Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2238288 - 02/27/14 03:56 AM Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord
Julien Pierre Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Playing my favorite works on my recently acquired harpsichord.
Hope you can get past the bad tuning in the aria, I didn't have a humidifier yet, and the instrument wasn't holding tune yet.

Edited by Julien Pierre (02/27/14 03:57 AM)

#2238757 - 02/27/14 10:03 PM Re: Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord [Re: Julien Pierre]
Julien Pierre Offline

I just re-recorded the aria with the instrument in tune this time, and slower tempo.

#2238769 - 02/27/14 10:28 PM Re: Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord [Re: Julien Pierre]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
That is a mellow sounding harpsichord! Very lovely!

Can you share some of the story? Who built it? How did you acquire it? Has it been "re-furbished"? Are those new strings? What kind of strings are they? What pitch is this tuned to? What temperament?

Thanks for sharing these selections! thumb You might want to consider joining the fun in the Suites e-cital coming up in November. Here's the thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2215050/1/Themed_recital:_Suites.html

There is an updated list of entries at the end of the thread. Wouldn't it be fun to have a Baroque suite presented on the harpsichord?

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (02/27/14 10:31 PM)

#2238796 - 02/27/14 11:52 PM Re: Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Julien Pierre Offline

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
That is a mellow sounding harpsichord! Very lovely!

Thank you !

Quote:

Can you share some of the story? Who built it?

It is a Zuckermann harpsichord, made from a kit.
It was built in 1976 in San Francisco by Kathy Roberts Perl who was a harpsichord student at the time, became a teacher, and is now a performer.

Quote:

How did you acquire it? Has it been "re-furbished"? Are those new strings? What kind of strings are they? What pitch is this tuned to? What temperament?

I bought it just before Thanksgiving 2013 from Lilian Gordis who was one of Kathy Roberts' students. She is now a professional harpsichordist and lives in Europe.
http://lilliangordis.com/english/
More accurately, I bought it from her parents as I have not met Lillian yet, but I will on her next trip to the Bay area.
Lillian had some work done on the instrument to allow easy transposing to A=440, and a new stand. I am not aware of anything else being done to it. Maybe paint, but not sure.

It is tuned to A=415 Hz and Kellner temperament. I tuned it just prior to the recording last night.
I only used one of the 2 x 8ft stops for this newest recording of the Aria.
There is also a 4ft stop which was not engaged because I had not retuned it yet.
We have had some rain lately and everything was sharp, especially in the treble.
I am not exactly sure what the strings are made of. You could look on the Zuckermann web site to find out.

Quote:

Thanks for sharing these selections! thumb You might want to consider joining the fun in the Suites e-cital coming up in November. Here's the thread:

I am glad you like them.
I am not up to speed on what an e-cital is. But if it's anything like a live recital, I don't know if I am up for it.
While this latest aria was a first and only take, for most of the recordings, I do lots of takes, sometimes as many as 60. It took me a week to record variation 25, and I only succeeded because I cut the repeats. I was too unreliable otherwise. I almost never play live. It takes me forever to learn something new - I can't sightread at anywhere near performance speed. Just one voice at a time at slow tempo, if that. I play everything from memory, as you can see in the videos. I have been working on the Goldberg since 2002 which is when I started playing keyboard. I don't have much of a repertoire. I'd love to learn some more works but my time is limited as I work as a software engineer by day. And as I said, I learn slowly.

Julien

#2243472 - 03/09/14 06:10 AM Re: Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord [Re: Julien Pierre]
Julien Pierre Offline

Here is one more I did a few hours ago. Variation 7.

#2268860 - 04/29/14 09:17 PM Re: Goldberg variation Aria, variation 1, 18, 25 on harpsichord [Re: Julien Pierre]
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan
These are great video posts. I'm so jealous of your harpsichord! Would love to buy one eventually when I have more space!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
176 registered (accordeur, aesop, ajames, 54 invisible), 1805 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156835 Topics
2304481 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale: PE-2 PIANO PEDAL EXTENDER
by TakomaRose
2 minutes 24 seconds ago
How is this possible?
by kaanguner
3 minutes 14 seconds ago
Questions About Piano Magic for Sheet Music Readers
by newbert
14 minutes 54 seconds ago
Hammers and action parts selection for Mason and Hamlin
by Lyra
Today at 12:46 PM
Looking for SoCal retailers to try an RD-800 or MP7
by Delphian2001
Today at 12:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission