Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
155 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, Alexander Borro, 40 invisible), 1742 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2241380 - 03/04/14 04:37 PM How to Repair Broken Key on Roland F-110?
archeytect Offline

Hello PW!

I'm looking for some help and advice on how to repair a Roland F-110 with a broken key. The warranty is long gone and the place it was bought at are asking a very high fee for a simple repair. There are also some logistical problems in moving the piano to the shop. It's my sister's DP and she asked me to help her repair it, so I figured I'd just order the needed part(s) from Roland directly. I'm not experienced in DP repair, and I've found nothing on the internet about the F-110, no pictures of the internals, no service manual, nothing. What am I getting into here? I really don't want to damage the piano trying to repair it, especially as it's not my own. I've found some videos of people replacing broken keys on Roland keyboards and it seems easy enough. Problem is, this DP doesn't seem as easy to open up, there are more screws and more stuff inside, like the speaker system.

This is the problem, G# just sits there sunken down into the keybed. It works to play on, but has a very spongy response. I strongly suspect the plastic hammer is cracked like in the videos I've found, but probably hasn't fallen off completely.

Does anyone know how to open it up safely? I don't want random parts falling out... I'm looking for tips on what screws need to come out, how to handle the piano without damaging it, and so on. I took what photos I could and color-coded the different sets of screws to make it easier to identify them. I'm not sure they belong together the way I coded them, but it looks like it. I'm assuming the stand will have to come off, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Bottom of the Roland F-110 (click for higher resolution).
Red - Probably securing the speakers to the board?
Purple - Headphones hook I think, looks like a hex in there?
Orange, Green, Blue - Not sure, probably holding the box together?

So, orange, green and blue seem likely.

Back panel of the Roland F-110 (click for higher resolution).
Pink - Not sure, holding some components inside?
Yellow, teal - Circuit boards?

Not sure if anything needs to come off the back, but included it anyway. I don't know what the sides of the unit look like without the stand, and didn't have time to take it apart during my recon visit. More screws?

I found this isometric perspective of the F-110 in the manual if that helps in any way.

Grateful for any help you experts on here have to offer! This problem is causing my sister to not play much anymore because the broken key bothers her so. Pianos must be played! smile

Thank you!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2241409 - 03/04/14 05:44 PM Re: How to Repair Broken Key on Roland F-110? [Re: archeytect]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I don't know about he F110, but you can have a look at some pictures I did for taking apart an FP3 here.

I would guess the lower green and orange screws in your picture are holding the keyboard assembly to the case - don't remove.

The yellow screws will be securing the sockets to the casing - don't remove.

I would start by removing the blue ones, then the pink and teal ones on the back if the top cover isn't moving.

Good luck!

#2241568 - 03/04/14 11:19 PM Re: How to Repair Broken Key on Roland F-110? [Re: archeytect]
baladin Offline

I don't know about the F-110 either, but some generic advice might help.
I would first look at all the screws around the edges (the orange and probably the blue ones). It may be safer to just undo them a few turns so that the screws stick up a quarter-inch or so.
Then you can see if there is a gap opening up in the case. If not, loosen a few more. But I would leave the center row of green ones alone. It's unlikely that they hold the case together.
When you actually get to take out the screws, make a note of which type goes where (unless they're all the same). It's not as difficult as it looks to open most DPs and keyboards and you seem to be very well organized and careful.

#2242022 - 03/06/14 03:10 AM Re: How to Repair Broken Key on Roland F-110? [Re: archeytect]
archeytect Offline

Thank you lolatu and baladin! It's nice to at least get some pointers smile

My instinct tells me the screws on the back panel aren't involved in holding the case together, the reason being they're not symmetrically placed along the back. Surely any designer would have a sense of symmetry, for stability and aesthetics. Like the green ones on the pictured FP7. I might be wrong though, we'll see!

I believe I'll start by removing the stand, then loosening the blue screws on the sides, then the top orange ones. Good idea about unscrewing them halfway and jiggling the case, that'll make me a little braver! You're probably right about the lower orange and green screws holding down the key assembly, but probably also the front panel. Hopefully that won't have to come off.

I'll update when I've given it a go, will try to get some pictures on here in case anyone else should need them. Won't be for a few days though, open to other suggestions in the meantime! Thanks guys.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
Today at 12:30 PM
Partial versus Full Regulation
by MusicMagellan
Today at 12:22 PM
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
Today at 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
Today at 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
Today at 09:29 AM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160054 Topics
2350521 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission