Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2244131 - 03/10/14 09:03 AM Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I have been on the "other side" of the process so many times over the last decade, and I have had my share of complaints about how competitions were run. Now I have had the experience of administering a scholarship audition myself. It was stressful, exhilarating, even fun (!) and humbling in many ways. Organizing an event like this from rules writing to application process, from recruiting judges to planning the complex orchestration (pun intended) of the day, took an awful lot of time spread over many months. I could write a twenty page post on my thoughts, but I won't! Suffice to say that it came off quite well, and we weathered the many last second glitches that always happen. In fact, I think a measure of success is how well an event handles those issues, balancing fairness and compassion.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2244151 - 03/10/14 09:41 AM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Compassion!? What compassion? There's no compassion in competitions!

Glad you overcame the glitches! No matter how well prepared you are as an organizer, things always manage to fall apart at the most inopportune moment.

#2244182 - 03/10/14 10:31 AM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Very cool! Now that you've had this experience from the other side, what new insights or best pieces of advice would you have for the people auditioning, e.g., things to avoid, tips to help present themselves most positively?

#2244316 - 03/10/14 02:45 PM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]

Well, one thing I would say is that there is a risk in programming large works when your time limit is short. I realize that students sometimes have a couple of competition pieces that they play repeatedly, but in an event where time limits are short, and enforced, getting cut off in both of your pieces may not showcase your abilities particularly well. If possible, pick pieces that work within the time frame you're given. And if you are going to play a big work, maybe with a cadenza, you should clearly indicate cuts in the music so you can reach the desired section within your time frame. We had some students who did this just right, and others who got cut off 3-5 minutes into a 7-12 minute piece, twice. Don't get me wrong. It's OK if you're content to have the judges just hear the first portion of big works. But in an event like this, no one should complain ex post about not being allowed to finish. As far as I know, no one did complain. So I guess everything was fine. Never mind. smile

Teachers should also pay attention to teaching at least the basics of stage presence. This isn't always easy with the preternaturally shy student, but judges do notice when students flub stage presence 101.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2244322 - 03/10/14 02:54 PM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
What is a scholarship audition? Was this a musical event? I got lost between the first post, where I thought I knew what it was about, and subsequent posts.

#2244390 - 03/10/14 05:30 PM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]

Yes, a musical event with scholarship money attached. Scholarship because you don't get cash prizes. The checks are paid directly to teachers or other vendors (for lessons, music, instruments, etc.), to help defray the cost of music education.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2244398 - 03/10/14 05:52 PM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Yes, a musical event with scholarship money attached. Scholarship because you don't get cash prizes. The checks are paid directly to teachers or other vendors (for lessons, music, instruments, etc.), to help defray the cost of music education.

We have similar events in my community, but they are always run by such unmusical people who don't know what they are doing. I stopped sending students there because of that.

But that's not to say scholarship auditions are not a worthy cause. If done well, everybody benefits from it.

#2244408 - 03/10/14 06:23 PM Re: Long day Saturday... ran my first scholarship audition [Re: Piano*Dad]

Ours is sponsored by the local Music Club. The audition has been going on for many years. More recently (since I have been aware of it), the club has used mostly outside judges. My goal this year was to ensure the complete professionalization of the judging. We sought professional musicians and we paid them a reasonable honorarium for spending the whole day working on this event.

We are building an endowment to make the grants independent of annual contributions. At present, I think our event is one of the most generous in the state.
Grotrian 192 #156455

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Atrys, anotherscott, AndresD, ajames, 39 invisible), 1808 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156055 Topics
2291573 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission