Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2244031 - 03/10/14 03:18 AM I refuse to get a teacher
StarvingLion Offline

and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

Technische Studien, S.146 (Liszt, Franz)

on a $500 digital piano and posting an audio recording every Sunday of my progress.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2244032 - 03/10/14 03:26 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Wow, good luck! Looking forward to your experience.

#2244038 - 03/10/14 03:58 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
It's not required to have a teacher, that's known because it's been done before. The point of a teacher is that you will get there faster (with a good one).

I'm curious though, how did you decide on that method of learning? What makes you think it will work?

#2244051 - 03/10/14 05:05 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
and I intend to prove that a teacher is not required to play Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. This is my personal thread to provide an experiential guide to becoming a virtuoso simply by practicing the

on a $500 digital piano and posting an audio recording every Sunday of my progress.

Now, I don`t know if this is a wind up or serious. But I think you`ve whetted our appetites anyway . . . bring it on man!

""

#2244092 - 03/10/14 07:29 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: peterws]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws

Now, I don`t know if this is a wind up or serious. But I think you`ve whetted our appetites anyway . . . bring it on man!

Coming from a poster with 200 plus posts I take it as a serious statement. I applaud your goal and look forward to your updates. This is a serious musical and athletic effort.
As a previous poster queried, how are you preparing for this journey and what prompted you to do it this way ? What is your current playing level and experience ?

Ok, so based on other comments below the previous 200 odd posts from OP apparently had this kind of huffing and puffing has happened before from the poster.
So as they say either put up or shut up smile

Edited by EM Deeka (03/10/14 10:30 AM)

#2244111 - 03/10/14 08:28 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Perhaps the trolling is apropos to what's been going on in the forum lately. grin

Polyphonist

#2244113 - 03/10/14 08:30 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
The Wind Offline

Just do it.

#2244126 - 03/10/14 08:46 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
The Wind Offline

hey just wondering Starving Lion. you play any jazz? Would like to see you tackle that without a teacher. I did it. Took me a while though. Haha.

#2244133 - 03/10/14 09:06 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Another big promise from the lion, last time it was Beethoven's Sonata no. 13, supposed to be played on a Yamaha P105, outplaying the Roland V Piano itself. See this thread.

That was nota bene three and a half months ago. Needless to say no such performance has appeared on the PW forum. I'm optimistic and believe we'll get to see the OP's first Lizst performance before the end of this decade. cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2244172 - 03/10/14 10:20 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: TheodorN]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Mmm... just a provocation then?

#2244177 - 03/10/14 10:24 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Let's just say, people have many different ways to get the attention of others...

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2244184 - 03/10/14 10:35 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
wimpiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
And.. starving lions are note a pretty sight. Please, eat something..

#2244196 - 03/10/14 10:54 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: TheodorN]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Let's just say, people have many different ways to get the attention of others...

Thanks for the warning. Looks like last time around it was a 'threadjacking' and zero forecasted videos. So let us not hold our breaths frown

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Edited by EM Deeka (03/10/14 12:03 PM)

#2244197 - 03/10/14 10:56 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
The Wind Offline

This Lion guy sounds like all talk and no walk. Let's hear you play something instead of all this crap.

#2244198 - 03/10/14 10:58 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
The Wind Offline

Lion, interesting name "Project Gyro" Are you the spawn of his lineage, that dude Gyro was a wacko here too. Spouting nonsense about how digital pianos will replace acoustic and his "just play" refrain.

No doubt you were inspired by him.

#2244250 - 03/10/14 12:50 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Got a good year of work ahead, what with Chopin Op. 25, Bach's WTC (from the 2014 goals thread) and now the Transcendental etudes.

Eagerly awaiting recording #1!!

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2244377 - 03/10/14 04:46 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
Miguel Rey Offline

not required but sure could save a lot of heartache and wasted time. I felt the same way years ago about playing golf but got sick and tired of hurting my back and never breaking 100. haha. Good luck & have fun!

#2244632 - 03/11/14 08:38 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

Sounds like your mind is made up. So...what response are you looking for exactly? A debate? Agreement? Admiration of your superior ability and technique? Go for it! Meanwhile we will await your impending virtuoso performance. sleep

It's already been proven that a teacher isn't necessary but is certainly an asset to learning piano.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2244637 - 03/11/14 08:42 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: EM Deeka]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: EM Deeka

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,by posting inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

People.... People... Don't feed the proudly established Troll....

#2244665 - 03/11/14 10:01 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
The Wind Offline

Starving Lion, I'll make a bet with you that you won't even bother posting for 4 Sundays in a row.

how's $100 or is that even too rich for your starving self.

#2244692 - 03/11/14 11:37 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: The Wind]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Starving lions normally hunt impalas (or even gazelles, if they are fleet of foot, or elephants, if they have friends to hunt with), not post on internet forums.

#2244767 - 03/11/14 01:57 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA

Well, I suppose it is possible if you are not a beginner but there is no way to tell from your profile. For all we know, you are a concert pianist who is trolling for trouble.

If you are indeed a beginner, and this is the ABF afterall, and your goal is to play the right notes at the right time, then it may be possible, but if your goal is to play the TE musically and at tempo, then 1) you can't do it on a digital and 2) you need a ton of experience learning and interpreting music that is Liszt's. Anyone can push "the buttons" at the right time.

Deborah

#2244778 - 03/11/14 02:29 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
I'm going to take this bait. StarvingLion, you've suggested at times that people read "The Pianist's Problems" by William Newman. As I recall, Newman suggests that after four years, a serious student should invest in a copy of the complete repertoire (he provides a list by composer and edition), meaning all works by all major composers (I believe starting with Bach and maybe Scarlatti) and sight-read every piece, meaning that after four years a serious student should be able to do such a thing. He defines sight-reading along the lines of being able to play 80% of the notes at a tempo that can be slower than finished speed, but doesn't destroy the integrity of the piece. Newman thinks the procedure should take about a year and is critical to prepare for further serious study. (Disclaimer: I don't play at that level.)

So is this the idea you're riffing off of with these repeated posts that you will now learn and play some significant body of work by some significant composer?

Edited by David Farley (03/11/14 05:46 PM)
Edit Reason: confusion

#2244826 - 03/11/14 04:26 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California

Were these studies derived from said Transcendental Etudes and designed with aiding the student in learning to play them in mind? If not, you might as well be practicing Hanon, Czerny, Dohnanyi, and/or any other random exercises as they won't be directly progressing you towards your goals.

#2245125 - 03/12/14 01:24 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: Bobpickle]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Were these studies derived from said Transcendental Etudes and designed with aiding the student in learning to play them in mind? If not, you might as well be practicing Hanon, Czerny, Dohnanyi, and/or any other random exercises as they won't be directly progressing you towards your goals.

They're Liszt's Etudes. Actually, learning Hanon and Czerny first is the way. Best to learn Bach, Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven before Liszt. Generally it works out better if you build the foundation and walls first before the roof, fist floor before the second floor. Though nowadays people have all sorts of "innovation" on how to do things. I'll stick to the old tried and true methods.

#2245178 - 03/12/14 04:31 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: StarvingLion]
wimpiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I just want to make another announcement. I am hijacking this thread and if anyone cares I just don't care grin

I am going to play* Gaspard de la Nuit, the Hammerklavier sonata, Rachmaninov's first, Prokofiev's 8th all without a teacher and without practice. All today. Without break. I won't even need the sheet music.

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Edited by wimpiano (03/12/14 04:33 AM)

#2245265 - 03/12/14 11:11 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: wimpiano]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: wimpiano
I just want to make another announcement. I am hijacking this thread and if anyone cares I just don't care grin

I am going to play* Gaspard de la Nuit, the Hammerklavier sonata, Rachmaninov's first, Prokofiev's 8th all without a teacher and without practice. All today. Without break. I won't even need the sheet music.

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

who cares

#2245275 - 03/12/14 11:34 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: wimpiano]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Deborah

#2245533 - 03/12/14 06:43 PM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: wimpiano]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

Yeah, but can you do it with one hand while arm wrestling the Denver Broncos' defensive line with the other? ;-)

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2245745 - 03/13/14 03:45 AM Re: I refuse to get a teacher [Re: wimpiano]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK

Yes, I AM THAT GOOD.

*on my iPod.

laugh ha

Edited by evamar (03/13/14 03:48 AM)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (angga888, a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, BB Player, ando, 17 invisible), 1251 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293083 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission