Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
56 registered (AnimistFvR, beet31425, 19 invisible), 1130 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 5 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#2249381 - 03/20/14 09:36 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Rhodie73]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Rhodie73
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
A CP5 for under $1k *is* a steal! Congrats!

James
x

Thanks James!

Oh yeah man, I'm jealous big time ! Congrats. I was going to bid on a *at home use* only CP5 on eBay yesterday at $1200. But literally 5 bids came in within the last 5 seconds of the auction and I lost out. It sold at $1365. I understand it's these auto sniping programs people use. I can't compete with that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CP5-High-...=item27e05044fb

The MP7 has drums and patterns right ? I remember the MP10 had them but can't recall if the MP6 did. If it does, how are they ? A huge reason I'm looking at another CP5 are the drums believe or not.. laugh

I need a keyboard/DP with built in drums & grooves for solo gigs I do where I play LH bass and do vocals. More often then not these days, it seems people want a groove or something "extra" going on then just straight piano & vocals.

Was considering a Kronos as sonically it's killin', but too much dough and too complex.

The CP5's drums had great swing, Latin and acoustic style patterns...better then any DP I'd heard. I wonder how the RD800's are ? The 700NX's weren't as good as the CP5's.

If the MP7's drum patterns are good, that would be enough to sway me over to it. I didn't hear any in the few online demos yet.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2249401 - 03/20/14 10:32 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Ferris]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Yes I agree that the CP5's drum patterns are very good and useful. I really just lucked out because I wanted to see if they had a Roland RD800 to try out, but walked out with a CP5! I believe the MP7 has drum patterns like its predecessor the MP6. Having owned the CP4 and now the CP5, I can say that I think he CP5 is somewhat better in terms of features and build quality. I really don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start another one later.

#2249601 - 03/20/14 05:41 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
So did you try out the rd800 as we'll ? If so , what did you think of it and why did you go for the cp5 in the end ?

#2249615 - 03/20/14 06:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I think the $1,799 US price for the MP7 is very competitive. It's much more difficult to find Kawai instruments at GC/MF, and so that will stack up nicely against the $1870 discounted price of the CP4.

It would be great to be able to do a side-by-side comparison with the CP4/40 and the RD800. I suspect that the Yamaha would win the EP battle, but it might be quite a different story when the APs are compared. It's good that all these major contenders are now weighing in at less than 50lbs, although the CPs have almost a 10lbs advantage.

Rhodie73, I'm curious as to your opinion of the P255, and how you think the sound compares with the CP5. I know that's OT in this thread, so maybe you could address it in the new thread you intend to start.

#2249647 - 03/20/14 07:00 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Ferris]
Turnabout Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I understand it's these auto sniping programs people use. I can't compete with that.

Sniping software like JBidWatcher is free.

But it doesn't have to be software. If there's something I really want I typically wait until the end of the auction, watch the countdown clock, then enter a final top bid when it gets to 7 seconds. Just for fun. Lots of times the current high bidder has a secret bid even higher and he wins, sometimes another bidder (whether using sniping software I cannot say) wins, but a good amount of the time I win, and usually below my top bid.

Never bid early, as it lets other potential bidders know there's interest in the item, and sometimes it initiates escalatory bidding in others.

#2249677 - 03/20/14 07:52 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: voxpops
I think the $1,799 US price for the MP7 is very competitive. It's much more difficult to find Kawai instruments at GC/MF, and so that will stack up nicely against the $1870 discounted price of the CP4.

Who is selling the CP4 at $1870? All the online retailers appear to have it at $2199.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2249690 - 03/20/14 08:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Who is selling the CP4 at $1870? All the online retailers appear to have it at $2199.

James
x

Yes, that's the MAP, but Guitar Center and Musician's Friend offer discount coupons periodically - usually 15%. If you time your purchase well, you can just show up at your local GC, wave the coupon at them, and they'll sell you the item at the discounted price. As long as the item is in stock at the warehouse (doesn't have to be in the store), there's usually no problem; however, if it's a special order or something not yet available from the manufacturer, you may have an indefinite wait.

#2249693 - 03/20/14 08:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
9000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see.

Well, in that case $1,799 with the same 15% discount makes the MP7 an even more attractive proposition. wink

James
x

#2249694 - 03/20/14 08:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see.

Well, in that case $1,799 with the same 15% discount makes the MP7 an even more attractive proposition. wink

James
x

It certainly does, but GC/MF are often slow to stock Kawai instruments. I certainly hope they get the new MPs.

#2249696 - 03/20/14 08:21 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
9000 Post Club Member

I recall a post from someone who had purchased a VPC1 from Musician's Friend using the 15% discount, so I assume the same will work with the MP11/MP7 once the store adds it to their catalogue (at the time of writing their website still lists the MP10/MP6).

Cheers,
James
x

#2249707 - 03/20/14 08:44 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

Don't expect too many Guitar Center or Musicians Friend coupons in the near future. GC is in the process of being taken over by its main creditor Ares Capital, as it has $1.6 billion in debt, much of it remaining from its $2.7 billion leveraged buyout in 2007 by Bain Capital (the firm Mitt Romney co-founded). And MF is a subsidiary of GC.

Every year for the last several years MF had a 15%-off coupon for President's Day but this year it was a more modest sale on accessories only. It's not hard to see why considering how they're hemorrhaging cash. Guitar Center reported a net loss of $398.7 million in the quarter ended Sept. 30, compared with a $25.7 million loss a year earlier. At any rate, cost-cutting may be the order of the day there so don't count on big coupons now to lower prices.

#2249709 - 03/20/14 08:48 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Originally Posted By: Turnabout
Every year for the last several years MF had a 15%-off coupon for President's Day but this year it was a more modest sale on accessories only.

Hmm . . . I'm not so sure. I bought a P-255 from zZounds when they price matched (actually beat) a 15% off in-store quote from GC.

#2249710 - 03/20/14 08:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day - and some pretty good specials, too.

#2249713 - 03/20/14 08:56 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

That is true, they had one 15% off sale this year. (And for the next 3 days they offer 15% on some gear if you use a GC credit card.) But they used to offer deals a lot more, and so did MF, which has only offered "15% Off Top Select Accessories" in 2014. The takeover by Ares has not yet been concluded, and it remains to be seen whether GC will continue to offer these discounts in the future.

#2249714 - 03/20/14 09:00 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Turnabout Offline

Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day

Yes, I agree that GC had a limited 15% coupon, which did include Yamaha and other in-stock pianos but not "Ampeg, Apogee Duets, Apple, Audix, Bose, Crate, Crown, DBX, Digitech, Edirol, ESP, EVH, Fender, some Gibson and Epiphone, Gretsch guitars, Jackson, JBL, KRK, Lexicon, Mackie, Martin, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, QSC, some Roland/BOSS products, Royer Labs, Shure, Soundcraft, Squier, SWR, and select Korg, Marshall, Vox"

And MF did not offer any similar coupon as they have done in years past. The company is in over a billion dollars in debt and lost a quarter-billion in just one quarter last year, so I'm just saying not to count on the discount coupon party continuing...

#2249715 - 03/20/14 09:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If they do discontinue the coupons (although that is by no means certain), the MP7 will still come in well under 2k, which may well be a barrier, psychological or otherwise, for many players.

#2249716 - 03/20/14 09:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, I agree that GC had a limited 15% coupon, which did include Yamaha and other in-stock pianos but not "Ampeg, Apogee Duets, Apple, Audix, Bose, Crate, Crown, DBX, Digitech, Edirol, ESP, EVH, Fender, some Gibson and Epiphone, Gretsch guitars, Jackson, JBL, KRK, Lexicon, Mackie, Martin, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, QSC, some Roland/BOSS products, Royer Labs, Shure, Soundcraft, Squier, SWR, and select Korg, Marshall, Vox"

The exclusion list does not apply when you show up in the store. It's the same when you call MF in person. However, if you try to use the coupons online, they will not be accepted for most things.

#2249723 - 03/20/14 09:29 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

The printed coupons had the exclusion list.

If the stores were accepting the coupons for excluded items... no wonder they're in such bad financial shape!

#2249725 - 03/20/14 09:36 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My last coupon purchase from GC was the Roland FP-50 (one of the so-called excluded items).

To be honest, I'm not sure it's the coupons that have caused the problems; they generate a lot of extra sales. The use of coupons certainly peaked during the depths of the recent recession, and that may have been instrumental (no pun intended) in keeping GC/MF going through hard times. The financial issue is more likely connected to the cost of running hundreds of brick and mortar stores in competition with those who maintain only a central base and an online presence.

#2249734 - 03/20/14 10:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

Thanks for the heads up - I totaly missed those demo-clips!

You need to scroll down passed the videos.

The MP7 sounds great in those clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m3WC-gbd_xs

I just found this new U-tube MP7 flick (one of those Polish ones) It realy comes across as an inspirng instrument.With those 4 knobs its now easy to sculpt the sound in a musical way.

I think its now the instrument I had hoped for when I got the MP6. The Organs and even synths sound killer!

And did I say that you can now STORE A DIFFERENT TOUTCH CURVE IN EACH USER REGISTRATION!

#2249735 - 03/20/14 10:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Meant to say that the sound clips are on the German www.kawai.de website.

http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm

#2249739 - 03/20/14 10:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
9000 Post Club Member

I'll be adding those MP7 audio clips to the Soundcloud page shortly (we need them for the website), and perhaps a handful of others if I find the time... wink

There's also a playlist of the Musikmesse clips on the MP Youtube page and facebook.

Cheers,
James
x

#2249741 - 03/20/14 10:15 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
puff Offline

Voxpops
Maybe you should start a new "Dose Guitar Centre still sell Guitars" thread. wink

#2249745 - 03/20/14 10:20 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: puff

Voxpops
Maybe you should start a new "Dose Guitar Centre still sell Guitars" thread. wink

I would, but the whole subject of guitars makes me yawn! wink

#2249747 - 03/20/14 10:24 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

James
Do you remember about 3 years ago I asked (or pestered)you If the different toutch curves could be added to the MP6 in an OS update?
Just wondered if many other users requested this feature?
Any way mucho thanks for listening.

#2249749 - 03/20/14 10:28 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
puff Offline

Yeah, I prefer just playin'em too!

Night night!

#2249753 - 03/20/14 10:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: puff
Do you remember about 3 years ago I asked (or pestered)you If the different toutch curves could be added to the MP6 in an OS update?
Just wondered if many other users requested this feature?
Any way mucho thanks for listening.

Yes, I remember you asking. wink

I believe a number of MP6 owners made similar requests. We tried to refine the touch curves for piano and EP playing, and I recall some users appreciated the improvements. However, it didn't really address the request for separate (non-global) touch curves. Unfortunately, this restriction was part of the MP OS, which I assume dated back to the MP8 architecture...if not the MP9000, so it was difficult to overcome without a considerable re-write.

The MP7 architecture is very similar to the MP11, and therefore far more flexible, allowing touch curves for individual sounds and zones.

Cheers,
James
x

#2250153 - 03/21/14 08:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Thanks James,

If I remember correctly the updated OS for the MP6 improved the Acoustic piano touch and dynamics only.I always like EPs to have a different curve. Anyway this is now academic.
Im thinking that the MP7 can now use the triple pedal unit as it
has four(?) pedal jack sockets.

Is this the case?

#2250283 - 03/22/14 01:38 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
Are you guys not satisfied with the samples posted by Kawai?
http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm#tabs-3

(click Demo and go down to the bottom for audio samples)

No, they aren't satisfied. Those videos have been posted on here already.

Note that I said *audio samples, which are below the videos. There is more variety of sounds and higher quality audio. I think the piano tones sound nice. I can hear a pretty distinct difference between the MP7, the CA65, and the ES7, liking them in that order.

#2250285 - 03/22/14 01:42 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day

And MF did not offer any similar coupon as they have done in years past. The company is in over a billion dollars in debt and lost a quarter-billion in just one quarter last year, so I'm just saying not to count on the discount coupon party continuing...

Sometimes if you call or go to the online support chat they will still honor the coupon. I just did that with a Yamaha keyboard not long ago. The webpage said Yamaha was excluded but the guy said most places would honor it if you ask. Guitar Center's asking prices are not the lowest so they can afford to make deals.

Page 5 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
Today at 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342062 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission