Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#2241851 - 03/05/14 06:46 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
Here are two new Ravenscroft YouTube videos…

The first is on "Pedal Resonance…"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2i7WKBRC8

The second is on the Ravenscroft "voice…"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpwNdtspoWk
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2241858 - 03/05/14 07:12 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Now I'm a happy camper! smile

I loaded up the 64-bit version of Cantabile Lite, switched back to ASIO4ALL, and I can play this piano with no discernible latency, and it sounds great and responds beautifully. This allows me to go back to using just the Surface Pro with USB and audio cables, and nothing else. So now I will be able to use it live!

I don't understand why when using UVI as a standalone device I have so much in the way of ASIO problems, as well as residual latency, but when I open the VST version of UVI in Cantabile Lite, it all works so much better, and can use ASIO4ALL with no warbling etc. There's definitely a bit of a mismatch between UVI and ASIO (at least on Windows). On a side note, I really like Cantabile. It's a very well organized interface, and does not suffer from DAW overkill, where you are essentially plugging the VST into a recording track.

At last!

#2241866 - 03/05/14 07:24 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: voxpops]
minstrelman Offline

Loc: buffalo
hey voxpops,

I just got my first SW piano(Ivory American Concert D). I've not even really checked it out yet. but it uses Cantabile.
now I got Ravenscroft.
reading your post, makes me think maybe it would be a good idea for me to just use Cantabile for both. and leave UVI alone.

#2241869 - 03/05/14 07:28 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: minstrelman]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: minstrelman
hey voxpops,

I just got my first SW piano(Ivory American Concert D). I've not even really checked it out yet. but it uses Cantabile.
now I got Ravenscroft.
reading your post, makes me think maybe it would be a good idea for me to just use Cantabile for both. and leave UVI alone.

It's worth trying it both ways, but I'm getting MUCH better results using UVI within Cantabile, along with ASIO4ALL.

There was something about the response that just wasn't quite right for me in the standalone version, but now it flies - and sings!

#2241873 - 03/05/14 07:36 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: AZ_Astro]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
Originally Posted By: Baldassi
Guys, I'm posting here my first demo of Ravenscroft Piano. Not perfect, but it's the best piano sampler available so far, I believe.
The recording was made in a Kawai VPC1, and the piano has no Reverb, no effect. It is more natural than others piano samplers.
Ravenscroft PIano Demo
The Vintage D seemed to be good, but it is totally unnatural, compared to Ravenscroft.
Vintage D Demo

Thank you for posting this comparison. The Vintage D sounded better than I have generally given it credit for, and the two pianos had distinctive (and very different) voices.

The Vintage D is recorded at a much lower volume level in that comparison. They have to be at nearly equal volume levels to make a direct A/B comparison. Of course you can try to change the volume levels of the pianos as you listen and not get confused by that, but that isn't as easy as it may seem.

I'm still waiting for someone that uses the Vintage D or Ivory II American D as their primary piano to make some comments about the Ravenscroft Piano. (i.e. if they don't appreciate the quality of those two pianos I don't care what they think of the Ravenscroft - everyone is entitled to their own opinion but comments from people that don't like those pianos won't be of any value to me because we have different subjective tastes in piano sound.)

Edited by Macy (03/05/14 07:39 PM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2241883 - 03/05/14 07:49 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: voxpops]
minstrelman Offline

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Originally Posted By: minstrelman
hey voxpops,

now I got Ravenscroft.

It's worth trying it both ways, but I'm getting MUCH better results using UVI within Cantabile, along with ASIO4ALL.

There was something about the response that just wasn't quite right for me in the standalone version, but now it flies - and sings!

awesome. thanks man.
I will use my rme Babyface interface, and it has its own ASIO drivers. so I wonder if that would make a difference.
no idea if there's a difference in sound between UVI and Cantabile.
reminds me of the question regarding DAWs. I think I read that they all sound the same. so, if you don't need a lot of functionality, (like me), there is no need to spend a lot on a DAW, when for example, a Reaper license is extremely cheap.
(as fun as it will be someday, when I finally do get Pro Tools.)

#2241884 - 03/05/14 07:53 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Macy]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Macy

I'm still waiting for someone that uses the Vintage D or Ivory II American D as their primary piano to make some comments about the Ravenscroft Piano. (i.e. if they don't appreciate the quality of those two pianos I don't care what they think of the Ravenscroft - everyone is entitled to their own opinion but comments from people that don't like those pianos won't be of any value to me because we have different subjective tastes in piano sound.)

Macy, Vintage D and Ivory ACD are my 2 favorite pianos. I cannot write much as I am going to bed. But I still prefer Ivory ACD over Ravenscroft. I like the bass and the highs of Ravenscoft, less the mids. I like everything in ACD. Ravenscroft, like Vintage D, does not have the power of Ivory ACD, yet I have not compared RC and VD directly so far, but I would say it's a close race. I don't agree with those who think Vintage D is unnatural, unless they mean through speakers (at least though the speakers of my Roland Vintage D is clearly inferior to Ivory and even to True Keys or to my ipad piano). I will try to compare Vintage D and RC over the next few days.
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2241886 - 03/05/14 08:09 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: HisKidd
dmd…

I asked earlier why you thought your downloading, setup, and playing went smoothly while several others had problems. Perhaps that post got lost in the shuffle. Care to comment?

Thanks in advance…

Dell 8300 i7 3.40GHz PC.
8 GB Ram.
Windows 7 - Service Pack 1

And my Audio interface unit (see below) with it's proprietary Driver (ASIO). I do not use ASIO4ALL.

Other than that, I have no clue.

Edited by dmd (03/05/14 08:14 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#2241888 - 03/05/14 08:12 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Digitalguy]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy

Macy, Vintage D and Ivory ACD are my 2 favorite pianos. I cannot write much as I am going to bed. But I still prefer Ivory ACD over Ravenscroft. I like the bass and the highs of Ravenscoft, less the mids. I like everything in ACD. Ravenscroft, like Vintage D, does not have the power of Ivory ACD, yet I have not compared RC and VD directly so far, but I would say it's a close race. I don't agree with those who think Vintage D is unnatural, unless they mean through speakers (at least though the speakers of my Roland Vintage D is clearly inferior to Ivory and even to True Keys or to my ipad piano). I will try to compare Vintage D and RC over the next few days.

It's the mids that are bothering me most about the Ravenscroft too. They sound harsh, almost synthesized to me on the demos. The lower bass sounds too round and polite to me also. Again this just the demos played through the same speakers that play all my other pianos (that sound fine). I'm really debating whether to spend $150 today on Ravenscroft.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2241891 - 03/05/14 08:24 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Macy]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

It's the mids that are bothering me most about the Ravenscroft too. They sound harsh, almost synthesized to me on the demos. The lower bass sounds too round and polite to me also.

I think that's a fair summation. The mids are a little harsh, and I know why you would think they sound synthesized, although that doesn't come across quite as strongly as in the demos. Also, the bass is surprisingly tame for such a big source piano. But, as stated on one of the videos, it's possible to make treble melody lines ring out over the lower end, and there are plenty of adjustments available. What doesn't come across in the demos is how well it plays for a sampled piano.

I have never played Ivory ACD, although going off the demos, it is a much bigger sounding instrument - quite majestic in a way. Ravenscroft has a very different character.

#2241892 - 03/05/14 08:28 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Macy]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland

It's the mids that are bothering me most about the Ravenscroft too. They sound harsh, almost synthesized to me on the demos. The lower bass sounds too round and polite to me also. Again this just the demos played through the same speakers that play all my other pianos (that sound fine). I'm really debating whether to spend $150 today on Ravenscroft.

I confirm, the mids haven't much "soul", they don't "sing" like in ACD for instance. But I do like the lower bass, instead. Different from any other piano I have, but I really enjoy it. But this is more a matter of taste. But it's probably the main reason why I do not regret buying. However we are still speaking of a piano that can compete with the very best. No Native Instrument piano for instance come even close to it. And I prefer it to True Keys American.
Having said this, for me it clearly doesn't beat hands down any other piano, like some say.

Edited by Digitalguy (03/05/14 08:36 PM)
Edit Reason: added a sentence
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2241894 - 03/05/14 08:34 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: voxpops]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
It's the mids that are bothering me most about the Ravenscroft too. They sound harsh, almost synthesized to me on the demos. The lower bass sounds too round and polite to me also.

I think that's a fair summation. The mids are a little harsh, and I know why you would think they sound synthesized, although that doesn't come across quite as strongly as in the demos. Also, the bass is surprisingly tame for such a big source piano. But, as stated on one of the videos, it's possible to make treble melody lines ring out over the lower end, and there are plenty of adjustments available. What doesn't come across in the demos is how well it plays for a sampled piano.

I have never played Ivory ACD, although going off the demos, it is a much bigger sounding instrument - quite majestic in a way. Ravenscroft has a very different character.

Thanks for the comments. I hear just a hint of harshness (sort of synthesized with a lack of lower body) in my True Keys American too (I hear none of that in my other pianos), but not nearly so much as the Ravenscroft demo. Perhaps this has something to do with the mics or just the taste of the audio person that ViLabs uses.

How is the sustain starting an octave above middle C? That is another area I find weak in True Keys American compared to the Ivory ACD or Vintage D, but I can't get a feel for that in the Ravenscroft demos.

Edit: And I agree that the True Keys American is very playable, that's its strength, so I would expect that from Ravenscroft.

Edited by Macy (03/05/14 08:41 PM)

#2241897 - 03/05/14 08:43 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Macy]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona

I play Ivory pretty much exclusively, either the German D (mostly) or the American D (less often). BUT I am going to take it very slowly in offering a comparison, in deference to my junior status playing the piano (only two years) and because I need to give the Ravenscroft some time.

I played Ivory II American D for six months constantly before I ultimately concluded that I liked the German D better. (Not in all aspects, but in playing classical music.) And I kind of suspect it's going to take some time for me to digest Ravenscroft carefully as well. Time will tell. In the meantime, I have enjoyed others' comments and really appreciate what people are saying and enjoying about this new product.

#2241904 - 03/05/14 08:53 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Macy]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

How is the sustain starting an octave above middle C? That is another area I find weak in True Keys American compared to the Ivory ACD or Vintage D, but I can't get a feel for that in the Ravenscroft demos.

The initial sustain/decay is fairly rapid (around 2 secs at G5), but there then follows a respectable length of much slower but low-level decay.

#2242049 - 03/06/14 05:42 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Audiofreak Offline

Loc: Gilbert, AZ
Who are addressing this to?

#2242052 - 03/06/14 05:50 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
UVI's eqs are fairly flexible. I'm adding bass at around 80hz which is helping to fill in what sounds almost like a bass cut on the unmodified samples.

@Macy, I've used vintage 'D' almost exclusively for quite a while and been very happy with it (I don't have the Ivory American) . The Ravenscourt is quite different and really good also but hard for me, so far, to put my finger on quite what the differences are. The bass end is definitely light although in harmonics it sounds quite complex - bass boost warms it up a bit and gives it some support.
I haven't been able to successfully modify anything in the mid range which sounds a bit boxy round middle C - whatever I try, it always sounds better when bypassed! If someone else finds something that works for them perhaps they'll post it up.

The sustains seem broadly on a par with vintage D.

What immediately set me at ease was the velocity curve response - strangely enough it's the curve that I've modified to use with vintage D and it works even better with the Ravenscroft - more naturally - than with the D.

#2242207 - 03/06/14 12:46 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just tried to count up the number of posters in this thread that actually BOUGHT at the pre-order discount price.
A couple of people appear to have had a great amount of interest, but haven't posted their results (yet).

I make it seven (7) and while this isn't the ONLY forum for the discussion of synthetic pianos it doesn't look likely to me that there are more than a couple of dozen copies out there.
I hope I'm wrong.

#2242214 - 03/06/14 12:54 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
bryanstern Offline

I have no time to get into detail (which I will do after work), but just wanted to add my two cents. I have spent several hours using Ravenscroft. After lots of frustration and trial and error, I settled on the close mic position with only a little alteration for Tone. While I am sure I will experiment more, over time, I am more than happy with the experience.

I love the sound. Both rich and and focused. It is so even. I have Vintage D, which I like a lot. But, there are a few notes that I can't stand. It is not even through out. I have a boomy C which drives me batty. Ravenscroft is even, no weird notes, and that in itself is worth a lot.

No perceivable latency on a cheap Windows 8 laptop with 4gb of RAM until I kick up Polyphony to full/max. No problem, I am using the default. Got to go for now. More later.

#2242217 - 03/06/14 12:55 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: R_B]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R B
it doesn't look likely to me that there are more than a couple of dozen copies out there.
I hope I'm wrong.

There are a lot of non-posting lurkers on all fora.

#2242239 - 03/06/14 01:53 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:
I just tried to count up the number of posters in this thread that actually BOUGHT at the pre-order discount price.
A couple of people appear to have had a great amount of interest, but haven't posted their results (yet).

I make it seven (7) and while this isn't the ONLY forum for the discussion of synthetic pianos it doesn't look likely to me that there are more than a couple of dozen copies out there.
I hope I'm wrong.

I really wanted to get it at that price but I just don't like making hasty purchases. It never works out in the long run if I buy something just because of a deadline. Hopefully later in the year I will be able to justify getting it but there's no rush. I'm kinda new to this stuff so it makes more sense to digest a little longer or try out something for free first.

It would be hard to conclude how many copies were sold based on detailed feedback. Quite honestly there's been a ton of user feedback on here in such a short period of time and the thread is quite active. If I were to speculate, that looks like a good thing to me. I really appreciate the amount of information that has been shared and it was very helpful to me.

#2242244 - 03/06/14 02:29 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: R_B]
HisKidd Offline

I was all set to pull the trigger, and then read a litany of posts about latency and other technical difficulties with VST's in the thread. Then, most of those who did post their evaluations indicated some form of difficulty with downloading, setup, or performance.

The exception to the rule was dmd who reported a smooth download and setup experience.

Being new to the world of VST's, I don't know what to make of the seemingly large amount of difficulty in using them. I'm asking the question, "Are they more trouble than they are worth?"

I listened to the side by side comparison posted yesterday of Vintage D and the Ravenscroft, and frankly… I liked the sound of the Vintage D. Having read the forums the past several years, the Vintage D seems to be a tried and true VST that consistently receives high marks.

All of this to say, I'm undecided about whether to buy the Ravenscroft, the Vintage D, or something other.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2242246 - 03/06/14 02:40 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
minstrelman Offline

There is another thread at a forum called keyboard corner at forums.musicplayer (I think).
You can read more about RC and other vst's there.

#2242248 - 03/06/14 02:43 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Thomas B]
Thomas B Offline

Originally Posted By: Thomas B
Anyone noticed the muted notes feature assigned to MIDI CC 70 on the screenshot:

What's behind that?

Will we finally be able to play Dodge the Dodo and the like on a virtual piano wink !?!?

Does anyone care to post an example of the muted notes feature? I would be really interested :-)

On their website I find little more than

"Muted Strikes are unique to the Ravenscroft 275 VI and are multi-velocity samples of each key, but with the strings muted for an interesting effect."

Thomas

#2242252 - 03/06/14 02:46 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: HisKidd
All of this to say, I'm undecided about whether to buy the Ravenscroft, the Vintage D, or something other.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Well, here is my take on all of this ...

Let me say first, that I do very little fooling with the parameters that we can change. I change the Timbre a little, fuss with the velocity curve, maybe a touch somewhere else and then I play. So, my opinion is a very intuitive non-analytical one.

I have many software pianos and in my opinion, Ravenscroft and Ivory II Concert D are at the very top of all of them.

Is there a great deal of difference between Vintage D and either of these ? Well, I was not using Vintage D very much and I will be using one of these two all the time from now on.

Is it worth the money ? That depends upon what $150 means to you. If you have to cut down on lunch for a month to make it, I would say ... No, it isn't. If nothing in your life changes by purchasing it, well ... then it probably is.

In my opinion, it is better than everything I experienced other than Ivory II Concert D and I am not even sure about that yet.

Having said that ...

As I have previously stated, I am still unable to use any of the software pianos as a single sound source. I always blend in my ES7 Concert Grand with it. That seems to help give the sound a sense of coming from the instrument I am playing.

So, for me ... these software pianos are only a part of my sound and they provide me with many, many options. That is the value of them for me.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#2242253 - 03/06/14 02:52 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
HisKidd Offline

Really good, info Don

Thanks for your help!

minstrelman…
Thanks, also. I registered on that board, and have begun reading a thread on VST's.

H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2242264 - 03/06/14 03:24 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
twl Offline

I too have purchased, downloaded and installed without any problems, I used the latest version of UVI Workstation 2.2, 96Khz/512 sample buffer. I rarely post, but I am a big fan of this forum and learn from its members contributions. I am sure there are many others out there that have purchased Ravenscroft and read this forum but aren't regular posters.

I find that Ravenscroft reminds me a lot of Pianoteq in its responsiveness and smoothness. I actually prefer Pianoteq to all others but I do purchase sample libraries that pique my interest and to enjoy a different sound.

KORG SG-1D with Pianoteq 4.54 Pro, Presonus Audiobox 22VSL, AKG 240 MK II, Intel Q9450 (cobbled together PC). I also have Vintage D and Ivory Pianos II, Ivory Italian Ivory ACD. Generally, I use Cantabile to load multiple VSTs and play midi files.

#2242316 - 03/06/14 05:52 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Thomas B]
chicolom Offline

Anyone noticed the muted notes feature assigned to MIDI CC 70 on the screenshot:

What's behind that?

Will we finally be able to play Dodge the Dodo and the like on a virtual piano wink !?!?

Does anyone care to post an example of the muted notes feature? I would be really interested :-)

On their website I find little more than

"Muted Strikes are unique to the Ravenscroft 275 VI and are multi-velocity samples of each key, but with the strings muted for an interesting effect."

Thomas

I'm not able to record a demo at the moment, but the "Muted Notes" is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. You assign it to a midi CC (like modulation wheel) and then it triggers samples with that thumpy stacatto sound when you mute the strings and then hit them - similar to that "Doge the Dodo" video you posted.

Probably not something I'll use very often, but nice to have nonetheless smile

Edited by chicolom (03/06/14 05:57 PM)

#2242335 - 03/06/14 06:35 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
PtJaa Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
It's nice to know that you guys like this new piano. I'd like to ask 2 questions, because I have True Keys (previous product of VI Labs) and I'm not satisfied with it:

1, Do you know how many dynamic levels of samples there are in the Ravenscroft piano?
TrueKeys pianos IIRC had only 9, and I suspect that's why I was always unsatisfied with its dynamics.

2, Is half-pedal capability improved in Ravenscroft piano, compared to TrueKeys pianos?
I didn't like the behavior of half-pedalling in True Keys: They seemed to only have 1 inbetween-position that was engaged only in a very narrow part of pedal movement, which made it almost unusable for me. Vintage D, on the other hand, reacts in multiple steps (or continuously, I don't know) in a larger part of pedal movement.

Edited by PtJaa (03/06/14 07:24 PM)

#2242353 - 03/06/14 07:27 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: PtJaa]
minstrelman Offline

in reply to question #1:
this is from VI Labs Lance a few days ago (he does not give a number for how many layers, just says more):

" ...... I'm happy to answer those questions. First of all, sorry for the misunderstanding about comparing software to hardware. I'm sure you understand all the differences and as you say, you've many Kontakt instruments that take a while to load. There are always trade-offs to be made, so we're looking for the best balance of performance and sampling depth but without ridiculous load times. Developing a proprietary engine takes tens of thousands of dollars and a long period of R&D and all the subsequent testing, so this is unfortunately out of many company's range. And there are many benefits to using an already-developed mature engine such as NI or UVI compared to starting from scratch. We could have a great realistic VI piano, but if it's crashing all the time and causing other problems, what's that worth?

The size for the Ravenscroft VI is 35GB. We recommend 4GB of system RAM, but it only uses 600MB of RAM for a single mic patch, 800MB for the full patch. Loading additional mics, una corda, etc. uses more RAM but only slightly more than TK. It's technically the same as TK in having 4 mic positions--Ravenscroft has 4 discreet while TK has 3 plus an additional Mix which is the 4th (separate samples). The larger size comes from more velocity layers, more release and half-pedal samples, longer sustains (the Ravenscroft has an unbelievable sustain with multiple blooms/evolutions occurring as it sustains), and more samples for the new features such as Muted Strikes. But the bulk of it is more layers and longer samples due to the sustaining energy of the piano.

I'm currently going through the MIDI of Ruslan playing at NAMM and will get that posted later today. We're posting new demo videos too like we did for TK, so be on the lookout for those as well as more audio demos. We're on track to get this baby out tomorrow the 4th!"

Edited by minstrelman (03/06/14 07:43 PM)

#2242369 - 03/06/14 08:01 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
jjmarkow Online   content

I downloaded the Ravenscroft last night, installed it today, and have been playing with it on and off throughout the day.

I am really impressed! I had a very mixed impression from the demos so it seemed like a risk. But one or two of them gave me enough of a sense that it could be tweaked to my liking. It didn't take too much effort to do that. Mostly I made very small adjustments to tone and timbre and was able to take the edge off of the metallic ring that was disturbing me in many of the demos.

At this point I'm loving the sound, though I'm looking forward to tweaking it some more. You can really get lost in that gorgeous bass. The whole bottom half is beautifully sonorous. I also like the very realistic and pervasive resonance you can achieve without resorting to any reverb. I'd still like to get the woody, slightly percussive tapping I look for in the treble. Haven't been able to do that to my satisfaction yet.

As another poster put it, one of the most admirable qualities is the evenness across the entire keyboard. I have TK American D and I find the unevenness there very frustrating in the top half of the piano. Part of the upper range is overly percussive. A couple of the notes have a muted timbre that stands out in some mic combinations. But they have eliminated all those issues in the Ravenscroft as far as I can tell.

I should add that I'm playing on a Yamaha p-80 as a controller, and I imagine that could contribute to some of the effects I'm describing. I'm seeing a VPC1 in my future and I hope that will make a noticeable difference.

Installation was straightforward. I followed the video instructions with no problems.

I also play the Galaxy Vintage D, and I enjoy that piano very much. But I think that the Ravenscroft has moved the bar forward for virtual pianos. Great job, VI Labs. Now how about giving us an update of True Keys that will iron out some of the current issues? :-)

Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, AliAlkhiro, ajames, 36251, 51 invisible), 1722 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157247 Topics
2309580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission