2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by chicolom
I have a desktop computer with an internal soundcard with dedicated ASIO drivers and UVI still seems to have a lot of problems with it though (while my other programs work fine with it).

So I still say UVI needs some work done on it's ASIO.

You may well be right. I wonder how much more solid it would be if Ravenscroft was running in its own dedicated standalone app. I know nothing about these things, but can only go on my experience with other software, such as PT.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Installed it this morning.

No problems. Smooth as silk.

I have been playing with it for about an hour.

Initial impression ...

It is my best stand-alone software piano sound.

The most appreciated quality that I have found is that it has a gentleness to it.

I play a lot of that type of music so it appeals to me.

I did turn the TONE button to -4 to take a little of the "edge" off of the key strike.

No other modifications were made, or needed in my opinion.

Having said all of the above ...

It still can sound like someone else is playing the piano somewhere other than where I am sitting. My solution is the same as all my other software piano sounds ... I blend in my ES7 concert grand via my mixer.

In my opinion, all of these software piano sounds suffer from that same issue.

It is difficult to describe that phenomenon.

Here is how I describe it ...

The sound that comes from the software sounds great if you are just listening to it from your couch with your eyes closed. However, if you are pushing keys on a piano keyboard you expect a different sound than the one that you hear when sitting on your couch.

I can bring that sound into the mix by adding my ES7 concert grand to the Ravenscroft275 sound.

The two together ... perfect.

The Ravenscroft275 by itself and me sitting on the couch with my eyes closed ... great.

The Ravenscroft275 by itself with me pushing keys on my ES7 keyboard ... less than authentic.

At this point, however, it is my best software sound.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
First impressions here – very favourable.

Definitely some odd behaviour going on between the stand-alone UVI and ASIO4all but using a host could be a happy workaround. Cubase, for example, will run UVI at the best latency without a problem – although loading all of Ravenscroft’s sample sets will require a bigger buffer. Without a host, UVI is probably buffering 512 samples using A4all - not bad latency but not great. What's weird is that it doesn't appear to be adjustable, no matter what you do in A4all.

AFAICT the piano is smoothly consistent across the chromatic and dynamic range enabling powerful crescendos and sweet pianissimos, smoother I’d say than vintage D. Nicely playable, as is the D of course. I can’t claim to have fully got to grips with the sound but it has a pleasing tone, lively yet sensitive. Running an A/B between the R and the D, it’s clear they’re very different from each other but I like them both. I find the R’s una corda samples to be far more usable than the D’s which always sounded to me as though not quite belonging to the same piano and presenting somehow on a different sound-stage. R’s are well integrated. There’s something a tad more rounded about the D sound but I’ve a hunch that R’s samples will eq into a similar warmth. If persistent immersion is any guide, I’ve been fiddling with it for the last couple of hours trying to sort out a bit of Chopin without any loss of enthusiasm or sense of a mismatch between style and sound. Whichever records better or flatters me most (excuse my language) might determine which gets the greater use but at the moment I’m pleased to have them both and expect to be playing with the R a lot.

disclaimer: it's highly possible that I am completely cloth-eared. Don't buy on my recommendation!

Last edited by dire tonic; 03/05/14 01:21 PM.
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm guessing here dmd, you're using a MAC computer?

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by HisKidd
I'm guessing here dmd, you using a MAC computer?

Sorry, no cigar !

Dell 8300 i7 3.40GHz PC.
8 GB Ram.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
dmd…

Any guess why your download, setup, and playing went so smoothly, and several others were problematic?

Thanks!

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Sorry, no cigar !

Dell 8300 i7 3.40GHz PC.
8 GB Ram.

Which version of Windows are you running?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Originally Posted by dmd

Sorry, no cigar !

Dell 8300 i7 3.40GHz PC.
8 GB Ram.

Which version of Windows are you running?

Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anyone with a Surface will be running Windows 8.1 so I'm curious if there will be any compatibility differences.

I have 8.1 on both my Surface Pro and laptop but I could always roll the laptop back to Windows 7 (not likely to happen but a possibility).

P
P
my first impression is good, though perhaps I was expecting something better than the Ameican D model. However, it is a great product

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On another note I'm still not convinced that the bass has any character or liveliness. I prefer a bit more grit or earthy quality to my bass and when listening to both the Un Sospiro and Chopin Nocturne the bass seemed completely lacking. Can anyone confirm? When I listened to the TK Italian sample of the Hungarian Rhapsody it sounded much better in this regard. Is it just the samples that are throwing me off? The Nocturne did have somewhat of an electronic sound to it. It did sound quite lovely at the end, both the quality of the tone and the sustain. At the same time I would bet it would be interesting to hear the same music on the real acoustic version as a point of reference.

I'm warming to it but I wish I had more time for the $150 price point or a trial period (to justify the $200). wink

I have to admit, the samples sound better and better the more I hear them (they are playing in the background as I'm posting). The occasional moments I don't like are somewhat overshadowed by the overall impression. More often than not it sounds really impressive.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
My impressions so far. This piano responds beautifully. The difference in articulation between staccato and legato is clearly rendered. The key response is even. The gradations between ppp and fff are smooth, along with a realistic/natural change in timbre. I would describe the sound as veering toward the "metallic" rather than the "woody" end of the spectrum - but not overly so. There is a wide degree of control over the sound, although I found that judicious and minimal adjustments are best, so as to prevent a loss in authenticity. The room mics are nice to have, but I found the close mic'd sound to be the most natural for live (non-recorded) playing.

Do I like it? I think so. At the moment I'm adjusting to the sound. It's very different from Steinway, and even Yamaha. Surprisingly, it's not a huge sound - doesn't shout "9-foot grand" when you play it. It has both delicacy and power, but not so much of the supercharged rumble you might expect.

All issues that I have had have been related to the UVI/ASIO implementation. A couple of freezes/crashes have occurred, and I have also completely ruled out ASIO4ALL with it. I have been successful using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 interface. The only issue I have encountered with this has been occasional saturation/stuttering, which can probably be remedied with a couple of tweaks, and may be more to do with the specs of the Surface Pro I'm running on. However, when I tried using it with an earlier model of the Multimix that uses USB 1.1, it saw the Alesis mixer, but failed to recognize the PX-5S I was using as a controller, and emitted no sound, even from the software's own virtual keyboard. As a reference, Pianoteq has no problems with ASIO4ALL, nor with either of the Alesis units. As a result, I doubt whether I'll be using it live, unfortunately. As mentioned above in one of the posts, I think the UVI part of this could use a little more ASIO development.

Conclusion? For a sampled VST, it performs remarkably well. I think it needs plenty of horsepower and a compatible ASIO device. Some people obviously have no problem with the implementation, and so it would be useful if VI Labs could publish a compatibility list, showing devices/apps that are known to perform well, and those that have issues.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
On another note I'm still not convinced that the bass has any character or liveliness. I prefer a bit more grit or earthy quality to my bass and when listening to both the Un Sospiro and Chopin Nocturne the bass seemed completely lacking. Can anyone confirm?

No, the bass is not huge. This is a little surprising, given the length of the original's bass strings. In one sense, this is a plus, in that the bottom end won't overpower the treble. It is a well defined bass that is not at all muddy.

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
On another note I'm still not convinced that the bass has any character or liveliness. I prefer a bit more grit or earthy quality to my bass and when listening to both the Un Sospiro and Chopin Nocturne the bass seemed completely lacking. Can anyone confirm?

No, the bass is not huge. This is a little surprising, given the length of the original's bass strings. In one sense, this is a plus, in that the bottom end won't overpower the treble. It is a well defined bass that is not at all muddy.

That makes a lot of sense and it's really encouraging. "Well defined" is what I'm hoping for. I've also bothered to listen to the rest of the samples. Not sure why I hadn't bothered to do that as there's some wonderful performances there. And I've effectively increased the sample size so that I have a much better idea of the software's capabilities.

At the risk of sounding needy, can someone help me understand the difference between the mechanics of this type of modelled (?) software piano and a normal digital piano such as the Roland RP301. Are both using samples as the source of the sound? Would a software piano such as this be a no-brainer upgrade or are there some serious drawbacks to go with it? (besides the apparent time needed for tweaking)

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Joke of the day;
I cancelled my order on Feb 17th., got a FULL refund a day or two later.
I checked my account on their web site, it showed the order, the payment, the cancellation, all seemed FINE and settled.
I have been a bit on the fence about it since and I think I have until the end of today to jump back in at the discount price.

Yesterday they sent me a mail message with the subject; "The Ravenscroft 275 is in your account!"
OK, that must be a mistake, but I read the message anyway.
Sure enough,
"Thank you all for ordering the Ravenscroft 275 and for your patience.
We have some great news for you, the Ravenscroft 275 library is available in your account.
You can find all of the necessary information to install the Ravenscroft 275 on this page: http://www.vilabsaudio.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13"

Just in case, I checked, there are no outstanding downloads there laugh

Some mailing lists you just CAN'T get off of.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'd like to hear comparisons from someone that has been using the Vintage D or the Ivory II American D (or German D) as their primary piano.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by voxpops

That makes a lot of sense and it's really encouraging. "Well defined" is what I'm hoping for. I've also bothered to listen to the rest of the samples. Not sure why I hadn't bothered to do that as there's some wonderful performances there. And I've effectively increased the sample size so that I have a much better idea of the software's capabilities.

At the risk of sounding needy, can someone help me understand the difference between the mechanics of this type of modelled (?) software piano and a normal digital piano such as the Roland RP301. Are both using samples as the source of the sound? Would a software piano such as this be a no-brainer upgrade or are there some serious drawbacks to go with it? (besides the apparent time needed for tweaking)

THIS isn't "modeled", it is a "sample library".
In principle it is very similar to current "digital pianos", in implementation the main difference is;

It is run by a program that is loaded into a general purpose "home" scale computer.
That program receives midi messages that signal which samples to "play" at what volume and when to turn them off, which it does.
In contrast a DP is more likely to have a smaller imbedded single purpose computer and plays from a usually smaller RAM.

They both play "recordings" of piano sounds.

"Modeled" players, e.g. V-piano, physis, pianoteq, etc "compute" the waveform that is to be played in "real time", although it is likely that some pre-processing is done.

Not done yet laugh
There are hybrid implementations as well, some think those will "win out" in the mid/long term.

Not clear that there are any sampled pianos that are 100 percent samples only, or that the modeled pianos have NO sampling included, e.g. for "noises" (simulated bumps and thumps of the mechanical bits flying around and hitting each other).

Last edited by R_B; 03/05/14 03:24 PM.
B
B
Guys, I'm posting here my first demo of Ravenscroft Piano. Not perfect, but it's the best piano sampler available so far, I believe.
The recording was made in a Kawai VPC1, and the piano has no Reverb, no effect. It is more natural than others piano samplers.
Ravenscroft PIano Demo
The Vintage D seemed to be good, but it is totally unnatural, compared to Ravenscroft.
Vintage D Demo

Last edited by Baldassi; 03/05/14 03:29 PM.

Grand Piano Suzuki AG600/ Kawai VPC1 Piano Controller/ Galaxy Vintage D Piano/ Ravenscroft Piano Sample
A
A
Speaking of that James, I have a question regarding the VPC1 that was in the Ravenscroft booth vs what was in the Kawai booth. The action on the VPC1 that Ravenscroft had was like butter! It was MUCH lighter, faster, and overall extremely responsive when compared with the one in the company booth. Did Kawai do a custom action job for the unit that Ravenscroft/VI Lab's were using to demo the Ravenscroft VI?

M
M
I remember reading that it was modified for the ravenscroft sw, for namm.
Maybe by the ravenscroft dude?

Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission