2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Be PATIENT laugh

I would have preferred to have gotten whatever they showed at NAMM "right away", or on V-day, even if it had meant a patch download or a_NOTHER 8 Gig download a week or three later.

They don't seem to want to do it that way, which I would find hard to argue with.
The eternal field test "New bugs for old" Microslop product cycles have become the norm for the S/W industry and I still HATE that.
{not that sample libraries are "software", they're "data"}
How perfect ? vs how soon ?

Charging before shipment ?
I don't and I don't see why they should.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Originally Posted by R_B
I was ANGRY that they charged my credit card the day AFTER they announced the delay - I told them so in no uncertain terms, they offered a full refund if I wanted to cancel.
On reflection it was probably just a timing issue with card processing, but I dislike the practice of charging a card before shipping the goods OUT - that did get to me.

I thought about it for 3 more days, figured I don't play through the computer with what I already have and would likely only "play with" a new toy for a week or so {Christmas Morning toy syndrome}.

HARD to do, but I cancelled and they VERY PROMPTLY credited my card.
No hard feelings as far as I could tell, I said I might be back and if I ever dedicate a computer to my electronic keyboard I might...
By that time Ravenscroft 3.x will probably be out, and/or something even MORE Mahh_velous will be all the rage.

Last December they had a sale on their 3 pianos - $100 off, 3 (fer $250) and $50 of individual instruments ($99.xx ea).
Perhaps there will be a 4 fer deal in Dec 2014 ?? We shall see (& listen)

Still time to change your mind....and then probably plenty of time to reverse your reversal...

I'm sure I read somewhere that VI were going to give us early adopters a voucher for a discount on the other pianos. Maybe that offer will be extended to anyone who buys the Ravenscroft.

I'm still baffled that I don't see any auspicious recitals on YT of really good classical players using a Ravenscroft. Ok, so it's one of the most expensive pianos in the world. What of a jock-strap spun from pure gold? World-beating price, of course, but is it comfortable?

I "ASSUME" that as a company they aren't big enough to haul pianos around and "Sponsor" top players.
S&S seem to have an exclusive on "concert artists" ???
They have laid the ground thick with their instruments, they are the default in house pianos at many/most concert halls.
This just about locks out all other brands.

OTOH, the (Sir)Paul McCartney at the white house event DID have a Yamaha (on stage right, lid down to muffle it).

Last edited by R_B; 02/21/14 02:02 PM.
[quote=R_B]
I'm still baffled that I don't see any auspicious recitals on YT of really good classical players using a Ravenscroft. Ok, so it's one of the most expensive pianos in the world.

That's simple. Ravenscroft is a very small piano maker. They only been around 10 years, and they've only made about 10 pianos since then.

So only 10 Ravenscroft pianos in the world Vs. thousands of Steinways and Yamahas (not to mention the endorsement deals that Yamaha and Steinway do).

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Steinway's stranglehold is self-evident but if in 10 years Ravenscroft can't pull off a public performance by an uncommitted virtuoso on the 'worlds most expensive piano' ...something is amiss.

Maybe in 50 years?

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Steinway's stranglehold is self-evident but if in 10 years Ravenscroft can't pull off a public performance involving a major classical artist or uncommitted virtuoso on the 'worlds most expensive piano' ...something is amiss.

Maybe in 50 years?

It will probably take two more generations for "other than mechanical" pianos to be accepted by "ConZzzert Artistes".
Mayhap great (mechanical) piano builders don't get full recognition until after their death ?
(as a matter of Principle)

Welcome to the 4th week of February.
My only regret is that yesterday passed without the local radio station broadcasting ANY Segovia recordings.
Not while I was listening, I may have missed it/them.

C
C
Another day and no product. Yawn...

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Found this paragraph on the VI Labs Products page for Ravenscroft:

Engine
When we started developing True Keys, sampling technology was adequate in many ways, but not perfect. Our first goal was to find a technology partner that shared our obsession with quality and detail. After searching we began working with a company based out of France called UVI. They are the company behind many popular sound products such as Mach 5 by MOTU. True Keys, and the Ravenscroft virtual instrument now use this engine and the free player that we provide called 'the UVI Workstation' to create the most comprehensive and detailed sample libraries ever conceived.

Perhaps, I'm just misunderstanding the "free player," but does this mean that the ILock is optional?

Thanks!

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by HisKidd
Perhaps, I'm just misunderstanding the "free player," but does this mean that the ILock is optional?

The fact that the player is free does not mean that their product isn't tied to an ilok.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott

The fact that the player is free does not mean that their product isn't tied to an ilok.

Exactly, you can download True Cowbells for free for instance for use in UVI, but UVI will not load protected libraries without ilok

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Found this paragraph on the VI Labs Products page for Ravenscroft:

<snipped>

Thanks!

They are separate;
a) The player is "free", that is to say you don't pay separately for it, although it is probably not "free" in the open source sense.

b) Copy protection is now alternatively to your hard disc OR to your i-lok device.
If you already have one it may make sense to use it, if you don't you can avoid the ~$50 cost of having to buy one for THIS product.

As I understand it the copy protection mechanism is tied to the sample library, NOT to the (free) player.

I am currently OUT of this deal, but if I find a Linux player that can play this sample library I just MIGHT jump back in.
OTOH, maybe not until I dedicate a computer to my piano keyboard - an all-in-one 23 inch unit mounted on the wall behind the keyboard, displaying sheet music with the page turner thing.
Maybe not laugh

Lets see what it all shakes out to, I may be out on the water in another month or so, after that it is sail, sail, sail,,,

Perhaps a December sale if they have one like last year.

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Would someone please explain for me the nature and purpose of the ILock device.
Also, if you purchase a VST that requires an ILock, must you purchase it again if you buy a different VST that requires an ILock?

Being new to the use of VST's, this information would be most helpful!
Thanks!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Also, if you purchase a VST that requires an ILock, must you purchase it again if you buy a different VST that requires an ILock?

Thanks!

With iLok piracy is virtually impossible. Also, you purchase it only once and can use it for all your licences.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Thanks!

Your licenses can reside in it. In the case of VI Labs software, the ilock manger can authorize your hard drive. Multiple licences can be kept in the ilok. I believe this to be the case.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R

Thanks!

Nature:
Encryption.
Purpose:
To "unlock" the encrypted product that you have already PAID FOR.
Subsequent Use:
It is a "buy once, use on many products" key device.

It dates back to dongles of the early 80s (Amiga, Atari, etc.)
The whole concept disgusts many of us.
As a consumer SOMEWHERE in the purchase price One PAYS FOR the "locking" of the product.
In order to "Unlock" that product One has to (in essence) pay more money to a separate "key vendor".

There are other (& some believe BETTER) devices, e.g. the challenge/response mechanism that appears to be what vilabs is now offering as the hard disc authorization alternative.

I-Lok CAN be cracked, though finding out how to do so would almost certainly take One to high risk ("black") web sites.

Last edited by R_B; 02/25/14 01:36 PM.
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Kinda moot unless/until there is a PRODUCT to be copy protected laugh

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
R_B; Michael Wright; Digitalguy…

Thanks for your help!

You are most welcome HisKidd.

Okay.

It's the last day of February.

I'd like my piano now, which I already payed $150 for over three weeks ago.

K THX BYE wink

Last edited by chicolom; 02/28/14 06:22 PM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Nahh, you have a corrupt calendar.
Tomorrow is just the first day of the 5th week of February.

You could request a full refund, they know how to do that
fairly quickly.
That is to say I got mine quickly, but I complained EARLY and (uncharacteristically) RUDELY.

Last edited by R_B; 02/28/14 06:54 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Just ordered and paid via PayPal. According to reports on KC, they've been making final tweaks. I think their policy of declaring unattainable delivery dates and of taking money in advance, based on those dates, is bad business. However, at least one beta tester is very enthused, and I'm hoping that this software will be worth the wait - and that it'll run on my Surface Pro. I would just like to have an alternative to Pianoteq, and particularly one suited to jazz.

I don't relish the install/licensing rigmarole.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission