2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
I guess I'm interested in the steps it took you to "install" Ravenscroft inside Cantabile Lite.

It was very simple. In the first rack, I just directed Cantabile to where UVI was located (having also specified the audio/midi settings I wanted within Cantabile). That's about all there is to it.

On a side note, the UVI Workstation seems to be working very well for me.

Isn't that just the way with computers? It's a black art, for sure.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
I guess I'm interested in the steps it took you to "install" Ravenscroft inside Cantabile Lite.

It was very simple. In the first rack, I just directed Cantabile to where UVI was located (having also specified the audio/midi settings I wanted within Cantabile). That's about all there is to it.

Hmmm. I thought that I would point it to a Ravenscroft file, not UVIWorkstation.

When I run UVIWorkstation, the file that is run is:

"C:\Program Files\UVI Workstation x64\UVIWorkstationx64.exe"

Is that what I point to?

I will try a few things out and thanks for your help.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
AZ Astro, you need to go to your 64 bit VST folder (often in the Steinberg folder in Program Files) and look for the UVI plug-in there.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
AZ Astro, you need to go to your 64 bit VST folder (often in the Steinberg folder in Program Files) and look for the UVI plug-in there.

As a point of curiosity, I am wondering why some VSTs are the actual software piano product (as in Ivory and Pianoteq) and some VSTs are the Shell that the software piano product runs inside, as in Ravenscroft (i.e. why is there not a Ravenscroft275.dll).

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd

As a point of curiosity, I am wondering why some VSTs are the actual software piano product (as in Ivory and Pianoteq) and some VSTs are the Shell that the software piano product runs inside, as in Ravenscroft (i.e. why is there not a Ravenscroft275.dll).

Ravenscroft isn't a vsti and doesn't conform to vst protocol (I've really no idea what that is!!), it exists only as a single file with the .ufs extension. So it has to run inside a 'container' - in this case UVI, which is a vsti. As you say, Ivory and Pianoteq have done the donkeywork which enables them to run as fully fledged vstis.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by dmd

{GUESSING}
It is probably tied up to the "copy protection" nonsense.
This way they only have to unlock it in one place.
Conversely they only have to build and actuate one "lock".

Not sure because I haven't had to work on this stuff in a LONG time.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hey,
Just for FUN laugh
Who here has "golden ears" ?
Are you as picky about THIS emulated piano as Pierre-Laurent Aimard is about the Steinway D ?
{Pianomania movie}

I'm NOT, but I admit to having TIN ears and not playing advanced stuff anyway.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Originally Posted by dmd

Ravenscroft isn't a vst and doesn't conform to vst protocol (I've really no idea what that is!!), it exists only as a single file with the .ufs extension.

UVI is the vst which will run inside DAWs and hosts.

Let me re-word my question ...

I am wondering why the Ravenscroft275 does not have an accompanying VST like some other software piano products, namely Ivory. I am curious as to why they might not provide one since it seems much more convenient to utilize it within a DAW.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd

Ravenscroft isn't a vst and doesn't conform to vst protocol (I've really no idea what that is!!), it exists only as a single file with the .ufs extension.

I am wondering why the Ravenscroft275 does not have an accompanying VST like some other software piano products, namely Ivory. I am curious as to why they might not provide one since it seems much more convenient to utilize it within a DAW.

I think they've already admitted it's too much work - i.e. too expensive, hence the off-the-peg container UVI.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I think they've already admitted it's too much work - i.e. too expensive, hence the off-the-peg container UVI.

Well, that may be possible ... I guess.

I am going to present that question to VILabs directly and see what their response is.

Don

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Okay, I got it working. Cool! Now I can record Ravenscroft piano inside Cantabile!

Thank you voxpops.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 03/07/14 05:32 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd

This was part of my confusion. But I think I've got it now. A little bit anyway!

[Linked Image]
M
M
hey gang,
was wondering wherefore the origin of the name "Ravenscroft".

herewith:
http://www.ravenscroftpianos.com/Images/PR/Downloads/RavenscroftPianosPressRelease(081001)PassionForPianos.pdf

http://www.statepress.com/2011/08/21/tempe-center-for-the-arts-gets-custom-made-grand-piano/

Last edited by minstrelman; 03/07/14 06:48 PM.
L
L
Originally Posted by dmd

Well, that may be possible ... I guess.

I am going to present that question to VILabs directly and see what their response is.

Hey all, I wanted to jump in here again and explain a bit more about the UVI Workstation and questions about VST plug-ins, etc. Yes the Ravenscroft 275 and our True Keys Pianos are not VST instruments themselves--they are what are referred to as sample libraries and work within an engine, in this case UVI Workstation, which is the "player" and supports all plug-in formats such as VST, AU, AAX, etc. The software used to design the Ravenscroft library is called MachFive which is marketed by MOTU. MachFive is a full feature software sampler and is also available as a standalone application or any plug-in format. Another popular software sampler is Kontakt by Native Instruments, and they have their player known as Kontakt Player that hosts a huge variety of NI instruments as well as third party libraries. Alicia's Keys and the Scarbee line of libraries are popular examples of "Kontakt Powered" instruments that run all in one player, the free Kontakt Player. There's also a huge selection of UVI instruments and third party libraries that are hosted within the free UVI Workstation.

There are of course benefits to developing a proprietary sampling engine for one specific product or line of products from one company such as any specific need can be addressed from the ground up. But as I eluded to in a previous post, this is an expensive and rather risky endeavor for many instrument developers as the cost of R&D is very high, and there's always the risk of compatibility issues, crashes, etc. that can result unless the engine is really up to snuff. Also with proprietary engines, an end user has to install a new (and sometimes unknown) piece of software for each instrument, from each company, and so on. The benefits of using an existing engine that allows third party developer content such as NI Kontakt or MachFive is that you get a solid engine (player) that only needs to be installed once, and it will support a plethora of instruments available. This makes it easier for the end user as they install one player and then can add additional libraries, and it's easier in many ways for the developers as they can use a tried and true engine that many end users may already have. And yes, this also aids in copy protection as each library developer can rely on the company that makes the engine to handle that process instead of having a variety of copy protection methods which some work great and others not so much.

So to recap, you can install UVI Workstation one time to use the Ravenscroft. Then you could add our True Keys collections or any other instrument made for UVI Workstation and only have to download/extract the library without having to install any software again. This applies to Kontakt Player as well and the huge line-up of all their instruments.

I hope this helps!

-Lance @ VI Labs

Lance @ VI Labs
www.vilabsaudio.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Lance, for providing this information. If I may, I'd like to ask you about something else. How does the Ravenscroft compare to other software pianos you've worked on, like the ones from Acoustic Samples, the Kawai Ex Pro, and Academic Grand? I'm assuming the Ravenscroft is superior to the other two, but what makes it superior?

Would appreciate your input on this, as I'm looking for good software pianos, and the Acoustic Samples appealed to me. I'm wondering if I would be sacrificing quality for a lower price, by getting the older Acoustic Samples pianos, rather than the Ravenscroft.

Last edited by TheodorN; 03/07/14 11:25 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lance VI Labs
Ravenscroft 275 and our True Keys Pianos are not VST instruments

This is what I am wondering about.

Why restrict your products to only the one option for playback ?

It would seem to be in VILabs best interest to allow it to run in a variety of environments.

Why not make it a VST instrument so it will run on a variety of DAWS ?

Is it cost ? Sales Strategy ?

Don

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@dmd.. hey I was just curious about your speaker setup... are u satisfied with the bass u get from your Focal CMS40 powered monitors? By chance you are running a sub with that as well?

I just purchased a pair of KRK monitors Rokit 6 gen 3 recently. Waiting for my uncle to bring it down for me though.

Not sure if i made a mistake or not going for KRK instead of a better brand but only time will tell i guess.
Alotta folks are satisfied with the KRKs...

You can private message me if you want. Thanks.

Sorry for the tangent guys.. Back to Ravenscroft... This software piano really looks promising. Excited to try it out one day.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Lance VI Labs
Ravenscroft 275 and our True Keys Pianos are not VST instruments

This is what I am wondering about.

Why restrict your products to only the one option for playback ?

This was my thinking as well but after some thought (and after successfully getting Ravenscroft to run inside Ivory Cantibile), here is my interpretation:

Why restrict? He mentioned cost, compatibility, and technical requirements.

Originally Posted by dmd

It would seem to be in VILabs best interest to allow it to run in a variety of environments. Why not make it a VST instrument so it will run on a variety of DAWS ?

Is it cost ? Sales Strategy ?

By using UVI Workstation, VI Labs saves money and improves on quality control and compatibility. I am viewing UVI Workstation as the VST Instrument, and UVI Workstation can host many different instruments, including the Ravenscroft.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mta88
@dmd.. hey I was just curious about your speaker setup... are u satisfied with the bass u get from your Focal CMS40 powered monitors? By chance you are running a sub with that as well?

I just purchased a pair of KRK monitors Rokit 6 gen 3 recently. Waiting for my uncle to bring it down for me though.

Not sure if i made a mistake or not going for KRK instead of a better brand but only time will tell i guess.

Sorry for the tangent guys.. Back to Ravenscroft... This software piano really looks promising. Excited to try it out one day.

I have Rokit 8s and I mulled over gettings the 6s for a long time. In theory, I think the 6s are fine but I ended up getting the 8s as a bit of overengineering my setup.

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mta88

I have Rokit 8s and I mulled over gettings the 6s for a long time. In theory, I think the 6s are fine but I ended up getting the 8s as a bit of overengineering my setup.

I just hope that they are good.. I can't demo anything where i live.. only studio monitors i can find locally were some pioneers that were overpriced..

I saw ravenscroft used a pair of focal solo6... yikes.. thats 2500 bucks!

can they really be that much better?.. the vpc1 is cheaper!

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission