2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 106 of 540 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Killing, murdering, butchering - we sound so savage!

I myself am merely torturing Chopin's Waltz in A minor (n19 btw - not the other one!)

I've got the first 16 bars memorized and within my grasp.
I'm fascinated to see how much faster my progress is with this piece and the large jumps (large for me) compared to Gypsy Legend.

Mind you, I just checked, and I realize a whole year has passed since I worked on that piece, so....thank GOODNESS I can feel a difference!! smile

I want to send a special thanks to Beechcraft409 who has been just super with helping me on this piece. I'm especially appreciative because I've missed 2 lessons with my teacher, and yet, I bet I've made as much progress as I would have, had we not missed the lessons. hmmm I think that would be a lovely sentence for my ESL students to examine smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

B
B
Wow, cas, I can't wait until I'm learning things that quickly... right now I learn at a snails place, as the neurons are just not connected right...

But my AOTW is that I can actually play my sonatina through at pretty much full speed with only minimal flubs! The "groups and rhythms" thing has done wonders for the rough spots... still some work to go, but it actually sounds like music now. smile

So, I've got to pick out another piece to work on... not sure what my teacher is going to suggest, but I'm going to start on that Chopin prelude in Em, and baby it. I'm going to be so nice to it. Gentle. Yeah, that's the ticket.

In the meantime, over in the pianist corner I saw this link to a site with lots of theory exercises, which I share with you because just playing the treble "clef reading" quiz was really good for me (I'm not a quick reader yet)...

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Bessel - it is all relative. I'm still not "fast" at learning new pieces, ...just "faster". smile

I have also put in a lot of hours (on just 16 bars!
mamma mia smile !)

I know my pedalling stinks, and I have basically not done anything with regard to the dynamics - so when I say "within my grasp" I mean that fairly literally - I can move through the "jumps" /leaps - and "grasp" the right keys smile

However, it is a start and I hope to move from torturing up to merely irritating Chopin in the near future.
Of course once I start on the next section I might be taking a step backwards to massaccring!

The link you provided looks like it has a lot over very useful information. I played some of the note recognition games when I started too - I could read treble clef, but not bass cleff and felt I needed some extra help!

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I'll take credit for having posted that teoria.com exercises page, just so I can say that it's my very favorite site for theory practice. It goes from basic note reading for beginners all the way through lotsa stuff in the back chapters my college theory textbooks that I haven't gotten to yet wink .

My achievement of the weeks is that I've been playing again after several months absence, and enjoying it hugely despite the large chunks of knowledge and skills which have fallen out of my brain. I've been doing a bunch of therapy and bodywork to reprocess some lousy events that happened long long ago, and there was a very distinct point of resolution after which my first thought was "It's time to start playing music again smile smile smile "

The other half of my achievement is that, that i've worked through all that stuff, I've found the sound of my music has totally changed, and in a very good way. It's much more expressive and musical, which makes it much more fun hear myself play, creating a very nice positive feedback loop.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
B
B
Thanks, tangleweeds, for that link! And it sounds like you're on a real positive slope, keep it up!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
tangleweeds - it's nice to see you back on the ABF forum. We hadn't heard from you in a while. Sounds like things are going well. thumb

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bessel
In the meantime, over in the pianist corner I saw this link to a site with lots of theory exercises, which I share with you because just playing the treble "clef reading" quiz was really good for me (I'm not a quick reader yet)...

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/
Thanks, this is great! I just spent a half hour or so on there. I see some of the same exercises which we have been doing during lessons. It will be good to be able to try these at home.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I finally have all of Ballade no 1 right hand memorized. I'm only missing the left in a few spots and I have a couple areas to get up to speed. I also will be polishing different areas of the piece which I didn't do well enough the first time around. It should be ready by next recital, but if I don't have a good recording setup or I don't feel it's good enough, I may sit out or submit something easier.

This was a (very) long term project and it's very exciting for me to see it getting so close to completion laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Just wanted to say "hi". No major achievements...I think of achievements as things like earning the PhD or my dog taking Best of Breed or playing a Beethoven sonata. I'm thinking I need to change my definition and enjoy the steps to the achievements more. In that case I'm working on a Beethoven sonata (49#1) and working my way through the intro to Chopin book. I haven't achieved it yet but I'm working on getting my legato thirds in the Beethoven to express the music together. Every day it's a little better.

I'm awed and encouraged by all of your achievements...way to go PW members. Casinitaly...the risotto recipe would be great.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff, I'm glad you readjusted your criterion for achievement! We're talking baby steps here!

My achievement was to convince my teacher that I will not get depressed if it takes me a long time to master my new Chopin piece smile

and here is the recipe!
First, general instructions on making a basic risotto, then the specifics of my pre-red-dot session Salmon,rucola and cream risotto.

Risotto – basic recipe

Remember: have lots of broth ready – you may need more than you originally planned for – it doesn’t hurt to have a bit extra.

Remember: you have to stir a lot – be sure to go around the edges and bring the rice from the edges of the pan into the centre to promote even cooking.

Ingredients:

5-6 cups chicken broth
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
(NOTE: if you prefer you can use a mixture of olive oil and butter, thus reducing the amount of butter)
1 small onion finely minced
3 cups Arborio rice (or Carnaroli)
1 cup white wine (if you don’t want to use wine, just use more broth – but note that if you do use wine, the alcohol is cooked off and you are left with flavour, not “booze”)

Instructions:
Heat the broth in a pot, and keep it warm over low heat.

Melt the butter in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Let the butter foam, but do not let it brown!

Add the onion and cook (stirring often) until the onion is pale and oft (3-4 minutes). Again, be careful not to brown the onions.

Add the rice and stir until it is well coated with butter and mixed with the onions.

Add 1 cup of wine and stir gently until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.

Add broth – just enough to cover the rice – and continue stirring.

Repeat adding broth and stirring.

After about 15 minutes check your rice (taste it).
YOu are aiming for it to be "al dente" pleasantly chewy.

Total cooking will take about 18 minutes

For a simple risotto you can simply add freshly grated parmiggiano cheese at the end.

If the rice seems a bit dry, toss in a tablespoon of butter at the end to moisten it and make it shiny and pretty. Actually the final lump of butter is a much-used technique here, I generally PLAN to add it in.

For my salmon and rucola (rocket, arugula) risotto, I use smoked salmon (about 4-6 ounces) and about the same of rucola. You may want to go lightly on the rucola if you aren’t used to it as it has a rather strong peppery flavour. And then a few ounces of cream.

Make the risotto as per the instructions above (but don’t add parmiggiano).
When the rice seems just about done – when you think you just have to add one more round of broth – use the cream instead of the broth.

As the cream is being cooked into the rice, add the smoked salmon, broken up into small chunks. When all is ready, stir in the rucola. It will wilt immediately.

Voila!

A nice sauvignon blanc or an unoaked chardonnay goes very nicely with this dish.

Buon appetito!

Other risottos:

You can make risotto with anything – even fruit!
What you have to do is coordinate the timing of adding your veggies, or the meat, or fish (or fruit) – so that the rice and the other ingredients are ready at the same time.

I often start cooking veggies directly in the broth and then add them to the rice as it cooks.

You can make an apple risotto – or a strawberry and champagne risotto!

One of my favourites is squash and creamy gorgonzola! (peel and cut the pepper squash into chunks, and boil it in the broth – some of it will dissolve, and that’s fine. ) – Add the broth to the rice – and at the end add the cheese and let it melt.

The variations are limited only to your imagination!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for the recipe Cheryl. I made a delicious lentil/squash/coconut stew the other evening and have leftover squash!!! I will make your squash gorgonzola risotto tonight!!! YUM YUM!!!!

My achievement of the week is being able to play the first 8 measures of my Beethoven Bagatelle without looking at my hands. thumb I love this piece, but it has proven quite tricky!!!

I also discovered the music of Catherine Rollin. It is far too early for me to play any Debussy, but I LOVE impressionist music. I have been playing some Jennifer Linn pieces, but just found a delightful collection by Catherine Rollin too. In addition, I bought two titles called "Dancing on the Keys." The music is so beautiful, my husband who was sitting along side of me as I went back and forth regarding whether I should "click" to buy or not, said "Of course you have to buy that, I would love to hear you play it." 3hearts

Christine

[Linked Image]
O
O
Yesterdays lesson went great. I managed to amaze both myself and my teacher when a trill came out exactly as I had hoped (but had never managed before). The rest of the piece was also much better than before, and my teacher got all excited, pointing out all the little stuff that he would usually not mention yet to someone at my level. I guess that's progress smile

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your "trilling" lesson Oudeis!!! I have yet to amaze my teacher (unless you count being amazingly bad :D).
What piece are you playing?

Christine

[Linked Image]
O
O
@GlassLove: I'm playing the first of '3 dances for piano', by Jurriaan Andriessen, 3 little but fun pieces. A couple of posts back I included a video of someone playing all 3 dances in succession (this post).

In addition to Andriessen I'm working on some etudes by Heller, opus 47, nr 20 and 21 currently (21 is in maintenance mode, and I just started nr 20, but my teacher was already very happy with my progress).

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Killing, murdering, butchering - we sound so savage!

Well, how do you think we made it to the top of the musical instrument food chain?? cool whistle

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow! Those are BEAUTIFUL. I especially like the first piece on the video. Congratulations for your progress.

Christine

[Linked Image]
M
M
who knew you could get both good advice about piano playing and good recipes in the ABF? That risotto recipe is making my tummy rumble.

Congrats everyone on their AOTWs!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks Cheryl for the risotto recipe...can't wait to try it...yummmmmm

My achievement yesterday was to play the Bach Allemande one step closer to tempo with only two mistakes. Bach must sound light and effortless and as I've learned this one page piece it gets more relaxed and more Bach-ish.

One of my observations in watching a master class with Ann Schein was that the student played a nearly flawless and difficult piece. The master still had edits and suggestions to bring out particular passages for more musical performance. It has made my understanding of my own lesson more complete. Even if I do play it well, it's her role to find the passages that could be enhanced. So...the last few lessons have FELT better knowing that.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
G
G
Hi,

I have a PSR Yamaha GX 76 piano ...on nr. 5 it is a demo melodie called GrandPiano ....
It is beautiful , but i dont know how she named .Please help me to find how she called , it is very important to me.

Many thanks.

listen here : http://kiwi6.com/file/7wieyt1ort

My AOTW is completed Beethoven Op129 on lesson and got the instruction from teacher about pedal and details. Going to try playing with pedal smile

Today learning two new pieces - Beethoven Op119 & Chopin Mazurkas Op17 no4. Happy to start new pieces!!

Have a nice weekend with Piano.  ʕु•̫͡•ʔुʔ•̫͡•ཻʕʕु•̫͡•ʔु

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
Page 106 of 540 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission