Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#2244561 - 03/11/14 03:47 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Great - my birthday cake also arrives by the end of March; would be a nice present and addition to my CA95. One for the home and one for the road. Just looking for a new (bigger) house to stash it ...

Any EU pricing info yet ?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2244570 - 03/11/14 04:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Good job, Kawai, and thanks James for your explanations!!
I like the upright sample very much, it has "body". Some of the Concert tones are still too thin in the mid-up range, at least on demos. I know from experience that some nuances (and a lot of sustain) get lost in recordings, and this could be the case.
I'm not a potential buyer, but I guess this product is gonna be a reference.

#2244596 - 03/11/14 05:39 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Can anyone comment on the decay lenght on the new MPs. Are they on par with Roland's Supernatural piano sounds? or better perhaps?

#2244605 - 03/11/14 06:46 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's simply different;

Kawai decays are nice and long , but in the end still sample-loops (though nicely done) whilst Roland uses SN to avoid typical looping artifacts and present a more dynamic sound. The sound character of the sampled source piano's (Kawai vs Steinway (?)) is huge , so it's a matter of taste and preference which one you like the most. I mean, the overall sound is a bigger noticeable difference then small details in sustain. Pick the one you like ;-)

#2244621 - 03/11/14 08:01 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On the higher trigger point when playing organ sounds: would that not make the effective key dip shallow without bottoming out, and thus require a different playing technique, not only different from piano playing technique, but also different from organ playing technique?

The above is of course conjecture, best is to actually play the thing. Nonetheless, interesting to know others' opinions.

#2244654 - 03/11/14 09:40 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: JFP]
rickard Offline

Originally Posted By: JFP

Musikhaus Korn lists the MP7 at 1595 RRP. For reference, they list the MP11 at 2295 RRP and the MP6 at 1550 RRP. So, possibly / wishfulthinkily 45 more than the MP6?

Actual prices are very different, naturally, with the MP7 at 1490, MP11 at 2149 and MP6 at 1149.

#2244655 - 03/11/14 09:41 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Has anyone seen a European sales , or list price yet for the MP7 ? Or am I being to inpatient...

Edited by JFP (03/11/14 09:41 AM)

#2244729 - 03/11/14 12:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fastlanephil Offline

Loc: United States
My first post.

I'm think I'm going to at least check out the newly arrived CP4 at my not too local music store today before it's gone. There's quite a pro DP retail drought in my area. But I think I'll wait to purchase until I can see and hear a comparison between the MP7 and the CP4 online. As far as I know no one carries the MP6(7) or MP10(11) in Western Washington.

I'll be using it mostly for a midi controller along with my M-Audio Axion 49 which needs to sit on top of the DP at an angle. It looks like the MP7 has been redesigned, possibly to accommodate a top controller. I just need to make sure that the Axiom will clear those knobs in the middle of the MP7.

Reading the manual, it looks like you can set the MP7 transport controls to transmit MMC over MIDI to you DAW host. If you can also set the MP7 keyboard to the lighter organ type of touch you'll have a very versatile keyboard controller. Aftertouch is the only function that is lacking but my newer, better libraries don't utilize aftertouch.

#2244856 - 03/11/14 05:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, fastlanephil!

Originally Posted By: fastlanephil
...I'll be using it mostly for a midi controller along with my M-Audio Axion 49 which needs to sit on top of the DP at an angle. It looks like the MP7 has been redesigned, possibly to accommodate a top controller. I just need to make sure that the Axiom will clear those knobs in the middle of the MP7...

That's exactly my setup too, DP at the bottom, synth on top. Exactly the same issues with access to controls of the bottom DP (a controlling iPod would be ideal), view to music score, etc. We should set up a support group cool

#2244878 - 03/11/14 06:23 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: rickard]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: rickard
Originally Posted By: JFP

Musikhaus Korn lists the MP7 at 1595 RRP. For reference, they list the MP11 at 2295 RRP and the MP6 at 1550 RRP. So, possibly / wishfulthinkily 45 more than the MP6?

Actual prices are very different, naturally, with the MP7 at 1490, MP11 at 2149 and MP6 at 1149.

Lower than the CP4 apparently. Now it's interesting!

#2244957 - 03/11/14 08:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Reading the manual, it looks like you can set the MP7 transport controls to transmit MMC over MIDI to you DAW host.

Yes. wink

If you can also set the MP7 keyboard to the lighter organ type of touch you'll have a very versatile keyboard controller.

Please note that the physical weight of the action will not change, just the perceived weight and - more importantly - the trigger speed. The 'fast' keyboard modes are great for organ and synth lead playing.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2245095 - 03/12/14 12:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
fastlanephil Offline

Loc: United States
James,

Thanks for the confirmation about the MMC function. I realize that you can't change the actual key bed feel. I think I remember many years ago someone tried to do something like this or it was just a dream. grin

I checked out the Yamaha CP4 at Music 6000 today. I liked the action and the DP sounds. I wasn't too impressed by the non-piano sounds but I think someone had been fooling with it. The action is quite a bit lighter than my Yamaha P-140. It's closer to my old CLP-555 grand but much better. It reminded me a little of the Steinway action also but didn't really have the Steinway accelerated action.

The MP7 has the RH2 key bed. I'm assuming this is the same as the RH ll and the Responsive Hammer ll. I'll check with Prosser Piano in Tacoma and see if they have either the CS4, the CN34 or the CN24 models in stock which also use this key bed so I can at least try out the RH2 action.

#2245097 - 03/12/14 12:46 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
9000 Post Club Member

The MP7 has the RH2 key bed. I'm assuming this is the same as the RH ll and the Responsive Hammer ll.

Yes, that's right.

I'll check with Prosser Piano in Tacoma and see if they have either the CS4, the CN34 or the CN24 models in stock which also use this key bed so I can at least try out the RH2 action.

Ah, good call on the CS4 - I had forgotten about that one. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#2245204 - 03/12/14 07:31 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
SprazeR Offline

damn I was going to buy KAWAI ES7
but I told myself I should wait for musikmesse = =

what do you guys think about the price of ES7? they are selling them at $2000 now.....

is Mp7 better than ES7 all the way?

does the differ of the sampling between them so noticeable?

#2245242 - 03/12/14 10:06 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Deffie Offline

Unless you want/need built-in speakers, yes, the MP7 should be the better board all around.

#2245302 - 03/12/14 11:59 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Has there been a shipping date announced for the MP7? It may not actually be shipping in quantity for 2-3 months, and even then initial supplies may be constrained compared to the demand. If you're needing something sooner rather than later, the ES7 may be the better choice.

Of course, the ES7 has built in speakers as Deffie mentioned, and the ES7 has a nice furniture style stand/triple pedal option that may be desirable depending on what you intend to use the piano for (it probably blends in better to your house decor).

With that said, The MP7 is a newer generation of technology and if they end up being comparable in price, I would guess it's the better overall option (though you'll need to purchase monitors/speakers, or at least headphones, which will up the total unit price)

Warm Regards

#2245555 - 03/12/14 07:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but have been following the comments on the MP7 with great intrest. I work at a piano retailer in country Victoria (Australia) and also play in various bands around my area. I have owned & used various keyboards over the years including Kawai & Roland & have gone from an MP-5 to an MP-6 and earlier this week, ordered an MP-7. I am hoping to be able to use it at a gig on the 29th of March all going well. The RRP in Australia is going to be $2295 which will make it cheaper than the RRP of a ES-7 which pleasantly suprised me, although the stock coming in is going to be limited until later in the year. Any of the Australian guys passing through who would like to have a try after it arrives would be most welcome & I would love to get other peoples feedback.

#2245564 - 03/12/14 08:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
ordered an MP-7. I am hoping to be able to use it at a gig on the 29th of March all going well. The RRP in Australia is going to be $2295

Hey, that sounds like a really good price. I'm really pleased you're getting a good deal on the MP7. Often, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like you pay a lot more in Aus than in Europe or the US. But this looks a very good deal. Good luck with the MP7, anyway.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2245567 - 03/12/14 08:11 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fizikisto]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Has there been a shipping date announced for the MP7?

The MP7 should be available in Europe from April, and I expect the US will follow shortly after. However according to my colleagues in Australia (and Alleycat6315's post above), it may be available a little earlier in other markets.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2245569 - 03/12/14 08:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alleycat6315
I have owned & used various keyboards over the years including Kawai & Roland & have gone from an MP-5 to an MP-6 and earlier this week, ordered an MP-7.

Wow, that's a great run! wink

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how the board compares with the MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

#2245570 - 03/12/14 08:22 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hope that discount Yeti comes to Canada too.

#2245602 - 03/12/14 09:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: toddy]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Hey, that sounds like a really good price. I'm really pleased you're getting a good deal on the MP7. Often, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like you pay a lot more in Aus than in Europe or the US. But this looks a very good deal. Good luck with the MP7, anyway. [/quote]

Thanks Toddy. We have in the past paid more in Australia but our friends at Kawai Australia have been lobbying to even up things a bit & it appears to be making a difference!

Thank you Kawai James. I will certainly let you know how it compares. From what I can tell most of the things I loved about the other MP's will still be there. I love the zones & setups and the fact the button to switch the zones on, are below the volume sliders and easily accessible to your left hand. I noticed on the RD 800 they still have them above the sliders which amazed me. It is those little things that make it much more user friendly.
I did offer my services in December last year to take a prototype on the road for a test run but unfortunately my services were not required for this! Maybe next time there is a new model??

#2245660 - 03/12/14 10:57 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Alleycat6315
I work at a piano retailer in country Victoria (Australia)...... Any of the Australian guys passing through who would like to have a try after it arrives would be most welcome...

Might help if we knew where we are passing through... wink

#2245856 - 03/13/14 10:31 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

EU / NL price 1490 incl Tax. Estimated delivery beginning of april. I think I want one, just wait till Musik Messes is over and all products have been announced. New Kurzweil seems promising too, but keys are ...mwah...and pricing will be at least twice as high as the MP7.

#2245904 - 03/13/14 11:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Good point Ando. Wangaratta Victoria. :-)

#2246244 - 03/13/14 10:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

One time MP6 owner here. I would still be an owner If I had'nt got a bit tired of the acoustic piano sound - so the
new improved MP looks to have enough refinements to make me
take another look. An its quite a looker itself - very sleek!

It looks like you are now able to save a diferent touch setting to each registration YAY!!!( James - can you confirm this!)and not have to rely on the offset or 'Dynamics'setting which was not usefull for me.

Touch is now part of the Virtual Technician so I'm guessing its now not Global.

Also noticed that the MP7 has the same lid or 'Topboard' parameter as the MP11 but NOT the 'Briteness' control.
So not identical, sonicaly with the MP11?

Or am I nitpicking here?

#2246256 - 03/13/14 10:53 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: puff
It looks like you are now able to save a diferent touch setting to each registration YAY!!!( James - can you confirm this!)and not have to rely on the offset or 'Dynamics'setting which was not usefull for me.

Correct. wink

Originally Posted By: puff
Also noticed that the MP7 has the same lid or 'Topboard' parameter as the MP11 but NOT the 'Briteness' control.
So not identical, sonicaly with the MP11?

No, the MP7 does not include the 'Brilliance' Virtual Technician parameter.

Cheers,
James
x

#2246551 - 03/14/14 02:05 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
That is interesting. I really like having the brilliance setting although it should be easy enough to program and store in either the MP7 or MP11.

I had a little communication with Kawai US about where I'm at with trying to choose a keyboard. I asked about availability: MP11 is out of stock until June, MP7 will be 'available soon'.

I feel like I am leaning toward the MP11 but maybe the MP7 if find the wooden keys heavy after extended use. it's a tough call - MP7 will have a better price point, MP11 has the wooden keys, MP7 might have a few more sounds, MP11 has a little more piano tuning options.

The rep also said functionally the MP7 and MP11 are very similar in performance - which is what I had expected - basically the 'zones' and 'sections' function in a similar fashion. I kind of like the 'zones' feature as you can call them whatever you want as opposed to pre-determined e-piano, etc.

#2246555 - 03/14/14 02:10 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
That is interesting. I really like having the brilliance setting although it should be easy enough to program and store in either the MP7 or MP11.

I had a little communication with Kawai US about where I'm at with trying to choose a keyboard. I asked about availability: MP11 is out of stock until June, MP7 will be 'available soon'.

I feel like I am leaning toward the MP11 but maybe the MP7 if find the wooden keys heavy after extended use. it's a tough call - MP7 will have a better price point, MP11 has the wooden keys, MP7 might have a few more sounds, MP11 has a little more piano tuning options.

The rep also said functionally the MP7 and MP11 are very similar in performance - which is what I had expected - basically the 'zones' and 'sections' function in a similar fashion. I kind of like the 'zones' feature as you can call them whatever you want as opposed to pre-determined e-piano, etc.

What would you be using the piano for mainly?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2246617 - 03/14/14 04:34 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Morodiene, thanks for asking. I am happy to run this past a piano teacher smile

Right now my focus is learning piano - I've have been taking lessons and theory at the local music conservatory.

In the future I'd like to play out and mess with styles and rhythms and electronic music, but right now that is not my priority.

I am a little picky and want the best sound and touch I can afford so my options are MP7, MP11, CA65.

The local piano dealer said MP7 would 'be more than I bargained for' and is really geared toward stage use. Kawai rep said just turning the instrument on and playing gives me the touch and tone I'm looking for, and that the MP11 is closest to the CA-65 except for looks.

The CA-65 is an option but a financial stretch (would have to be without an instrument for a few months probably). Obviously it eliminates portability but lends itself to piano focus.

It's hard for me not to be long winded about this stuff but I hope this helps. smile

Edited by Joe Garfield (03/14/14 04:57 PM)

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (alfredo capurso, ando, ajames, anamnesis, AndresD, 33 invisible), 1472 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325988 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission