Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
127 registered (anamnesis, 36251, AndyP, accordeur, acoxcae, 35 invisible), 1423 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#2246635 - 03/14/14 05:18 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
If you want the best keys and don't have to move the DP around go for the GF action. When the CA65 is too expensive and the MP11 within your financial range; take the MP11. Simply better action than MP7 and you don't seem to use the added features of the MP7 in the first place anyway.

GF = noticebly better than RH-II 'piano-wise'. But RH-II is portable whilst GF is not (at most 'transportable' with the MP11).

Indeed...MP11 seems best match in your case.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2246652 - 03/14/14 05:47 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
Morodiene, thanks for asking. I am happy to run this past a piano teacher smile

Right now my focus is learning piano - I've have been taking lessons and theory at the local music conservatory.

In the future I'd like to play out and mess with styles and rhythms and electronic music, but right now that is not my priority.

I am a little picky and want the best sound and touch I can afford so my options are MP7, MP11, CA65.

The local piano dealer said MP7 would 'be more than I bargained for' and is really geared toward stage use. Kawai rep said just turning the instrument on and playing gives me the touch and tone I'm looking for, and that the MP11 is closest to the CA-65 except for looks.

The CA-65 is an option but a financial stretch (would have to be without an instrument for a few months probably). Obviously it eliminates portability but lends itself to piano focus.

It's hard for me not to be long winded about this stuff but I hope this helps. smile

Well, at this price point you are going to find pianos that do a lot of things that you don't necessarily need, but also they will contain the qualities that you do need.

Since electronic music is not a priority and VSTis are pretty popular, you may want to go with the MP11. I have a synth already for other sounds as well as VSTs so I didn't need a piano with a huge sound bank, but I wanted top notch feel and piano sound. That's why I went with the MP11 rather than the MP7. If I wanted something perhaps a bit of a combination piano/keyboard, the MP7 seems to be a great compromise there. Of course the CA65 you get the nice cabinet and on-board speakers, but that price tag can be a bit much if the looks aren't all that important to you.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2246695 - 03/14/14 07:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
JFP and Morodiene, thank you. I will aim for the MP11, or CA65.

#2246896 - 03/15/14 09:23 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
JFP and Morodiene, thank you. I will aim for the MP11, or CA65.

Awesome! Let us know what you got and what you think! I'm especially curious if you get the MP11 what your thoughts are. I'm knee-deep in an opera right now, otherwise I'd be fiddling with mine since my return home. I am itching to mess around with it!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2246960 - 03/15/14 11:45 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

I will, but it will be a while. Kawai said the MP11's are out of stock until June and it might be that long before I have $$$ for the CA65, but we'll see. There is an MP10 waiting for me to try next week.

#2247191 - 03/15/14 08:27 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK
Of the 8 banks of sounds in the MP7 (I'm comparing to the MP6 sound list)the Synth and Drawbar organ banks now have new names
added but all other banks have retained the same names and heirachy as in the MP6 list.
The synth section is totally different so there's no re-cycling of old sounds going on and we know the Drawbar sounds are new - it realy shows in the demos.
Id like to know if the main Rhodes sounds and the wurltizer are new samples or just the old ones - now re-procesed.
Wondering they'll be up to snuff with those in my Yammy CP5?

I think there's only one on this forum able to answer this. wink

#2247309 - 03/16/14 04:15 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
The MP7 vs Roland RD800 competition is on!
Is there anyone out there who's familiar with both actions? Would love to hear some comments

#2247323 - 03/16/14 05:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
david_ka Offline

Loc: Sweden
The Mp7 is 1485 euro on thomann, is this to good to be true:) The cp4 is 1999 euro and rd800 20268 euro.

#2247330 - 03/16/14 06:44 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
10x RD800 would be 20268€
:))

#2247787 - 03/17/14 07:22 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lophiomys]
david_ka Offline

Loc: Sweden
smile

#2247794 - 03/17/14 08:16 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
Its cheaper then I thought in the Uk only £1199

http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/kawai-mp7-stage-piano.ir

So is it worth the extra £200 to get an mp7 then an es7??

Decision decisions!!!

#2247805 - 03/17/14 09:00 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
Here are two demos of the MP7 from Musikmessee 2014. These demos allow a more thorough hearing of the piano sounds, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN009a5jP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lODEycl0Z4

Play On!
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

#2247821 - 03/17/14 09:34 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

MP7 piano sounds are very good, can you get the same quality from external speakers?

I am assuming the recordings are done from the headphones output correct?

Thanks

#2248052 - 03/17/14 06:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fastlanephil Offline

Loc: United States
I'm having my house reroofed today so it was a good time to drive up to Prosser Piano in Tacoma and check out the digital Kawai. The DP sales person was off today but my sales person was pretty knowledgeable. I tried out a Kawai ES7 which has the same key bed( RH2) as the MP7. The action was good- similar to the Yamaha CP4. They also had a MP10 but we couldn't figure out how to get sound out of it.

I also tried out the Kawai CA65 and the CA95. They both have the Grand Feel key bed which is the same as the Kawai MP11. It's definitely a step up from the above mentioned RH2 key bed. The CA65 sounds very good but the CA95 has a fuller, organic sound. They both can also record Standard Midi Files to a USB drive just like the MP11 does. The MSRP on the CA65 is $3965 but the sales person said he could knock about $1500 off of that which makes it pretty competitive. It sounded like the CA95 price is not quite as negotiable.

One of these might one day replace my living room's aging Yamaha CLP-555 mini grand.

In the mean time I'll be waiting for Prosser Piano to get in the MP7.

#2248224 - 03/18/14 06:28 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
puff Offline

He's using the main outs into a digital recorder in those vids.

Towards the end of the first vid hes selected piano sounds that were from the MP6 I think.The drop in quality is pretty apparent.
My Polish is not that good.

In the second vid he actualy gets a bit animated at one point.

Looking forward to his EP demo (and realy hoping he finds his inner Chick Corea)

#2248272 - 03/18/14 09:38 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

puff,

can you elaborate a bit more?

The digital recorder is what we hear on the videos?

Thanks

#2248379 - 03/18/14 12:56 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
LarryMan…

Possibly the player has connected the line-out from the MP7 to the audio in on his video recorder. That's another possibility.

The best way to hear the samples will be when kawaimp.com/mp7 goes live.
At that point we should be able to go to SoundCloud and hear high quality samples from this new board. I'm checking SoundCloud daily, and I'll post anything that appears there for the MP7. James used the words "soon I hope," in answer to my question about when we might expect the kawaimp website to add the MP7.

Cheers!
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

#2248505 - 03/18/14 05:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
puff Offline

Well I assumed that as he un-plugs the recorder every time he talks and then back in when he plays that its all going on to the same digital file for later upload - no?

#2248514 - 03/18/14 05:58 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Calling James, help

Can you answer my question about the EPs a few posts up -before it slips into oblivion.

Have you been working overtime on that new website?

Regards,
puff.

#2248560 - 03/18/14 07:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: puff
Well I assumed that as he un-plugs the recorder every time he talks and then back in when he plays that its all going on to the same digital file for later upload - no?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it.

The chap is connecting the MP7's line out's to the recorder's line in, and when he disconnects the cable the recorder switches back to the onboard mic.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2248570 - 03/18/14 07:53 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
9000 Post Club Member

Can you answer my question about the EPs a few posts up...

Okay, I'll try.

Id like to know if the main Rhodes sounds and the wurltizer are new samples or just the old ones - now re-procesed.

As far as I'm aware the main tine and reed EPs are also new - the same is true for many of the other sounds, even if their names remain unchanged from the MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

#2248586 - 03/18/14 08:32 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Thanks James,

So new sounds on the main EP1 and the Wurly - but not definately new samples.

I guess the sound demos planed for the kawaimp.co/MP7 site are
allready in the bag -but if not it would be usefull to have examples of the Rhodes and Wurly without any effects and just a touchof reverb.

The Yammy CP5 EPs sound authentic naked and Im finding in the MP11 Ep demos the bass notes sound a bit hyped.

#2248689 - 03/19/14 12:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Rappy Offline

The MP7 looks 'the ticket' in many respects. I have it in my sights. Shame the keybed is basically 4 years old techwise though (save the 3rd sensor which is 2 years old). I wasn't that much a fan of the RH2 - feels a bit shallow if I remember correctly from the ES7 - I will revisit it when I get the chance.

The sound engine though shows promise, on paper at least. But this brings me to a grumble - when will we have a satisfactory demonstration of the piano samples? Can anyone really tell the quality of the piano sample banks with this horrific playing that is doing the rounds? The official Kawai dude is just, well, musically defective to be honest. And this Polish guy from the MusikMesse? I struggle for words. The cheap and bad harmonic shifts makes the samples clang, twang and artefact. I'm sure the engine is not like this in reality, but the question is out there and we won't be able to get a sense of the potential until someone who possesses just a little musicality demonstrates them. Please, Kawai, you surely have a roster of musical pianists available?

Maybe my only hope in testing the sounds is in finding one of the 5 places probably in the western world that will stock this on the shop floor.

#2248705 - 03/19/14 01:45 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Rappy]
Musical Dan Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Rappy
The MP7 looks 'the ticket' in many respects. I have it in my sights. Shame the keybed is basically 4 years old techwise though (save the 3rd sensor which is 2 years old). I wasn't that much a fan of the RH2 - feels a bit shallow if I remember correctly from the ES7 - I will revisit it when I get the chance.

The sound engine though shows promise, on paper at least. But this brings me to a grumble - when will we have a satisfactory demonstration of the piano samples? Can anyone really tell the quality of the piano sample banks with this horrific playing that is doing the rounds? The official Kawai dude is just, well, musically defective to be honest. And this Polish guy from the MusikMesse? I struggle for words. The cheap and bad harmonic shifts makes the samples clang, twang and artefact. I'm sure the engine is not like this in reality, but the question is out there and we won't be able to get a sense of the potential until someone who possesses just a little musicality demonstrates them. Please, Kawai, you surely have a roster of musical pianists available?

Maybe my only hope in testing the sounds is in finding one of the 5 places probably in the western world that will stock this on the shop floor.

This is in my sights also. Right now it looks like it's between this and the CP4. (Actually I just noticed it looks like Kawai gives 5 year warranty - 2 years more than Yamaha's 3)

I have to agree that the demo's have not been all that great. Apparently it has the same Piano's as the MP11, however there is no guarantee that the demo's of the MP11 aren't making use of some parameter adjustments which are not available on the MP7.

As always, I think it's best to test them in the store for yourself (with your own headphones). I'm hoping to be able to do this myself later this month.

Edited by Musical Dan (03/19/14 01:45 AM)

#2248783 - 03/19/14 09:21 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

His Kidd...thanks a lot,

Actually my question should be if the sound from the demonstration videos is something that is easily achievable my speakers? since sound from headphone is always better.

#2249149 - 03/20/14 12:07 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Are you guys not satisfied with the samples posted by Kawai?
http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm#tabs-3

(click Demo and go down to the bottom for audio samples)

#2249154 - 03/20/14 12:13 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Are you guys not satisfied with the samples posted by Kawai?
http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm#tabs-3

(click Demo and go down to the bottom for audio samples)

No, they aren't satisfied. Those videos have been posted on here already.

#2249341 - 03/20/14 08:08 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
http://www.kraftmusic.com/sitesearch/?q=Kawai%20mp7

Looks like the price of the MP7 will be what I was figuring, $1799 at Kraft Music. 1k difference between it's bigger sibling like how the MP10 and MP6 were before the rebates, $2499 and $1499, respectively. Of course these are US prices. Not bad at all and I suspect it will really give the CP4 a run for the money! heck I'm considering parting with my P-255 and get one of these!

On a side note I found an excellent condition floor model CP5 for $999, at Guitar Center last week and had to pick it up. So now I'm probably going to part with the P-255 even though I will miss the speakers and the string resonance and probably pick up the MP7 when it's available. I'm going to start another thread about what I've come to realize between the CP4 and the CP5.

Back to the MP7, it looks like a steal can't wait to try one!

Edited by Rhodie73 (03/20/14 08:26 AM)

#2249350 - 03/20/14 08:25 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
9000 Post Club Member

A CP5 for under $1k *is* a steal! Congrats!

James
x

#2249366 - 03/20/14 08:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
A CP5 for under $1k *is* a steal! Congrats!

James
x

Thanks James!

Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
24 minutes 3 seconds ago
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
Today at 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160069 Topics
2350674 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission