2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jotur
I'll record Bethena this weekend, and then make a final run at Original Rags the next week. Nothing like down to the wire! I think it's great that you folks have already got yours in so you can sit back and relax.

Oh, go ahead and swing it, Rerun, you know you want to smile

Cathy

I think I'll swing some on the fly, this tune has "Go ahead, improvise me" written all over it. grin

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I tried recording new rag tonight but I'm having problems getting a clean recording because the left hand goes pretty low and I can't play the right notes without looking at my left hand and then I'm not looking at the music and the whole thing stops up. I occasionally have wrong notes for other reasons also. It's obvious I'll have to memorize it so I've decided to work on that instead of doing more recordings right now.

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Bethena is sounding really good, IMO, so I'll submit this weekend. The octaves on Original Rag are more and more often at tempo, and I could even start them a little more upbeat than I've been doing while working them up, so I actually think they'll be ready to record before the deadline. Knock on wood smile

Congratulations to those of you who have submitted your pieces. Well done.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
A lot of recording being done around the world this weekend, I suspect.

I managed to get one this morning, that is a fair representation of where it's at currently. My goal was this weekend, so happy to be in by noon Saturday.

Best of luck everyone. This will be great ...

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I've got a recording ready to go but was hoping I'd get a chance to do something better before the deadline. At the moment though it's in the balance whether there'd be enough free time.

Does anyone know if the auto-upload scheme leaves open the option to submit an updated/improved recording before the deadline?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yes, you can re-submit your recording. The only consequence is that your entry will drop to the last one, rather than staying in the original order.

I have a recording, but am also thinking that I'll try again.

But we'll see.

Cathy

Cathy
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- thanks Cathy, I'm just as likely to forget what day it is this week so I'll play it safe and upload what I've got.

Looking forward to tuning in!!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Bethena's in. Looks like both of mine are going to be pieces of workmanship, rather than really music, but it might give people a hint of what Joplin does!

Now to go work some more on Original Rags.

Cathy

Cathy
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm hoping for the middle of the week - it's still pretty shaky. Anyway, I'll be cutting it close.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

I crashed my car into a bridge. And I don`t care . . .I love it

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? Not gonna happen is it? The older you get . . .the more brazen you get.

I have broad shoulders, They also slope . . . my recording will be fun. It will not be technically correct.

Peter, that's quite inspiration to a gal who takes her flubs all too seriously. Wise words - you are having GREAT fun - I can't wait to hear your piece!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
How on earth does anybody play 4 different melody sections, with repeats and consequential change overs from memory and not expect mistakes? ...

Practice grin

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R

Gee... I hope that everybody will turn out music. Yes, there are those who will listen and think this or that on technical viewpoints. Making music is what it's all about. I know you're good at doing that. Know I'll enjoy what you do.

Strange how those bridges jump out in front of cars. Darn things can't sit still!

Even though there is no way I could do the original of my piece. I was taking it above my simplified version. I got cut back by my teacher. This is not good for my development physiologically. Need to take that incrementally. Everything from my coach verifies this. So I'll be turning out my simplified version that is on the side of musical. Trying to capture the intent, the "stop and smell the roses" of the melody. Trying to make it enjoyable. Not just another bland copy that you people have to tolerate listening to. Hope to get it out sometime today.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Gladiolus Rag is fine (~10 mins a day since 12/1!). I just received my video Recorder Zoom Q2HD

Here's my question... will the instructions in the thread for the Zoom H4 work with this?

Is there a better thread to look at. I have done NOTHING with the recorder at this point.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
I'm in!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
S
S
Whew, I am in too. With Whizbang and Sam S' help I succeeded
in submitting "The Cascades A Rag". Thanks!

A
A
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by AudreyJean
I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world.

That's great news! I have to say I'm going to enjoy listening a recording with imperfect audio quality a hundred times more than not being able to listen to a performance at all. Looking forward to it.

Check that you're going to be able to get the audio off your iPad and that the format is .mp3 or can be converted to .mp3.

Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

The first time I tried to record a video, something about the audio encoding meant that it wouldn't line up with the video I took. For something that's supposed to be easy, technology companies sure can make it difficult.

EDIT: ...aaand I should learn to read.
It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files.

Last edited by Whizbang; 03/11/14 07:53 PM.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A
A
Thanks, Whizbang!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission