2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
So...I thought I would have time to get this done, except we found our dream house and my piano has been in storage for a few weeks while we move! I will have my done, but not by the deadline at all. I hope it's okay if I can put them up afterwards! I'm really upset about not making the deadline since I've had so much fun and absolutely fallen in love with Joplin as a result of this.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
That's a promise, Anne. Hope to see Bink's up on the piano bar or at an ABF general recital soon!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AudreyJean

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works!

And Apple came to the rescue smile

Yes the sound quality of the iPad recording is not great but not too bad either. I use it all the time for my acoustic. To record my (very basic) digital piano I use a simple USB cable to connect it to my computer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Today`s the day . . .bit o` outdoor painting to do (sunny at the moment, right time of year) and then, well, keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by peterws
keeping one`s fingers crossed isn't quite the best option, is it?

Under no circumstances keep your fingers crossed while playing ragtime.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Whizbang
...and I've put up another submission.

stumbler had asked someone to do Joplin's "Great Crush Collision March," but no one took him up on the offer.

But I shanghai'ed my teacher into doing a performance. It's a really cool piece.

Read this:

Crush, Texas

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Both my pieces are in and a quick glance at the list of players already up tells me I'm really going to enjoy this.

Thank you so much, Whizbang, for all you've done for us on this. I've had a real blast working up these pieces.

Richard
My second is in too; It`ll have to do, I ain`t doin` it again, not yet anyway. Needs a bit of tweaking now . . .but I like to think I`m getting there. . . my thanks to the organizer(s) without which I probably wouldn`t even be bothered playing again . .

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
yea, hooray, huzzah, ecstasy and joy, I am in. Am listening (and occasionally wincing) to my submission as I type. This was such fun. I've never done anything like this before. What a pleasure it will be to listen to everybody's submissions and know that we were all working on our pieces for the past few months, and all devoting our time and energies to Scott Joplin. Oh oh, think I'm speeding up towards the end. Probably am so excited at finally getting through a recording with only a few clinkers that I am hurrying to get it over with before a big mistake can catch up with me.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Yep, just listened to it ... I could easily turn the intro into a train wreck cry ... glad your teacher is taking it on.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I just noticed the midnight eastern turn in time..whew!!

Not that it'll make this sound better hehehe

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I got it up.
Not too crazy about it. Might very well redo it. Went through so much to get it converted and available for upload. Actually rerecorded it in another DAW. I just had to get it done.

Last edited by rnaple; 03/13/14 01:12 AM. Reason: success

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. This is my first submittal, and I read months ago a lot of information about how to do an MP3 recording. First thing: buy a midi cable. I live on a remote island, and have to order things well in advance. I ordered a midi cable to connect the computer to my Yamaha avant grande, and when it arrived, put it aside until the time came to record. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a trial run. Lo and behold, there is more than one type of midi cable, and of course I had ordered the wrong type. So I went to the owners manual, and ordered the correct one. It arrived yesterday. I have now spent two of the most frustrating days in my life, trying to figure this thing out. All the connections are in place, the driver appears to be installed on the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the things started. Much reading online, much trying of every possible suggestion, and the result continues to be failure.

I was ready to throw in the towel, and write in saying that I could not do my submission, but then remembered something. There is an ipad application called voice memo. It can record things, and turn them into MP3 files. So I tried one section of my Joplin piece that way, and it works! It's not the greatest sound in the world, but then my playing isn't the greatest in the world, so we match. At least this is made me so frustrated that for two days I wasn't worried about how Searchlight sounds, just how Searchlight can get recorded. Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.
First time for me to record anything using midi and computer and had the most difficult time in the world.

I also have a midi to USB converter. Plugged properly into piano and into computer.
Downloaded Audacity.

For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

So I downloaded Red Dot Forever. It took whatever I played into MIDI format but the software doesnt interpret a lot of things so different dynamics doesnt register so everything sounds like I spike the keys instead of a nice flowing legato or something.

Now I have to figure out how to convert the MIDI file into MP3 and then from there..
how to upload the MP3 to the site.

Hope those latter steps are not as hard as the first step.

I am not even ready to record my piece either.

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by briansaddleback
Phooey, I was almost ready to give up today. ... Any other first time submitters having difficulties recording?

Having the same issue.

You people should ask in the Digital Piano Forum. Lots of great experience there to help.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G

Having the same issue.
For the life of me cant seem to transmit whatever I play into Audacity. The computer recognizes the usb midi but Audacity only records the internal mic pick up.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

B
B
Originally Posted by Greener

Having the same issue.

Not sure if it will help, but a couple of things to check for in Audacity;

The middle 2 dropdowns, for sound and mic near the top of the editor should recognize the new driver and the new driver should be selected from these dropdowns.

You may need to adjust the project rate (Hz)(bottom left corner of editor.) If set at 44100 or other, try 32000.

I seem to recall similar issues in the past and played with these variable until I eventually got it to hear the mics (in my case). So, just a couple things to try if you are still struggling.

Best of luck ...

Thanks I tried all sorts of stuff to get audacity to recognize the usb/midi driver from the drop downs and from preferences. Tried reloading a new driver from device manager and s o forth.

I actually downloaded another program which is Anvil and it works great.
It is more robust than the red dot forever and recognizes nuances of the note played so I will be using this

A
A
Thanks Ron and Greener.

D
D
"Something Doing" is submitted. Nothing like the last minute. I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. If by a miracle I pull off a better recording tomorrow, I might replace it, but it'd take a miracle. Anyway, it's 2:45am right now and I need to go to bed... tired

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]XXXV, XXXVII
"I never did get a better recording, unfortunately, so I'm going with what I have. "

And so say all of us . . .That`s life!

"[Linked Image]"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission