2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
As Hamelin says, the performer has not so much trouble, he is paid anyway. But all the other people in the public are suffering. If I had a vote, the piece would be replayed from start and these people were removed with a stiff fine (to compensate the performer and public) :-/

>I had a recital once where i played Rach's c# minor prelude, and the whole hall full of musically (and behaviorally) uneducated people started clapping along as i reached the part with the big chords.

Clapping along with Rach c#minor ??? Wooot?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wouter79
As Hamelin says, the performer has not so much trouble, he is paid anyway. But all the other people in the public are suffering. If I had a vote, the piece would be replayed from start and these people were removed with a stiff fine (to compensate the performer and public) :-/

>I had a recital once where i played Rach's c# minor prelude, and the whole hall full of musically (and behaviorally) uneducated people started clapping along as i reached the part with the big chords.

Here's what you do in these situations: Stop playing immediately, wait for about ten seconds, then resume playing where you left off.

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're really good, you can just do what this guy did when he was interrupted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uub0z8wJfhU

Last edited by ChopinLives81; 03/08/14 06:01 PM.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
That video's been posted above.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Study before your next concert.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Not only a stiff fine, but also maybe a mandatory short term in jail (without cell phone access) would be good, just to drive the point home to anyone too wealthy to notice the fine. They are, after all, defacing works of art.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Replayed from start? No way.
The performer is paid to perform the program once. Why should he/she be punished for the public's mistakes?
In fact, the only person who should decide whether to start a piece again from the beginning is the performer.

The last classical concerts I attended did not have cell phone interruptions, but lots of coughers.
What's next, mandatory gas masks for every person in the audience?

When I go to a concert, I expect people to make noise. Whether I'm a performer or a spectator. If the performer doesn't like it: Don't give live performances. Stick to recording. And if the public doesn't like it: Don't go to live concerts. Buy recordings.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What would you do if a cell phone went off right before the coda in the 4th ballade?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Play the coda louder and stormier?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
What would you do if a cell phone went off right before the coda in the 4th ballade?

I'm not familiar with that piece (I assume by Chopin).
Maybe I'll listen to it later. Then I may say what I'd do.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Respect by the audience for other audience members. Is that not the crux of the issue?

I prefer to hear live musicians performing over listening to recorded music. I don't want to hear the audience.

Last edited by prout; 03/09/14 12:39 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The only problem with an audience is the noise they make (to paraphrase a famous Beecham quip).

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

It's a pity Bugs Bunny's excellent method for dealing with coughers wouldn't work in this case. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by patH

The last classical concerts I attended did not have cell phone interruptions, but lots of coughers.
What's next, mandatory gas masks for every person in the audience?

One of these is an unnecessary gadget. Not really a reasonable comparison.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

It's a pity Bugs Bunny's excellent method for dealing with coughers wouldn't work in this case. grin

Couldn't get away with that today.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this delicious anecdote about Liszt from Alan Walker's biography. (I recently mentioned this in another thread):

"He himself (Liszt) occasionally went out of his way to make an enemy of powerful aristocrats if he thought that his dignity as an artist had suffered. Into this category falls his chilling rely to Tsar Nicholas I of Russia, who arrived late and started talking during one of Liszt's recitals in St. Petersburg. He stopped playing and sat at the keyboard with bowed head. When Nicholas inquired the cause of the hushed silence, Liszt relied, 'Music herself should be silent when Nicholas speaks,' This public rebuke may well have cost Liszt a medal. It was...the first time that "music herself" had answered back."

Best regards,

Deborah
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused

What is the point of being an artist if you will not confront barbarism?

WTF?

As irritating as a cell phone ringing can be during a concert, I don't think I would ever bring myself to stop cold in the middle of a piece to put a stop to it. If it happens more than once, it would probably be best to address it in between performances.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Svenno

So, what do you usually do when things like these happen?

I take my phone out, I check my textos and my messages, I call my kids to remind them to warm up the dinner and to assure them that I won't be home too late and tell them that I've got to go because I'm giving a concert. Then I cough a little, and stretch my neck, do a little martial arts to center myself, discretely unwrap a hard candy to calm the itching in my throat.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Svenno
I had a recital once where i played Rach's c# minor prelude, and the whole hall full of musically (and behaviorally) uneducated people started clapping along as i reached the part with the big chords.

Hmmm --- Perhaps you could syncopate and try to lose them? ;-) Sort of like a driver in a car chase weaving through traffic....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission