2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A bundle with the VPC1, Ivory II American Concert Grand and the iLok key, can now be had for about 1400 euros at Thomann (Europe, if that's not obvious.) Almost makes me sorry for not waiting, since if I buy the Ivory II ACD, I will have spent about what the bundle costs. cool Though, I wouldn't have the onboard sounds of the Casio, which are quite good by the way.

Voxpops, which Pianoteq piano do you mostly use with your PX-5S? The Blüthner add on maybe?

When getting a controller, maybe it's advisable not to turn to the lowest cost DPs. Here is what says in a Keyboard Magazine review of the Ivory American Concert Grand.

Gripes? The Bb above middle C and the Db above that have a harshness that almost certainly is a factor of the source piano and not the Ivory sound engine, as we couldn’t reproduce it using other Ivory pianos.

So they blame the controller for what happened, though my guess is, they couldn't have used a low end DP to test the Ivory ACD.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Well at least now you've given a frame of reference. To some extent, the issue isn't merely one of "feeling like a piano," but also one of "feeling like a particular piano." I don't know the C3X in particular, but other Yamaha grands I've played have actions that are on the lighter side. So I would look at the Yamaha and Roland boards listed in the previous paragraph.

Well, it doesn't have to feel just like a C3X. I'm not that picky. I am used to switching between different acoustic pianos. I would say that the GHS action is getting a bit too light, too plastiky (is that a word?). I like the NW keyboard but I don't want to pay for a full featured digital piano that usually feature these wooden actions. I think another person said it. The VPC1 seems unique.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Out of curiosity, 4evrBeginR, why are you hesitating on the VPC1? It really is a unique product, I think, and it sounds like you are the target market for that product. Why fight it? laugh

Good question. I'm double checking, making real sure I didn't overlook alternate competitive product, not necessarily cheaper, but as keyboard goes, maybe a little different feel. I don't think one exist in the same price range as the VPC1, which is why I ask the infinitely more knowledgeable forum. smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TheodorN
A bundle with the VPC1, Ivory II American Concert Grand and the iLok key, can now be had for about 1400 euros at Thomann (Europe, if that's not obvious.) Almost makes me sorry for not waiting, since if I buy the Ivory II ACD, I will have spent about what the bundle costs. cool Though, I wouldn't have the onboard sounds of the Casio, which are quite good by the way.

Voxpops, which Pianoteq piano do you mostly use with your PX-5S? The Blüthner add on maybe?

When getting a controller, maybe it's advisable not to turn to the lowest cost DPs. Here is what says in a Keyboard Magazine review of the Ivory American Concert Grand.

Gripes? The Bb above middle C and the Db above that have a harshness that almost certainly is a factor of the source piano and not the Ivory sound engine, as we couldn’t reproduce it using other Ivory pianos.

So they blame the controller for what happened, though my guess is, they couldn't have used a low end DP to test the Ivory ACD.

That is not what I would understand by their expression 'source piano'. I thought what they meant was that the piano sampled had that intrinsic quality of harshness, and to support that idea, they say that other Ivory sampled pianos do not exhibit these qualities. Therefore, their sample playback mechanism is not at fault.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A bundle with the VPC1, Ivory II American Concert Grand and the iLok key, can now be had for about 1400 euros at Thomann (Europe, if that's not obvious.) Almost makes me sorry for not waiting, since if I buy the Ivory II ACD, I will have spent about what the bundle costs. cool

That's serious savings!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I believe by 'source piano' the review author is referring to the sampled instrument, not the controller.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V

Yes, mainly the Bluthner, but also the D4, depending on context.

Yes, as toddy points out, they're talking about the piano from which the original samples were recorded, not the one you might use to play the software.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
There's the Roland A88
http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1243

Ivory feel G which I think is the same action as on their FP4, FP50 and RD300-NX. I doubt the action will be as good as on the VPC1 though.

Interesting... I'll look into this as well. Yes, am mostly interested in wooden keys, but I won't be prejudice about something. I've tried Roland action, PH3, I think, not bad at all.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
As others have mentioned, the VPC1 doesn't have any real competitors. That's why it was such a big thing around here when it came out (still is). It was designed from the ground up for the exactly the demographic in this forum. That's why we have so many people bypassing the sound engines on high end pianos and using them as controllers.

Thanks that helps a lot!

Slightly related question: with the VPC1 at $1850 and the RD800 at $2500 (in the US), is there any significant drawback to the RD800 as a controller against the VPC1 if one in general prefers the lighter action, besides the looks? smile I know $650 is nothing to scoff at, but the stage piano sound engine/etc. seems to make up the value, if all else were equal.

Last edited by 8bithack; 03/14/14 03:16 PM.
E
E
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
There's the Roland A88
http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1243

Ivory feel G which I think is the same action as on their FP4, FP50 and RD300-NX. I doubt the action will be as good as on the VPC1 though.

Interesting... I'll look into this as well. Yes, am mostly interested in wooden keys, but I won't be prejudice about something. I've tried Roland action, PH3, I think, not bad at all.

I've never tried the Ivory feel G action but it's been mentioned on here that it's really quite different to PH3.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission