Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
82 registered (bennevis, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, 23 invisible), 1210 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2241658 - 03/05/14 01:05 PM Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...)
tmmgeekette Offline

Loc: Florida
Hello!! I haven't been around this forum for years!!

I posted 5 years ago about teaching my kids myself. I got some great advice, but in the end I decided that I would not teach them myself and would instead find them a teacher. I was too afraid of screwing it up, even tho I do have experience teaching kids when I worked with my own piano teacher YYEARSS ago.

Fast forward 5 years later and I *still* have not found them a teacher. Biggest concern for me? cost. I have put it off so long I'm feeling a bit disgusted by it, really. All this time lost....

So today, with the concern of cost still an issue, I'm waiting no longer. My kids were 5 and 2 back then. Today they are 10 and 7. They've started banging away at the piano regularly, obviously interested in playing it and hearing the sounds. They ask me why I don't play much anymore, etc... so I think it's time I did something to help them along.

I'm getting a couple books from Faber Piano Adventures (Primer Level) to start teaching them. I'm SUPER excited and I'm soooo wanting to get it right with them.

What I want to see if I can find some piano duets. There is one in particular I heard so many years ago I don't remember it at all, but I know I would recognize it if I heard it. It's one where the teacher played with the student. The teacher portion was not beginner level, but the accompanying parts for the student were fun and easy.

I know my kids would eat it up if I taught them something easy that they could play along side me.

Can anyone point me towards any pieces that match this description?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2241662 - 03/05/14 01:08 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
tmmgeekette Offline

Loc: Florida
Wow, this post finally worked!!!

#2241693 - 03/05/14 02:03 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Brinestone Offline

You're describing just about every method book that exists. Many of the beginning pieces have accompanying teacher parts.

#2241728 - 03/05/14 03:00 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: digsite
Wow, this post finally worked!!!

You have made three previous attempts while the forums were down. That is why it didn't work.

Polyphonist

#2241731 - 03/05/14 03:02 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
sonataplayer Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Hi Tania,

The lower level Piano Adventures lesson books feature lots of student/teacher duets. That's one of the reasons why I use them. And the kids love the duets, too!

#2241732 - 03/05/14 03:03 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: digsite
What I want to see if I can find some piano duets. There is one in particular I heard so many years ago I don't remember it at all, but I know I would recognize it if I heard it. It's one where the teacher played with the student. The teacher portion was not beginner level, but the accompanying parts for the student were fun and easy.

Go get Alfred Premier books and you'll be hooked. They hired real composers who write interesting music that appeal to kids.

Piano Adventures is good, too. Try the Gold Star Adventures books that come with these glorious CD tracks.

#2242120 - 03/06/14 09:32 AM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I love playing the teacher/student duets with kids. Be sure that they can play it well by themselves first, and let them know if it doesn't work right the first time you play together that's OK - it may take a few tries. Pick a slow tempo, too.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2242332 - 03/06/14 06:27 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Amy B Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
A 2nd on Alfred's Premiere. Very well received by all my students that I've tried it with.

#2242956 - 03/07/14 11:34 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
When I was little I used to duet the Peanuts theme with my sister. Both parts were super easy based on what was shown to me. I think she just did it by ear and needed my help because she couldn't play both hands. I loved that tune even then and I would think your kids would enjoy it. It's too bad I couldn't really sit still at that age so I took a pass on learning piano until many years later. frown

I'm in a similar boat. My daughter is 6 now and I am making an attempt to get her started myself with the Faber book. Honestly I think it's more of a music lesson at this stage so as long as we make it fun and do a lot of rhythm and singing there can be no harm done. Since she is learning to read also I make her read everything so the lessons are pretty much over in a couple pages. ha (we are only about 8 pages in)

The biggest challenge is keeping a regular schedule like she would have for other activities such as dance class.

#2242961 - 03/07/14 11:52 PM Re: Embarking on teaching my own kids piano finally (sigh...) [Re: tmmgeekette]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I made three short duets for Barb (in this very forum), who was looking for a set of duets that was VERY easy. I think that these ARE VERY easy...

http://www.musica-ferrum.com/documents/duets%20for%20barbara.pdf

Have a blast everyone!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350384 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission