Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
95 registered (Almaviva, Anne'sson, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1469 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#2243853 - 03/09/14 08:05 PM KAWAI MP7 THREAD
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2243896 - 03/09/14 09:03 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
James…

Will the kawaimp.com site be updated to include the new MP7, or does the 7 get its own website?

What an awesomely beautiful board. What's not to like? Think I'll go take a look at your manual!

Congratulations, James. Two stunning new additions to the Kawai stage piano line (MP7/MP11)!

Play On!
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

#2243901 - 03/09/14 09:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
HisKidd Offline

DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2243902 - 03/09/14 09:15 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
What is the price point? I am interested in US.

#2243925 - 03/09/14 09:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Musical Dan Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
What's the weight? Also how long will it take to get to Australia?

#2243926 - 03/09/14 09:52 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Weight is shown as 46 pounds.

#2243953 - 03/09/14 10:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: HisKidd]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: HisKidd
Will the kawaimp.com site be updated to include the new MP7, or does the 7 get its own website?

Yes, the MP7 content will be added to www.kawaimp.com/mp7 (currently just a teaser page), then a model selection/overview will be added to the top page at www.kawaimp.com .

What an awesomely beautiful board.

Yes I totally agree! I was totally bowled over when I saw the first prototype - it's like a little brother version of the MP11. wink

Think I'll go take a look at your manual!

Thank you! Suffice it to say, I didn't re-use the old Unix-style MP6 manual format...actually it's very similar to the MP11 manual as both models share a lot of the same functionality.

As always, multi-language PDFs available from here:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals.html

I was informed of some typos recently, so will update the PDFs when the MP7 website content is online.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2243957 - 03/09/14 11:00 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Musical Dan Offline

The ultimate pianos for Concert, Pop, and Jazz
The MP7 captures the beautiful sound of Kawai’s highly acclaimed hand-built concert grand piano, with all 88 keys of this exceptional instrument meticulously recorded, analysed and faithfully reproduced using proprietary Harmonic Imaging™ XL technology. This unique process accurately recreates the broad dynamic range of the original grand piano, affording pianists an extraordinary level of expressiveness ranging from the softest pianissimo to the strongest, boldest fortissimo. With separate variations for Concert, Pop, and Jazz playing, the MP7 offers an excellent selection of high quality acoustic piano sounds suitable for various musical styles, including a separate sub-category devoted entirely to upright and mono pianos. Moreover, Kawai’s unique Virtual Technician feature allows various characteristics of the selected acoustic piano sound to be shaped at the touch of a button or the turn of a knob, with parameters to adjust voicing and regulation, string and damper resonances, and subtle hammer, damper, and key release noises.

Does this mean that there is only one sampled Piano, the the different Pianos types just undergo different later processing?

Edited by Musical Dan (03/09/14 11:01 PM)

#2243962 - 03/09/14 11:25 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

I read in the description of "harmonic imaging" that they sample only one piano, but use different equipment to sample it for the different tones. For example, recording equipment associated with modern rock was used to sample the piano for the 'Rock' piano tone. So that leads me to believe the sound was not processed to change the tone. Of course there probably is some processing, but hard to say how much.

Edited by Joe Garfield (03/09/14 11:28 PM)

#2243964 - 03/09/14 11:28 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/Features/harmonic_imaging2010.html

Quote:
Many upper models also feature a “Pop Piano” sound. Like the others, this is also an EX Concert Piano, but the recording methods and equipment were those used on many famous pop and rock piano recordings done in Los Angeles area recording studios.

#2243968 - 03/09/14 11:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
HisKidd Offline

Musical Dan…

Just took a gander at the "sound list" in the manual. The piano section includes, by my count, 28 piano sounds (7 banks of 4 each). The first 12 are the same names as the present 12 on the MP6 (Concert Grand, Concert Grand2, Studio, Mellow, Jazz, Pop, Bright, etc.). In addition there are groups of pianos for mono, octave, upright, new age; 4 different "piano variations," and piano/EP combinations.

To my knowledge Kawai has always created its samples from its own Grand Pianos, that is to say, all the piano sounds are created using a Kawai instrument. I recall reading that different effects are created by the positioning of microphones, etc. So, yes- you are getting sample variations from a Kawai Grand Piano.

Kawai James can jump in here and correct any information I have wrong, and/or offer additional information.

Play On!
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2243973 - 03/10/14 12:05 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Musical Dan
Does this mean that there is only one sampled Piano, the the different Pianos types just undergo different later processing?

No, as with the MP11, the MP7 features different piano samples (mic type/positioning and voicing) for each category.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2243974 - 03/10/14 12:11 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

No, as with the MP11, the MP7 features different piano samples (mic type/positioning and voicing) for each category.

Kind regards,
James
x

But presumably from the same source piano?

#2243977 - 03/10/14 12:37 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
But presumably from the same source piano?

I believe there are also different instruments from different recording sessions too.

Cheers,
James
x

#2243982 - 03/10/14 12:48 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
HisKidd Offline

James…

I have had my MP6 for three years, and I'm definitely looking to trade up for either the MP7 or the MP11.

I have a question for you about the processing of the sound samples. Perhaps the biggest complaint against the MP6 was that it did not contain the same quality sound samples as the MP10. I noted that with the MP7, it has the HI (Harmonic Imaging with 88 key sampling), and not the PHI ("Progressive Harmonic Imaging"). Does this mean that any sound improvements are going to come from the new processors on board, and not from a higher quality initial sample (PHI)?

I noted that the ES7 has the PHI feature as do the MP10/11. What can you tell us about the "quality" of the samples in the MP7 compared to the MP6/MP11? Noting that the first 12 piano samples are exactly the same as the MP6 menu, what can you tell us has been done to improve the piano samples of the MP7? My experience with the MP6 is that there are 3 or 4 good sample sounds, but the remaining piano sounds are marginal. That seems to be a common sentiment amount MP6 users. Listening to the samples online, they do not sound to be as bright as the MP11. Have you compared the MP7's piano samples yourself? What can you tell us about improvements in piano sounds, if any? There's always the MP10 or MP11, but I was hoping that with the arrival of the MP7, Kawai would step up the quality of the piano samples….

Thanks in advance…
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2243984 - 03/10/14 12:57 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: HisKidd]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I noted that with the MP7, it has the HI (Harmonic Imaging with 88 key sampling)...

May I ask where you saw this?

The specifications table in the MP7 owner's manual and on Kawai Europe's MP7 product page both state that the MP7 uses 'Harmonic Imaging XL' (HI-XL). This is the same sample quality as the MP11.

Previously the MP10 had superior sounds to the MP6 (UPHI vs PHI), but now both the MP11 and MP7 utilise the same HI-XL sample quality. It goes without saying that the MP7 is a considerable improvement over the MP6.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2243990 - 03/10/14 01:10 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
What are the major differences between this and the MP11 apart from the keyboard?

#2243995 - 03/10/14 01:28 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lolatu]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
Even though I know that James is the person who knows about these pianos, for a pure piano player, I guess that the action is the major difference.
Number of sounds and effects may be?

#2244007 - 03/10/14 01:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
HisKidd Offline

Here is the information on "harmonic imaging" from the Kawai website:
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/Features/harmonic_imaging2010.html

Thanks for asking for my source, because reading your explanation and this aritcle on how the sound sources are processed has helped me learn more. Yes, there are distinctions between "Harmonic imaging," "Progressive Harmonic Imaging," "Ultra-Progressive Harmonic Imaging," and "Harmonic Imaging, XL. All have 88 key sampling, but the quality of the samples seems to be graded according to which imaging process is used.

I am thrilled to hear your explanation for the piano sounds of the MP7, and that the processing is essentially the same as the MP11 sounds!

This being said the Kawai site gives the specifications as follows:
MP11- Harmonic Imaging, (HI-XL) with 88 key sampling
MP10- Ultra-Progressive Harmonic Imaging with 88 key sampling
MP7 - Harmonic Imaging (HI-XL) with 88 key sampling
MP6 - Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI) with 88 key sampling.
ES7- Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI) with 88 key sampling.

Harmonic Imaging XL:
"Hi-XL extends the length of the critical attack by up to 120%, articulating the characteristics of each note more clearly and organically."

Your answer, and this information are great confidence builders! Now, I can't wait to actually sit down and play the MP7. Have you had the opportunity to do so, James?

As always, thanks for your help!
H.K.

DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2244009 - 03/10/14 01:57 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Musical Dan Offline

Musical Dan…

Just took a gander at the "sound list" in the manual. The piano section includes, by my count, 28 piano sounds (7 banks of 4 each). The first 12 are the same names as the present 12 on the MP6 (Concert Grand, Concert Grand2, Studio, Mellow, Jazz, Pop, Bright, etc.). In addition there are groups of pianos for mono, octave, upright, new age; 4 different "piano variations," and piano/EP combinations.

To my knowledge Kawai has always created its samples from its own Grand Pianos, that is to say, all the piano sounds are created using a Kawai instrument. I recall reading that different effects are created by the positioning of microphones, etc. So, yes- you are getting sample variations from a Kawai Grand Piano.

Kawai James can jump in here and correct any information I have wrong, and/or offer additional information.

Play On!

Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
I read in the description of "harmonic imaging" that they sample only one piano, but use different equipment to sample it for the different tones. For example, recording equipment associated with modern rock was used to sample the piano for the 'Rock' piano tone. So that leads me to believe the sound was not processed to change the tone. Of course there probably is some processing, but hard to say how much.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks guys. This might be enough to hold off on purchasing the Yammy CP4 (assuming it doesn't take forever for the MP7 to get to Australia).

#2244010 - 03/10/14 02:01 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lolatu]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lolatu
What are the major differences between this and the MP11 apart from the keyboard?

• MP7 retains the 'zones' approach of the MP6 and previous 'classic' MPs, while the MP11 retains the 'sections' approach of the MP10.
  • The MP7 features a much broader range of sounds, including tonewheel simulation. The MP11 does not include any organ sounds.
  • The MP7 features 16-track SMF direct playback. The MP11 only allows 2-track MIDI songs (keyboard + drum backing) to be loaded into recorder memory.
  • The MP7 does not feature XLR jacks, the MP11 does.
  • The MP7 includes the F-10H single pedal, but can use the F-20/F-30 (double/triple pedal units respectively) as accessories. The MP11 includes the F-30 as standard.

I expect there are a number of other differences, but these are points that spring to mind initially.

Cheers,
James
x

#2244015 - 03/10/14 02:14 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: HisKidd]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

This being said the Kawai site gives the specifications as follows:
MP11- Progressive Harmonic Imaging, XL with 88 key sampling

May I please ask you to tell me which Kawai website you are referring to?
Any website that lists the MP11 as featuring 'Progressive Harmonic Imaging, XL' is incorrect and should be revised.

To clarify Kawai's different sample standards, in increasing order of expressiveness:

- Harmonic Imaging (HI), 88-key sampling
- Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI), 88-key sampling
- Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging (UPHI), 88-key sampling
- Harmonic Imaging XL (HI-XL), 88-key sampling

Once again, the MP11 and MP7 both utilise the same 'Harmonic Imaging XL' standard.

Have you had the opportunity to do so, James?

I have a prototype sitting to the right of my desk. I actually snapped a picture of it a few months ago, but nobody noticed. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#2244018 - 03/10/14 02:24 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
HisKidd Offline

James…

You are correct… and I've made the change in my earlier post. I took all my info from the Kawai Europe link:
http://www.kawai.de/mp11_en.htm
(for the information on the MP11)

The MP7 and the MP11 are one and the same for sound source:
Harmonic Imaging (HI-XL)- 88 key sampling.

Cheers..
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2244055 - 03/10/14 05:27 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

KJ or others, can the 4 drawbars be used to control, via MIDI, the sound volume of external sound sources in real time? Can't see that from the manual.

#2244064 - 03/10/14 05:59 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: doremi]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doremi
KJ or others, can the 4 drawbars be used to control, via MIDI, the sound volume of external sound sources in real time? Can't see that from the manual.

Yes, the functionality of previous MPs is retained.

When a zone is set to INT the faders control the assigned internal sound volume. When set to EXT the faders control an assigned external MIDI channel. When set to BOTH the faders control both internal sounds and external MIDI channels.

This is mentioned in a few people places, but the first reference is on page 13, in the Introduction chapter.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2244069 - 03/10/14 06:15 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, KJ, very nice feature of the MP7 that the MP11 does not seem to have.

Edit: Which other models have the same RH2 action? So as to get a first feel for the action by proxy.

Edited by doremi (03/10/14 06:21 AM)

#2244071 - 03/10/14 06:22 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: doremi]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks, KJ, very nice feature of the MP7 that the MP11 does not seem to have.

The MP11's faders are for controlling the internal sound section only.
However, the MP11's has a separate MIDI OUT section with four zones that can also be controlled in real time using the assignable knobs.

Edit: Which other models have the same RH2 action? So as to get a first feel for the action by proxy.

The ES7, CS4, CN34, and CN24 all utilise the same RHII action.

Cheers,
James
x

#2244074 - 03/10/14 06:43 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
@ Kawai James:

Is the sustain of the piano sounds in the MP11/MP7 as long as the piano sounds in the CA65/CA95/CS7/CS10 ??

#2244075 - 03/10/14 06:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

For the most part yes, however there are some additional piano sounds on the MP11/MP7 that are not included on the CA/CS models.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2244078 - 03/10/14 06:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
PV1 Offline

Hello,

I believe the MP7 is what I was looking for. I play piano but also composose with other virtual instruments. Do you think the action is suitable for playing other virtual instruments such as orchestral VST's and synths? What about DAW controlling?

Thank you

#2244084 - 03/10/14 07:11 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
IMOL Offline

Yesterday I was among the first to watch videos on youtube.
I was impatient to read the features of the new Mp7.

I like the improvement compared to the MP6.
Unfortunately, the only disappointment is that personally and I think many others expected at least a small improvement on weight. frown
I think if MP6 weighed about 16 kg. would slaughter of hearts.

I am a happy owner of the MP6.
There is a small error in the software mp6, I noticed from the beginning but I've never written in this forum. (Giacomo will definitely intrigued).
However trivial

A question for James:
Are the acoustic piano samples "exactly the same" as the MP11?

#2244087 - 03/10/14 07:23 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi James, when will the MP7 start shipping? What part of the world will it hit first?

#2244110 - 03/10/14 08:26 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: PV1]
Turnabout Offline

Originally Posted By: PV1
I play piano but also composose with other virtual instruments. Do you think the action is suitable for playing other virtual instruments such as orchestral VST's and synths?

You can use it however the quicker, lighter synth action on a basic controller is easier and generally preferable to play synth VSTs on a regular basis, as is a controller with assignable pots for accessing VST features. The graded keyboard of a digital piano actually works against fast, easy synth playing.

#2244114 - 03/10/14 08:32 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: PV1]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PV1
Do you think the action is suitable for playing other virtual instruments such as orchestral VST's and synths? What about DAW controlling?

Yes, the MP7's MIDI controller functionality is very strong.

For playing synth VIs (Omnisphere?), the ability to select a higher 'trigger' point for the keyboard will allow a very light, almost semi-weighted feel for leads.

As for DAW control, the 4-zone MIDI control with assignable parameters will also be very useful. There are also the MMC panel buttons for playback/stop/record etc. controls.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2244128 - 03/10/14 08:56 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: IMOL]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: IMOL
Unfortunately, the only disappointment is that personally and I think many others expected at least a small improvement on weight.

Yes, that's a fair criticism. However I think it would be tough to deliver a sub-20kg 88-key MP without switching to a plastic construction and using an AC power adaptor. Such actions would be at odds with the 'no compromises' philosophy of the MP instruments.

Are the acoustic piano samples "exactly the same" as the MP11?

The main 'Concert Grand' sound is exactly the same.

Kind regards,
James
x

Edited by Kawai James (03/11/14 06:06 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarification about acoustic piano samples.

#2244130 - 03/10/14 08:59 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Hi James, when will the MP7 start shipping? What part of the world will it hit first?

I believe the the MP7 will be available in Europe from early April, however the US shouldn't be too far behind. Other markets will follow shortly after.

Cheers,
James
x

#2244134 - 03/10/14 09:08 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Phlox Offline

@Kawai James:

I think Kawai has another winner !!!

#2244138 - 03/10/14 09:11 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe the the MP7 will be available in Europe from early April, however the US shouldn't be too far behind. Other markets will follow shortly after.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks James. Im very excited. The timing could not be better for me if this hits the US around May.

#2244181 - 03/10/14 10:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Phlox Offline

Double Post

Edited by Phlox (03/10/14 10:30 AM)

#2244190 - 03/10/14 10:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
The MP7 covers more bases than the MP11, from what I can see. The only compromise seems to be the GF action - but the RHII action is still quite good. It will be interesting to see how they are priced in Australia. If they can keep it reasonable, I can see myself going for the MP7.

#2244202 - 03/10/14 11:06 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The ES7, CN34, and CN24 all utilise the same RHII action.

I wonder how this will price vs. the ES7 In the U.S., the ES7 is $1999. Apart from the speakers, the MP7 looks like a nice step up... same action, better piano sound, and a lot more in the way of additional sounds and MIDI functionality. It would seem that the MP7 either has to sell for more than $1999, or the ES7 price should be reduced...?

Unfortunately, the only disappointment is that personally and I think many others expected at least a small improvement on weight.

Yes, that's a fair criticism. However I think it would be tough to deliver a sub-20kg 88-key MP without switching to a plastic construction and using an AC power adaptor. Such actions would be at odds with the 'no compromises' philosophy of the MP instruments.

I would love to see Kawai maintain the MP7 as is as a no-compromise version of what it is, but also offer, say, an MP-7L (Lite) which is the same board with the necessary physical compromises as you describe to get the weight as low as possible. I think total sales of the two combined would be higher as a result, but it would be interesting to see the mix of sales between the two. (Of course, relative price would play a factor there as well.) Though I know that one of the challenges of plastic chassis is that the initial fabrication cost is high, so you have to be pretty confident in being able to project the sales volume to justify it.

#2244207 - 03/10/14 11:18 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
david_ka Offline

Loc: Sweden
For me the mp7 can be what I´ve been looking for. I seems to have what the CP4 haven´t when it comes to organ and drawbars. And the MIDI functionality of the Mp7 seems so be very good. To bad it doesn´t have the XLR-out.

Here in europe the MP11 is a little bit cheaper than the Roland RD800 so it will be interesting to see what the price of the MP7 will be.

#2244210 - 03/10/14 11:24 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
david_ka Offline

And it´s just a little bit bigger than the cp4, 1352 x 339 x 171 mm, and 21kg.

#2244222 - 03/10/14 11:44 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

For someone who would use the MP7 primarily as a piano, how does the different setup (zones vs sections) between the MP6/7 and the MP10/11 impact the user? The MP7 surely has a ton of stuff I would never use but it does have the best piano sample/tone generator of all the portable DP's. The MP10 setup is kind of nice with a section just for piano. I wasn't thrilled about the aesthetics of the DP but after reading the manual, I get it.

I will work on the manual for the MP7 I guess in the meantime.

#2244253 - 03/10/14 12:52 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I wonder how this will price vs. the ES7 In the U.S., the ES7 is $1999. Apart from the speakers, the MP7 looks like a nice step up... same action, better piano sound, and a lot more in the way of additional sounds and MIDI functionality. It would seem that the MP7 either has to sell for more than $1999, or the ES7 price should be reduced...?

I wouldn't underestimate the appeal of built-in speakers, especially if they are powerful enough to accommodate solo gigs. Some people would pay a premium for that functionality alone. For me, if the MP7 had internal speakers (with no additional weight penalty wink ), it might be the perfect DP for me.

As it is, I've always felt that the ES7 was a little overpriced here in the States, particularly when measured against the Roland FP-50. The new MP7 may have a (much) better sound engine, but it still has to compete with the PX-5S, the RD-300NX and the CP4/40.

Edited by voxpops (03/10/14 12:54 PM)

#2244258 - 03/10/14 01:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Quote:
For me, if the MP7 had internal speakers ..., it might be the perfect DP for me.

Me too.

I was comparing numbers of the MP6, MP10, and MP11 (Kraft Music, U.S.):

MP10 to MP11 = $500 cost increase. Add $500 to MP6 price ($1500) and the MP7 could sell for $2000

MP6 to MP10 = $800 cost increase. Subtract $800 from MP11 price ($2800) and the MP7 could sell for $2000.

To me it seems like the ES7 is a different target market for people (like me) who want a simple digital piano with great sound and touch, without a bunch of electronics that we will never use. As such it has speakers. The MP7 is screaming to be hooked up to additional audio equipment - targeted to performers with a more complex rig and some who would say on-board speakers are a waste of space and weight since they always end up using externals anyway.

Of course I would love to see a price drop in the ES7, or an ES8 wink

The ES7 (especially with the stand) would look great in a living room, a church or a wedding, and would work well for small gigs.

(Unfortunately for me) the MP7 is 2 generations ahead in sampling technology, otherwise the ES7 would be a no-brainer. I don't know when the ES7 came out with respect to the UHI technology, but that DP with that technology would have been ideal.

#2244402 - 03/10/14 06:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So I'm absent for a while and then....BOOOM... there's the MP7 (finally) ! Really like it. Nice layout, nice improved design and finally the RH2 in a MP6 successor package with (surprise) non-compromised HI-XL AP's ! Few questions still though; out of curiosity:

1) apart from the HI-XL sampling for the AP's - are any of the "other" sounds that we're available on the MP6 before also improved in sample quality / length ?

2) I noticed there are a few tweaks to the organ patches and presets have been shuffled in order. Completely 'new' however seem to be the synth/pad sounds. Are those indeed a whole new bank of synth patches and are they simply new sample sets, or perhaps even generated waveforms ?

Much has been improved in action, AP sound , handling, routing and effects (and addition of audio-in!); just trying to figure out what other sounds have been enhanced / improved by exchanging sample sets or giving them more memory space.

Overall ; very nice package and with this robust classy design IMHO 21kg is fair. Otherwise it would have been more plastic , which you may - or may not like. I personally don't. With an added 3 pedal unit and other stuff in your back , you'll still have to do some heavy lifting though. Casio remains unbeatable in that respect. But look what you get in return ;-)

#2244464 - 03/10/14 08:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: JFP]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
1) apart from the HI-XL sampling for the AP's - are any of the "other" sounds that we're available on the MP6 before also improved in sample quality / length ?

Yes, the EPs and a number of other sounds are also much improved.

2) I noticed there are a few tweaks to the organ patches and presets have been shuffled in order. Completely 'new' however seem to be the synth/pad sounds. Are those indeed a whole new bank of synth patches and are they simply new sample sets, or perhaps even generated waveforms ?

I'm less familiar with the synth side of the MP7, but I'm pretty sure this has been boosted too, partly thanks to the more powerful tone generator and ability to adjust more finegrain ADSR parameters.

Much has been improved in action, AP sound , handling, routing and effects (and addition of audio-in!); just trying to figure out what other sounds have been enhanced / improved by exchanging sample sets or giving them more memory space.

It's the latter - much more memory compared to the MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

#2244476 - 03/10/14 09:23 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One small but important improvement for synth players seems to be the inclusion of portamento.

Edited by voxpops (03/10/14 09:25 PM)

#2244479 - 03/10/14 09:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Musical Dan Offline

The video mentioned something about an Organ Mode to make it easy to play organ sounds on a weighted keyboard. Does anyone know what this means? I could be wrong but it looked like maybe it made use of the third sensor (i.e. you don't have to press the key the whole way down?)

#2244486 - 03/10/14 10:05 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The video mentioned something about an Organ Mode to make it easy to play organ sounds on a weighted keyboard. Does anyone know what this means? I could be wrong but it looked like maybe it made use of the third sensor (i.e. you don't have to press the key the whole way down?)

Yes, this relates back to what I mentioned a little further up about synth playing (and conveniently responds to Turnabout's comment at the same time...).

Here's the relevant extract from the owner's manual (page 45):

To flesh this explanation out a little more, the RHII action has 3 velocity sensors (s1, s2, s3), and all three are utilised when playing piano sounds in order to accurately measure the speed at which notes are played and released.

However, organs are typically velocity insensitive (i.e. their character/volume does not change depending on the speed at which notes are played). Therefore when selecting the MP7's tonewheel organ mode, the keyboard automatically selects a fixed touch curve. As such, we no longer need to use all three sensors to measure velocity, so can instead freely select which sensor (s1, s2, s3) should be used to trigger the note.

This makes the keyboard action feel very 'fast', and allows authentic organ-style playing on a weighted action that would otherwise be more difficult to achieve.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

#2244533 - 03/11/14 12:30 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
The MP7 covers more bases than the MP11, from what I can see...

That's what I see too, the MP7 will be a bigger cash cow than the MP11.

#2244538 - 03/11/14 01:17 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

MP7 just got posted on the Kawai US site:
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/MP7/mp7.html

#2244540 - 03/11/14 01:27 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: anotherscott]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
The ES7, CN34, and CN24 all utilise the same RHII action.

I would love to see Kawai maintain the MP7 as is as a no-compromise version of what it is, but also offer, say, an MP-7L (Lite) which is the same board with the necessary physical compromises as you describe to get the weight as low as possible. I think total sales of the two combined would be higher as a result, but it would be interesting to see the mix of sales between the two. (Of course, relative price would play a factor there as well.) Though I know that one of the challenges of plastic chassis is that the initial fabrication cost is high, so you have to be pretty confident in being able to project the sales volume to justify it.

This is an excellent idea. The lighter case could be marketed as a "road" or "tour" model. Might work. smile

#2244541 - 03/11/14 01:35 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
And on Kawai Australia too: http://kawai.net.au/digital/MP7
(along with MP11)
If what google says is correct, it is priced similar to US

Edited by Marcos Daniel (03/11/14 01:36 AM)

#2244544 - 03/11/14 01:48 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: anotherscott]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...an MP-7L (Lite)...

Since I don't gig, I would be very happy with an MP-11SH (Super Heavy) that has built-in speakers grin

Edit: Tomorrow is Musikmesse, and no one has put up a thread yet?

Edited by doremi (03/11/14 01:53 AM)

#2244550 - 03/11/14 02:45 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
Musical Dan Offline

The MP7 covers more bases than the MP11, from what I can see. The only compromise seems to be the GF action - but the RHII action is still quite good. It will be interesting to see how they are priced in Australia. If they can keep it reasonable, I can see myself going for the MP7.

My thoughts as well. The Yamaha CP4 is the other main contender. I wish the MP7 was a light as the CP4. Balanced outs would have been nice as well - considering the "no compromises" philosophy.
Price point will probably be the main deciding factor, as I think both boards should have nice sounding pianos. If I can pick one up retail for under $2k AUD, there would be a good chance this would be my choice, though of course I wouldn't purchase it without trying it first.

Kawai James, any idea how long it will take to arrive in Australia?

#2244551 - 03/11/14 02:49 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

According to Kawai Australia's facebook: "Limited stock available in-store from late March!"

Cheers,
James
x

#2244553 - 03/11/14 02:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Musical Dan Offline

Yes, this relates back to what I mentioned a little further up about synth playing (and conveniently responds to Turnabout's comment at the same time...).

Here's the relevant extract from the owner's manual (page 45):

To flesh this explanation out a little more, the RHII action has 3 velocity sensors (s1, s2, s3), and all three are utilised when playing piano sounds in order to accurately measure the speed at which notes are played and released.

However, organs are typically velocity insensitive (i.e. their character/volume does not change depending on the speed at which notes are played). Therefore when selecting the MP7's tonewheel organ mode, the keyboard automatically selects a fixed touch curve. As such, we no longer need to use all three sensors to measure velocity, so can instead freely select which sensor (s1, s2, s3) should be used to trigger the note.

This makes the keyboard action feel very 'fast', and allows authentic organ-style playing on a weighted action that would otherwise be very difficult to achieve.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks for the explanation smile

Edited by Musical Dan (03/11/14 02:54 AM)

#2244554 - 03/11/14 02:55 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Musical Dan Offline

According to Kawai Australia's facebook: "Limited stock available in-store from late March!"

Cheers,
James
x

Sounds perfect.... My Birthday is late March!!! I hope I can convince my wife!

#2244561 - 03/11/14 03:47 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Great - my birthday cake also arrives by the end of March; would be a nice present and addition to my CA95. One for the home and one for the road. Just looking for a new (bigger) house to stash it ...

Any EU pricing info yet ?

#2244570 - 03/11/14 04:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Good job, Kawai, and thanks James for your explanations!!
I like the upright sample very much, it has "body". Some of the Concert tones are still too thin in the mid-up range, at least on demos. I know from experience that some nuances (and a lot of sustain) get lost in recordings, and this could be the case.
I'm not a potential buyer, but I guess this product is gonna be a reference.

#2244596 - 03/11/14 05:39 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Can anyone comment on the decay lenght on the new MPs. Are they on par with Roland's Supernatural piano sounds? or better perhaps?

#2244605 - 03/11/14 06:46 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's simply different;

Kawai decays are nice and long , but in the end still sample-loops (though nicely done) whilst Roland uses SN to avoid typical looping artifacts and present a more dynamic sound. The sound character of the sampled source piano's (Kawai vs Steinway (?)) is huge , so it's a matter of taste and preference which one you like the most. I mean, the overall sound is a bigger noticeable difference then small details in sustain. Pick the one you like ;-)

#2244621 - 03/11/14 08:01 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On the higher trigger point when playing organ sounds: would that not make the effective key dip shallow without bottoming out, and thus require a different playing technique, not only different from piano playing technique, but also different from organ playing technique?

The above is of course conjecture, best is to actually play the thing. Nonetheless, interesting to know others' opinions.

#2244654 - 03/11/14 09:40 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: JFP]
rickard Offline

Musikhaus Korn lists the MP7 at €1595 RRP. For reference, they list the MP11 at €2295 RRP and the MP6 at €1550 RRP. So, possibly / wishfulthinkily €45 more than the MP6?

Actual prices are very different, naturally, with the MP7 at €1490, MP11 at €2149 and MP6 at €1149.

#2244655 - 03/11/14 09:41 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Has anyone seen a European sales , or list price yet for the MP7 ? Or am I being to inpatient...

Edited by JFP (03/11/14 09:41 AM)

#2244729 - 03/11/14 12:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fastlanephil Offline

Loc: United States
My first post.

I'm think I'm going to at least check out the newly arrived CP4 at my not too local music store today before it's gone. There's quite a pro DP retail drought in my area. But I think I'll wait to purchase until I can see and hear a comparison between the MP7 and the CP4 online. As far as I know no one carries the MP6(7) or MP10(11) in Western Washington.

I'll be using it mostly for a midi controller along with my M-Audio Axion 49 which needs to sit on top of the DP at an angle. It looks like the MP7 has been redesigned, possibly to accommodate a top controller. I just need to make sure that the Axiom will clear those knobs in the middle of the MP7.

Reading the manual, it looks like you can set the MP7 transport controls to transmit MMC over MIDI to you DAW host. If you can also set the MP7 keyboard to the lighter organ type of touch you'll have a very versatile keyboard controller. Aftertouch is the only function that is lacking but my newer, better libraries don't utilize aftertouch.

#2244856 - 03/11/14 05:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, fastlanephil!

Originally Posted By: fastlanephil
...I'll be using it mostly for a midi controller along with my M-Audio Axion 49 which needs to sit on top of the DP at an angle. It looks like the MP7 has been redesigned, possibly to accommodate a top controller. I just need to make sure that the Axiom will clear those knobs in the middle of the MP7...

That's exactly my setup too, DP at the bottom, synth on top. Exactly the same issues with access to controls of the bottom DP (a controlling iPod would be ideal), view to music score, etc. We should set up a support group cool

#2244878 - 03/11/14 06:23 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: rickard]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: rickard

Musikhaus Korn lists the MP7 at €1595 RRP. For reference, they list the MP11 at €2295 RRP and the MP6 at €1550 RRP. So, possibly / wishfulthinkily €45 more than the MP6?

Actual prices are very different, naturally, with the MP7 at €1490, MP11 at €2149 and MP6 at €1149.

Lower than the CP4 apparently. Now it's interesting!

#2244957 - 03/11/14 08:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Reading the manual, it looks like you can set the MP7 transport controls to transmit MMC over MIDI to you DAW host.

Yes. wink

If you can also set the MP7 keyboard to the lighter organ type of touch you'll have a very versatile keyboard controller.

Please note that the physical weight of the action will not change, just the perceived weight and - more importantly - the trigger speed. The 'fast' keyboard modes are great for organ and synth lead playing.

Cheers,
James
x

#2245095 - 03/12/14 12:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
fastlanephil Offline

James,

Thanks for the confirmation about the MMC function. I realize that you can't change the actual key bed feel. I think I remember many years ago someone tried to do something like this or it was just a dream. grin

I checked out the Yamaha CP4 at Music 6000 today. I liked the action and the DP sounds. I wasn't too impressed by the non-piano sounds but I think someone had been fooling with it. The action is quite a bit lighter than my Yamaha P-140. It's closer to my old CLP-555 grand but much better. It reminded me a little of the Steinway action also but didn't really have the Steinway accelerated action.

The MP7 has the RH2 key bed. I'm assuming this is the same as the RH ll and the Responsive Hammer ll. I'll check with Prosser Piano in Tacoma and see if they have either the CS4, the CN34 or the CN24 models in stock which also use this key bed so I can at least try out the RH2 action.

#2245097 - 03/12/14 12:46 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fastlanephil]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The MP7 has the RH2 key bed. I'm assuming this is the same as the RH ll and the Responsive Hammer ll.

Yes, that's right.

I'll check with Prosser Piano in Tacoma and see if they have either the CS4, the CN34 or the CN24 models in stock which also use this key bed so I can at least try out the RH2 action.

Ah, good call on the CS4 - I had forgotten about that one. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#2245204 - 03/12/14 07:31 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
SprazeR Offline

damn I was going to buy KAWAI ES7
but I told myself I should wait for musikmesse = =

what do you guys think about the price of ES7? they are selling them at $2000 now.....

is Mp7 better than ES7 all the way?

does the differ of the sampling between them so noticeable?

#2245242 - 03/12/14 10:06 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Deffie Offline

Unless you want/need built-in speakers, yes, the MP7 should be the better board all around.

#2245302 - 03/12/14 11:59 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Has there been a shipping date announced for the MP7? It may not actually be shipping in quantity for 2-3 months, and even then initial supplies may be constrained compared to the demand. If you're needing something sooner rather than later, the ES7 may be the better choice.

Of course, the ES7 has built in speakers as Deffie mentioned, and the ES7 has a nice furniture style stand/triple pedal option that may be desirable depending on what you intend to use the piano for (it probably blends in better to your house decor).

With that said, The MP7 is a newer generation of technology and if they end up being comparable in price, I would guess it's the better overall option (though you'll need to purchase monitors/speakers, or at least headphones, which will up the total unit price)

Warm Regards

#2245555 - 03/12/14 07:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Musical Dan]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but have been following the comments on the MP7 with great intrest. I work at a piano retailer in country Victoria (Australia) and also play in various bands around my area. I have owned & used various keyboards over the years including Kawai & Roland & have gone from an MP-5 to an MP-6 and earlier this week, ordered an MP-7. I am hoping to be able to use it at a gig on the 29th of March all going well. The RRP in Australia is going to be $2295 which will make it cheaper than the RRP of a ES-7 which pleasantly suprised me, although the stock coming in is going to be limited until later in the year. Any of the Australian guys passing through who would like to have a try after it arrives would be most welcome & I would love to get other peoples feedback.

#2245564 - 03/12/14 08:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
ordered an MP-7. I am hoping to be able to use it at a gig on the 29th of March all going well. The RRP in Australia is going to be $2295

Hey, that sounds like a really good price. I'm really pleased you're getting a good deal on the MP7. Often, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like you pay a lot more in Aus than in Europe or the US. But this looks a very good deal. Good luck with the MP7, anyway.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2245567 - 03/12/14 08:11 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: fizikisto]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Has there been a shipping date announced for the MP7?

The MP7 should be available in Europe from April, and I expect the US will follow shortly after. However according to my colleagues in Australia (and Alleycat6315's post above), it may be available a little earlier in other markets.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2245569 - 03/12/14 08:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alleycat6315
I have owned & used various keyboards over the years including Kawai & Roland & have gone from an MP-5 to an MP-6 and earlier this week, ordered an MP-7.

Wow, that's a great run! wink

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how the board compares with the MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

#2245570 - 03/12/14 08:22 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hope that discount Yeti comes to Canada too.

#2245602 - 03/12/14 09:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: toddy]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Hey, that sounds like a really good price. I'm really pleased you're getting a good deal on the MP7. Often, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like you pay a lot more in Aus than in Europe or the US. But this looks a very good deal. Good luck with the MP7, anyway. [/quote]

Thanks Toddy. We have in the past paid more in Australia but our friends at Kawai Australia have been lobbying to even up things a bit & it appears to be making a difference!

Thank you Kawai James. I will certainly let you know how it compares. From what I can tell most of the things I loved about the other MP's will still be there. I love the zones & setups and the fact the button to switch the zones on, are below the volume sliders and easily accessible to your left hand. I noticed on the RD 800 they still have them above the sliders which amazed me. It is those little things that make it much more user friendly.
I did offer my services in December last year to take a prototype on the road for a test run but unfortunately my services were not required for this! Maybe next time there is a new model??

#2245660 - 03/12/14 10:57 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I work at a piano retailer in country Victoria (Australia)...... Any of the Australian guys passing through who would like to have a try after it arrives would be most welcome...

Might help if we knew where we are passing through... wink

#2245856 - 03/13/14 10:31 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

EU / NL price € 1490 incl Tax. Estimated delivery beginning of april. I think I want one, just wait till Musik Messes is over and all products have been announced. New Kurzweil seems promising too, but keys are ...mwah...and pricing will be at least twice as high as the MP7.

#2245904 - 03/13/14 11:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
Alleycat6315 Offline

Good point Ando. Wangaratta Victoria. :-)

#2246244 - 03/13/14 10:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

One time MP6 owner here. I would still be an owner If I had'nt got a bit tired of the acoustic piano sound - so the
new improved MP looks to have enough refinements to make me
take another look. An its quite a looker itself - very sleek!

It looks like you are now able to save a diferent touch setting to each registration YAY!!!( James - can you confirm this!)and not have to rely on the offset or 'Dynamics'setting which was not usefull for me.

Touch is now part of the Virtual Technician so I'm guessing its now not Global.

Also noticed that the MP7 has the same lid or 'Topboard' parameter as the MP11 but NOT the 'Briteness' control.
So not identical, sonicaly with the MP11?

Or am I nitpicking here?

#2246256 - 03/13/14 10:53 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: puff
It looks like you are now able to save a diferent touch setting to each registration YAY!!!( James - can you confirm this!)and not have to rely on the offset or 'Dynamics'setting which was not usefull for me.

Correct. wink

Also noticed that the MP7 has the same lid or 'Topboard' parameter as the MP11 but NOT the 'Briteness' control.
So not identical, sonicaly with the MP11?

No, the MP7 does not include the 'Brilliance' Virtual Technician parameter.

Cheers,
James
x

#2246551 - 03/14/14 02:05 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

That is interesting. I really like having the brilliance setting although it should be easy enough to program and store in either the MP7 or MP11.

I had a little communication with Kawai US about where I'm at with trying to choose a keyboard. I asked about availability: MP11 is out of stock until June, MP7 will be 'available soon'.

I feel like I am leaning toward the MP11 but maybe the MP7 if find the wooden keys heavy after extended use. it's a tough call - MP7 will have a better price point, MP11 has the wooden keys, MP7 might have a few more sounds, MP11 has a little more piano tuning options.

The rep also said functionally the MP7 and MP11 are very similar in performance - which is what I had expected - basically the 'zones' and 'sections' function in a similar fashion. I kind of like the 'zones' feature as you can call them whatever you want as opposed to pre-determined e-piano, etc.

#2246555 - 03/14/14 02:10 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
That is interesting. I really like having the brilliance setting although it should be easy enough to program and store in either the MP7 or MP11.

I had a little communication with Kawai US about where I'm at with trying to choose a keyboard. I asked about availability: MP11 is out of stock until June, MP7 will be 'available soon'.

I feel like I am leaning toward the MP11 but maybe the MP7 if find the wooden keys heavy after extended use. it's a tough call - MP7 will have a better price point, MP11 has the wooden keys, MP7 might have a few more sounds, MP11 has a little more piano tuning options.

The rep also said functionally the MP7 and MP11 are very similar in performance - which is what I had expected - basically the 'zones' and 'sections' function in a similar fashion. I kind of like the 'zones' feature as you can call them whatever you want as opposed to pre-determined e-piano, etc.

What would you be using the piano for mainly?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2246617 - 03/14/14 04:34 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Morodiene, thanks for asking. I am happy to run this past a piano teacher smile

Right now my focus is learning piano - I've have been taking lessons and theory at the local music conservatory.

In the future I'd like to play out and mess with styles and rhythms and electronic music, but right now that is not my priority.

I am a little picky and want the best sound and touch I can afford so my options are MP7, MP11, CA65.

The local piano dealer said MP7 would 'be more than I bargained for' and is really geared toward stage use. Kawai rep said just turning the instrument on and playing gives me the touch and tone I'm looking for, and that the MP11 is closest to the CA-65 except for looks.

The CA-65 is an option but a financial stretch (would have to be without an instrument for a few months probably). Obviously it eliminates portability but lends itself to piano focus.

It's hard for me not to be long winded about this stuff but I hope this helps. smile

Edited by Joe Garfield (03/14/14 04:57 PM)

#2246635 - 03/14/14 05:18 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you want the best keys and don't have to move the DP around go for the GF action. When the CA65 is too expensive and the MP11 within your financial range; take the MP11. Simply better action than MP7 and you don't seem to use the added features of the MP7 in the first place anyway.

GF = noticebly better than RH-II 'piano-wise'. But RH-II is portable whilst GF is not (at most 'transportable' with the MP11).

Indeed...MP11 seems best match in your case.

#2246652 - 03/14/14 05:47 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]

Morodiene, thanks for asking. I am happy to run this past a piano teacher smile

Right now my focus is learning piano - I've have been taking lessons and theory at the local music conservatory.

In the future I'd like to play out and mess with styles and rhythms and electronic music, but right now that is not my priority.

I am a little picky and want the best sound and touch I can afford so my options are MP7, MP11, CA65.

The local piano dealer said MP7 would 'be more than I bargained for' and is really geared toward stage use. Kawai rep said just turning the instrument on and playing gives me the touch and tone I'm looking for, and that the MP11 is closest to the CA-65 except for looks.

The CA-65 is an option but a financial stretch (would have to be without an instrument for a few months probably). Obviously it eliminates portability but lends itself to piano focus.

It's hard for me not to be long winded about this stuff but I hope this helps. smile

Well, at this price point you are going to find pianos that do a lot of things that you don't necessarily need, but also they will contain the qualities that you do need.

Since electronic music is not a priority and VSTis are pretty popular, you may want to go with the MP11. I have a synth already for other sounds as well as VSTs so I didn't need a piano with a huge sound bank, but I wanted top notch feel and piano sound. That's why I went with the MP11 rather than the MP7. If I wanted something perhaps a bit of a combination piano/keyboard, the MP7 seems to be a great compromise there. Of course the CA65 you get the nice cabinet and on-board speakers, but that price tag can be a bit much if the looks aren't all that important to you.

#2246695 - 03/14/14 07:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

JFP and Morodiene, thank you. I will aim for the MP11, or CA65.

#2246896 - 03/15/14 09:23 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]

JFP and Morodiene, thank you. I will aim for the MP11, or CA65.

Awesome! Let us know what you got and what you think! I'm especially curious if you get the MP11 what your thoughts are. I'm knee-deep in an opera right now, otherwise I'd be fiddling with mine since my return home. I am itching to mess around with it!

#2246960 - 03/15/14 11:45 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

I will, but it will be a while. Kawai said the MP11's are out of stock until June and it might be that long before I have $$$ for the CA65, but we'll see. There is an MP10 waiting for me to try next week.

#2247191 - 03/15/14 08:27 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Of the 8 banks of sounds in the MP7 (I'm comparing to the MP6 sound list)the Synth and Drawbar organ banks now have new names
added but all other banks have retained the same names and heirachy as in the MP6 list.
The synth section is totally different so there's no re-cycling of old sounds going on and we know the Drawbar sounds are new - it realy shows in the demos.
Id like to know if the main Rhodes sounds and the wurltizer are new samples or just the old ones - now re-procesed.
Wondering they'll be up to snuff with those in my Yammy CP5?

I think there's only one on this forum able to answer this. wink

#2247309 - 03/16/14 04:15 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
The MP7 vs Roland RD800 competition is on!
Is there anyone out there who's familiar with both actions? Would love to hear some comments

#2247323 - 03/16/14 05:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
david_ka Offline

The Mp7 is 1485 euro on thomann, is this to good to be true:) The cp4 is 1999 euro and rd800 20268 euro.

#2247330 - 03/16/14 06:44 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
10x RD800 would be 20268€
:))

#2247787 - 03/17/14 07:22 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lophiomys]
david_ka Offline

smile

#2247794 - 03/17/14 08:16 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
Its cheaper then I thought in the Uk only £1199

http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/kawai-mp7-stage-piano.ir

So is it worth the extra £200 to get an mp7 then an es7??

Decision decisions!!!

#2247805 - 03/17/14 09:00 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
HisKidd Offline

Here are two demos of the MP7 from Musikmessee 2014. These demos allow a more thorough hearing of the piano sounds, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN009a5jP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lODEycl0Z4

Play On!
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2247821 - 03/17/14 09:34 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

MP7 piano sounds are very good, can you get the same quality from external speakers?

I am assuming the recordings are done from the headphones output correct?

Thanks

#2248052 - 03/17/14 06:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
fastlanephil Offline

I'm having my house reroofed today so it was a good time to drive up to Prosser Piano in Tacoma and check out the digital Kawai. The DP sales person was off today but my sales person was pretty knowledgeable. I tried out a Kawai ES7 which has the same key bed( RH2) as the MP7. The action was good- similar to the Yamaha CP4. They also had a MP10 but we couldn't figure out how to get sound out of it.

I also tried out the Kawai CA65 and the CA95. They both have the Grand Feel key bed which is the same as the Kawai MP11. It's definitely a step up from the above mentioned RH2 key bed. The CA65 sounds very good but the CA95 has a fuller, organic sound. They both can also record Standard Midi Files to a USB drive just like the MP11 does. The MSRP on the CA65 is $3965 but the sales person said he could knock about $1500 off of that which makes it pretty competitive. It sounded like the CA95 price is not quite as negotiable.

One of these might one day replace my living room's aging Yamaha CLP-555 mini grand.

In the mean time I'll be waiting for Prosser Piano to get in the MP7.

#2248224 - 03/18/14 06:28 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
puff Offline

He's using the main outs into a digital recorder in those vids.

Towards the end of the first vid hes selected piano sounds that were from the MP6 I think.The drop in quality is pretty apparent.
My Polish is not that good.

In the second vid he actualy gets a bit animated at one point.

Looking forward to his EP demo (and realy hoping he finds his inner Chick Corea)

#2248272 - 03/18/14 09:38 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

puff,

can you elaborate a bit more?

The digital recorder is what we hear on the videos?

Thanks

#2248379 - 03/18/14 12:56 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
HisKidd Offline

LarryMan…

Possibly the player has connected the line-out from the MP7 to the audio in on his video recorder. That's another possibility.

The best way to hear the samples will be when kawaimp.com/mp7 goes live.
At that point we should be able to go to SoundCloud and hear high quality samples from this new board. I'm checking SoundCloud daily, and I'll post anything that appears there for the MP7. James used the words "soon I hope," in answer to my question about when we might expect the kawaimp website to add the MP7.

Cheers!
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2248505 - 03/18/14 05:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: LarryMan]
puff Offline

Well I assumed that as he un-plugs the recorder every time he talks and then back in when he plays that its all going on to the same digital file for later upload - no?

#2248514 - 03/18/14 05:58 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Calling James, help

Can you answer my question about the EPs a few posts up -before it slips into oblivion.

Have you been working overtime on that new website?

Regards,
puff.

#2248560 - 03/18/14 07:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Well I assumed that as he un-plugs the recorder every time he talks and then back in when he plays that its all going on to the same digital file for later upload - no?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it.

The chap is connecting the MP7's line out's to the recorder's line in, and when he disconnects the cable the recorder switches back to the onboard mic.

James
x

#2248570 - 03/18/14 07:53 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Can you answer my question about the EPs a few posts up...

Okay, I'll try.

Id like to know if the main Rhodes sounds and the wurltizer are new samples or just the old ones - now re-procesed.

As far as I'm aware the main tine and reed EPs are also new - the same is true for many of the other sounds, even if their names remain unchanged from the MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

#2248586 - 03/18/14 08:32 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Thanks James,

So new sounds on the main EP1 and the Wurly - but not definately new samples.

I guess the sound demos planed for the kawaimp.co/MP7 site are
allready in the bag -but if not it would be usefull to have examples of the Rhodes and Wurly without any effects and just a touchof reverb.

The Yammy CP5 EPs sound authentic naked and Im finding in the MP11 Ep demos the bass notes sound a bit hyped.

#2248689 - 03/19/14 12:50 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Rappy Offline

The MP7 looks 'the ticket' in many respects. I have it in my sights. Shame the keybed is basically 4 years old techwise though (save the 3rd sensor which is 2 years old). I wasn't that much a fan of the RH2 - feels a bit shallow if I remember correctly from the ES7 - I will revisit it when I get the chance.

The sound engine though shows promise, on paper at least. But this brings me to a grumble - when will we have a satisfactory demonstration of the piano samples? Can anyone really tell the quality of the piano sample banks with this horrific playing that is doing the rounds? The official Kawai dude is just, well, musically defective to be honest. And this Polish guy from the MusikMesse? I struggle for words. The cheap and bad harmonic shifts makes the samples clang, twang and artefact. I'm sure the engine is not like this in reality, but the question is out there and we won't be able to get a sense of the potential until someone who possesses just a little musicality demonstrates them. Please, Kawai, you surely have a roster of musical pianists available?

Maybe my only hope in testing the sounds is in finding one of the 5 places probably in the western world that will stock this on the shop floor.

#2248705 - 03/19/14 01:45 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Rappy]
Musical Dan Offline

Originally Posted By: Rappy
The MP7 looks 'the ticket' in many respects. I have it in my sights. Shame the keybed is basically 4 years old techwise though (save the 3rd sensor which is 2 years old). I wasn't that much a fan of the RH2 - feels a bit shallow if I remember correctly from the ES7 - I will revisit it when I get the chance.

The sound engine though shows promise, on paper at least. But this brings me to a grumble - when will we have a satisfactory demonstration of the piano samples? Can anyone really tell the quality of the piano sample banks with this horrific playing that is doing the rounds? The official Kawai dude is just, well, musically defective to be honest. And this Polish guy from the MusikMesse? I struggle for words. The cheap and bad harmonic shifts makes the samples clang, twang and artefact. I'm sure the engine is not like this in reality, but the question is out there and we won't be able to get a sense of the potential until someone who possesses just a little musicality demonstrates them. Please, Kawai, you surely have a roster of musical pianists available?

Maybe my only hope in testing the sounds is in finding one of the 5 places probably in the western world that will stock this on the shop floor.

This is in my sights also. Right now it looks like it's between this and the CP4. (Actually I just noticed it looks like Kawai gives 5 year warranty - 2 years more than Yamaha's 3)

I have to agree that the demo's have not been all that great. Apparently it has the same Piano's as the MP11, however there is no guarantee that the demo's of the MP11 aren't making use of some parameter adjustments which are not available on the MP7.

As always, I think it's best to test them in the store for yourself (with your own headphones). I'm hoping to be able to do this myself later this month.

Edited by Musical Dan (03/19/14 01:45 AM)

#2248783 - 03/19/14 09:21 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
LarryMan Offline

His Kidd...thanks a lot,

Actually my question should be if the sound from the demonstration videos is something that is easily achievable my speakers? since sound from headphone is always better.

#2249149 - 03/20/14 12:07 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

Are you guys not satisfied with the samples posted by Kawai?
http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm#tabs-3

(click Demo and go down to the bottom for audio samples)

#2249154 - 03/20/14 12:13 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No, they aren't satisfied. Those videos have been posted on here already.

#2249341 - 03/20/14 08:08 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
http://www.kraftmusic.com/sitesearch/?q=Kawai%20mp7

Looks like the price of the MP7 will be what I was figuring, $1799 at Kraft Music. 1k difference between it's bigger sibling like how the MP10 and MP6 were before the rebates, $2499 and $1499, respectively. Of course these are US prices. Not bad at all and I suspect it will really give the CP4 a run for the money! heck I'm considering parting with my P-255 and get one of these!

On a side note I found an excellent condition floor model CP5 for $999, at Guitar Center last week and had to pick it up. So now I'm probably going to part with the P-255 even though I will miss the speakers and the string resonance and probably pick up the MP7 when it's available. I'm going to start another thread about what I've come to realize between the CP4 and the CP5.

Back to the MP7, it looks like a steal can't wait to try one!

Edited by Rhodie73 (03/20/14 08:26 AM)

#2249350 - 03/20/14 08:25 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

A CP5 for under $1k *is* a steal! Congrats!

James
x

#2249366 - 03/20/14 08:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
Rhodie73 Offline

James
x

Thanks James!

#2249381 - 03/20/14 09:36 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Rhodie73]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Rhodie73

James
x

Thanks James!

Oh yeah man, I'm jealous big time ! Congrats. I was going to bid on a *at home use* only CP5 on eBay yesterday at $1200. But literally 5 bids came in within the last 5 seconds of the auction and I lost out. It sold at $1365. I understand it's these auto sniping programs people use. I can't compete with that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CP5-High-...=item27e05044fb

The MP7 has drums and patterns right ? I remember the MP10 had them but can't recall if the MP6 did. If it does, how are they ? A huge reason I'm looking at another CP5 are the drums believe or not.. laugh

I need a keyboard/DP with built in drums & grooves for solo gigs I do where I play LH bass and do vocals. More often then not these days, it seems people want a groove or something "extra" going on then just straight piano & vocals.

Was considering a Kronos as sonically it's killin', but too much dough and too complex.

The CP5's drums had great swing, Latin and acoustic style patterns...better then any DP I'd heard. I wonder how the RD800's are ? The 700NX's weren't as good as the CP5's.

If the MP7's drum patterns are good, that would be enough to sway me over to it. I didn't hear any in the few online demos yet.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2249401 - 03/20/14 10:32 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Ferris]
Rhodie73 Offline

Yes I agree that the CP5's drum patterns are very good and useful. I really just lucked out because I wanted to see if they had a Roland RD800 to try out, but walked out with a CP5! I believe the MP7 has drum patterns like its predecessor the MP6. Having owned the CP4 and now the CP5, I can say that I think he CP5 is somewhat better in terms of features and build quality. I really don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start another one later.

#2249601 - 03/20/14 05:41 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So did you try out the rd800 as we'll ? If so , what did you think of it and why did you go for the cp5 in the end ?

#2249615 - 03/20/14 06:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think the $1,799 US price for the MP7 is very competitive. It's much more difficult to find Kawai instruments at GC/MF, and so that will stack up nicely against the $1870 discounted price of the CP4.

It would be great to be able to do a side-by-side comparison with the CP4/40 and the RD800. I suspect that the Yamaha would win the EP battle, but it might be quite a different story when the APs are compared. It's good that all these major contenders are now weighing in at less than 50lbs, although the CPs have almost a 10lbs advantage.

Rhodie73, I'm curious as to your opinion of the P255, and how you think the sound compares with the CP5. I know that's OT in this thread, so maybe you could address it in the new thread you intend to start.

#2249647 - 03/20/14 07:00 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Ferris]
Turnabout Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I understand it's these auto sniping programs people use. I can't compete with that.

Sniping software like JBidWatcher is free.

But it doesn't have to be software. If there's something I really want I typically wait until the end of the auction, watch the countdown clock, then enter a final top bid when it gets to 7 seconds. Just for fun. Lots of times the current high bidder has a secret bid even higher and he wins, sometimes another bidder (whether using sniping software I cannot say) wins, but a good amount of the time I win, and usually below my top bid.

Never bid early, as it lets other potential bidders know there's interest in the item, and sometimes it initiates escalatory bidding in others.

#2249677 - 03/20/14 07:52 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I think the $1,799 US price for the MP7 is very competitive. It's much more difficult to find Kawai instruments at GC/MF, and so that will stack up nicely against the $1870 discounted price of the CP4.

Who is selling the CP4 at $1870? All the online retailers appear to have it at $2199.

James
x

#2249690 - 03/20/14 08:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Who is selling the CP4 at $1870? All the online retailers appear to have it at $2199.

James
x

Yes, that's the MAP, but Guitar Center and Musician's Friend offer discount coupons periodically - usually 15%. If you time your purchase well, you can just show up at your local GC, wave the coupon at them, and they'll sell you the item at the discounted price. As long as the item is in stock at the warehouse (doesn't have to be in the store), there's usually no problem; however, if it's a special order or something not yet available from the manufacturer, you may have an indefinite wait.

#2249693 - 03/20/14 08:08 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see.

Well, in that case $1,799 with the same 15% discount makes the MP7 an even more attractive proposition. wink

James
x

#2249694 - 03/20/14 08:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see.

Well, in that case $1,799 with the same 15% discount makes the MP7 an even more attractive proposition. wink

James
x

It certainly does, but GC/MF are often slow to stock Kawai instruments. I certainly hope they get the new MPs.

#2249696 - 03/20/14 08:21 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I recall a post from someone who had purchased a VPC1 from Musician's Friend using the 15% discount, so I assume the same will work with the MP11/MP7 once the store adds it to their catalogue (at the time of writing their website still lists the MP10/MP6).

Cheers,
James
x

#2249707 - 03/20/14 08:44 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

Don't expect too many Guitar Center or Musicians Friend coupons in the near future. GC is in the process of being taken over by its main creditor Ares Capital, as it has $1.6 billion in debt, much of it remaining from its $2.7 billion leveraged buyout in 2007 by Bain Capital (the firm Mitt Romney co-founded). And MF is a subsidiary of GC.

Every year for the last several years MF had a 15%-off coupon for President's Day but this year it was a more modest sale on accessories only. It's not hard to see why considering how they're hemorrhaging cash. Guitar Center reported a net loss of $398.7 million in the quarter ended Sept. 30, compared with a $25.7 million loss a year earlier. At any rate, cost-cutting may be the order of the day there so don't count on big coupons now to lower prices.

#2249709 - 03/20/14 08:48 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Originally Posted By: Turnabout
Every year for the last several years MF had a 15%-off coupon for President's Day but this year it was a more modest sale on accessories only.

Hmm . . . I'm not so sure. I bought a P-255 from zZounds when they price matched (actually beat) a 15% off in-store quote from GC.

#2249710 - 03/20/14 08:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day - and some pretty good specials, too.

#2249713 - 03/20/14 08:56 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

That is true, they had one 15% off sale this year. (And for the next 3 days they offer 15% on some gear if you use a GC credit card.) But they used to offer deals a lot more, and so did MF, which has only offered "15% Off Top Select Accessories" in 2014. The takeover by Ares has not yet been concluded, and it remains to be seen whether GC will continue to offer these discounts in the future.

#2249714 - 03/20/14 09:00 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Turnabout Offline

Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day

Yes, I agree that GC had a limited 15% coupon, which did include Yamaha and other in-stock pianos but not "Ampeg, Apogee Duets, Apple, Audix, Bose, Crate, Crown, DBX, Digitech, Edirol, ESP, EVH, Fender, some Gibson and Epiphone, Gretsch guitars, Jackson, JBL, KRK, Lexicon, Mackie, Martin, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, QSC, some Roland/BOSS products, Royer Labs, Shure, Soundcraft, Squier, SWR, and select Korg, Marshall, Vox"

And MF did not offer any similar coupon as they have done in years past. The company is in over a billion dollars in debt and lost a quarter-billion in just one quarter last year, so I'm just saying not to count on the discount coupon party continuing...

#2249715 - 03/20/14 09:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If they do discontinue the coupons (although that is by no means certain), the MP7 will still come in well under 2k, which may well be a barrier, psychological or otherwise, for many players.

#2249716 - 03/20/14 09:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, I agree that GC had a limited 15% coupon, which did include Yamaha and other in-stock pianos but not "Ampeg, Apogee Duets, Apple, Audix, Bose, Crate, Crown, DBX, Digitech, Edirol, ESP, EVH, Fender, some Gibson and Epiphone, Gretsch guitars, Jackson, JBL, KRK, Lexicon, Mackie, Martin, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, QSC, some Roland/BOSS products, Royer Labs, Shure, Soundcraft, Squier, SWR, and select Korg, Marshall, Vox"

The exclusion list does not apply when you show up in the store. It's the same when you call MF in person. However, if you try to use the coupons online, they will not be accepted for most things.

#2249723 - 03/20/14 09:29 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Turnabout Offline

The printed coupons had the exclusion list.

If the stores were accepting the coupons for excluded items... no wonder they're in such bad financial shape!

#2249725 - 03/20/14 09:36 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My last coupon purchase from GC was the Roland FP-50 (one of the so-called excluded items).

To be honest, I'm not sure it's the coupons that have caused the problems; they generate a lot of extra sales. The use of coupons certainly peaked during the depths of the recent recession, and that may have been instrumental (no pun intended) in keeping GC/MF going through hard times. The financial issue is more likely connected to the cost of running hundreds of brick and mortar stores in competition with those who maintain only a central base and an online presence.

#2249734 - 03/20/14 10:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Joe Garfield]
puff Offline

Thanks for the heads up - I totaly missed those demo-clips!

You need to scroll down passed the videos.

The MP7 sounds great in those clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m3WC-gbd_xs

I just found this new U-tube MP7 flick (one of those Polish ones) It realy comes across as an inspirng instrument.With those 4 knobs its now easy to sculpt the sound in a musical way.

I think its now the instrument I had hoped for when I got the MP6. The Organs and even synths sound killer!

And did I say that you can now STORE A DIFFERENT TOUTCH CURVE IN EACH USER REGISTRATION!

#2249735 - 03/20/14 10:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Meant to say that the sound clips are on the German www.kawai.de website.

http://www.kawai.de/mp7_en.htm

#2249739 - 03/20/14 10:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'll be adding those MP7 audio clips to the Soundcloud page shortly (we need them for the website), and perhaps a handful of others if I find the time... wink

There's also a playlist of the Musikmesse clips on the MP Youtube page and facebook.

Cheers,
James
x

#2249741 - 03/20/14 10:15 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
puff Offline

Voxpops
Maybe you should start a new "Dose Guitar Centre still sell Guitars" thread. wink

#2249745 - 03/20/14 10:20 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Voxpops
Maybe you should start a new "Dose Guitar Centre still sell Guitars" thread. wink

I would, but the whole subject of guitars makes me yawn! wink

#2249747 - 03/20/14 10:24 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

James
Do you remember about 3 years ago I asked (or pestered)you If the different toutch curves could be added to the MP6 in an OS update?
Just wondered if many other users requested this feature?
Any way mucho thanks for listening.

#2249749 - 03/20/14 10:28 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
puff Offline

Yeah, I prefer just playin'em too!

Night night!

#2249753 - 03/20/14 10:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Do you remember about 3 years ago I asked (or pestered)you If the different toutch curves could be added to the MP6 in an OS update?
Just wondered if many other users requested this feature?
Any way mucho thanks for listening.

Yes, I remember you asking. wink

I believe a number of MP6 owners made similar requests. We tried to refine the touch curves for piano and EP playing, and I recall some users appreciated the improvements. However, it didn't really address the request for separate (non-global) touch curves. Unfortunately, this restriction was part of the MP OS, which I assume dated back to the MP8 architecture...if not the MP9000, so it was difficult to overcome without a considerable re-write.

The MP7 architecture is very similar to the MP11, and therefore far more flexible, allowing touch curves for individual sounds and zones.

Cheers,
James
x

#2250153 - 03/21/14 08:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Thanks James,

If I remember correctly the updated OS for the MP6 improved the Acoustic piano touch and dynamics only.I always like EPs to have a different curve. Anyway this is now academic.
Im thinking that the MP7 can now use the triple pedal unit as it
has four(?) pedal jack sockets.

Is this the case?

#2250283 - 03/22/14 01:38 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
Joe Garfield Offline

No, they aren't satisfied. Those videos have been posted on here already.

Note that I said *audio samples, which are below the videos. There is more variety of sounds and higher quality audio. I think the piano tones sound nice. I can hear a pretty distinct difference between the MP7, the CA65, and the ES7, liking them in that order.

#2250285 - 03/22/14 01:42 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Turnabout]
Joe Garfield Offline

Yes, GC had the full 15%-off coupon this last Presidents' Day

And MF did not offer any similar coupon as they have done in years past. The company is in over a billion dollars in debt and lost a quarter-billion in just one quarter last year, so I'm just saying not to count on the discount coupon party continuing...

Sometimes if you call or go to the online support chat they will still honor the coupon. I just did that with a Yamaha keyboard not long ago. The webpage said Yamaha was excluded but the guy said most places would honor it if you ask. Guitar Center's asking prices are not the lowest so they can afford to make deals.

#2250359 - 03/22/14 08:06 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

#2252120 - 03/25/14 10:50 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

The MP7 manual dose not include the Brilliance parameter - present in the MP11.

So the big question on the minds of lovers of authentic piano emulation is...

...is this an omission in the writing or transcription of the manual?

Because; if the MP7 "contains the same piano sounds as the MP7" the parameters for the sound engines must be the same.

So James, Could you consult with the Mannual Administration Depaptment to asertain whether its the manual or the MP7 which is deficient. grin

#2252122 - 03/25/14 10:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
puff Offline

Sorry -typo (ha ha!)

Should have read... "same piano sounds as the flagship MP11"

#2252126 - 03/25/14 10:57 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The manual is correct, the MP7 does not include the 'Brilliance' Virtual Technician parameter.

I gather that this is due to the way the Virtual Technician is implemented on the MP7 (zones) compared to the MP11 (sections).

Cheers,
James
x

#2252711 - 03/26/14 09:19 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Significant ommision in my view.It's the nearest thing to a hammer hardness adjustment.
In the MP11 vid - the one with the english voice over - the guy (with the annoyingly precise diction)actually states that you can alter the hardness of the hammers.
He also calls tines teens - bless him.

Would not have missed other parameters like fallback noise or
damper clunk - who needs 'em.

If enough future MP7 owners ask for it could it be implimented in a future O.S. update for the MP7?

I will lead the charge! thumb

#2252733 - 03/26/14 10:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Significant ommision in my view.It's the nearest thing to a hammer hardness adjustment.
In the MP11 vid - the one with the english voice over - the guy (with the annoyingly precise diction)actually states that you can alter the hardness of the hammers.

When referencing hammer hardness, I expect the video is referring to the instrument's 'Voicing' Virtual Technician parameter.

Regarding the narration itself, I'm reluctant to comment as this video was produced by my colleagues at Kawai Europe.

If enough future MP7 owners ask for it could it be implimented in a future O.S. update for the MP7?

No, I'm afraid it will not possible to add the 'Brightness' parameter - even with a software update.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2252750 - 03/26/14 10:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

The MP7 has the 'Voicing' parameter - which includes Normal, Mellow 1/2, Dynamic, and Bright 1/2. And, this can be controlled by one of the assignable control knobs. So basically you have your brightness.

It's on P52 of the manual.

#2252783 - 03/26/14 11:57 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yeah, what's all the fuss about a brightness/brilliance knob? Just adjust the EQ a bit and you're all good. Brightness isn't some magical parameter with mysterious attributes. It's just another way of adjusting the EQ.

#2252972 - 03/27/14 11:44 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: ando]
puff Offline

If it was a mater of product differentiation then why bother as its just one parameter.
If it dose alter the resultant piano sound in a useful and musical way then why leave it off the MP7 which is supposed to now share the same architecture.

The MP6 had the "Voicing" adjustment but for me I found it useless and left it in default setting.

On the Yamaha CP5 the Brightness has nothing to do with EQ and I found it very useful.

#2252980 - 03/27/14 11:58 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
puff Offline

The CP5's "Brightness" was actually called Hammer Hardness and was probably part of the modelling element of the sound.

So what dose this parameter alter in the MP11 sound engine?

#2253273 - 03/27/14 08:42 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

If it was a mater of product differentiation then why bother as its just one parameter.

I don't believe it's a matter of product differentiation - indeed one of the objectives of the MP7 was to deliver the same sound quality as the MP11. However, due to the way the MP7's EFX modules are organised, it is not possible to implement the 'Brightness' parameter.

If it dose alter the resultant piano sound in a useful and musical way then why leave it off the MP7 which is supposed to now share the same architecture.

Yes, the MP7 and MP11 do share the same architecture, however the tone generator is arranged differently for the two instruments. Again, it's not a case of purposely leaving 'Brightness' off of the MP7, but rather that it's not possible to implement the function with the instrument's operation.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2253309 - 03/27/14 10:07 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

OK I'll shut up now.

On a positive note I noticed that the back of the MP7 looks totally flat with a 90 degree bottom edge - the MP6 has a curved
bottom edge which, with the powder type paint finish made it hard to grab and lift off the keyboard stand.
So its now a bit more gig-friendly.

#2254529 - 03/30/14 09:58 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

James,
Can the Kawai two pedal unit be used on the MP7 with the same funcionality as the three pedal one? I mean can you still asign different CCs etc.Im guessing they each have two jack plugs.

Thanks.

#2254532 - 03/30/14 10:04 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Can the Kawai two pedal unit be used on the MP7 with the same funcionality as the three pedal one? I mean can you still asign different CCs etc.

Yes. While it's perhaps preferable to use the F-30 triple pedal unit, it's still possible to use the F-20 double pedal in conjunction with the included F-10H and reassign the pedals for triple-pedal functionality.

Cheers,
James
x

#2255603 - 04/01/14 08:11 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Alleycat6315 Offline

My MP7 has finally arrived! Haven't had much chance to give it a workout yet, but did manage to load all my setups from my MP6 to the MP7. It is different negotiating the editing procedure but, I think once I get used to it, it will be quicker &, as a last resort, may have to look at the manual for some things. Have got a small job on tonight so will take it along for that. According to the specs, it should fit into my MP6 road case.

#2255686 - 04/01/14 11:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My MP7 has finally arrived! Haven't had much chance to give it a workout yet, but did manage to load all my setups from my MP6 to the MP7. It is different negotiating the editing procedure but, I think once I get used to it, it will be quicker &, as a last resort, may have to look at the manual for some things. Have got a small job on tonight so will take it along for that. According to the specs, it should fit into my MP6 road case.

Congratulations! You must be one of the first owners worldwide.

I'm sure many of us would love to hear how it compares to the MP6 in terms of sound and action (I know I would...).

#2255741 - 04/02/14 02:32 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

My MP7 has finally arrived!

Congrats!

...as a last resort, may have to look at the manual for some things.

wink

I look forward to reading your thoughts (and comparisons with the MP6) after you've had a chance to play it a little more.

Cheers,
James
x

#2256173 - 04/02/14 11:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: voxpops]
Alleycat6315 Offline

I'm sure many of us would love to hear how it compares to the MP6 in terms of sound and action (I know I would...). [/quote]

Thank you voxpops & Kawai James. I was pretty excited.
The piano sounds are a definate improvement on the MP6 and the feel of the action was better too, felt more responsive & firmer (although I have given my MP6 a pretty hard work out in it's time!) I haven't gone into the editing of the sounds much yet but I did load all my previous setups from the MP6 to the 7 & they came through ok although some of the synth sounds have now changed so will have to check those. It is taking a bit to get used to the navigation of the editing system but I think once I get used to it, it should be easier as you can use the knobs as well as the -/no & +/yes buttons to change values which is handy. I didn't take the manual with me last night & was getting a bit frustrated trying to find how to change a tone in a set up but finally figured it out. You have to enter a setup & then press the exit button. You go from set up mode to sound mode, but all the sounds from that setup are in the 4 zones and can be changed & edited & then saved back to that setup. I haven't been able to find this in the manual so I'm glad I worked it out! I tried playing some MP3s through the USB (great to have it on the front rather than the back!) and it was easy to work out. The default volume is really loud though, not sure if this can be changed & saved yet? Maybe by doing a power on setup? Love that I don't have to keep looking behind now to see where to plug the damper pedal or other leads in, they're marked above on the back edge, so simple but a huge+, don't know why I didn't think of doing that myself on other keyboards? It does fit nicely into my MP6 case, which was previously from my MP5 so that is a bonus & has saved me around $500 (the cost of a new custom built NovaForge roadcase)
One thing that was a bit of a negative & may be able to be changed with a system update is when playing in a setup & changing to another setup, the MP6 would sustain all the sounds when you changed over. In sound mode on the MP7, they will sustain if you select another sound but not if you go from sound to setup? Do you know if that can be fixed James, or what the reason for it is? Not a big issue, but if changing from one setup to another mid song can be noticable.
Was playing it last night through a small 150watt powered speaker. Have a gig on the weekend outdoors through a big system. Will really look forward to playing / hearing it through that!

Cheers,

Alleycat

Edited by Alleycat6315 (04/02/14 11:15 PM)

#2256179 - 04/03/14 12:12 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Joe Garfield Offline

I honestly think this is the best value DP on the market. I absolutely love my MP and it's a generation behind this one. Finally you get really good action, a ton of functionality AND plenty of quality acoustic piano tones AND tons of tone editing, for easily under $2000!

I chose the MP10 over the MP7 due mostly to the timing/availability. I really like the wood keys of the MP10 but I don't know that I would have made the same choice if both were sitting side-by-side, with the MP7 being $500 or more less.

#2256490 - 04/03/14 07:42 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Alleycat6315]
puff Offline

I didn't take the manual with me last night & was getting a bit frustrated trying to find how to change a tone in a set up but finally figured it out.
You have to enter a setup & then press the exit button. You go from set up mode to sound mode, but all the sounds from that setup are in the 4 zones and can be changed @ edited @ then saved back to that setup.

Alleycat [/quote]

Thats worth noting.

Been quoted a great price here in UK from Promenade Music

£1079 for the MP7 (that's cheaper than the MP6 was three years ago)
And £1550 for the MP11 (very tempting but for the weight)

#2256527 - 04/03/14 09:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Alleycat6315, thank you for posting your early experiences of the MP7.

One 'trick' to briefly show the sound assigned to a zone during SETUP mode, is to press and hold one of the F1~F4 buttons while the play screen is shown.

I'll try to respond to some of the points you raised.

The default volume is really loud though, not sure if this can be changed & saved yet?

I just test this with some MP3s on copied to a USB stick. On the MP7 I have here the default volume is 50 (out of 100), which was a comfortable level for my ears. Once adjusted, the playback level will remain until the power is switched, however it's not currently possible to store this setting to PowerOn memory.

One thing that was a bit of a negative & may be able to be changed with a system update is when playing in a setup & changing to another setup, the MP6 would sustain all the sounds when you changed over.

Again, I just tried this, cycling through the PIANO setups and holding notes with the pedal. The sound changes naturally without abrupt changes, however I do not have an MP6 here for comparison.

I noticed that if a setup uses very different effect settings there will be a sound change when the first note using the new setup is pressed (i.e. not when selecting the setup button itself) but I think this is unavoidable as the DSP needs to be reset.

When changing tonewheel organ presets there will be a momentary break in the sound in order to reset the tone generator.

In sound mode on the MP7, they will sustain if you select another sound but not if you go from sound to setup?

Did you mean going from setup to setup?

I'm using a beta firmware, due for release soon, so perhaps this behaviour has been changed? Please try the latest OS when it's available - I'll post info here and on the facebook page.

Cheers,
James
x

#2256666 - 04/04/14 07:29 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
musicman100 Offline

I didn't take the manual with me last night & was getting a bit frustrated trying to find how to change a tone in a set up but finally figured it out.
You have to enter a setup & then press the exit button. You go from set up mode to sound mode, but all the sounds from that setup are in the 4 zones and can be changed @ edited @ then saved back to that setup.

Alleycat

Thats worth noting.

Been quoted a great price here in UK from Promenade Music

£1079 for the MP7 (that's cheaper than the MP6 was three years ago)
And £1550 for the MP11 (very tempting but for the weight)

[/quote]

I have just been quotes £1099 from promenade music!! Do you order form them?

thanks

#2256672 - 04/04/14 08:00 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: musicman100]
puff Offline

Sorry It was my mistake - should be £1099 - still £100 less than
the competition.

#2256702 - 04/04/14 09:08 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
BarryDMD Offline

Loc: Warwick, RI
Can anyone compare the MP7 to the Roland RD-800 ?

#2256718 - 04/04/14 10:08 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: BarryDMD]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BarryDMD
Can anyone compare the MP7 to the Roland RD-800 ?

Well, here's the obvious for now until we can all get our hands on a MP7:

#2256817 - 04/04/14 04:01 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
musicman100 Offline

Sorry It was my mistake - should be £1099 - still £100 less than
the competition.

No the price is 1079 its on the web site now

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/kawai-mp7

So he quoted me the wrong price and you the right price.

#2256880 - 04/04/14 06:43 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

It's only 20 quid chaps...

#2257071 - 04/05/14 08:19 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: musicman100]
puff Offline

Theres mo such thing as the right or wrong price.

If you want an MP7 I would contact them (Promenade Music)now
cause that price on thier site is not fixed and I was told will rise soon.

Anywys, that unit has my name on it ! YAY!!!!!

#2258864 - 04/08/14 09:30 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

James,
When will the www.kawaimp.com/mp7 be going live?

The EP1 demos up there right now have a couple "Casquade" and "Busy Ashante"- the jazzy ones - where the "bell" sound is a bit less pronounced.I was wondering if that was the basic sound without any effects or the result of using a different amp sim or choice of microphone (Dynamic or Condenser type?)

Can you spill any beans?

#2258881 - 04/08/14 10:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

puff, we hope to have the MP7 content online soon. Much of it is very similar to the MP11 content as both models share a lot in common, however there are obviously some important differences in the action and sound selection.

We're also improving some portions of the existing MP11 site at the same time.

Regarding the EP sounds, those two demos were provided by Kawai Australia and recorded by Greg Coffin. I do believe Greg opted for a cleaner, more direct sound without the effects (and possible amp sim), which may explain the tonal character of those demos.

Cheers,
James
x

#2259311 - 04/09/14 08:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Well Greg Coffin plays some tasty chords - I'll be happy with just that Rhodes sound.

My MP7 is on its way to me as I write.
Will send my impressions on the weekend as I'm going to gigs on the next three consecutive nights.

BTW James, cool can I buy direct shares in Kawai? cool

#2259333 - 04/09/14 08:55 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Congrats!

Which gigs are you going to, btw?

I recently saw Zainichi Funk, who put on a really great show of 60's JB-influenced funk and soul, in a similar vein as Osaka Monaurail.

Regarding shares, yes, I believe it's possible using some broker firms. Here is Kawai's ticker:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=TYO:7952

Cheers,
James
x

#2259474 - 04/10/14 02:28 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
suniil Offline

Loc: London
Congratulations Puff! I just missed that price, as It gone up to £1139. Daughter have a Roland FP4 and bit keen to upgrade to something better.

#2259619 - 04/10/14 10:32 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
musicman100 Offline

Congrats!

Regarding shares, yes, I believe it's possible using some broker firms. Here is Kawai's ticker:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=TYO:7952

x

I might buy some- I do some trading on shares and the Div/yield 4.00/2.19 is not bad especially since I am only getting about 2 to 3 interest in a saving account.

Anyway can I ask in the mp7 will fit on the Stand HM-4 ?? If not what is the one you recommend?
I like the K&M 18810.

I am know thinking of getting the mp7 over the es7 just with it been newer technology and more sounds. I have been offered a good deal on it!! Just sorting out speakers and stand.

#2259622 - 04/10/14 10:35 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
musicman100 Offline

In the midi sequencer in the mp7 is it 2 tracks like the es7?

Also what bag do people recommend?

Would it help getting one with wheels?

Although the bags with wheels add another 6kg or so to the weight. has anyone expereince with them?

thanks

Edited by musicman100 (04/10/14 10:47 AM)

#2259936 - 04/10/14 07:25 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: musicman100]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musicman100
Anyway can I ask in the mp7 will fit on the Stand HM-4 ??

The HM-4 is only intended to be used with the ES7. It may well fit the MP7 (I've never tried), however without the necessary thumbscrew holes in the MP7 base, there is no way to secure the instrument to the stand.

I would therefore recommend a different stand - the K&M 18810 is a good choice, along with the K&M 18950, which I use at home.

I am know thinking of getting the mp7 over the es7 just with it been newer technology and more sounds. I have been offered a good deal on it!! Just sorting out speakers and stand.

Good stuff - I know you've been split between which board to go for for a while...either will be fine, however the MP7 is undoubtedly the more flexible instrument.

Cheers,
James
x

#2259938 - 04/10/14 07:30 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Well my gig tonight was a local band on tour with Crista-Bell called Candy Says sort of intelligent pop for adults.
Tomorrow its a nine piece Columbian band from London called Manteca - worth checking thier u-tubes as the pianist has some drive and chops and - big sideboards!

I'm more of an OR fan than JB - I get a bit bored of that ninth chord!

#2259940 - 04/10/14 07:34 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: musicman100]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

In the midi sequencer in the mp7 is it 2 tracks like the es7?

No, the MP7/MP11 internal song recorder is just one track (10 song memories). It's not really intended as a full-blown sequencer - more as something to sketch ideas. If you require additional tracks, you could perhaps record to USB (as WAV) then overdub the recording as many times as necessary.

Also what bag do people recommend?

I believe Kawai Europe produced a gig bag (with wheels) for the ES6/MP6 which is also suitable for the ES7/MP7:

Your dealer/Kawai UK should be able to provide more information regarding pricing and availability.

Would it help getting one with wheels?

If you plan to transport the board regularly, over relatively long distances, the wheels are useful yes.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2259960 - 04/10/14 08:20 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

That Kawai branded bag is available from Thomman in Europe.Made by Soundwear.They also make an identical Soundwear Stagebag 88
both have two double roller wheels.

Not available in the UK but Thomman will ship it.

Costs £122 or 148 euros.

#2259963 - 04/10/14 08:29 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info puff!

Cheers,
James
x

#2259967 - 04/10/14 08:38 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

Hi James,
You seem to be always posting the same time as me. Are you having breakfast over there in Japan?
Before I go to bed I have one Question for you in the MP11/7 Update thread.
See you over there?

puff (alias the magic dragon)

#2259971 - 04/10/14 08:48 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I've already had my breakfast (nice bowl of warm porridge).

It's 9:45am over here - I'm at the office, currently making corrections to some MP11/MP7 leaflets.

Cheers,
James
x

#2260843 - 04/12/14 09:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Got the MP7 temporarily set up in my workshop and spent a few hours going through the presets and investigating the extensive editing a bit.

Got to say - Iv'e got a bit more money to spare these days - but I think I would be willing to part another £500 for this board.Its worth that much more over the old MP6 which I owned.

The overall physical look is classy, the user interface is easy to navigate without using the manual (so far)and lots of new features are inteligentely integrated.

Im finding the Grand pianos (the first four)to have a nice spacial feel with an airyness (sorry if Casio have trade-marked that word)to them.Play very well with the crisp and responsive action.(I wonder if Kawai have improved the "Ivory" surface - its good - but my MP6's keys became shiny after a year of playing.)
The Mono Pianos: I dont think they are same samples as the grands rendered to mono.There are noticable groups of notes that have a different sound quality to those adjasent.

The Upright sample is simply a joy to play - more so than the Petrof in the Nord Piano.Me Likey!

Im listerning through powered Opera PA speakers nothing to hi-fi but they are 15ins woofers with a 1 ins horns.

I dont play much classical music - more of a jazz fusion/ pop guy so Im looking for a good Rhodes sound and Wurly.
The main Rhodes (EP1)is good as out of the box but I very quickly
made it into something fonky just changing the amp sim to a Rotary on stop ( never before liked a leslie FX on a Rhodes)Then EFx2 to Overdrive+ (Dual with Tremolo)- mess with parameters to taste and still have the Mod wheel controlling Sterio-pan!

Im a happy Bunny - now I just need to shift that plastic keyboard with pretty good Rhodes sounds airless APs and an interface designed by a technocrat.
That would be the CP4.

#2260844 - 04/12/14 09:21 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: suniil]
puff Offline

Originally Posted By: suniil
Congratulations Puff! I just missed that price, as It gone up to £1139. Daughter have a Roland FP4 and bit keen to upgrade to something better.

Nah! Just give'em a call and ask for Dave 'e give you veeery goood pwice!

#2261243 - 04/13/14 08:54 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

thumb

#2261956 - 04/15/14 05:53 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston]
Tritok Offline

Loc: France

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...

#2261984 - 04/15/14 07:30 AM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Tritok]
puff Offline

Yes a great and mostly accurate review.

Im so excited about this board!!!!

The reviewer said that an I-pad plugged into the inputs on the MP7 can be assigned to one of the four zones.
Maybe he got a bit excited cause I DONT think that can happen.

He also says that the new endcaps are now made of mahogany.
Duuuurrrrhhhhh!

Actually they are probably something like poplar (sometimes called tulip) covered in brown treacle. grin

I may take them off strip off the varnish and make them black.

You know - like a real Kawai piano. cool

#2262326 - 04/15/14 07:36 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
puff Offline

James - You out there having breakfast?

Is it true about the I-pad routing to a zone on the instrument?

#2262349 - 04/15/14 08:39 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Tritok]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tritok

Thanks for posting - it's quite a read!

James
x

#2262353 - 04/15/14 08:47 PM Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: puff]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

James - You out there having breakfast?

I've already eaten. wink

Is it true about the I-pad routing to a zone on the instrument?

Yes, this is correct.

If a zone is set to EXT (or BOTH) mode, and its MIDI channel also set accordingly, it should be possible to control a connected iPad by assigning CC#s to the instrument's control knobs.

You could also connect the iPad's headphone output to the MP7's Line In jacks to mix both audio source, and adjust the level balance from the instrument's Line In panel fader.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The New custom-modded VPC1 by RavenworksDesign!
by PianoManChuck
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner?
by SKding
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Creating schedule of lessons for next term
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Deciding on Yamaha CG2 vs Kawai RX-6
by Vu Le
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Crumb's Makrokosmos Vol. II No. V Technical difficulties
by Digital Mozart
Yesterday at 08:49 PM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159966 Topics
2349228 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission