2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2245755 03/13/14 05:37 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Are there different levels or regulation? Would you perform as thorough of a regulation on a 5-year-old piano as apposed to a 25-year-old piano? If there is a difference, how does it usually affect the price? Is it strictly an hourly rate?

JoelW #2245771 03/13/14 07:25 AM

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Not sure what you mean by "levels." The only action regulation I know of is complete. Some regulation may take longer to do than others. The time factor depends upon how much "mileage" is on the piano. Accordingly, I billed by the hour.

Last edited by bkw58; 03/13/14 07:57 AM. Reason: clarity

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
JoelW #2246017 03/13/14 03:41 PM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Are you asking as a piano owner who has had regulation done, is going to have regulation done, is thinking of having regulation done, got an estimate for regulation, or as someone interested in becoming a technician, someone interested in doing work on their own piano, someone interested in piano technology in general as an interest, or some other reason?

Your answer to this question will help us decide how best to answer yours.

JoelW #2246267 03/13/14 11:22 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The answer is certainly yes, there are many levels of regulation.

The lowest level of regulating is "rough regulating" which is similar to the pitch raise for tuning. Greater levels of refinement can be reached depending on the time available and the chops of the regulator.

Take, key leveling, for example. How perfect is good enough? If I'm trying to my best job, it can take me a couple of hours. But I can get it close in 30 minutes. Compare the following example of a nice leveling job:
[Linked Image]
with the following video around the 30 second spot:

The same goes for every adjustment in the regulation sequence. Also there are certain adjustments that make a greater difference to the player. Today I spent about 75 minutes regulating a Yamaha that belongs to a teacher friend of mine who is always on a tight budget. I focused mostly on the middle sections and corrected let-off on several that were obviously lower than the rest, quickly ball-parked the drop, brought the checking up, and quickly went over the repetition springs. The player was very happy with the results.

You have to be careful, and need to understand what you can get away with, and what will open a can of worms. For example - don't adjust lost motion on an upright if the damper lift is really early, or you may have dampers sitting up off the strings. This happened to me when I was a younger tech. I had finished the tuning and wanted to do a little something extra so I quickly took up the lost motion, only to discover the piano was ringing like crazy! I didn't have time to adjust damper spoons so I had to turn the capstans back down - what a waste of time. blush

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
JoelW #2246273 03/13/14 11:40 PM
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I have had one occasion where I did some quick rough regulation on their neglected grand. marked "regulation" on the invoice, ($50 for that part if I remember correctly) and then heard they complained to another tech that I didn't complete the regulation.

I have also been called to inspect another Tech's "regulation" a pianist was complaining about as incomplete that was billed very low when I inquired as to the price, which led me to believe the Tech meant "touch-up regulation" or "rough regulate"-not completely regulate.

All parties need to be clear on the extent of the work performed verses what is fully needed.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
JoelW #2246616 03/14/14 04:34 PM

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
If I may clarify, please.

To suggest legitimate degrees or levels of action regulation short of complete (e.g. rough, partial, touch-up,) is like saying there are legitimate degrees or levels of tuning short of in tune (e.g. rough, partial, touch-up). I don't buy it. A piano is either in tune or it isn't. Likewise, an action is either in regulation or it isn't. Doing a so-called rough, partial, or touch-up on an action addressing not the whole and we ignore the third law of physics. These changes are not effected in isolation or in a vacuum.

This being said, often a client cannot afford regulation. Certainly we can (and do) take temporary measures such as level keys, eliminate lost motion etc. Again, these change are not effected in a vacuum, so is it really wise to call it regulation? Why not call it what it is? On the bill, note the specific service, "Keys leveled," but also note "regulation recommended," so there's no opportunity for misunderstanding later such as Ed mentions above.

Last edited by bkw58; 03/14/14 05:54 PM. Reason: typos

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
JoelW #2246636 03/14/14 05:19 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The tolerances for tuning are narrower than those for regulation. You can spend forever trying to get some poorly made pianos regulated to the tolerances of a better made piano, and you can spend way too much time regulating even a well-made piano to overly tight standards. You can do a quick "blind regulation" just like a blind pitch raise, and that can make so much of a difference that it can convince a customer that spending some more money is worthwhile. Doing that is not money wasted: The time that you spend getting the action close means that you will spend less time getting it better.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission