really good, IMO, so I'll submit this weekend. The octaves on Original Rag are more and more often at tempo, and I could even start them a little more upbeat than I've been doing while working them up, so I actually think they'll be ready to record before the deadline. Knock on wood smile

Congratulations to those of you who have submitted your pieces. Well done.

Cathy

#2243103 - 03/08/14 11:40 AM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
A lot of recording being done around the world this weekend, I suspect.

I managed to get one this morning, that is a fair representation of where it's at currently. My goal was this weekend, so happy to be in by noon Saturday.

Best of luck everyone. This will be great ...

#2243153 - 03/08/14 01:06 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I've got a recording ready to go but was hoping I'd get a chance to do something better before the deadline. At the moment though it's in the balance whether there'd be enough free time.

Does anyone know if the auto-upload scheme leaves open the option to submit an updated/improved recording before the deadline?

#2243191 - 03/08/14 02:08 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, you can re-submit your recording. The only consequence is that your entry will drop to the last one, rather than staying in the original order.

I have a recording, but am also thinking that I'll try again.

But we'll see.

Cathy

#2243231 - 03/08/14 03:15 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- thanks Cathy, I'm just as likely to forget what day it is this week so I'll play it safe and upload what I've got.

Looking forward to tuning in!!

#2243285 - 03/08/14 05:21 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bethena's in. Looks like both of mine are going to be pieces of workmanship, rather than really music, but it might give people a hint of what Joplin does!

Now to go work some more on Original Rags.

Cathy

#2243313 - 03/08/14 06:33 PM Re: ABF Joplin-themed recital -- Call for Submissions [Re: jotur]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm hoping for the middle of the week - it's still pretty shaky. Anyway, I'll be cutting it close.

Sam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
10/02/14 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
10/02/14 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
10/02/14 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (beet31425, ando, AtomicBond, Baroque Style, 15 invisible), 1142 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission